Redemption of a dark elf?

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Redemption of a dark elf?

#31 Post by Prince of Spires »

It all realy depends on what the devine intervention does if it adds to the story or not.

Deus-ex-machina type devine intervention is never a good story element. However, that isn't the only type there is, and often even devine interention is bound by rules. A good example of great devine intervention as a story tool to kick off the tale is the "Thomas Covenant" serries by Stephen Donaldson. There devine intervention just starts the story, but leaves the main character drifting and unsure of what to do. It creates as many issues as it solves.

Similar in this case. The devine intervention in the plot Ele sketched could simply be that the Sorceress is left behind, dying in a ditch. Isha takes pity on her (for what-ever reason you want to add in) and because she is a goddess for all elves, not just high ones, she saves the sorceress. Without expecting or demanding anything in return, she heal the physical wounds to the point where the sorceress doesn't die anymore.

The DE sorceress then can start questioning everything she believes in and has been brought up with. The selfless act to which she ows her life is completely strange to her. This starts the change, and the rest is up to the sorceress and the story to solve.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#32 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea, the idea with the Isha scenario is a starting point, the trials and tribulations she would go through trying to be accepted by the Asur, especially the Nagarythii, would end up being the bulk of the story.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Raithial

#33 Post by Raithial »

ahh, okay, then I can understand it.. the way I envisioned it was that it was somewhere in the middle of the story or something, rather than at the beginning.
But that's sort of because of the multitude of "redemption" stories I've read, written by fans often involve some kind of Dark-elf, who just does everything for senseless reasons and eventually gets this sort of über revelation of all the things she's done and then promptly changes into this happy-go-lucky type of character...
~w~ perhaps I should spend less time reading the fanfics of 12y/o kids...

and if I might add a little tid-bit; do include the reason whý Isha takes pity on her.
[img]http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh480/Dernaile/oacau0ek.jpg[/img]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#34 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The division of the race was a moment of great sadness for Isha, she loves all Elves. Poor Isha, always sad...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#35 Post by Aicanor »

Isha treasures life. Life as natural life and death cycle. She hates Chaos. As one of the few she is able to return any creature to their natural state. Chaos gods do not have to like it. The Druchii in question doesn't have to like it. She doesn't unlearn sorcery. So in the end it is she who decides if she accepts the grace or not.