Stormcast dragon

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Stormcast dragon

#1 Post by Aicanor »

Finecast Eternals have a Star Drake now:

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/530
Galharen
Master of Brushes

Re: Stormcast dragon

#2 Post by Galharen »

Legen...wait for it...****.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#3 Post by Aicanor »

Sorry, I just had to... :lol:

I get it you are not happy with this release? :wink:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Will that even fit on a gaming table? I see that trend hasn't slowed. I've paid almost no attention to the new releases for a few months now. I'm starting to get excited to see how bad the Alelfs are.
Doctor

#5 Post by Doctor »

I must say I don't like the aesthetics and/or idea of 90% of the newly released figures.
Peepster1976

#6 Post by Peepster1976 »

No not a fan.....
Nice head. Nice wing, but in strange position.
Dont like the legs and the armor......

Me also, not a fan of all the new releases. I like some scenery, especially the fortress. But that is just WAAAY too expensive.

No AoS buys for me so far.....GW free shopping list for 7 mnths.

Grtzz
- The World is a Village -
My Plog : [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44351[/url]
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#7 Post by Galharen »

Aicanor wrote:Sorry, I just had to... :lol:

I get it you are not happy with this release? :wink:
Not at all :D
I was fan of Dragon Ball when I was younger but now the mix of manga and wh40k is completely not in my taste.
Last edited by Galharen on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Not a fan. The anatomy of the thing is off. The front legs seem wrong and the neck is weird. The armour is a bit too clunky for my taste. Still, it could look better in real life...

On a positive note, the paint job is actually quite decent, considering the standard GW used in previous show models...

Also, the small thing to the left of the big thing looks alright. A shame they stuck all the armour on, otherwise it would have offered some great conversion options I think.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Cinncinatti

#9 Post by Cinncinatti »

I actually quite like it. I've always found the Elf dragons to look a bit scrawny compared to my mental image of one. This looks sufficiently bulky, almost like a komodo dragon but on a larger scale. Something worthy of the Thunderstomp rule.

Also, I like the concept of the neck armor. It does make much more sense to put the armor on that side of the neck, given it will be attacking most things from above so having armor below to stop the pointy things going in is a must.

Don't know if I'd use it for a conversion though. Too much Stormcast iconography I think. If some of that armor was optional though...guess I'll have to wait and see a few pics of the sprue before I pass final judgment.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#10 Post by Ferny »

My image of a dragon has always been best captured by the DND range - type Dungeons and Dragons Dragon into google images and every one is a winner IMO. The HE one is too skinny for my likings, in fact, WH ones generally are. This one at least is bulky, but the aesthetic is too AoS and would be hard to shift into HE/HBE IMO. Still, it's a dragon and I like dragons :mrgreen:
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

My problem with the dragon is not so much how bulky it is. That is fine for me. Nothing wrong with having a bit of mass when you're a dragon. It's more that the anatomy of the dragon just feels wrong.

The front legs look like they were simply stuck on and are not so much part of the body. The wings have too many bends and not enough joints to actually work and the spikey bits seem added simply to have spikey bits. The whole thing just feels wrong.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#12 Post by Galharen »

Prince of Spires wrote:My problem with the dragon is not so much how bulky it is. That is fine for me. Nothing wrong with having a bit of mass when you're a dragon. It's more that the anatomy of the dragon just feels wrong.

The front legs look like they were simply stuck on and are not so much part of the body. The wings have too many bends and not enough joints to actually work and the spikey bits seem added simply to have spikey bits. The whole thing just feels wrong.

Rod
It's GW, they just simply feel wrong. I don't know who is responsible for the new design, but I don't want to see new High Elves...there are plenty of eldars out there.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

Ferny wrote:The HE one is too skinny for my likings
Well, at the most basic level, a dragon is a snake with legs and maybe wings!

:)

I know what you mean though Ferny. My personal favourite from the GW range was the metal Zombie Dragon with the Necrarch on top.
John Rainbow

#14 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm withholding judgement till we see more pics.
Doctor

#15 Post by Doctor »

I like the HE dragons (well maybe except the first one - and I'm not thinking about the 5ed Imrik). They are just more like the Chinese/Japanese type.

Of course the D&D ones would also be good.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#16 Post by Ferny »

SpellArcher wrote:
Ferny wrote:The HE one is too skinny for my likings
Well, at the most basic level, a dragon is a snake with legs and maybe wings!
Ah - see, I think of a dragon as being fundamentally a lizard or, more accurately perhaps, a dinosaur with wings - rather than a snake with wings. I get the snake aesthetic, but it's more a 'chinese' style dragon in my mind, which is also very cool in its own way but ticks a different box for me. I really like the carnosaur conversions for that reason, and the LotR ones were pretty good - the first one was decent and the second nigh on excellent. I quite like the MacFarlane toys range ones too. I'm basically a sucker for bulky dragons :D.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#17 Post by SpellArcher »

Ferny wrote:but it's more a 'chinese' style dragon in my mind,
The Ancient Greeks had a not too dissimilar concept I believe, which influenced things like the serpentine Roman Draco standards. Somewhere these turn into descendants like the modern Welsh flag, with it's rather more solid Dragon. Though even that could have once been a snake...

Also an idea familiar to anyone who ever watched and loved The Water Margin!

:)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#18 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Doctor wrote:I like the HE dragons (well maybe except the first one - and I'm not thinking about the 5ed Imrik).
Are you thinking this one?

I rather like it. It's the first one I remember being classified specifically for warhammer high elves, but there were others before...
Aicanor
Rainbows

#19 Post by Aicanor »

Sometimes I wonder how the old ones would look with current technology. I believe they would be much more dynamic than the current ones.
Bulky flyers don't make much sense to me (unless they are dirigible dragons :lol:). But in this case the Stardrakes can't fly anyway. Look at the plating on the wings. They can't be unfurled.

More pics.
Doctor

#20 Post by Doctor »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Are you thinking this one?

I rather like it. It's the first one I remember being classified specifically for warhammer high elves, but there were others before...
I also like it, it has that oldschool feel (cause it is oldschool!). But not it's aesthetics, modern standards wise :) Though I never seen it live, and when I look at the pictures, it starts to grow on me. It actually looks better than I thought when I first seen it on pictures.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#21 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I really need to paint mine up. Maybe after this pegasus
lestat_bcn

#22 Post by lestat_bcn »

Doctor wrote:I must say I don't like the aesthetics and/or idea of 90% of the newly released figures.
I'm glad to see I'm the only one who doesn't like the new "Warhammer" miniatures released. I'm afraid what the Elfs will become. What are you playing these days?
Doctor

#23 Post by Doctor »

8th edition. I started playing recently (more or less when GW decided to ditch WFB) with my friends, though I had a small army during 5th edition when I was a kid :) HE, though I'll have a smaller WoC army (bought it cheap, couldn't resist).
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#24 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

lestat_bcn wrote:
Doctor wrote:I must say I don't like the aesthetics and/or idea of 90% of the newly released figures.
I'm glad to see I'm the only one who doesn't like the new "Warhammer" miniatures released. I'm afraid what the Elfs will become. What are you playing these days?
Mordheim or Bloodbowl. We took the two 8x4 tables and have pretty much permantly turned them into mordheim tables. It's kind of fun to play two games at the same time on a table, and if you wander to close to the other game you might get hurt.