Tar-Eltharin Dictionary

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Senthuil

Tar-Eltharin Dictionary

#1 Post by Senthuil »

We are very limited with language for a race as Games Workshop simply have not put one together which is useable for conversation. GW's explanation for this is that Eltharin is far too subtle for other races to understand. However, we have been able to pull together a basic dictionary, using words and runes from the tabletop rulebook, WHFRP, and Black Library works.

Sources are shown in italics. Where WHFRP is cited as a source, please note I don't have a copy of this, but was given the information by a friend who has GM'd this for a dragon's age! :wink:

A

Aethyr - The Winds of Magic, also used to describe the realm of Chaos http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic
Amreir - Winterblade (magical sword of Athielle, a princess of Ellyrion) The Shadow King, Black Library
Anar - Dawn, light WHFRP, 3rd Ed.
Anaris - Sword of Dawn (magical weapon forged by Vaul) High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Anel - Isle The Shadow King, Black Library
Anurein - The river Reik WHFRP, 2nd Ed.
Aqshy - The wind of fire, red http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic
Arhain - Shadows, night, stealth, secrets, perfidiousness High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Arhaluin - Shadowdeath (magical lance of Prince Kheranion, a follower of the forbidden cults and ally to Morathi before The Sundering) Malekith, Black Library
Asai - Greater words (the name of the group magical words) High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Asrai - Wood Elves Wood Elf rulebook, current Ed.
Asun - Greater runes (collective name for the high runes of Tar-Eltharin) High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Asur - The eternal flame, Mark of Asuryan, symbol of rebirth and lordship High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Athel - Noble Citation needed
Auyl - Sorrow Citation needed
Azyr - The wind of the heavens, blue http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic

B

C

Cadrathi - Starblade lance (magical weapon of Finudel, a prince of Ellyrion) The Shadow King, Black Library
Caladhai - Symbol of the line of kings, the dragons of flame High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Caldaith - Grace, power, music of the stars High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Caladh - Dragon Citation needed
Caladim - Pride, nobility, hubris Citation needed
Ceyl - Law, order, justice, passion, sword that draws blood High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Cha - Lion The Shadow King, Black Library
Chayal - Lion's Claw (axe of Korhil, captain of the White Lions of Chrace) High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Chamon - The Wind of metal, yellow, gold http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic
Cynath - Chill, death, silence, loneliness High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Cytharai - The twilight pantheon, gods embodying the darker aspects of Asur nature High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Cython - The serpent, wisdom, knowledge, funility, the symbol of Lileath High Elves rulebook, current Ed.

D

Daroir - Remembrance, memory, the strength of stones High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Dhar - Dark, or chaotical magic Dark Elves Rulebook, current Ed.
Druchii - Dark Elves High Elves Rulebook, current Ed.

E

Eadar - Animal The Shadow King, Black Library
Elicirus - Ending, denial Citation needed
Elthin Arvan - The Old World WHFRP, 3rd Ed.
Elthrai - Doom, hope, inexorable fate High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Elui - Ending or denial High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Eyin - Pass (as in mountain pass) The Shadow King, Black Library

F

Felchu - Bird of prey The Shadow King, Black Library

G

Ghur - The wind of beasts, brown, amber http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic
Ghyran - The wind of life, green http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic

H

Harathoi - Youth, boundless energy, jealousy High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Hyish - The wind of light, white http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic

I

Ithil - Silver WHFRP, 3rd Ed.

J

K

L

Lacoi - Might, glory, fear of death High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Lathain - Storm, wrath, gently falling rain that brings eternal sleep High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Laure - Golden citation needed
Lecai - Light, nobility of the soul, lightness of being High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Loren - Forest citation needed

M

Mar - Sky citation needed
Menlui - Water, life, majesty, weakness, torrential rain and thunder in distant mountains High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Minaith - Skill in arms, spirituality, the lost way High Elves rulebook, current Ed.

N

Na - And/Of WHFRP, 3rd Ed.
Nagrain - Spear of ice (magical weapon of Bathinair, a prince of Yvresse) Malekith, Black Library
Nauglir - Cold one (a minor dragon, these naturally subterranean creatures are sometimes ridden by Druchii. Note, Drukh-Eltharin for Cold one is "Kynead" druchii.net) Dark Elves Rulebook, current Ed.

O

Olithos - Axe Citation needed
Onai - Lesser words High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Onun - Lesser runes High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Oriour - Blood, birth High Elves rulebook, current Ed.

P

Piluth - Security, mathematics WHFRP, 3rd Ed.

Q

Qaba - Hidden knowledge WHFRP, 3rd Ed.
Qhaysh - High magic WHFRP, 3rd Ed.
Quyl - Tears High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Quyl-Isha - The tears of Isha, sorrow, mercy, endurance, mourning for lost children High Elves rulebook, current Ed.

R

S

Saraeluii - World's Edge Mountains Malekith, Black Library
Sarathai - The rune of the World Dragon, symbolising defiance, unyielding High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Sariour - The moon, magic, fortune, evil deeds, destruction wrought by nature High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Sariour na Yenlui - Morrslieb (the second moon) WHFRP, 3rd Ed.
Saroir - Eternity, infinity, the flame of love that burns all it touches High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Sarui - Silence The Shadow King, Black Library
Senlui - Swiftness, accuracy High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Sethai - Flight, wind, cry in the far mountains High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Senthoi - Unity, loyalty, broken promise High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Sol - Sun, consciousness WHFRP, 3rd Ed.
Shyish - The wind of death, purple, amethyst http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic
Sith Rionnasc'namithshir - "Star Gem of the Sea", An Elven fortress that existed at the mouth of the River Reik, the site of modern day Marienburg in the Wasteland. Destroyed during the War of the Beard. WHFRP, 3rd Ed.

T

Tar - High (as in social status rather than vertical position!) WHFRP, 3rd Ed.
Thalui - Hatred or vengeance High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Thanan - Hidden power, inner strength, indecisiveness High Elves rulebook, current Ed.
Tor - City, town The Shadow King, Black Library

U

Ulgu - The wind of shadow, grey http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Winds_of_Magic
Uirithas - Unicorn The Shadow King, Black Library
Urithair - Destruction, conquest, sacrifice of innocence High Elves rulebook, current Ed.

V

W

X

Y

Yal - Claw The Shadow King, Black Library
Yenlui - Balance, harmony, chaos High Elves rulebook, current Ed.

Z
Last edited by Senthuil on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
[color=#400000][i]"Show the Druchii no mercy, for they would offer you none!"[/i][/color]
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Tar-Eltharin Dictionary

#2 Post by Giladis »

This is very nice, can we please know who are we in your post.

Cheers
Senthuil

#3 Post by Senthuil »

Of course, I had posted an introduction to myself in the Warhammer Online forum. I ran a HE RP guild for 3 years, and together with other Warhammer fans in the guild, put this together. Submissions were added as someone came across a new word, for example if they had read a new release such as Shadow King before I had.
[color=#400000][i]"Show the Druchii no mercy, for they would offer you none!"[/i][/color]
Giladis
The Merlord

#4 Post by Giladis »

Senthuil wrote:Of course, I had posted an introduction to myself in the Warhammer Online forum. I ran a HE RP guild for 3 years, and together with other Warhammer fans in the guild, put this together. Submissions were added as someone came across a new word, for example if they had read a new release such as Shadow King before I had.
Great. If you put a source for every word I will sticky this.

Cheers
Senthuil

#5 Post by Senthuil »

Will do, bear with me though as I will have to trawl through my Black Library books for some of the words. We had not listed sources in this dictionary, which was put together over 2 years. Something I regret!
Giladis
The Merlord

#6 Post by Giladis »

Senthuil wrote:Will do, bear with me though as I will have to trawl through my Black Library books for some of the words. We had not listed sources in this dictionary, which was put together over 2 years. Something I regret!
No rush. I will see if I can help fill any gaps.
Senthuil

#7 Post by Senthuil »

Much appreciated! :wink:
Senthuil

#8 Post by Senthuil »

Giladis wrote: Great. If you put a source for every word I will sticky this.
Done! There were about 7 words I couldn't find the sources for, so have just removed them. I'll add them if I do find the word plus origin again.
~Milliardo~

#9 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Eh, I say keep em in there. Just write 'unsourced' or something next to them so people know. Great work! :3
Code13

#10 Post by Code13 »

I'd say put the words with unknown sources in but just mark them as unknown or even "citation needed".

Id rather have an uncertain word than none at all

And good work
Giladis
The Merlord

#11 Post by Giladis »

I agree with Milliardo. Leave them just put "citation needed".
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#12 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

I say add them back in aswell, as above.
With uncertain words, we could also add words taken by breaking down the words and in part we already know.
Ie: Anaris -sword of Dawn, Anar -dawn, therefore is -sword.
Ithilmar -Sky silver, Ithil -silver, therefore mar -sky.
Saraeluii -world's edge mountains, Sarathai -world dragon (rune of), Annulii -our mountains, therefore Sara? -world, therefore ii (added to the end of a word) -mountains.

Just for a few.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Senthuil

#13 Post by Senthuil »

Righty ho, all sorted. It's an interesting suggestion to break down known words, I'd be happy to drop them in (with "citation needed" remark of course!). Glad it's of some use to you, it took so long to put together originally, I felt it would be a shame for it to drop off the internet, hence finding it a new home. :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#14 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Breaking down composite words can be tricky, but it should help a little.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Tor

#15 Post by Tor »

Athel an interesting one, as its used for Athel Loren and Athel Toralien in Malekith. I would suggest maybe it means realm/domain or something similair.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#16 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Tor wrote:Athel an interesting one, as its used for Athel Loren and Athel Toralien in Malekith. I would suggest maybe it means realm/domain or something similair.
Heavily forested realm/domain...?!
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
~Milliardo~

#17 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Athel means forest, definitely. It says as much in several sources that I conveniently can't remember. :lol:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#18 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Seeing as elves originated in forests it makes sense that their realms would be named for the forest around it. It's common to see a prince or noble refer to his castle as athel 'so and so'. I was reading about Eltharion's father, he wept as his home was razed. It was a fortress and named Athel Tamarha.
btw the 4th edition army book is amazing! So much fluff, the art work isn't great but the stories... On the other hand, the 6th edition book has less awesome fluff but some amazing art work, what the devil happened to the 7th edition book, it got a couple of great art pieces and some limited fluff...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Senthuil

#19 Post by Senthuil »

I've also heard that Athel means noble. Could it perhaps be one of those Elven words with more than one meaning?

Or (something that I thought about after studying Tolkien's Sindarin and Quenya languages...) Loren appears very similar to Lorien (lothlorien, meaning golden wood/forest). Could we be completely wrong and Loren means forest, therefore Athel Loren = Noble Forest?
Code13

#20 Post by Code13 »

Id definately say Loren is forest, you also have the Laurelorn forest in Nordland in the Empire that has (in WFRP) a sizeable Asrai contingent too.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#21 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Laurelorn, is that a human word though?
Code13

#22 Post by Code13 »

Possibly a human corruption of the elvish for woods is my point actually
Senthuil

#23 Post by Senthuil »

I emailed GW for clarification a couple of years ago. Needless to say, they didn't reply. The "citations needed" entries make me nervous, but for now it will have to do. :|

Right, I have made the controversial move of labelling Athel and Loren with the new suspected meanings. "Mar" and "Laure" have also been added. "Laure" means "golden" in Sindarin (Laureloth = golden hair), and appreciating a lot of the older Eltharin was heavily influenced by Tolkien Elvish, I think it's a safe bet to assume that this is what Laure means in Laurelorn.
Asurion Whitestar wrote: Saraeluii -world's edge mountains, Sarathai -world dragon (rune of), Annulii -our mountains, therefore Sara? -world, therefore ii (added to the end of a word) -mountains.
From what I have been able to gauge, an "ii" at the end of a word signifies it is plural. For example Nagarythi and Druchi show an elf is of a certain race. Add a second i to show there are several of them. This can't be proven though.
~Milliardo~

#24 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Yeah, I want to change my answer - Loren definitely means forest.

That's kind of funny you emailed GW... I can only imagine how confused the person reading it was... "T-this isn't in the manual!" "Ignore it then."
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#25 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Senthuil wrote: From what I have been able to gauge, an "ii" at the end of a word signifies it is plural. For example Nagarythi and Druchi show an elf is of a certain race. Add a second i to show there are several of them. This can't be proven though.
Well spotted Sir!
Code13

#26 Post by Code13 »

Id not overly worry about "citation needed" words, dont forget GW are making it up, and I 100% guarantee that none of them are professional linguists!

All we can do is follow the forms and paterns they have laid down already (which are often contradictory - look at the names of places we know like Marienberg, and compare it to other name forms and word couplings.)
Senthuil

#27 Post by Senthuil »

Tiralya wrote: Well spotted Sir!
:lol: ... thank you, but I'm a lass! (Don't worry, I get this a lot - not many female GW fanatics out there :wink: )

Having fun working with you all on this updated version, here's hoping Ulthuan.net ends up with the most concise one out there!

Milliardo, yes, I certainly think my query went straight in the bin. It is a pity as those cursed dwarfs have a very good lexicon.
Giladis
The Merlord

#28 Post by Giladis »

Senthuil wrote:From what I have been able to gauge, an "ii" at the end of a word signifies it is plural. For example Nagarythi and Druchi show an elf is of a certain race. Add a second i to show there are several of them. This can't be proven though.
Then again the people of Nagarythe are Nagarothi.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#29 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

HaHa~ I cop it the other way round ^_^'
Ulthuan.net is already the best of the race specific websites around, what you're doing it making it untouchable!
Code13

#30 Post by Code13 »

Meaning a group of them would be Nagarothii?

SO someone from Yvresse would be an Yvressi
A group of them would be Yvressii