Two minutes of silence for Tomb Kings

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Two minutes of silence for Tomb Kings

#1 Post by Aicanor »

After all the talk about Lizardmen and Bretonnia, Tomb Kings are the first army to go. GW quietly put out the Grand Alliance: Death warscroll collection and put whole TK range into Last Chance to Buy section. And rumour has it that Bretonnia is next to go under the axe...
I guess this makes my estimate that there will be no new models for Aelves for quite a while all the more likely too... But it is hard to see some pattern with releases like Fyreslayers on one hand and squatting of TK on the other.

The good news for TK players are that Ninth Age Undying Dynasties is incidentally the first finished armybook - and it looks great.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Two minutes of silence for Tomb Kings

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Yes, they're moving on.

From a personal point of view I'm not too fussed about what GW do. 8th and 9th Age are widely played. I guess it would be a shame if you were an AoS player who loved TK's. But the time where GW had a heavy control over what people collect and play is passing I think.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:Yes, they're moving on.

From a personal point of view I'm not too fussed about what GW do. 8th and 9th Age are widely played. I guess it would be a shame if you were an AoS player who loved TK's. But the time where GW had a heavy control over what people collect and play is passing I think.
Or if you are a 8th/ 9th age player who wants to pick up some more models. It puts a bit of a rush on the schedule. I also wonder what effect this will have on the price for those trying to sell off old TK stuff. Could go either way...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:It puts a bit of a rush on the schedule.
This is about the size of it.

We'll still be able to buy from Ebay, other second-hand places and other manufacturers. But it's less convenient.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
SpellArcher wrote:Yes, they're moving on.

Or if you are a 8th/ 9th age player who wants to pick up some more models. It puts a bit of a rush on the schedule. I also wonder what effect this will have on the price for those trying to sell off old TK stuff. Could go either way...
Yeah, there's quite a few really nice TK models which I like, and the collector in me would like to mop some up...but I've recently bought a full beastman army and the money in me just can't! I am curious about whether no longer being GW supported will drop the value of TK (less demand) or whether lack of supply will up their value...guess we'll see. At least there's enough models out there in circulation that if the price is right they can still be obtained...
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Ferny wrote: I've recently bought a full beastman army
Is this going to Bristol in May then?

:)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

To be honest I never really understood what GW was doing splitting the undead in two. I understand the difference in the myths/legends that are inspiration for each. But honestly "undead" worked pretty well, and if you wanted to focus on a specific type it had been done well by players using themes and conversions. It added a whole new range to stock, and I'm not sure that in the long term it really added much in sales. Most VC or TK players would also have been willing to play an "undead" army. And while I liked my Brets back in 5th honestly the same can be said for them (and also Dogs of War) and Empire. There isn't really a ton to pull people into the game that a themed empire list couldn't have done (though using the bret sculpts instead of empire knights would also be good).
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#8 Post by Ferny »

SpellArcher wrote:
Ferny wrote: I've recently bought a full beastman army
Is this going to Bristol in May then?

I've not yet had confirmation that I'm booked on...

...but I think I'll probably take my first love tbh. Thing is, while I own more HE models than is healthy, I'm a bit stuck when it comes to having them painted. I'm alright on pretty much any core or characters I want, but when it comes to special and rare...well...I'm sorted on lions, swordmasters, dragon princes frosty and bolt throwers, but I need shadow warriors, sisters, PG, chariots of all flavours and pheonix spam/any fire. You can still build good lists with that, but you're missing a trick without sisters in almost any list, and I'd love to try out fire pheonixes and chariots in T9A.

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#9 Post by Ferny »

I see you're down for 8th Ed in Warwick? I'm thinking about whether I can squeeze another tourney into the diary... (I'm also eyeing up NEWEE, but ye gads it's far to travel...).

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

PM'd!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#11 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's a sad day, especially for TK players. They do have some nice models. When I got started in WH I considered TK as the army to start with. Main reason not to was that one of my friends was already playing them. That friend is now indeed quickly grabbing any models he's still missing to complete his collection.

As for what will happen to them on the second hand market, I think that will depend on the succes of the 9th age and how strong the TK book (and thus how popular) will turn out to be. If the 9th age picks up steam and TK become popular then I can see the second hand models go up in price. Otherwise they'll slowly fade away and remain a niche army.

I'm not really surprised. AoS was a complete reset, which let GW completely redraw the map. TK were never a very popular army, which is probably one of the reasons they got so few updates over the years (which again was part of the reason why they weren't very popular). I'm guessing that sales showed a bit of a drop after AoS was released. And that the unpopular armies suffered the most from this. And that they ended up being unprofitable. So, GW is rationalizing their model line. I'm guessing GW decided that the few customers they lose by dropping TK are not worth keeping anyway.

As for why they split them in the first place. It was a very different world when they did so. Computer games were only just picking up steam. GW probably thought that it would pass them by. And that the market would pick up anything that they released. They probably miscalculated.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aerendar Valandil

#12 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

TK was a great army, but I must admit I always had the impression that it wasn't the most popular army. I think it's sad, but I do understand the reasoning. The same is true with Bretonnia. Great army, but not a lot of variety in gaming style and not a big seller. Much less of a problem for those who want to keep playing and collecting though, medieval knights and knight-like models are available everywhere.
Aerendar Valandil

#13 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

John Rainbow

#14 Post by John Rainbow »

Aerendar Valandil wrote:http://tidesofwargaming.blogspot.nl/201 ... onnia.html

Bretonnia will prevail!
Let's hope so!
Knight of the Raven

#15 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Tomb Kings are the first army to go.
Because six kinds of space marines is okay but two different undead armies is going too far. :roll:
Duranthalis

#16 Post by Duranthalis »

Knight of the Raven wrote:
Tomb Kings are the first army to go.
Because six kinds of space marines is okay but two different undead armies is going too far. :roll:
Codex SM, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Grey Knights and ... ? Unfortunately, a lot of the chapters got wrapped up into C:SM and given "tactic" options (Black Templars completely lost their own book. Likewise, Salamanders were a distinct chapter as of Codex: Armageddon but got relegated to a fancy paint job).

I have a good collection of Black Templars that are now gathering dust alongside my Sisters of Battle ... while my Orks are slowly getting assembled and painted.
PLOG here!
High Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 12/150/1
Wood Elf, done/in progress/unassembled: 18/2/43
Space Orks, done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.
WH40K Imperials (BT/SoB/SW), done/in progress/unassembled: Oi.

Prepare for a surprise attack!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#17 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I have a good collection of Black Templars that are now gathering dust alongside my Sisters of Battle ... while my Orks are slowly getting assembled and painted.
My squats are not impressed. They've also never been unpacked after moving over 10 years ago...
Knight of the Raven

#18 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Codex SM, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Grey Knights and ... ?
Chaos space marines, though their players' consensus seems to be that they're the red-headed stepchildren of the space marines, if not of the entirey of Games Workshop's range.

(My Adepta Sororitas rhino isn't impressed.)

Black Templars still have several codices' worth of plastics for kitbashing and conversion, in addition to being less different from the other space marines than Tomb Kings were from Vampire Counts, so they have no sympathy from me.

It's a shame, because the range increase Tomb Kings got for their update had some very beautiful models. And as someone who hates vampires and zombies but likes skeletons and doesn't mind ancient Egypt, the sense of loss is doubled.
Anvilarm

#19 Post by Anvilarm »

Hi All

I always loved the TK fluff.

It was on my list of future armies to collect. Oh well.

More cash for Flames of War.

I still play my four fantasy armies regularly tho.

Anvilarm