Maps and drawing maps

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Maps and drawing maps

#1 Post by Luna Guardian »

We're all familiar with the map of the warhammer world, even more so now with the Total War games filling in a lot of smaller details (rivers, ports, etc.). However, for mapping out events in stories or for whatever other reason, the maps seem to be very much lacking. I recently ran across a super easy to use software for making really nice looking maps (once I learn to use it properly), and thought that some of you might find it useful!

Wonderdraft

How have you solved the "missing maps" problem? Has it even been a problem?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Ellyriel

Re: Maps and drawing maps

#2 Post by Ellyriel »

That is indeed a nice software. Thanks for sharing. I love those maps. I remember when I was a kid asking my parents to photocopy the maps from a series of books where you are the hero (Lone Wolf series) and I pieced together all the maps from each book to form one big map.

Thanks for sharing!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Maps and drawing maps

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

I love maps. The most magical for me was the Lord of the Rings map. In the edition my father had, which I read when I was something like 14, there was a fold-out version of the map. It was amazing. It both made the world feel huge and it was great to track the progress of the fellowship.

Another good memory of maps is from even longer ago. Early '90 I played Pirates! on the amiga. I didn't have the orignal book, which had a map of the caribbean in it. So my father made photocopies of the whole thing, which was 4 A4 pages I taped together. It was huge.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.