High Elves Last Chance to Buy

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Cinncinatti

High Elves Last Chance to Buy

#1 Post by Cinncinatti »

Just an FYI GW listed a ton of High Elves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Dwarves and Brets in the last chance to buy.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Wa ... 0002a-flat

As an aside, I saw this coming once I saw the AoS Grand Alliance Order book was coming out soon. I actually did really well guessing what was getting axed. Only surprises were that they were keeping a few things I thought they'd get rid of (Dragon kit, swordmasters, hero kits, Cardryan, glade guard, several wood elves heroes etc).
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: High Elves Last Chance to Buy

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for that, I'd better go and have a look!
Caledus Greenscale

#3 Post by Caledus Greenscale »

After two years I decided I could not make a good looking Caledor themed army using the dated spearmen and core units. A week ago I decided I am going to try again and go with Tiranoc and use lots of Bolt throwers and the plastic sea guard with the seaweed removed. This morning I log in to order the plastic sea guard 5 packs and there ALL sold out and the bolt throwers are on the chopping block. NOT impressed at all. :(

Also a note if you like Bretonia its ALL gone as well. :shock:
[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg[/img][/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Caledus Greenscale wrote:After two years I decided I could not make a good looking Caledor themed army using the dated spearmen and core units. A week ago I decided I am going to try again and go with Tiranoc and use lots of Bolt throwers and the plastic sea guard with the seaweed removed. This morning I log in to order the plastic sea guard 5 packs and there ALL sold out and the bolt throwers are on the chopping block. NOT impressed at all. :(

Also a note if you like Bretonia its ALL gone as well. :shock:
If you need seaguard I've got some extra. I can do up to 3 units of 15 (full command in each) for $25 a unit.

I was disappointed but not at all surprised to see everything Bretinia go. I didn't check if empire knights went too, if not they really should have canned those and kept the Bret ones...
Caledus Greenscale

#5 Post by Caledus Greenscale »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
If you need seaguard I've got some extra. I can do up to 3 units of 15 (full command in each) for $25 a unit.
You may have saved my day from being a total loss. If they are the plastic Island of blood models and I don't need to strip them I am interested! :D
[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg[/img][/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Caledus Greenscale wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:
You may have saved my day from being a total loss. If they are the plastic Island of blood models and I don't need to strip them I am interested! :D
They are indeed, and unpainted.. I'll send you a PM
Duranthalis

#7 Post by Duranthalis »

Swore I was going to avoid buying GW stuff for a bit ...

I have a box of glade riders, a wood elf banner bearer, and 2 sets of waywatchers en route. *sigh*
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Duranthalis wrote:Swore I was going to avoid buying GW stuff for a bit ...

I have a box of glade riders, a wood elf banner bearer, and 2 sets of waywatchers en route. *sigh*
I've been considering all those myself. But the waywatchers will probably be cheapish on ebay.
Duranthalis

#9 Post by Duranthalis »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Duranthalis wrote:Swore I was going to avoid buying GW stuff for a bit ...

I've been considering all those myself. But the waywatchers will probably be cheapish on ebay.
True ... but they brought my order up enough to qualify for free shipping LOL
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
John Rainbow

#10 Post by John Rainbow »

There will always be eBay!
Caledus Greenscale

#11 Post by Caledus Greenscale »

John Rainbow wrote:There will always be eBay!
As a Warmaster collector I agree this is true but it hurts seeing those units with a 9 dollar price tag in the picture going for 30 or 40 dollars. :|
John Rainbow

#12 Post by John Rainbow »

Yeah but Warmaster had a much smaller run and many more people did play fantasy at one point. As long as you don't mind stripping a few minis there are still great deals to be had.
Myth

#13 Post by Myth »

A lot of models had sold quickly, like Alarielle, Warrior Priest and so...
During EoT, books and especially limited edition were selling like crazy, despite the high prices.
I haven't follow up much on AoS releases, but if I can recall, new limited edition books are not selling well (I noticed that in case of Seraphon) or at least it is selling much more slower.
I'm just curious whether this facts have some impact on GW mind or business plans for the future....maybe reintroduce the old world :)
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#14 Post by Ferny »

Guess I'm gonna have to learn how to use e-bay...either that or send a shopping list to Shannar ;)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Caledus Greenscale

#15 Post by Caledus Greenscale »

I was very surprised to see the bolt thrower go, it is the best looking kit from the high elf range and I hope that it is just being re-boxed. I am using the bodies of the crew for my archer units. :|
John Rainbow

#16 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm expecting a new AoS supplement with some Elven stuff to replace some of the kits that have gone. In any case, many of the older models don't fit the new AoS design aesthetic so it makes sense that they have been discontinued.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#17 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

John Rainbow wrote:I'm expecting a new AoS supplement with some Elven stuff to replace some of the kits that have gone. In any case, many of the older models don't fit the new AoS design aesthetic so it makes sense that they have been discontinued.
Yep, and based on what's gone/left of each I don't doubt HE will be getting more than DE. I also don't doubt I'll be interested in none of it.
John Rainbow

#18 Post by John Rainbow »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
John Rainbow wrote:I'm expecting a new AoS supplement with some Elven stuff to replace some of the kits that have gone. In any case, many of the older models don't fit the new AoS design aesthetic so it makes sense that they have been discontinued.
Yep, and based on what's gone/left of each I don't doubt HE will be getting more than DE. I also don't doubt I'll be interested in none of it.
Likewise. I've been reading over the KoW rules recently. Might finally get my HE out again for the first time since Jan 2015...
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#19 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

John Rainbow wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Likewise. I've been reading over the KoW rules recently. Might finally get my HE out again for the first time since Jan 2015...
I actually really like KoW. In terms of game play some things are better, and some things I miss. But it takes a ton less time to play a game, and clean up after is a breeze because everything stays on it's movement tray, and then the whole tray goes back in the box. It makes it a lot easier to get a game in without having to schedule a full evening for it. At least for now it's even replaced WFB 3rd edition as our favorite medium sized forces game.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#20 Post by Prince of Spires »

Man they went fast...

I would have loved to get the handmaiden (and perhaps a Tyrion and teclis). But they were gone by Sunday... I did grab some Silver Helms, since I was still lacking those.

There were some surprises in there I think. The handmaiden being one of them. Finally stopping with Eltharion or Imrik wasn't that surprising. Both models were pretty old. Same with a lot of the others. But some were very recent models. Perhaps GW is cutting its losses, dropping less frequent kits from the range and hoping to steer AOS in a new direction. Matching the new look and feel of AoS could a reason.

Another reason could be that the sales % of each kit hasn't changed, but that the overall number of players / sales has dropped quite a bit. If you have loads of players then making a kit that only sells to 1% of the users can still be very profitable. Not so much if you only have a few of them.

@Shannar: I'm guessing you're playing Mordheim for small sized forcer games. What do you use for large size forces?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#21 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

For large forces we use warmaster rules. Either with warmaster minis (but only a couple of us have any) or we put two tables together and use 28mm. One of the young guys has to be around to move things when we do that though.
Doctor

#22 Post by Doctor »

It looks like most of the HE models will be continued, initially I thought they may ditch the whole army.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#23 Post by Prince of Spires »

indeed. For most of the models it's no surprise that they drop them, given their age (though I have a sneaky suspicion sales numbers also play a role...). The imrik dragon for instance is a 4th ed model I think. Same for the Eltharion model. The spearmen, archers and SH have been around since at least 6th edition. And their age is starting to show.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#24 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Prince of Spires wrote:indeed. For most of the models it's no surprise that they drop them, given their age (though I have a sneaky suspicion sales numbers also play a role...). The imrik dragon for instance is a 4th ed model I think. Same for the Eltharion model. The spearmen, archers and SH have been around since at least 6th edition. And their age is starting to show.

Rod
Nah, that Imrik was 6e (he had a different model and all metal dragon in 4th). Elitherion was 4e (it actually went away during 6th for a bit). The "current" Telcis sculpt was either 4th or 5th, went away and came back in finecast. The rest you mentioned were 6e, except the Silver Helms horses, those were 5th. The empire knights were using horses that have been around since 1991 or so.
Doctor

#25 Post by Doctor »

The Imrik was indeed 6th edition (I have the 5th or 4th one and it was different). Teclis is interesting, it seems that they changed him and then reverted back to the old model. Funny, I didn't remember it was such an old model re-released despite having the original 5th edition army book.

The Handmaiden though was brand new 8th edition.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#26 Post by SpellArcher »

Doctor wrote:Teclis is interesting, it seems that they changed him and then reverted back to the old model. Funny, I didn't remember it was such an old model re-released despite having the original 5th edition army book.
As Shannar suggests, both he and Tyrion were 4th edition (Jes Goodwin). Both characters and most of the 4th edition range bear comparison with the Eldar he designed at the same time, just as the 3rd edition range had. There's one picture of Teclis on pg 48 of the 5th edition book but there were several Special Characters fresh for that book of course. I believe both were redone for 6th edition (Gary Morley?).
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#27 Post by SpellArcher »

Now GW are telling me they've run out of Fiends.

:evil:
Caledus Greenscale

#28 Post by Caledus Greenscale »

Im happy as GW just announced we have another chance to buy bolt throwers. : )
Aicanor
Rainbows

#29 Post by Aicanor »

And not only them, there are a few other models as well:
Last chance to buy these again...
Apparently the models sold out so quickly GW decided to manufacture a some more.

Also there already are some blurry pics of new Orru...orks. Last chance to buy old ones is imminent.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#30 Post by Elithmar »

They fit right in with Sigmarines. If GW like 40k so much, why didn't they just drop fantasy completely?
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor