Aelves in the Grand Alliance - Order book

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Aelves in the Grand Alliance - Order book

#31 Post by SpellArcher »

This was an eye-opener for me:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=133458
Dan Heelan on TWF wrote: Some thank you (hoping not to miss anyone!):.....

Games Workshop for it's support of the event....

Games Workshops new approach to the community needs early support. Visit Facebook on https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/ - like the posts, vote for your fav army and tell everyone (via posting a comment) if you had a great time - there are plenty of people who see organised play as a scary thing, so the more the message gets out its great, the better!
I do not remember GW supporting independent events before.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#32 Post by Aicanor »

SpellArcher wrote:I've nothing against AoS personally it just doesn't...grab me.
For me, it is as if they put together all the things I dislike and baked a cake of it. The result is... predictable :lol:

I guess they finally woke up to the fact they need to work for Age of Sigmar to take better hold. Giving support to independents is cheaper than the alternatives.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#33 Post by SpellArcher »

If I recall correctly, free copies of the game were sent on release to a lot of the podcasters, many of whom are big supporters of AoS. TBH though, I think guys like Ben Curry and Dan Heelan would have been anyway. It does show GW has been making an effort.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#34 Post by Prince of Spires »

I agree with Aicanor that GW probably doesn't have a lot of choice if they want AOS to take hold. They need to put in a lot of work. Winning over the sales channels and creating some vocal advocates is key here. And while the AoS fluff isn't really my cup of tea, I can imagine that it has potential for some people if they flesh it out a bit more. Especially with newer / younger players.

My regular opponent has a 5 year old kid he's introducing to Warhammer (Lizardmen, what 5 year old doesn't like dinosaurs...). And the AoS rules are a good first step for that. 3 pages, basically roll some dice and see what happens. Good fun. And watching the kid be very happy to have something cool to do with his dinosaurs is great.

So in that sense, AoS is a nice introduction (and I'll probably end up playing it at some point because of this). But other then that...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.