Elf Heavy Archers of Ancient Times Released

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Karak Norn Clansman

Elf Heavy Archers of Ancient Times Released

#1 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Elf Heavy Archers of Ancient Times

Painted by Cultofkhaine.

These miniatures are now released! Order your archers here. Also on Warseer, T9A, Chaos Dwarfs Online, and Blogspot. These 32mm scale whitemetal miniatures are monopose clones of the same sculpt, mastercast-cloned in resin by Zealot Miniatures then production cast in whitemetal by Griffin Moulds JJP. See price list below for various deals on larger orders. 20mm bases included. Unpainted & unassembled.

Note that if you find their size too large for living Elves, then statue duty always exist in terrain and unit fillers. Fancy a marble painting challenge?

Scale shot:

Possible flaws: Apart from scale, a few scattered air bubbles exist on the lower cloaks of some of the cast miniatures, as do an odd miscast on the inside of the cloak below the tunic, once again on some (not all) of the Elf archers. The air bubbles are simple to fill out or turn into cloak wear and tear, while the cloak miscast is hardly visible due to its hidden location, particularly in a ranked unit, and is possible to carve away or fill out with sculpting putty. These mentioned mouldmaking flaws must be expected to show up on some Elf archers in every order, and will not be treated as product faults requiring replacement or recompensation. Likewise, please do not ask me to pick out flawless miniatures only for your particular order:

Also, some few bows might come out a tad bent, down by the hand after casting, storage and/or shipment. This is easily fixed by bending them back in position, and in case of rare cracks or even broken-off bows, the bows were sculpted thick enough to drill into and pin back into place on the hand. There are, in some places, double mould lines resulting from various master moulds and production mould on a few of the Elf archers; this is easily cleaned off with a modelling file or hobby knife.

Ranking-up: These cloaked Elves would be difficult to rank up on ordinary slottabases with flat tabs under their feet. Therefore, these miniatures are instead made with a simple tap under their right foot. Simply drill a hole through the base, enlargen with a hobby knife and glue the tap into the hole and the feet onto the base. Note that smooth ranking-up is something of a challenge, which is however easily overcome by some careful testing and planning, as in the picture below:

Stringing: The blog Massive Voodoo have a fine tutorial on hand if you wish to string the bows, although thread or fishing line could be used instead of human hair. I always apply super glue to the bowstring and arrows, to keep the string's drawn rigidity and make sculpting details and painting simpler on the arrow. This does thicken the string, however. Arrows are easily made from thin needles, positively given a slim arrow head and steering feathers with green stuff. Tip: Make sure the arrow's length matches that of the quiver's. Note that the Elf heavy archers' bows were sculpted with a detail ring at both ends to aid any bowstrings glued around the bows.

Sculpt shot for detail coverage:

In ancient times, the Elven composite bow held sway over vast tracts of land and struck fear and silvern steel into the heart of Orcs and Menfolk. Its reach was long and strong, and the shafts of its arrows marked the end of warbands, armies, cities and tribes alike. It was likened unto lightning, for it was death upon steppe and highlands; plains and mountains; swamps and deserts; forests and seas alike. This ranged weapon was the favourite tool of death for the multitude of Elven tribes, realms and city-states which dominated such vast regions. By composite bow and spear and blade did the dreaded Elves crush any resistance from lesser races underheel within their bloodied spheres of influence, and wherever their cohorts and legions marched, mortals trembled and turned to their gods in fear.

In ancient times, death came all too often at the sharp steel end of an Elven arrow, and often the victims had little clue as to why they must die, for the needs and wants, desires and reasons for action of the haughty elder tribes remained locked behind arrogance and veils of mystery. The true secrets of the Elven composite bows' manufacture remained likewise ever locked within Elven minds and appears to have never truly spread unto other races except for in heroic legends. The composite bows of the Elves were fabled not only for their sheer power and rumoured enchantments, for they were known far and wide for their intricate and demanding making, which went to excesses that corresponding Human bowyers would never dare imagine. Whatever magic and munande craftskills went into the creation of these deadly weapons, the results were composite bows and strings able to withstand wet and cold and salt without slacking, which enabled Elven archers to roam in any clime, at any altitude, without their shots weakening. Thus were laid the foundations of carnage without end nor limit.

In ancient times, mortals lived violent lives filled with hardships and trials, and the landscapes of the world were awash in blood and feuding. Yet for all the savagery of the nomadic hordes and barbaric settled peoples, few calamities were as feared as the wars of Elven tribes, whether against each other or against lesser races. Raids and invasions alike saw the deaths of Men, Orcs, Goblins and many more races. None were spared this terror. In great numbers did nomads and savages drop dead under the hail of Elven arrows. Great and terrible wars were fought between Elves and Dwarfs, as the strongest civilizations beneath the skies grasped for vengeance, power and territory. Uncounted masses of younger mortals, enslaved or free, were constantly caught up in the maelstrom of conflict, and the bones of the perished ones littered the ground from sea to sea, arrows protruding from skulls and ribcages. For this was an age of empires, and their wars ravaged the world as greatly as their monuments and achievements soared.

And in the midst of this swirling chaos, the power of the bow endured for millennia.

Elven archery came in many forms whether with worldly or otherworldly arrows, whether magically touched or poisoned or flaming, or merely a rain of silvern arrowheads glinting deadly in the light cast by sun, moon or torches as it fell upon the foe. Elven archery came in the form of ambushes, and it came in the form of assassinations. Likewise Elven archery came in the form of sharpshooters clearing the skies or battlements of besieged walls, and it came in the form of mounted bowmen terrorizing the steppe lands and beyond. Yet most iconic of all the shapes it took in ancient times were the disciplined bowline, with ranks upon ranks of heavily armoured Elven composite archers standing tall in rigid lines born out of endless drills, drawing, nocking and loosing their arrows as if all the hundreds of bowmen were one and the same being. Along with the lockstep advance of Elven phalanxes, they were the very image of order on the battlefield, and their regimented display alone awed foes and unnerved lesser mortals to whom such firmness and exactitude were otherworldly in the midst of carnage. The bewildering manoeuvers and feats of shooting pulled off by such line companies of Elven archers were the stuff of sagas and fear among the feral tribes of many races, and even the tough Dwarfs acknowledged their value as warriors, however grudgingly.

These were ages of fire and bloodshed, of primal fear, ruthless greed and titanic ambitions. The hunger for power was fed at the point of blades and arrows, and great deeds of glory and infamy alike lived on in legend long after all characters involved had turned to ash and dust. One of the Elf archer companies which won eternal fame were prince Draecarion's Longbows, who pioneered the next level ranged weapon of Elven armies and reaped bloody and fantastic achievements upon the battlefield, including shooting the black dragon Maeranichas clear from the sky at Ivory Rock; out-shooting the malignant Dwarf handgunners at Hierlan Ford; and massacring the elite human foot soldiers of emperor Mignusian III's Jackal Guard despite their closed ranks of tower shields and fine heavy armour. Some heavy Elven archers who knew renown were mercenaries, like the Teal Cloaks of Jaendrath Bloodeye, the Swan Feathers or the Hundred For Hire of disinherited prince Maelgor, famous for singlehandedly suppressing the legions of defenders upon the great city walls of Toraxaslan with a withering shower of arrows, which allowed swordsmen to climb the walls by ladder, virtually unchallenged during their long and perilous ascent. Other Elven heavy archers of note were uncannily accurate and could shoot into the eyes of quick and nimble small birds in the sky, such as the Goldbow company were known to do, or hunting schools of flying fish across the wavy sea's surface in the manner of the Kraken Patrol of the island city-state of Finalgon.

Whatever their feats and glory in war, Elven archery skills by far surpassed those of Dwarfs and Men and Goblins, and the ease with which the Elves handled their silvern bows seemed to deny the inacurracy inherent in such weapons. Massed Elven archery backed by ballistae, sorcery, hunting eagles and javelins were likened unto a symphony of death from afar, yet one need not look to such sophisticated musical pieces to glimpse the capabilities of Elf archers, nor to face the scorn with which they viewed the prey of their arrows:

"Out on field of fair Roenalloth,
a foul horde roamed in stink and sloth,
fed old on bark and young on broth,
red lice in hair, kilts torn by moth,
out-hollowed cheeks and rabid froth,
black pelts of rats sewn into cloth,
these filthy Men met Elves in wroth.

A princeling son of Mannish chief,
came forth an' 'splayed muscles like beef,
in gurgled tongue he blamed Elves thief,
for stealing his kin's coast and reef,
wishing back his tribe's lost fief,
and kept with body his speech brief,
showed his arse, not worn a leaf,
so we shot him there to father's grief.

Sent Menfolk Ogre, their hardest hitter,
yet Elves stood fast in ranks aglitter,
drew strings taut to skylarks' twitter,
aim notched sharp while Men askitter,
ahooting 'long their foul maids' titter,
Ogre roared scum Elf throatslitter,
then arrows sang toward fat critter,
impaled in rain to death so bitter.

Then Elven bows turned upward still,
and voice of Men fell mute, lack-will,
the Elves drew strings as one by drill,
the hearts of Menfolk gripped by chill,
thoughts all turned from ale and swill,
our arrow's feathers not for quill,
their silvern points now blood to spill,
archers sensing huntsman's thrill,
red banelust thirsting for its fill,
as Seaking's greyhawk yelled out shrill,
we loosed the arrows for the kill.

The mortal Men their death did sign,
when arrowproof they thought 'selves fine,
for each Elf on field the Men were nine,
wished to in tent of Seaking dine,
a plan to hang Elf-heads in pine,
yet arrows fell, Man-whelps did whine,
bravehearts fleeing, losing spine,
us Elves stood fast in firing line,
slaughtered Menfolk raw like swine,
and Mannish blood ran red like wine.

Cheers!"

- Alguin wine drinking song
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Elf Heavy Archers of Ancient Times Released

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

These are rather big, but look really nice. I've painted one (just remembered that I still need to do pictures for you) and it went quite well. Plenty of detail. For my stuff I'll likely use them in terrain pieces, but I think they will be fantastic.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:These are rather big, but look really nice.
+1

Some lovely detailing.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think they're great. Both very High elven and very unique. They indeed are a bit larger and would probably look out of place next to older GW archer models (like the plastic monopose). But I'm thinking they would make great shadow warriors (they are definitely bad-ass enough). Or as a stand in for a unit of Maiden guard. Or just a character with reaver bow of course.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Vermis

#5 Post by Vermis »

As a sculpt it's very nicely done, very neat and everything. But as a gaming miniature... sorry, I think it's impractical. With the 20mm bases, size comparison, and announcement on T9A forum, I take it it's intended for use in WFB. But it's so big it's a head taller than even HE heroes, and can't rank up in a straight line on the 20mm bases. To be honest the single duplicated pose puts me off too.

I don't want to discourage you as someone starting out selling miniatures. Not at all. (I think the worst response I could give is to ignore it and say nothing, but YMMV) If that's your sculpting, you've got some very obvious talent, but it almost seems like a hobby sculpt that turned out nice, and casting and selling was an afterthought. Heck, I can't blame you too much for that, and the scale creep: I've sculpted a few figures that needed cut down in the middle of the process. But that's why I think a little more planning is needed.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Vermis wrote:and announcement on T9A forum
?

I definitely missed this. What was announced?
Vermis wrote:But it's so big it's a head taller than even HE heroes
Judging from the size comparison at the top of the page, I'd say it's not as bad as that. It really depends on how current your miniature lineup is. But it's only slightly taller then the SM model from the IOB set and of a height with the new PG models. I agree that slightly smaller would be better, but it's acceptable for me.

The monopose and ranking I can live with. I'm considering using them as Shadow Warriors. They're to heavily armoured for my archers and look too elite (my archers generally fail to wound whatever they're shooting). But 5 - 10 of them as shadow warriors will work wonders. And the size will matter even less in that case, since they're likely to be on their own.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Karak Norn Clansman

#7 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Thanks for the replies and critiscism, folks! Much appreciated.

@Shannar, Sealord: Thanks! I hope you enjoyed painting it. I realize that I added a tad too much detail to the breastplate, and will reduce it a little for elegance's sake for the future planned spearmen. Looking forward to see what you do with them, and gallery pictures are welcome for future updates.

@SpellArcher: Thank you!

@Prince of Spires: Thanks! That's a good idea. Looking forward to what you cook up for them. As for T9A announcement, it is the same as here. All you missed was copy-paste.

@Vermis: Thanks! WHFB, KoW, AoS, Mordheim, Frostgrave, 28-32mm fantasy use, yep, that's the intention. Small point before touching on size: It might be possible to rank them up straight on 20mm bases with the right method (i.e. putting one rank more to the right, the other more to the left, as is usual with archer miniatures). I've not tested and cannot confirm either way. We used the slightly diagonal ranking for my brother's unit, pictured before basecoat above. Mainly because I wished to avoid feet sticking out too much from the base, resulting in paint chipping. Perhaps it is the only working way to rank up the unit, or perhaps there is an alternative way. It remains to be seen.

As for size, yes they're too big for averagely tall Elves. They're obviously amateur sculpts (sculpted by someone with lifelong weakness at scale and eye-measurement - this doesn't only run in the hobby and interests, but pop up time and time again despite attempts at thoroughness in work). Posing might also be noted as a weak area, particularly the rigidly straight legs, scalemail and robe; compare with beautiful Russian Alternative Elfin. These are all weaknesses I hope to get better at in due time and there are some hopeful signs on the issue of scale/size in the latest sculpts, so later miniatures might conform better to exact industry standards, so to speak.

Instead of waiting possibly indefinitely for sculpting skills to sharpen, it is better to release flawed minis with warts and all and allow interested hobbyists to decide for themselves if what they see is good enough by their own standards. The oldest miniatures in the range will sport beginner's errors for years to come, but even such flaws are acceptable to some collectors, otherwise they would not buy it for e.g. their WHFB armies (identical issues exist with my evil dwarfs range). It's all up to personal judgement and taste here. I fully understand why one would reject them, and me and my brother do count with a lot of lost sales due to size alone. Things to expect when in amateur startup mode.

Even so, whether or not someone think them too big for their army, the size of the archers is not beyond the boundaries of possibility, if one was to look at very tall humans (example) and glance at the recruitment standards for the 18th century Prussian grenadier regiment, the Potsdam Giants. A military vanity practice not unthinkable for Elves. And if thematic oddball regiments are out of the question, then statue duty always remain if one fancy some terrain or pedestal work. ;)

As for monopose, the Elves like their drilled regimented lines, so they seemed the perfect choice to begin dabble in unit sculpting. There will be a monopose kneeling variant in the not too far future, and eventually maybe monopose reloading variants and command group in a very long time. Sculpting several miniatures whose size, symmetry, various poses, equipment and details conform very well between each other is too much of a challenge to attempt for something like Elves or Dwarves at this time (very large work investment with uncertain outcome), but I hope to get there eventually. Slave Orcs will be a first attempt.

As an amateur one has to make do with what one have, but eventually more ideal standards for size and poses might be reached. All critiscism and feedback is read and contemplated, and one is anyway always one's own harshest critic, so I encourage people to share critiscism such as you did. Once again, thanks!
Karak Norn Clansman

#8 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Bloodbeard has painted his heavy archer in Wood Elf colours. Ready for Frostgrave adventures:

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

I could see these guys in this scheme in an Avelorn army too.