competitive AoS with points?! :D

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Galharen
Master of Brushes

competitive AoS with points?! :D

#1 Post by Galharen »

Have you already seen the news that this summer GW is introducing competitive environment to the Age of Sigmar? It means the points are back :lol:
Those bastards saw that their product is just a waste of time and money, but still kept telling us that it's awesome and amazing and now bum, let's bring old points system :)

well, honestly, I'm playing right now the 9th Age and I have a lot of fun with it so I don't really care what GW does, but I, as a player, feel offended. GW destroyed WFB, created aos, told us it's the best in the universe, made the minis ridiculously expensive and now they expect us to come back to them on knees with money. Shame on u GW.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: competitive AoS with points?! :D

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Personally I'm cool with AoS but I've no interest in playing it, happy with 8th edition. The breaker for me is the loss of square bases and the impact that has on how units work and look. I can't see that that will change, as I suggested here:

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=42 ... 39#p355539

There's a thread here broaching the influence of Mo Comp and SCGT on GW's latest move:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 85&start=0

See also here:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=30
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'd have no problem at all with AoS if it was in addition too, rather than instead of. And to be accurate I still don't have a problem with AoS, I do however have (even more of) a problem with GW.
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

I don't really mind the system, its the destruction of the Warhammer world that makes me mad. Bringing points back doesn't change anything (though it might have LAST YEAR).
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#5 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

RE.Lee wrote:I don't really mind the system, its the destruction of the Warhammer world that makes me mad. Bringing points back doesn't change anything (though it might have LAST YEAR).
In some ways the points is a little annoying. Supposedly it was one of the reasons warhammer wasn't working, and yet here we go...
Duranthalis

#6 Post by Duranthalis »

While I haven't played AoS (or 9th Age for that matter ... new kid, new house, no time), I like the concept of a lightweight game that allows for smaller army sizes (read: I can pick up a box of figures and play). 9th Age seems to allow for this with warband size armies, from what I've read.

I hate the destruction of the world. I hate the ugly figures that look like WH40K rejects. I hate the price increase.

The chief problem that I have with GW these days is that it's no longer a company run by gamers.
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think a lot of people share the same feeling about AoS. Nothing wrong with another game (though the market doesn't seem to be needing one). But why did it have to come with the destruction of the old game / world.

The introduction of a points system for AoS is interesting. I guess it means that AoS isn't working in the way GW intended it to work. And that GW is realizing that the game part of the hobby is as important to a lot of people as simply having a bunch of miniatures to shove around. A pity they took this long to realize this. But at least it shows GW is willing to learn and admit their mistakes (if only internally). For a company that's a vital trait I believe. It normally doesn't end well once you're so stuck in your ivory tower that you're unwilling to admit when you're wrong...

I did find a sneak peak of what the new rule book could look like:
https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... kNEW01.jpg

Beautiful, hard cover, full color, all the rules you need to play a good game... ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Doctor

#8 Post by Doctor »

Prince of Spires wrote: I did find a sneak peak of what the new rule book could look like:
https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... kNEW01.jpg

Beautiful, hard cover, full color, all the rules you need to play a good game... ;)

Rod
:lol:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

This I found very illuminating, especially the Podcast transcription:

http://baddice.co.uk/generals-handbook- ... -workshop/