Can High Elves fall to Chaos?

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tolrai

Can High Elves fall to Chaos?

#1 Post by Tolrai »

I know what essentially begun the fall of Ulthuan was the Slaaneshi cults and I know Slaanesh is closely related to elves in all forms, but what about Undivided in general? It happened to Galrauch, and he's a dragon! So if a mighty being such as him can be mutated and corrupted, what would happen to Elven common folk? I've just had this little ponder because after looking at the Warpfire and Chaos dragon on FW for the fifteen gazillionth (that's a real number y'know) time I have been deeply inspired to make something unique.

Also, hello, yes I'm new to this forum and would also take this chance to say a little bit about myself, my fantasy collections are; High Elves (handful of them), Dark Elves and Orcs & Goblins. I also do 40k but there are other forum sections for that, I believe, haha!

Thanks for reading. Cheers for any replies. :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Can High Elves fall to Chaos?

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The chaos gods don't have as much of an effect on elves as it does the other races and creatures of the world. There's a topic on this already I think. Something about the close ties to their gods or something.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#3 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Wasn't Galrauch, changed by a Greater Daemon of Change, after he split his head and neck in two..?
Technically he didn't succumb to the power of Chaos, as he was already dead.
Kinda necromanced with chaos.. ;)
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Natwest

#4 Post by Natwest »

do you mean like "Chaos Elves"? I think youd have to be careful not to create completely surpass elves and make a supreme race, but it coiuld look quite cool.
[url=http://www.BannerFans.com][img]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7756/6151892660193b0m3.png[/img][/url]

Visit my painting Blog - Necrosphinx on the go! - http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42911

Natwest
The Silly Dragon

#5 Post by The Silly Dragon »

'Can High Elves fall to Chaos?' ever wonder who the Druchii are and what the Cult of Excess is? They worship Slaanesh and Khaine (or Khorne really). Its called the sundering.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Giladis
The Merlord

#6 Post by Giladis »

The Silly Dragon wrote:'Can High Elves fall to Chaos?' ever wonder who the Druchii are and what the Cult of Excess is? They worship Slaanesh and Khaine (or Khorne really). Its called the sundering.
That is no longer true since 2008. Now the sundering was caused by the dark gods of the elves rather than Chaos gods and Storm of Chaos stuff that happened didn't.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#7 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

I have seen a Chaos Warriors army using High Elves as a base. Lots of conversions, it looked awesome.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#8 Post by Eldacar »

Anything can fall to Chaos, given enough time. Some races, however (such as the elves in general, or dwarfs) are resistant to the physical aspects of Chaos corruption (i.e. mutation) because of they way they're designed. The Slaaneshi Anointed, back when they were first introduced, were explicitly noted as having mutations, but they spent tens upon tens of thousands (variable time in the Wastes, after all) of years gaining exposure to mutation, and they were still barely even altered by the standards of the WH world.
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
The Silly Dragon

#9 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Giladis wrote:
The Silly Dragon wrote:'Can High Elves fall to Chaos?' ever wonder who the Druchii are and what the Cult of Excess is? They worship Slaanesh and Khaine (or Khorne really). Its called the sundering.
That is no longer true since 2008. Now the sundering was caused by the dark gods of the elves rather than Chaos gods and Storm of Chaos stuff that happened didn't.
I choose to still go with the Chaos gods influenced it as i don't like the introduction of these new Dark Gods out of nowhere. I see the 'Power of Darkness' spell as just purely 'Boon of Tzeentch'. It angers me that Asuryan patron of all Elven gods can't turn to ones like Khaine and go "look Chaos are the main enemy stop making our children fight each other you idiot or we lose them all" being that Asur are the only ones left that worship Asuryan...but then alot of GW fluff never makes sense to me so i mostly choose to ignore it and make up my own.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Natwest

#10 Post by Natwest »

Guys, have a look at my tumbler blog for a glimpse at this new races codex. Its not very good but all the items were seperate pics so it took me a while: natwestfenwn.tumblr.com
[url=http://www.BannerFans.com][img]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7756/6151892660193b0m3.png[/img][/url]

Visit my painting Blog - Necrosphinx on the go! - http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42911

Natwest
Mireadur

#11 Post by Mireadur »

There was a dark elf hero of chaos in 5th edition. Aekold hellbrass was his name. Well it didnt say it was an elf, but his armour resembled so much that of dark elves back in the day. I should read his fluff completely, probably it even mentions him being a dark elf.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#12 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

He does look like a Dark Elf, but his fluff suggests he was a Knight of the Empire, that's a pretty amazing old model...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
draxynnic

#13 Post by draxynnic »

Giladis wrote:
It's not as obvious as it was, but the hints that Malekith and Morathi are consorting directly with Chaos are still there (while it was explicitly stated in previous versions of the DE book).

However, in an example of typical hypocrisy, Druchii laws ban worship of the Chaos gods, with Morathi's connection to Slaanesh being secret.

My read of things is that the majority of Dark Elves still see themselves as Aenarion's true people, those who are willing to do what is necessary to preserve Elvenkind when their squeamish cousins that exiled them are not. In their mind, worshipping the beings that Aenarion spent his life fighting would be a betrayal of the cause. Thus, regardless of what Malekith, Morathi, and their inner circle may be up to, the majority of the Druchii remain separate from Chaos, believing themselves to still be the fanatical defenders of the world holding the line at all costs against Chaos... rather than its pawns.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#14 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Slaanesh, I know black library isn't canon, but the Sundering Series, specifically Shadow King suggests that Morathi made a deal with Tzeentch.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#15 Post by Luna Guardian »

Asurion Whitestar wrote:Wasn't Galrauch, changed by a Greater Daemon of Change, after he split his head and neck in two..?
Technically he didn't succumb to the power of Chaos, as he was already dead.
Kinda necromanced with chaos.. ;)
Galrauch got possessed after swallowing the head of a Lord of Change, IIRC. Or did they change that too? As for elves being corrupted, sure why not. It's been in the fluff since long ago, so although the current edition may not explicitly say so, I don't see any reason why they couldn't be. I mean, dwarves and ogres can be corrupted and they're also supposedly resistant to the influence of Chaos.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians