The Fall of Gondolin

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

The Fall of Gondolin

#1 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: The Fall of Gondolin

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think I've read most of the story in different places. But it can be nice to have it all in one book. And more books is always good of course. And it contains some of the central theme's to Tolkiens work, the rise and subsequent fall of kingdoms. And (though I'm not sure if that will be part of the book), how the fall leads to another rise again in the struggle against evil.

One to add to my Christmas list :D
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:But it can be nice to have it all in one book.
I agree and it's a great and mythically powerful story. If I read more these days I'd buy it.
Kaladin

#4 Post by Kaladin »

Cool! I definitely want a copy of this! (even if there are different accounts of this event in other books like the Silmarillion)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Kaladin wrote:even if there are different accounts of this event in other books like the Silmarillion
There are I think. Tolkien has written a lot more then appears in the Silmarillion. I was mainly for his own entertainment and as practice. In the series "the history of middle earth" Tolkien's son has gathered a lot of the stories and notes of his father. They're a nice read (at least the parts I've read) if you're a die hard Tolkien fan and want to know more. Just expect a lot of the stories to be unfinished or weird. It took a lot of practice to create a masterpiece. It does show a nice evolution towards the deep mythology of Tolkien though.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Karak Norn Clansman

#6 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

YES! Finally. At last a handy place to point others to and find it oneself. Tasty cover art as well. Among the best battle scenes written by Tolkien, and he excelled at battle scenes. This is one to savour.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Karak Norn Clansman wrote:Tolkien, and he excelled at battle scenes
Anbsolutely KNC. Dwarves vs Glaurung. Balrogs v Feanor. War of Wrath, the list goes on. I especially like how the Rohirrim make up verse viking-style.