My wife would have killed me...

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

My wife would have killed me...

#1 Post by Prince of Spires »

Or at least been rather mad at me. Had she known that is...

Last night I was having a panting session. Like usual, I was sitting on my couch, painting stuff on the small salon table. Not the most comfortable (or ergonomic) place to paint. But this way I can keep an eye on the tv for some background noise and have a chat with my wife. Anyway, I diverge. Last night, my wife went to bed early while I painted on.

And somehow while closing a GW paint pot I managed to spill half of it. Table, floor pants and, more alarmingly, the side of the couch. One of those times you're glad you're alone in the room. I quickly started cleaning. Lots of water and soap and scrubbing. Perhaps 5-10 minutes of scrubbing, but it doesn't show anymore. And, in a matter of lucky timing, just as I was putting all cleaning stuff away again my wife walked in again. I can imagine she would have been rather mad if I had managed to ruin the couch. Now it's just the pants that are ruined. Unless someone knows how to get (white) paint out of pants that is...

On the upside, I did put the last bits of paint on my dragon mage. Just flocking / sanding of the base left to do and it's done. Need to buy some glue first.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: My wife would have killed me...

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Last night I was having a panting session.
Too much information Rod!

:)
Prince of Spires wrote:Like usual, I was sitting on my couch, painting stuff on the small salon table.
I do this.
Prince of Spires wrote:Perhaps 5-10 minutes of scrubbing, but it doesn't show anymore.
=D>

and relax...
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
#-o Spelling isn't really my forte...
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:Perhaps 5-10 minutes of scrubbing, but it doesn't show anymore.
=D>

and relax...
I was quite glad my wife didn't sit on the couch when she walked in again. It was pretty wet. Kind of a dead give-away that something happened. She did sit on the chair next to the couch. Close call...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

Spilling paints sucks - glad you managed to cover it up! Personally, I've ruined a table cloth recently, while viciously dry-brushing the Garden of Morr :lol:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Myth

#5 Post by Myth »

Hey Rod, glad you got away with it ;)
Didn't happened to me so far, but you never know what might strike you when least expected...
The good thing out of this trouble is that now we have shared experience applicable to us, other hobbyist ;)
Someone has to suffer first to achieve greater good :)
SpellArcher wrote:
Prince of Spires wrote:Like usual, I was sitting on my couch, painting stuff on the small salon table.
I do this.
+1 :D
SpellArcher wrote:

:)
:lol:
Duranthalis

#6 Post by Duranthalis »

I had to take a break from painting at the end of summer because the garage was too hot with no airflow (90-110F outside). Even at 10pm I was dripping sweat because the day's heat got trapped in there. Wifey suggested that I paint at the dining room table and I laughed. Told her that she wouldn't appreciate it if anything happened to the new flooring or the 70+ year old antique table.

When I put it that way, she told me that my paints stayed in the garage.

Now that it's fall, the days are ranging from 50-80F, and I am starting to gravitate back to my workbench...
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Aicanor
Rainbows

#7 Post by Aicanor »

Prince of Spires wrote:And, in a matter of lucky timing, just as I was putting all cleaning stuff away again my wife walked in again. I can imagine she would have been rather mad if I had managed to ruin the couch.
Good save! :lol:
Prince of Spires wrote:Now it's just the pants that are ruined. Unless someone knows how to get (white) paint out of pants that is...
The best way is not to let it dry. Soak it with water and put some soap on it and it usually comes off quite easily. Dry paint is more of a challenge. A lot depends on what the material is. You can always try to soak it in water with some detergent (prefersbly one used on fabrics). Quite like stripping paint from plastic models. Except perhaps I would avoid using brake liquid if I were you. :mrgreen:
Prince of Spires wrote:On the upside, I did put the last bits of paint on my dragon mage. Just flocking / sanding of the base left to do and it's done. Need to buy some glue first.
Now glue... :lol:
Duranthalis wrote:Told her that she wouldn't appreciate it if anything happened to the new flooring or the 70+ year old antique table.
You can always get a desk pad or old newspaper (or both to be safe) and use a palette. Accidents can still happen, but they tend to be minor. :wink:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:The best way is not to let it dry.
yes... That was a bit of an issue... While saving the couch, the paint stuck to other pieces of fabric kind of dried... I'm thinking I'll give it a final try. But I'm afraid I'm out of luck here. The pigments in the paint seem to stick fairly well to fabrics. So there's always some residue. A bit a white glow as it were.
Aicanor wrote:Now glue...
Done. Pictures to follow (as soon as I get them resized).
Duranthalis wrote:Told her that she wouldn't appreciate it if anything happened to the new flooring or the 70+ year old antique table.

When I put it that way, she told me that my paints stayed in the garage.
Funny how fast people can change their perspective...

Though in my experience, non-porous surfaces are quite safe. It usually comes off floors and tables and the like without trouble. Though that mainly goes for flat surfaces. A woodgrain, where the paint gets into cracks and ridges, is difficult to clean, simply because you can't reach deep enough into the ridges.

Rod

Check out my plog