Upcoming Elves of Ancient Times - Your Bitz Wishlist Wanted!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Râstë

Upcoming Elves of Ancient Times - Your Bitz Wishlist Wanted!

#1 Post by Râstë »

My brother (sculptor of Evil Dwarfs of Ancient Times), known on these forums as Karak Norn Clansman, is planning to sculpt a few Elven 28-32mm kits once he has finished a job for Zealot Miniatures. One of them is likely to be a greatsword Elf hero in full action pose, in this style:

All Elven sculpts will go toward this style, which have the added benefit of staying well away from IP lawyers.

Another kit will likely be a blister with 3 Elven peltasts, the most ambitious of the lot since it requires keeping symmetry, style, size and so on even and the same on several miniatures. What would you be most interested to see here: Sea dragon cloaks and harpoon javelins, lion/wolf pelts peltasts, or plain cloaked peltasts?

With luck and lobbyism, such throwing spear Elf miniatures could even show up as an option in 9th Age.

And then there will be at least two bitz kits, probably more in the longer run. Are there any particular bits which you would be interested in seeing?

He'll attempt to sculpt 5 helmeted Elf knight heads with horse-head helmets, and the very first kit to be sculpted and cast is planned to be 5 sheathed Elven swords, 5 sheathed Elven daggers and an Elven axe. I'll use these a lot for my Elven collection, since it's a tad silly for well-equipped soldiers to go out in battle without a secondary armament, such as swords and daggers for spearmen or lancers. Here's a quick sketch for the single-edged Elven swords, though the sculpts should end up narrower:

Thoughts? Wishlist? Feedback is ever welcome!
One by one the Daemons fell and Elf Lord he stood tall
For should he fail upon his task then mortal world would fall
And on this day we bow our heads to he who world did save
Aenarion the Proud Defender, Aenarion the Ever Brave
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: Upcoming Elves of Ancient Times - Your Bitz Wishlist Wan

#2 Post by Ferny »

Alternative heads are always welcome for kit bashign.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Karak Norn Clansman

#3 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

@Ferny: True! Heads are 9/10 of the models, it's jokingly called. Head options make a lot to change a model.

Over on 9th Age, Nopuiiidorl presented an idea of archers which lands in fertile ground. New archer models certainly are needed, and I'd be willing to try my hand at one, say, directly after the sheathed blades and horsehelmet heads, but only one, because every miniature I sculpt takes its amount of time due to detailwork. While peltasts and similar models are better off for varied poses, Elven archers on the other hand can all stand in identical poses, in identical armour, in drilled and disciplined straight ranks. The regimented impression works very well in Elven armies. I don't feel like sculpting three or more archers in similar equipment anytime soon, but one? Sure.

So, should you like the idea of identical Elven archers and should my brother give thumbs up for an early archer, the plan is either:

1.) To sculpt it and send it off to whatever enthusiast 9th Age sculptors and casters who wish to handle it, to do with as they please, against some not-unreasonable payment. Feel free to ask us in thread or PM whenever and if the archer sculpt is started.

2.) To get it cast myself, but order the caster to make several master casts and from them produce a mould for a blister of identical Elven archers. Perhaps 4-5 in one blister, no bits or extras or different poses, but bear in mind that the end result wouldn't be terribly cheap even though I always try to keep prices down to lure in more customers and gain more sales.

This is how such an archer would look, by the way:

Command group, kneeling and reloading archer could always be future possibilities if the monopose proves popular, but again not anything likely to happen soon.

What say you? :)​​
Giladis
The Merlord

#4 Post by Giladis »

Looks nice =D>
Râstë

#5 Post by Râstë »

In the vein of Elves...

Face of a Killer

One thing which me and my brother has carried through in colours and conversions on my Lotr and WHFB Elves, is Elves whose refined elegance never comes close to dancing on clouds in pink 'n' white with unicorns and angels. Instead, we've always tried to couple elegance and artistic styles with an earthy practicality and a darker side more akin to beings with blood in their veins. Don't be fooled by their looks and haughty manners, these are creatures of flesh and blood, and creatures of utter lethality, used to carry their baggage about them, equipped and used to campaigning in the wild.

We hope to carry that through in artwork, backstory and above all sculpts with the upcoming Elves.

What you see above is not a pure being of nobility and goodness never hurting a hair without provocation and playing on the harp all day and admiring butterflies. It is not a fairy figure. It is the face of a killer.
One by one the Daemons fell and Elf Lord he stood tall
For should he fail upon his task then mortal world would fall
And on this day we bow our heads to he who world did save
Aenarion the Proud Defender, Aenarion the Ever Brave
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Reminds me of Terry Pratchett's elves!

:)
Karak Norn Clansman

#7 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

@SpellArcher: Good!

Me and my brother discussed customisible core Elves, and agreed to add a small shield to the back of the Elf archer for sensible equipment in close combat. Not a large shield, but something for the offhand whenever the support fails to keep the foe at a distance from the archers. The ringed-in shield is the relevant design. Did some quick shield sketches in a shaky car with a ballpoint pen while getting back home from work, including for possible shield kits for the future. Just as a little drawing experiment to get used to Elven designs:

The pots and so on for Zealot should be finished tomorrow, so work on the archer might start already this weekend. Also, we decided to give the archer, and probably all other Elves, a simple round plug beneath one foot, akin to what some Troll-sized miniatures in whitemetal come equipped with. Ranking up archers have always been a chore, and we want to get away from the flat tap-in piece which do introduce a tyranny of bases. Having no feet support at all would be too ungainly and require lots of pinning in metal, while a round plug should be simple to work with and allow collectors to base their archers at will according to however they wish to rank them up.