Reaver knigths and other regional units

Here you can discuss High Elf culture in all its aspects, be it their society, language, arts or philosophies. The results of your discussions will eventually be used to enlarge the amount of general information about the High elves on this site.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ilthaen

Reaver knigths and other regional units

#1 Post by Ilthaen »

I recently managed to get in my hands a copy of the old 1993 high elf army book (missing the 5th edition one still) and while reading it i noticed that it mentioned that the reaver knigths are not exclusively from ellyrion.

I found this curious because for other regional units there is no chance of finding them in other realms (like caledor princes, or tiranoc chariots). The book says that the best reaver knigths come from the province of ellyrion, but it does not say anything about exclusivity. The newer books i´ve read on the other hand practically associate the ellyrion reavers with the province, much like the other regional troops.

I was wondering what would be the most correct take on this. I personally like more the idea of them being not exclusive to ellyrion, as light cavalry is a kind of troop that it makes sense for all the provincial rulers to employ in their armies, plus it makes easier for thematic armies based on other provinces to include the reaver knights into their background.

Also while at it, what do people think about the rest of regional units? I wish there were several more non-regional unit so we could have more generic units to play with. I was planning on writing some fluff to base my army around Tor Elithis (now that it is no longer destroyed by daemons) but it is a pity that most of our elite units are so localised, and basically for any army outside of Ulthuan i will have to make up my own fluff for most units. I can always make "count as" units and give them other background which is cool in itself, but i would also like to have a better fluff base on which to expand.

Thanks for reading.
geoguswrek

Re: Reaver knigths and other regional units

#2 Post by geoguswrek »

Well seeing as reavers perform functions as messengers and whatnot during times of peace, it makes sense that there would be some in every province.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Tahl

#3 Post by Tahl »

I'm under the assumption that the "army" the books present us is the combined total Asur force. (ie armies the Pheonix King would be able to field). He gets the best of the best when he calls to arms, but not the only ones.

Each province still has it's own independant and rounded army. So each province will have Cav, Infintry, archers, spearelves etc and most will probably have their own elite troops. Chrace probably has it's own heavy cav for it's princes army but it's totally inferior to say Dragon princes, so they're not explicitly mentioned but do exist.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
geoguswrek

#4 Post by geoguswrek »

Tahl wrote:Chrace probably has it's own heavy cav for it's princes army but it's totally inferior to say Dragon princes, so they're not explicitly mentioned but do exist.
DON'T TELL LUNA!
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Act of God

#5 Post by Act of God »

geoguswrek wrote:
Tahl wrote:Chrace probably has it's own heavy cav for it's princes army but it's totally inferior to say Dragon princes, so they're not explicitly mentioned but do exist.
DON'T TELL LUNA!
Don't tell him what? That a flying s7 lizard would easily devour a s5 lion? :wink: I should think that would be obvious, but if he want's to test that theory, I do believe that the dice would agree that his lion just doesn't cut it (not that those chariots aren't gorgeous models).
Tahl

#6 Post by Tahl »

Luna is already aware he is inferior.
He likes it, even all his avatars are lions. He couldn't be more explicit about it.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#7 Post by Luna Guardian »

Tahl wrote:Luna is already aware he is inferior.
He likes it, even all his avatars are lions. He couldn't be more explicit about it.
Big words from the guy who has a chick as an avatar.

Alright, let me set this straight. Again. I don't question the physical strenght of a dragon. It's purely science, a being with that much mass must have proportional muscles so it doesn't crumble into a heap of meat, bones and other bodily parts. I don't even question the biting strenght of a dragon, since the muscles that have to move such a large maw also have to be proportional to the size of the maw.

What I do keep pointing out though, is that the prowess, skill and courage of any elf hiding behind such an overgrown musclebound salamander as well as their selfsecurity about certain parts of their anatomy must be terribly lacking. Anyone can appear good from atop a huge firebreathing lizard. Only those who fight for themselves can be truly great.

Also, the need and impact of dragons has always been highly overrated. The lazy beasts slumber the centuries away, never being around when needed. Good for us that they're not needed and that the Druchii invasions are either halted completely or severely weakened by the northern provinces. You dragon boys and your pets can lay around and pretend to do something important.

As for the cavalry of Chrace being inferior to the dragon boys of Caledor, check out wamphyri101's Lion Knights and revise your opinions.

Bring on your cavalry, horse princes, we'll see how well they fare in the forests and mountains of Chrace! (Yes, I realize that we use chariots here, but that's just because we're so much better than you :wink: )

Also, Tahl wears a dress and make-up.
Last edited by Luna Guardian on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Act of God

#8 Post by Act of God »

Luna Guardian wrote:What I do keep pointing out though, is their selfsecurity about certain parts of their anatomy must be terribly lacking.
And here I thought that insecurity was already shown to be prevalent throughout their whole race with the tall conical helmets, spears, and abundant skirts on every man in the army. :lol: But then again, that would likely explain why their entire race is dying out and steadily declining in population, while, either that or they're a little to "friendly" with each other.
geoguswrek

#9 Post by geoguswrek »

No, elves are dying out for one very simple reason: all the men wear skirts, have long hair and many of their clothes have breasts on them. This makes it nigh on imossible for an elf to tell between male and female.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
lathian

#10 Post by lathian »

Tahl wrote:I'm under the assumption that the "army" the books present us is the combined total Asur force. (ie armies the Pheonix King would be able to field). He gets the best of the best when he calls to arms, but not the only ones.

Each province still has it's own independant and rounded army. So each province will have Cav, Infintry, archers, spearelves etc and most will probably have their own elite troops. Chrace probably has it's own heavy cav for it's princes army but it's totally inferior to say Dragon princes, so they're not explicitly mentioned but do exist.
Those would be the silver helms. Provincial nobility in the cavalry arm for everyone except Tiranoc, Caledor and Ellyrion.

I'd have to see the passage that you're referring to. In general, the call for messanger cavalry came out and was answered by every province, but the only ones to attain the title "reaver knights" were the ones from Ellyrion.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#11 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Luna Guardian wrote: Also, Tahl wears a dress and make-up.
Yes, but doesn't he look good.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#12 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote: Also, Tahl wears a dress and make-up.
Yes, but doesn't he look good.
Quite pretty
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Ilthaen

#13 Post by Ilthaen »

Tahl, you made a very good point. I had not thought about it, but it is very likely it is as you say. I think the army book definitely represents a mixed force, but don´t give much detail about provincial forces or how they differenciate from each other.

lathian, here is the passage i was refering to:
Reaver Knigths
The Reaver Knigths are a common sight throughout Ulthuan as they tirelessly patrol its most dangerous areas. The Reaver Knigths are made up of the wildest and most headstrong sons of the noble houses. Many come from Ellyrion where elves are born to the saddle and trained to figth from horseback from an early age.
lathian

#14 Post by lathian »

It's an older passage from what I recall. My opinion on the older stuff is take it or leave it when it makes no difference. I can't see anything inherently wrong with them coming from other provinces, so sure, I guess they can.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
dangit

#15 Post by dangit »

As far as I can tell there aren't regional armies, they're all made up of units from other provinces that responded to the call for help. Of course there will probably be more of a specific kind of unit than others that answer at any given time. or I'm wrong (I don't think so) and I just made a fool of my self.
Member of the [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#16 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I believe there are regional armies, what the army book shows us is a broad spectrum of the units that can be found. I believe that each kingdom has it's own heavy infantry, heavy and light cav, scouts and so on. It's up to use to give them names and such, hence my knights of the storm god, iron wolves of Yvresse, and rangers.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
~Milliardo~

#17 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Stop bumping 2 year old threads, man. :)
dangit

#18 Post by dangit »

~Milliardo~ wrote:Stop bumping 2 year old threads, man. :)
I looked at the date after I posted :D .
Member of the [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]