Wartales online campaign: the Dragonback tale

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

DemonSlayer

Wartales online campaign: the Dragonback tale

#1 Post by DemonSlayer »

Video trailer!
The lives and deaths of today are naught but food for tomorrow's tale...

The year is 2520. For over four thousand years, the Dragonback Mountains have sheltered countless goblins. But before then, another master had claimed that region as home. In those ancient days the dwarves built Ekrund, a mining hold away from the World's Edge Mountains, driven by the ambition to achieve greater things than what their homes offered.

For several centuries, the hold thrived. But then came the greenskins, in a tide so great that Ekrund could not resist. The dwarves fought bravely, their resolve in the face of such numbers a testament to their race's courage. But in the end they fell, and to this day the Dragonback mountains are infested with goblins and worse.

But things change, as they always must. Greed has unified the merchant houses of Marienburg, and they have gathered an army of mercenaries to capture the ancient hold. There, they hope to set up a port city, capable of dominating the area's trade- and replace Barak Varr as the Black Gulf's greatest naval presence.

The hubris of Marienburg has rallied the dwarves of Karak Izor, Karak Hirn and Barak Varr to a common cause. Infuriated by mankind's arrogance, they have organized an expedition of their own. No manling shall be suffered to walk the hallowed halls of lost Ekrund, no human king allowed upon its throne. The dwarves are zealous in their dedication to keep the humans from taking what belongs to them- by force, if necessary.

While the humans and dwarves squabble among themselves, a great Waaagh! approaches from the south. Belligerent as ever, the orcs of the badlands are not about to miss out on a scrap between the humies and stunties. They aim to take the harbors of Ekrund for themselves, and construct a great Waaagh!fleet there- but first, they need to kick out the goblins currently occupying the hold, and keep out the humies and stunties long enough to carry out their plan.

As three armies clash over this ancient prize, the scribe sets his quill to parchment, and pens another tale of war...
Wartales is pleased to announce the start of an online Warhammer campaign, and you are all invited! We are scheduled to begin on April 3rd; until then, feel free to register on the forum, read all about the campaign's background and mechanics, and sign up for your favorite faction.

http://trueds.nl/wartales
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/True_demonslayer/ChaosUndivided001.jpg[/img]
[img]http://tinyurl.com/yqsh2e/HotWAotBScopy.jpg[/img]
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Wartales online campaign: the Dragonback tale

#2 Post by Giladis »

Cool :D
DemonSlayer

#3 Post by DemonSlayer »

Thanks, hope you'll sign up for the campaign :)! I realize there's no dedicated high elf faction in this campaign, but that doesn't mean the Asur can't play a role in the conflict! After all, Marienburg has a large district for elves, so they might support Marienburg's ambitions. On the other hand, if the merchants of Marienburg were to become the Black Gulf's foremost naval power, it would most likely disrupt the economical and political balance in the Old World, something the elves of Ulthuan would no doubt want to prevent.

Bear in mind that there will eventually be a second campaign which will take the events of this one into account. That means you can influence the future of Wartales, both in character by furthering Ulthuan's agenda and out of character by showing that plenty of Asur players are interested in getting back into online campaigns. If enough elf players show up, then next campaign will definitely feature an elf faction!

Also, since this has come up a couple of times, I just wanted to point out that you do not need to play any actual warhammer games to take part in the campaign! While these games were usually required for earlier campaigns, I realize that not everybody has time to play a game every week. So you don't need to! Instead you get to report once per turn, regardless of whether you've played a tabletop game or not.

Of course, written battle reports can still earn you some extra gold, but the same reward can be earned with stories, pictures of models you've painted etc...

So, if you considered joining but worried about needing to play a game each week, then I can reassure you. Wartales is open for anyone who wants to join :)!
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/True_demonslayer/ChaosUndivided001.jpg[/img]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

It looks cool :)

My HE character would actually support multiple factions so he would win either way. As a merchant prince, he would fund, enable and support both the dwarves and the Marienburgers, in exchange for trading rights or other benefits. The actual fighting is too messy and dangerous and the outcome is not clear enough. So that would be the best way to get ahead with minimal downside.

Which would probably mean my character would end up a NPC... ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Giladis
The Merlord

#5 Post by Giladis »

Can't promise actually taking part as I am buried with 9th Age work, but I always follow these things, if for no other reason that to see the story develop :)
Ramesesis

#6 Post by Ramesesis »

I´M DOING MY PART!

You others better join or I may become a gnarly old ent!
Ramesesis

#7 Post by Ramesesis »

We need to show them pesky gobbos and the vertically challenged folk whose boss! the Marienburgers will happily reward you well for services rendered and Mathi Olavinpoikka of Kemi hold no prejudice toward the fair elven folk. Hairy midgets is another matter....
DemonSlayer

#8 Post by DemonSlayer »

If people want to sign up for the forum and provide commentary from the sidelines, or simply follow the story, that'd be great too! The campaign is open for everyone and I hope lots of people will end up playing in it, but I understand that time constraints can sometimes get in the way, and I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from joining the forum! A story about an outsider's view of events, or even just practical feedback on the campaign or the website, would certainly be appreciated!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

I'll see how much time I have. I might just follow along from the sideline and perhaps add in some commentary if I have time.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
DemonSlayer

#10 Post by DemonSlayer »

With one week to go until turn one starts, here's the pre-game update!
The first blank page
The eve of war
The quill yet to draw ink
The sword yet to draw blood

Beneath the Dragonback mountains, the hordes of goblins skulk in the darkness, continuing their petty games of cruelty and treason as they have for thousands of years. Little do they know that a storm is coming their way- three mighty armies, sparked by greed, honour, and lust for battle. The darkened halls of Ekrund shall soon be lit again with the fires of war, but only time will tell who shall claim the dwarven hold. No matter the outcome, the scribes will pen their tale of war and loss- the stage is set, waiting only for the actors to arrive.

From the north, Marienburg has sent the Dragonback Expansion Effort. Their fleet's flagship is captained by Caspar van Gelding, who has provided no small part of funding for this, Marienburg's latest expedition. With him stands Mathi Todt, the Nordland-born mercenary who made a name for himself among Tilea's mercenary companies. Together, these men lead the Expansion Effort in their ambitions. Great wealth will be theirs should they find victory here, yet they are not the only contenders.

Fueled by their burning desire to see Ekrund restored, the dwarven lords Durak Ironhelm and Freyr Fairhair make their way to Ekrund. They prepare to wipe the mountains clean of goblins and defend their hold against all comers, be they hated greenskin or human hold-stealers. While lord Ironhelm is motivated by honour- the blood of Ekrundfolk running strong in his veins- lord Fairhair is a prime example of a shift in the dwarven race's thinking. Like his High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer, lord Fairhair seeks to restore the golden age of the Dawi, in which the dwarven race retakes their lost holds. And since Ekrund was first among those lost, it will make a fine start for what the dwarves are calling the Age of Reclamation. With them stands the border prince Lorenzo Aquila, who fights at the dwarf's side- a reminder for the proud Dawi that not all humans have forgotten their oaths.

In the south, the greenskins Grumsnot Snotbane and Skirgit Crowbait have all but consilidated the Waaagh!. With the slain boss Zagruk's plan still fresh in their minds, the pair would conquer the Dragonback mountains for themselves, subjugate the goblins who make their home there, and drive out the humies and stunties coming their way. Once the hold is secure, the real work will begin- a Waaagh!fleet will be built to carry the greenskins across the seas and into the Old World.

A tale of war will be written, but how will the story end? Only time will tell...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

Exiting stuff :)

Bring it on!

Check out my plog

DemonSlayer

#12 Post by DemonSlayer »

Turn one update!
As the first orders were given, the quill danced on parchment,
penning history with the blood of war's first fallen.

The goblins who infested Ekrund and the surrounding mountains had ruled the Dragonbacks for thousands of years. Through sheer numbers and cruel cunning, they had waylaid all those seeking to liberate the tunnels with contemptuous ease, and murderous glee. Few who set out to claim the ancient hold ever returned, and of those who did, few escaped the tunnels with their sanity intact. But now, for the first time since Ekrund fell to the greenskins, the confidence of those goblins who felt secure in their homes began to falter. For now not one but three armies descended on them, each so bent on destroying the others that they deemed the greenskin hordes little more than an afterthought. Such dismissal sent a shiver of fear through the Dragonback greenskins- they instinctively felt that these armies thought of them not as occupants, but as vermin to be purged.

Perhaps the most measured of approaches was employed by the Dragonback Expansion Effort. Led by the wizard-turned-businessman Kaspar von Gelding, the lion's share of this, Marienburg's latest attempt to extend its influence across the world, marched upon Gronti Mingool, establishing a tenuous beachhead upon the southern shores of Ekrund. The former alchemist was supported in his efforts by the merchant known only as Atlas, who, during a scouting mission, happened upon a sizeable cache of coal. It is unclear how this small treasure was left untouched within the port city's confines. Perhaps the Dragonback goblins had simply overlooked the prize, or deemed it worthless- after all, blacksmithing is a rare skill among the greenskins. To the Marienburgers, however, it represented a grand prize, and not just for its monetary value. Ekrund's wealth was bult on the coal trade- to be the first to recover Ekrund's treasure was considered a good omen among the men.

With the port secured, the Nordland-born mercenary Mathi Todt was quick to advance to the hold proper, bringing with him a sizeable force of mercenaries- both those in his regular employ and those hired just for this job. In the shadows of the giant statues of Barak Urbar, these soldiers for hire attempted to set up a forward camp from where they could venture into the dark halls beyond- but it was not to be. A veritable horde of trolls burst forth from the gates just as Todt's men were about finished setting up their camp and digging latrines. Surprised by this sudden attack, which the sentries had failed to spot, Mathi's warriors were unable to secure the position despite massive casualties among the trolls.

Further north, the dwarves of the Dalazidrungak Drekaz were more successful in entering their ancient hold. While both the border prince Lorenzo Aquila and lord Freyr Fairhair failed to secure the gates leading into the oldest part of Ekrund, their leader Durak Ironhelm had managed to break through, supported by both Rakam Ironhammer and a mysterious dwarf, who had apparently been waiting for the Dalazidrungak Drekaz to arrive. This scarred, mutilated and slightly insane dwarf then led the throngs to Khaz Vithang- the hall of bones, as their mysterious guide called it. And an apt name it was, for heaps upon heaps of goblin bones littered the floors, so much so that not an inch of the marble tiles underneath were visible. Despite this ghastly sight, the dwarven throng held its breath as they entered the ancient hall. All realized that they were the first dwarves to set eyes upon this hall in over four thousand years. All were awestruck, and some openly wept at seeing what had been lost so long ago. The Dawi had come home.

The greenskins, not sharing the dwarves' reverence and unhindered by any sort of respect for the dwarves' sensibilities, wasted no time in launching a vicious assault on the gathered throngs. Their numbers were immense, yet the fires in the heart of Durak Ironhelm and his warriors were ignited by the knowledge that they walked in their ancestor's shadows. With a ferocity that would have made Grimnir himself proud, the dwarves set about dispatching the goblin horde, which quickly faltered under the unbreakable shieldwall presented by Durak, Rakam and their mysterious guide. The bloodshed was great that day, a down payment on grudges to be settled, and those scant goblins who didn't escape fell to Dawi axes.

While the Dragonback greenskins suffered greatly, the same could not be said for the greenskins of the badlands. Emboldened by the ascenscion of their new warboss, Waaagh! Skirgit wasted no time plunging itself into the dark halls underneath the Dragonbacks with all its might. There was muttering among the horde that Skirgit was no true leader, but merely a puppet- and that boss Borag was the true power behind the dung heap which Skirgit called his throne. For now though, the boys were content. Truthfully some of the bigger orcs were a bit confused about why they were following a goblin around, but they figured that if this guy was the boss despite being a goblin, then that was a pretty impressive feat worthy of their respect- for now.

The fortresses and gates on their way held no interest to the Waaagh!- as singleminded as the greenskins are, they had but one objective in mind, and that objective was the First Delve. Where once the Ekrundfolk consolidated the viability of their fledgling hold, the greenskins made quick work of any Dragonback goblin who stood in their way- killing, enslaving, recruiting or eating them, and in some cases all four! By the time they were done, the First Delve was wholly in Waaagh! Skirgit's hands. With their victory, they had taken a great step in securing the Dragonbacks.

The first move had been made, the first chapter penned. A great strike had been dealt by all three armies vying for the Dragonback mountains, but for now, the future of Ekrund was still uncertain.

==========

Holding up a perfumed hankerchief to ward off the pungent odour of this little shop in Monte Castello's poorest and grimiest streets, the cloaked figure turned around the sign on the door which read "Aperto per il commercio". This was important business, after all, and there was no need to have the city's riff-raff walking in on this little transaction. Behind a counter strewn with worthless trinkets, there sat a man dressed in commoner's garb, peering over some papers- his literacy a clear indicator that he was more than a simple commoner. In the scum-filled den of thieves that was Monte Castello's poorest district, literacy could mean only two things; either this man was a criminal of note, one likely to have a following of lesser thugs and thieves in his employ, or the man was an officer of the law. The latter seemed unlikely, as the man was currently outside the small Waaagh!-proof keep used by the constables to keep them safe from the scum of the city.

'Signor,' the cloaked figure started, startling the elderly man from his papers. Fumbling for his spectacles, the man needed a moment to compose himself before replying.

'Ah, welcome, signora...?'

The woman pulled her hood back, revealing her serious features. 'Just call me Anna,' the woman said. 'I'm here about the stones?'

The man grinned now at the prospect of making money. Greed did wonders in this neighbourhood- and everywhere on the world, really. Alreay the man was going through what Anna guessed was a crate under the counter, finally producing a dirty leather bag which looked like it had spent the better part of last week in a pigs' sty. Without pause the man opened the bag and spilled its contents on the counter.

Four sapphires rolled out, perfectly cut and translucent. 'Here they are. I hope they are to your satisfaction?'

Anna picked up one of the stones, carefully weighing the small but precious thing in her hand, and holding it up to the light of a nearby candle. 'They will do. Your contact already has the payment for them.' With that, she began gathering up the sapphires, but stopped when the man wagged his finger at her.

'Ah-ah, signora. You paid my contact for information. Now, you pay me for the wares.'

Anna cast a look at the shopkeeper which would have felled an orc. 'An exorbitant amount, for information. I was assured that the value of the stones was included in the price. That is why I paid extra in the first place.'

The shopkeeper quickly gathered up the stones, putting them back in the bag, grinning his rotten teeth bare. 'You are mistaken, signora. That price only paid for my time. Which is, I assure you, far more valuable than pretty baubles.'

'I see,' Anna stated. She cast a quick glance at the door, the raised her left hand, which had been hidden underneath her cloak until now- revealing a small hand crossbow. The shopkeeper had but a moment to look surprised before the twang of the string cut through the silence, followed by the ruckus of the man falling backwards into a big pile of more worthless trinkets- a fitting final resting place, Anna thought coldly. She quickly scooped up the stones, then left via the same way she came. The shopkeeper had no guards, nor weapons. He was too important for that- either because he himself was too highly place in Monte Castello's underworld, or because others who were needed him alive, possibly to laundry their money. Either way, nobody in Monte Castello would be fool enough to touch him. Anna smiled, for the first time since the entered the shop. Nobody in Monte Castello was leaving the city in a few hours either, at the head of a fleet owned by the Dragonback Expansion Effort.

==========

'Boss? Err, boss?'

The orc approached his boss with some trepidation. The boss was in a foul mood- fouler than usual, even- and few dared to approach the massive orc at the head of the horde.

'Wot izzit, Gashfang?' If the orc was capable of fear, the low, growling voice certainly would have brought it out.

The smaller orc hesitated, looking back at his mates who had encouraged him to step up- but who were now doing their very best to look away. 'Well, da boyz an' I, we woz wonderin',' he began.

The big orc growled impatiently. 'Out with it, ya git.'

'Well... Izn't we going tha wrong way?'

The massive orc's red eyes glanced at Gashfang, for the first time since the smaller orc had piped up. 'We ez going where I sez we ez going, so we ez going da right way,' the boss explained, his irritation barely held in check.

'Yeah boss, but ya see, most uv da Waaagh! went souf, didn't they? Followin' warboss SkirgaaaaAAAH!'

Before the orc could finish his sentence, his boss exploded into a flash of violence, locking one arm as wide as the other orc's torse around poor Gashfang's head, and using the other to rip poor Gashfang's head off his torso. Throwing both halves at the mob behind him, the boss screamed with rage at his followers.

'I'z da boss, ya zoggin' grots got that? I ain't takin' no orders from no weedy gobbo! We go where I sez we go, we krump who I sez we krump, and ifn you lot got a problem wiv dat, you ken take it up wiv me choppa!'

The orcs cowered, until their boss finally turned around and marched on, urging them all to follow. And all of them knew better than to contradict him again.

Kaptain Blacksquig had made his way to Ekrund.