I need an adult!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

nick larking

I need an adult!

#1 Post by nick larking »

Ok, im considering going back into painting. Main goal will be painting figurines again, but i might do battles also if people still play in my area.
Thing is so much has changed, my last visit on this forum - Last visit was: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:39 pm. And i kinda stuck to this forum longer than i played, last game i played was just before the end of times release.

It seems age of sigmar got rid of all unit formations and just blobbed all races together into 1 or 2factions.
Im not sure if i like it but im willing to try it, currently dont have a rulebook though. And whats this 9th age thing about? Is that a non-GW rules to keep the old races and 8th edition style of gameplay alive or is it something completely different.

Any summary and some basic knowledge on AoS, 9th age and some tips to get started again with WH fantasy would be great.

Hope this forum still get used, was my favorite fantasy forum and kinda sad to see that it died down for a large part even though the reason it did is kinda obvious.
"Today we mourn Sir Technical, horrifically dismembered in battle. He was unable to survive the fight, but his form was impeccable!"
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: I need an adult!

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I've tried both 9th age (you got what it is exactly right) and AoS, but I've not really gotten into either of them. I'm sure both are perfectly fine games, but time is limited. Most of my gaming time goes to Mordheim, or Bloodbowl, with occasional games of oldhammer or Kings of War.

If someone wanted to play and asked me to pick 9th age or AoS I'd go with 9th age, but I'd put that down almost entirely to what sort of game I enjoy more rather than trying to say one was better than the other.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

We're still here :)

AoS has come a long way since it was first released. The basic rules haven't changed much. But they've added several expansions, especially the generals compendium that made the game a lot more playable. Don't play it if you want to play a warhammer style game. It's different and doesn't have to do much with WH. From what I gather, it's an ok game. It's quick and easy to learn. And once you get into it it has some nice intricacies. For a recent discussion on AoS, try Is it any good

9th age started out as the follow up on warhammer 8th edition. It's fan made and started out with 8th edition as a basis. It then took out or replaced a lot of the things many people found annoying. It has slowly started drifting away from 8th edition and has started finding its own place. One very noticeable difference is that the points totals are double. So what would have been a 2000pts game in 8th is a 4000pts game in 9th for instance. In my opinion, it's to overcomplicated and has too many rules. The basic solution when some balance issue is found is to stick on an extra rule. But there are a lot of people who like it. And at the moment it looks like it will end up as one of the dominant fantasy games of the next few years.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
nick larking

#4 Post by nick larking »

Thanks for the replies.

What the HELL GW...
Just noticed bolt throwers are discontinued? As are HE spearman? HE archers? Maybe im just blind, kinda sucks if they are gone even though i should still have a shit ton laying around...
Any more important HE models from GW that are discontinued?

I kinda like the puffy HE archers, picking DE and WE [edit: or Seaguard] variants instead is just not the same :(
"Today we mourn Sir Technical, horrifically dismembered in battle. He was unable to survive the fight, but his form was impeccable!"
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Silver Helms and the Hand Maiden. That's probably it. Some other character models probably.

I think, with AoS, GW decided to drop relatively unpopular models. The main reason people bough spearmen (and probably archers as well) was not because they liked the models but simply because they were core and you needed to bring them. I don't think I've seen someone write they were a big spearmen fan and loved painting hundreds of them. And since in AoS the concept of core disappeared and mixing models between army factions became easier / more common, I think people simply stopped buying those models.

Still, could be worse. You could be playing TK or Bretonia...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aerendar Valandil

#6 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I just keep - slowly, as ever - building up my armies (HE, a bit of DoW - and I have bought two small others later), inbetween some historic projects and occasional loose models o small groups. I have a big hoard and I keep using squares. I juist use the models for what I want. I've played Song of Blades and Heroes with them, Frostgrave. Kings of War, I could play Mordheim, I'm planning Dragon Rampant and I am still ready for 9th age and if it happens, AoS will hava a go.

Build a great fantasy army, there are many rulesets with many forms of enjoyment.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aerendar Valandil wrote: Build a great fantasy army, there are many rulesets with many forms of enjoyment.
Agreed. And especially with an army like HE, you can play in a lot of systems. A lot of fantasy wargames are bound to have some elven faction.

Check out my plog

Live_waaaaagh

#8 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Something that I don't know if it's been mentioned int he thread but is important too: People still play 8th edition. Sure, a lot of 40k players are playing AOS, so if you live near a GW store, the game is played quite a bit. and sure, 9th age grabbed hold of many tournament gamers, because it's the one many tournaments picked to back.

However, there are still many people playing 8th edition too. MiniWargaming still play, we (LiveWaaaaagh) still play it and there are many others. It'll depend, as always, on what people around you play or who you can recruit!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#9 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

It's true. Some of us still play 3rd edition occasionally.
nick larking

#10 Post by nick larking »

Ye, going to a non GW gaming store/community today. Guess ill see whats being played, if anyone even plays at all, i knew they had a handfull who played fantasy 2years+ back 5-10 people)

My wallet aint gonna like it though, already dropped close to 500$ on it but had to replace paints, moved mainly to vallejo paints instead of GW and bought some new models and other crap.