GW has a huge new announcement!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Duranthalis

GW has a huge new announcement!

#1 Post by Duranthalis »

They're making major changes!

White Dwarf magazine is going to be .... (wait for it...)

(wait for it...)

...a monthly publication with 156 glossy color pages. :shock:

I'm so over them.
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
RE.Lee

Re: GW has a huge new announcement!

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Thats that for "new coke". I seemed to be the only person to like WH: Visions, but the weekly White Dwarf never appealed to me. None of it matters though, as the Old World doesn't exist anymore ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

And there I was hoping you'd say that GW announced AoS was just a bad dream... ;)

The weekly WD never appealed to me either. Like most people I don't end up in a GW store each week (once a month is already a stretch). Also, the lower page count meant that there was a bigger chance (much bigger) that nothing inside it would appeal to me.

We'll see what they come up with.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm so over WD now. It was never the same after the original.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Loved it in the 80s when it was about gaming. Liked it in the 90s when it was about GW games. Lost interest in the 00s when it because simply and advert for GW games.
Doctor

#6 Post by Doctor »

It used to be really good, in the times of the first edition of WFRP. Currently, I don't even know.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

I tend to concur.

I like fewer and fewer of their models now (some Silver Tower stuff) and haven't played 40K for years, so little of personal interest I suspect. I'll probably have a look though, for old times' sake.
Rob9

#8 Post by Rob9 »

Suprise suprise...

People in the HOBBY preferred the magazine when it was about the HOBBY and the COMMUNITY as soon as these two things were no longer valued things have been progressively going down hill.

I don't know about you guys but to me it seems every sport and hobby out there that's successful has at one time or another invested in the grass roots level. They have put things in place to grow whatever is is they are involved in and ensure there is strong upcoming support for the future. Ultimately without a community its very hard to play games and grow interest. I yearn for the days of old when WD brought value and inspiration, for the new kid reading a battle report with fluff for the first time thinking OMG I want to play this game.

It seems all GW have done is fracture the community, move away from the hobby and all that it entails and close themselves off. Such a shame, they have something that's is glorious and golden and so much could be done with it to connect to new players and inspire new and old alike. I hope the next lot of leadership plucks WHFB and WD out of the mud and polishes up to be the shinning beacon that it could be.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

See this thread re GW engaging with the community:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=30

I'm not up with what they're doing on Facebook though. It could be that they think AoS needs a bit of a push.
Gandalf_82

#10 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Shock horror!! I used to love WD back in the old days when it was about the hobby. Still have loads of copies from the 90's. Started reading it for a while when I got back into WFB a few years back but as has already been mentioned it just became a massive advert for their products and not the hobby. Poor form GW. If they went back to the old "model" i'd definitely be tempted, but dont see it happening.