ETC 2015

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: ETC 2015

#31 Post by Curu Olannon »

Lord Anathir wrote:Which is this other game the people at your club are playing?
Warmachine & Hordes. Some have picked up KoW but they are a minority.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
sparkytrypod

#32 Post by sparkytrypod »

This saddens me curu, at least you will jave gone out in style at an ETC.

Will you switch to war machine so?
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#33 Post by Curu Olannon »

sparkytrypod wrote:This saddens me curu, at least you will jave gone out in style at an ETC.

Will you switch to war machine so?
Look at it this way: If Kings of War or 9th age is a big success I already have an army so the switch won't be hard to make ;)

I've already started warmahordes (wrote a bit about it on my blog).

To get this back on topic: Congratulations to Eldwin for an impressive performance! I know many skilled HE players attended this year, not to mention that the dominating, winning team had HEs. Does anyone know how many points he ended up with?

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#34 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
pk-ng

#35 Post by pk-ng »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Our own pkng was the best HE this year! Well done! =D> I don't know the details yet but I hope he will tell us more when he can.
Thanks thanks....I think I got the luck when I needed it (especially vs the Finnish WoC) and unlucky (against both the Walsh and Scottish Dwarves!).
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: I managed to follow Ashes this year, where they had a dedicated person to provide info on the progress. Ashes is the game between Australia and England prior the tournament and it is their own competition. I think England won in straight 5 years so Australians wanted it badly this year.

Unfortunately it was 7 years :(

So just got back home and unpacked. It's been a hectic 4 days of WHFB and it was definitely fun and enjoyable! I was great to finally meet Jarle (aka Curu) in person.

SM has requested that I write some BR and I will try to do so over the next week or so. I did take notes but not as detailed as I would like but a quick summary of the team / armies and score is as follows.

Warm Up 1 : New Zealand vs HE 12-8
Warm Up 2 : Sweden vs HE 11:9
Game 1: Turkey vs BM 17:3
Game 2: Norway vs HE 10:10
Game 3: Finland vs WC 13:7
Game 4: Scotland vs DW 11:9
Game 5: Netherlands vs SK 20:0
Game 6: Wales vs DW 11:9

This placed me 25th out of 304 and Top HE which I was surprised to get!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#36 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi pk-ng!

Official congratulations then! =D> I think it is very impressive that in such a tough tournament you didn't lose a single game! I must also add that pk-ng was also the one who saved his team from being capped in some games, definitely their best warrior! :)

I am looking forward to your reports and I think a lot of Ulthuan members will be very interested in these.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#37 Post by Galharen »

It must be so awesome to play during the ETC, I wish I had a chance to play too :(
Next year!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#38 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I heard the atmosphere was fantastic, 39C and no air condition :lol:

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#39 Post by Galharen »

Welcome to hell :mrgreen:
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#40 Post by Curu Olannon »

The physical conditions were terrible. I have never played at a worse venue, stuffing 1000 people together in a hall like that with terrible accoustics (the place being so loud was the worst in my opinion, the heat you get used to) meant that you never got to mentally take a break. The AC was only cranked up on Saturday I believe, at which point the fans were blowing out so much air that we had to put dice on our magic cards etc to avoid them blowing away (this happened multiple times when we were at a table row near the AC entry point). I don't know if it was technically AC per se or just huge fans blowing air to create circulation but it did at least help.

As for playing itself, I played 4 official games and 1 fun game (where I played Adam's TK because we wanted to play after agreeing on a 10-10). Among the 4 official ones I had 2 absolutely great games, 1 good game and 1 ok game. I had no bad experiences and I've had worse experiences in local tournaments, so despite what you might think intuitively the competitive nature of the games at the ETC does not mean that the games themselves are not enjoyable for all parties involved. It does however requiring that you are both willing to play fair and agree on things throughout the game (such as distances, "do you agree that this is beyond 48 inches" etc) and that the losing player is gracious. Seeing as I won 2 and lost 2 and my best games were on either side of this (i.e. one of each) I've been on both sides. If you are genuinely interested in having a good game it is my experience (albeit limited) that the nature of the event itself does not get in the way of this.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#41 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Some statistics courtesy of arthain
Ar - Avg - Stdev - #
DE - 10,73 - 14 - 31
WC - 10,51 - 17 - 20
LM - 10,44 - 16 - 17
DC - 10,27 - 15 - 31
BR - 10,21 - 19 - 8
OK - 10,21 - 17 - 7
SK - 10,19 - 14 - 25
VC - 10,12 - 21 - 30
TK - 10,09 - 22 - 17
EM - 9,71 - 20 - 24
BM - 9,69 - 27 - 9
OG - 9,68 - 22 - 11
WE - 9,63 - 16 - 26
HE - 9,55 - 17 - 25
DW - 9,22 - 15 - 21
CD - 3,67 - 3 - 2
As well as a link to the individual scores of the players (below the official table for team scores):

Individual scores

Beastmen and TK are clearly broken :D

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#42 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks for the find, interesting data :)

I rest my case as to HE being overcomped.

As far as TK and BM are concerned, they are very hard to get right. They play in a unique way and take a lot of skill to master. TK performed worse than I had anticipated but I am not surprised about BM average being this bad. I do believe the top scoring army this year was BM in the hands of Denmark's Wilhelm Grøfte. He has a knack for finding lists that just blows the comp, last year he dominated with his Gyro-Dwarfs (which we shamelessly copied as the list is just broken) and I'm not surprised he found Beastmen to have the right tools this year. I'm not sure either are overpowered though but I consider Grøfte's list to be among the strongest ones at ETC this year (together with Gyro-Dwarfs, Wall of Nurgle DoC, Karl Franz Empire and Poland's/our Lizardmen). YMMV.

pk-ng

#43 Post by pk-ng »

Just some things I was brooding about for the ETC.

Arm - Avg - Std - Number taken
DE - 64.4 - 14 - 31
WC - 63.1 - 17 - 20
LM - 62.6 - 16 - 17
DC - 61.6 - 15 - 31
BR - 61.3 - 19 - 8
OK - 61.3 - 17 - 7
SK - 61.1 - 14 - 25
VC - 60.7 - 21 - 30
TK - 60.5 - 22 - 17
EM - 58.3 - 20 - 24
BM - 58.1 - 27 - 9
OG - 58.1 - 22 - 11
WE - 57.8 - 16 - 26
HE - 57.3 - 17 - 25
DW - 55.3 - 15 - 21
CD - 22.0 - 3 - 2

Overall this year's distribution seems to be all quite similar 55-64.

For High Elves the Top 5 list are
Eldwin Ng "D-Wing", High Elves 82 points
Tyrion on Malhandhir: General, Sunfang, Dragon Armour of Aenarion, Heart of Avelorn, 410
Prince on Barded Elven Steed: Dragon armour, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon, 282
Archmage on Elven Steed: L4, High, Dispel Scroll, Crown of Command, 300
Noble on Barded Elven Steed: BSB, Spear, Dragon armour, Shield, Banner of the World Dragon, 174
14 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 352
5 Silver Helms: SB, Shields, 125
5 Silver Helms: SB, Shields, 125
19 Phoenix Guard: FCG, Razor Banner, 360
1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 70
1 Great Eagle: Swiftsense, 60
Total: 2,398
Massimiliano Bonifazi, High Elves 80 points
Tyrion on Malhandhir: General, Sunfang, Dragon Armour of Aenarion, Heart of Avelorn, 410
Prince on Barded Elven Steed: Dragon armour, Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, Ironcurse Icon, 282
Archmage on Elven Steed: L4, High, Crown of Command, 275
Noble on Barded Elven Steed: BSB, Dragon armour, Shield, Lance, Banner of the World Dragon, 178
Noble on Barded Elven Steed: Dragon armour, Shield, Ogre Blade, Dragonhelm, 147
Mage on Elven Steed: L1, High, Khaine's Ring of Fury; Dispel Scroll, 145
17 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 421
5 Ellyrian Reavers: SB, 90
5 Ellyrian Reavers: SB, 90
25 White Lions of Chrace: FCG, Gleaming Pennant, 360
Dávid Gunst, High Elves 79 points
Prince on Barded Elven Steed: Dragon Armour, Giant Blade, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone, 282
Archmage on Elven Steed: L4, High, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll, Crown of Command, 315
Noble on Barded Elven Steed: BSB, Dragon armour, Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Potion of Foolhardiness, 170
17 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 421
5 Ellyrian Reavers: SB, Bows, 105
5 Ellyrian Reavers: SB, Swap for Bows, 95
10 Dragon Princes of Caledor: M, SB, Banner of the World Dragon, 360
1 Frostheart Phoenix: 240
Johannes "Der Puppenspieler" Mohr, High Elves 79 points
Prince on Star Dragon: General, Heavy armour, Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes, The Other Trickster's Shard, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, 639
Archmage: L4, High, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Dispel Scroll, 270
Lothern Sea Helm: BSB, Banner of Eternal Flame, 135
22 Archers: FCG, 250
6 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 168
26 White Lions: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon, 418
1 Great Eagle: 50
Total: 2,400
Jamie Payne, High Elves 74 points
Prince on Barded Elven Steed: General, Heavy armour, Shield, Giant Blade, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness, 276
Archmage: L4, High, Dispel Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Talisman of Endurance, 300
Lothern Sea Helm: BSB, Shield of the Merwyrm, Featherfoe Torc, 175
Noble on Barded Elven Steed: Dragon armour, Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, The Other Trickster's Shard, 145
6 Ellyrian Reavers: SB, Replace spears with bows, 112
5 Ellyrian Reavers: 80
5 Ellyrian Reavers: 80
13 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 329
26 White Lions of Chrace: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon, 418
Total: 2,395
I did a detail breakdown for High Elves before the tournament started and was surprised to find majority of players brought Star Dragons yet only 1 Star Dragon list got into the top 4 whilst the others were all similar to each other i.e Cavalry Bus with supporting elements.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#44 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think it matches with Curu's feeling that the SD list wasn't the strongest HE option this year due to all the comp restrictions placed on it. Too many compromises in a SD list and too many hard counters.

Which probably also plays into the one thing a good tournament list often has (especially in the team setting of the ETC) and that is reliability. Of the 5 best elf lists, 3 have Tyrion. And he is about as reliable as things get in a HE army. You have 400 points tied up in your general that just don't die unless you make some serious mistakes. The cavalry bus gets him where he needs to be and packs a serious punch with Tyrion and an extra prince in there.

Finish off the list with a hard hitting and durable special unit and your favorite rare choices and you're good to go. You have a list that is reasonably forgiving for a HE list, is fast, and is very capable of capitalizing on any mistake your opponent makes.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#45 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:You have 400 points tied up in your general that just don't die unless you make some serious mistakes.
Yeah, good luck killing this M10 guy if he's under World Dragon. Top up with Shield of Saphery for a laugh.

I do wonder how he would go under closed lists.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#46 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

This data is interesting but does not take into account many factors. Thus any conclusions drawn from are misleading or even wrong. Check out the report from Chris O'Brian aka Silas7 on TWF: Alioth for America: a Silas7 ETC report

He clearly states that his role was to get tough match ups, save as many points as possible thus allowing other team members to get better results in their games. And he is sporting Star Dragon.

How do you quantify the different roles armies from the same book might be assigned in general or even in particular round? How do you quantify the fact the situation might call for risk to be taken or hold back to avoid it? How do you quantify the ability of a player to actually execute the plan? Or how do you quantify the situations where people agree on a draw without a game?

And there are many more things that affect the average result per army.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#47 Post by Prince of Spires »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:How do you quantify the different roles armies from the same book might be assigned in general or even in particular round? How do you quantify the fact the situation might call for risk to be taken or hold back to avoid it? How do you quantify the ability of a player to actually execute the plan? Or how do you quantify the situations where people agree on a draw without a game?
The same way we always do when we discuss tactics / match-outcomes / army book and list strengths.

We make a bunch of assumptions and go with the idea that a lot will have averaged out between so many countries, players and armies. If you don't then you can't ever say anything about any army, armylist or tournament result. Yes, players will have gotten lucky and unlucky, received good or bad matchups and there definitely is a player skill factor involved. The assumption is that over a series of games things average out and player skill and list strength come to the fore.

So in the end, average result per army is about as fair a number as we got. And if the majority of HE players brought a star dragon but only one ended up in the top 5 HE lists while there are 3 Tyrions (and a cav prince list around build around the same idea) in the top 5 HE armies then statistically that does tell you something, even with all the other factors involved.

And so we looked at the defining factors of those Tyrion lists and some other comments by HE player on several lists (such as that of Curu about the SD list) and drew some conclusions from there. Are they perfect? No, of course not. But it's still better then just saying "well, we can't say anything at all about it since it all depends on so many factors". And it gives a basis for taking away some ideas and trying new things to see if our ideas were correct. In the end, that would roughly qualify as a scientific approach. Take a set of observations, draw some conclusions from them and test them out to see if they are true or not.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#48 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

No we don't. You take probabilities into account when talking about tactics and to assess if particular move is risky and justified under certain circumstances. You take real games into account when building the foundation for match up assessment etc., these are not based on assumptions at all.

I am not saying you cannot say anything about the results. These are not my words.

What I point out is that we have a small sample that is used to draw far reaching conclusions. The number of High Elf armies is not big for statistical analysis. Even smaller if you consider the fact that these armies are different, play differently and have different roles. As I have pointed out (which was also ignored in the process), an example of Silas and his army shows that you cannot consider the army and how many points it earned alone to determine if it was successful.

From the point of statistics this is not relevant result due to small number of samples and this is just the average with huge standard deviation result.

What is more, average is not even the best statistical tool in general, although the easiest one to obtain.

It would be more meaningful to have supporting data in the form of the results against particular armies to determine which HE version is stronger than others. But only if the tested "value" is the ability to earn highest amount of points total. Which we already know is not the goal for many armies, HE including.

If you believe that SD lists are not as strong as they used to be or as other HE armies under ETC rules this year etc., then it is all fine and I am not going to convince you otherwise. I don't even claim that this opinion is not justified.

However, if you take SD army list to the tournament, get paired with cannon heavy armies (because that was your role to take these match ups and get as many points as possible), don't earn many points total, and then claim it is not strong HE army list then it is more self-fulfilling prophecy and not scientific approach.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

pk-ng

#49 Post by pk-ng »

Hmm SM the problem with your approach is there will never be "sufficient" data for a sample size. ETC is the only tournament in the world that can support sufficient sample that approaches within a limited variance factors.

The breakdown for HE are as follows
Star Dragon - 8
Cav Star - 7
Others - 4
Teclis - 3
Light Council - 3

So 30% was Star Dragon whilst the other 30% was Cav Star and the remaining 40% were the remaining list (roughly).

So from the ETC meta we can conclude that the Star Dragon was the most popular list followed by the Cav Star (consisting of Prince and/or Tyrion in unit of Helms with BotWD).

People who finished above 60 even (the minimum you should be getting for a "defensive" / "tanking" list) the breakdown is as follows
6 Cav Star
3 Star Dragon
1 Other
1 Light Council

From here we can boldly conclude that Star Dragon was highly overrated (otherwise why would most people take it) and less than half "performed" whilst compared to the Cav star majority of them performed well (above 60) and 4/7 (again majority) were in the top 5.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#50 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi pk-ng,

I don't think it is that bad that there is not sufficient data. It is not the end of the world. What is more it is even more exciting because it allows players to keep trying to develop new approaches with the same armies thus increasing some variety of armies present and they way they are played. It also should allow to surprise the opponents as they might thing you are going to use particular force in a certain way while you have an ace in your sleeve.

There is nothing wrong in using break downs you provided to try and determine the approach for the next tournament season, to re-think the armies to be taken in the team in order to gain advantage over other opponents.

The fact that one army is more popular than the other is important factor. However, that popularity does not mean the army was taken for the same purpose. I don't know about the other teams but if at least one takes Star Dragon to preserve points and allow other team members to get better match ups so that the overall score is a win then I can say it might be similar for others too. And if that is the role for Star Dragon list then it is not correct conclusion that this army is not as strong.

In addition, if cavalry lists were taken to collect points and teams did their best to provide favorable match ups for them to do so, then you can clearly see you are comparing two different approaches. It's like saying a goal keeper is worse scorer than a forward and forgetting that his job is not to score but to do the saves.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Eirik

#51 Post by Eirik »

I think the main problem with taking a look at average scores to decide where an army stands is that these aren't random matchups, teams choose who to send where.

Like SwordMaster says, you might have a player who you intentionally send against tougher matchups because of how their list works. This might be the HE player. If a few teams do this, it confounds the stats because matchups are not random. Maybe HE are against a strong army like daemons very often (not sure if true, just a random example). If you send a squad of kamikaze pilots to blow up an enemy ship, and they succeed, you don't say they were the least effective squad because they had the lowest kill-death-ratio.

I haven't played at an ETC event before, but my impression is that you're playing as a specific part of a team, and your team needs to deal with various problems. Even if you earn the lowest points on your team it's possible you were one of its most effective members because you helped to solve those problems. A bracketed singles tournament is probably a much better judge of whether HE are over-comped because in such a tournaments the matchups are more random.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
pk-ng

#52 Post by pk-ng »

I'm not saying it the end of the world :). Just that we can do some "data-mining" within a relatively limited sample size. With the data-mining we need to minimise variance and make some and/or alot of assumptions. My approach is that a list can be used for any role; not on the assumption that is there a specific role (as you've seem to stated). 1 team may consider it to be a defensive list, 1 team may consider it to be a offensive list; it does not mean that whilst you have that list you are always on offense / defense as show in my BR. Each team take a different approach when it comes to the match up. So back on topic is that the popularity of the style of the army shows one thing is that it is perceived to be powerful otherwise why would so many people take that list?
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#53 Post by pk-ng »

Anyway wanted to reflect on the top builds for the other races as well

Beastmen
Denmark - Wilhelm Grøfte, Beastmen 107 points
Doombull: General, MoT, Gnarled Hide, Heavy armour, Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Sword of Swift Slaying, Dragonhelm, Potion of Speed, 363
Doombull: MoT, Great Weapon, Shield, Armour of Destiny, Arabyan Carpet, 366
Great Bray-Shaman: L4, Beast, Dispel Scroll, Shard of the Herdstone, 310
Gorebull: BSB, MoT, Great Weapon, Heavy armour, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Endurance, 248
Slugtongue: L2, Undeath, 190
10 Ungor Herd: FCG, 65
13 Ungor Herd: FCG, 80
6 Ungor Raiders: M, MoS, 45
5 Ungor Raiders: C, M, MoS 44
5 Ungor Raiders: M, MoS, 38
5 Ungor Raiders: MoS, 35
1 Tuskgor Chariot: MoS, 85
5 Harpies: 55
7 Putrid Blightkings: FCG, Banner of Swiftness, 325
Total: 2,550
Bretonnian
Ukraine - Danylo Kyivskyi, Bretonnia 82 points
Bretonnian Lord on Warhorse: General, Virtue of Heroism, Lance, Morning star, Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying, Gromril Great Helm, Potion of Speed, 243
Prophetess of the Lady on Warhorse: L4, Heaven, The Silver Mirror, Crown of Command, 315
The Green Knight on Shadow Steed: The Dolorous Blade, 275
Paladin on Barded Warhorse: BSB, Lance, Morning star, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, 115
Paladin on Barded Warhorse: Lance, Morning star, Shield, Falcon Horn of Fredemund, Luckstone, 132
Paladin on Barded Warhorse: Virtue of the Impetuous Knight, Lance, Morning star, Shield, 117
Paladin on Barded Warhorse: Morningstar, Shield, Armour of Agilulf, Lance of Artois, 128
Damsel of the Lady on Warhorse: L2, Beasts, Dispel Scroll, 140
12 Knights of the Realm: FCG, Banner of Swiftness, 327
13 Knights of the Realm: FCG, Banner of the Eternal Flame, 346
3 Pegasus Knights: 175
1 Field Trebuchet: 90
1 Field Trebuchet: 90
Total: 2,493
Chaos Dwarf
Turkey - Burak Sonbudak, Chaos Dwarfs 24 points
Sorcerer-Prophet: General, L4, Metal, Earthing Rod, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, 375
Daemonsmith Sorcerer: L1, Metal, Dispel Scroll, 120
Infernal Castellan: BSB, Shield, Dragonhelm, Luckstone, 147
20 Infernal Guards: FCG, Pistol, 274
20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats: SB, Bows, Shields, 118
20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats: Bows, Shields, 110
20 Hobgoblin Cutthroats: Bows, Shields, 110
3 Bull Centaur Renders: Shields, 135
1 Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher: 100
1 Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher: 100
1 Hellcannon: 210
1 Hellcannon: 210
5 Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders: 60
5 Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders: 60
Total: 2,399
Daemons of Chaos
Scotland - Pash Korniyenko, Daemons of Chaos 93 points
Herald of Nurgle: General, L1, Undeath, Lesser Gift, 150
Herald of Nurgle: BSB, Greater Locus of Fecundity, Razor Banner, 205
Herald of Tzeentch: L2, Tzeentch, 125
Herald of Tzeentch: L2, Metal, 125
The Blue Scribes: The Scrolls of Sorcery, 81
21 Plaguebearers: FCG, Banner of Discipline, 318
10 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch: L1, Tzeentch, M, SB, 150
10 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch: L1, Tzeentch, SB, 140
1 Beast of Nurgle: 60
1 Beast of Nurgle: 60
5 Chaos Furies: Daemons of Nurgle, 70
10 Putrid Blightkings: FCG, Banner of Swiftness, 445
5 Plague Drones: M, SB, Plague Proboscis, Lichebone Pennant, 335
1 Skullcannon: 135
Dark Elves
England - Marcus Lake, Dark Elves 88 points
Dreadlord on Black Dragon: General, Sea dragon cloak, Lance, Heavy armour, Repeater crossbow, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster’s Shard, 531
Dreadlord on Black Dragon: Sea dragon cloak, Heavy armour, Repeater crossbow, Cloak of Twilight, Ogre Blade, Luckstone, Enchanted Shield, 559
Master on Dark Steed: BSB, Halberd, Repeater crossbow, Heavy armour, Sea dragon cloak, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, 157
Sorceress: L1, Heavens, Dispel Scroll, 105
5 Dark Riders: C, Shields, Repeater Crossbows, 110
9 Dark Riders: SB, Shields, Repeater Crossbows, 190
13 Darkshards: FCG, Banner of Eternal Flame, 196
10 Witchelves: 110
9 Shades: SB, Great weapons, 172
5 Doomfire Warlocks: C, 135
5 Doomfire Warlocks: C, 135
Dwarfs
Poland - Maciej "Kudłaty" Przygórzewski, Dwarfs 82 points
Runesmith: General, Shield, Rune of Stone, 2 Rune of Spellbreaking, 113
Runesmith: Shield, Rune of Stone, 2 Rune of Spellbreaking, Rune of the Furnace, 118
Thane: BSB, Shield, Master Rune of Grugni, Rune of Stoicism, 188
Master Engineer: Rune of Stone, 75
41 Warriors: FCG, Great weapons, 440
41 Warriors: FCG, Great weapons, 440
1 Gyrocopter: 80
1 Bolt Thrower: 55
1 Grudge Thrower: Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Forging, Rune of Penetrating, 170
1 Grudge Thrower: Rune of Accuracy, 2 Rune of Penetrating, 155
1 Cannon: Rune of Forging, 145
1 Organ Gun: Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Burning, 150
Lizardmen
Bulgaria - Georgi Sariev, Lizardmen 92 points
Slann Mage Priest: General, BSB, Wandering Deliberations, Becalming Cogitations, Banner of Discipline, Scepter of Stability, 420
Old Blood on Cold One, Great weapon, Armour of Destiny, Luckstone, 231
Old Blood: Light armour, Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes, 229
Tetto'eko: L2, Heavens, The Eye of the Old Ones, The Stellar Staff, 185
Skink Priest: L1, Heavens, Dispel Scroll, 100
52 Skink Cohorts: FCG, 290
10 Skink Cohorts: 50
10 Skink Cohorts: 50
10 Skink Skirmishers: 70
27 Temple Guards: FCG, Banner of Swiftness, 423
3 Terradons: 105
3 Terradons: 105
Ogre Kingdoms
Spain - Pedro Daniel Ortega, "Deho", Ogre Kingdoms 84 points
Tyrant: General, Great weapon, Glittering Scales, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster`s Shard, 307
Slaughtermaster: L4, Death, Great weapon, Featherfoe Torc, Dispel Scroll 355
Bruiser: BSB, Lookout Gnoblar, Great weapon, Rune Maw, 206
Butcher: L1, Great Maw, Great weapon, Crown of Command, Charmed Shield, 149
Firebelly: L1, Fire, Additional hand weapon, Potion of Toughness, 142
13 Ogres: FCG, Ironfists, 446
42 Gnoblars: FCG, 130
10 Gnoblars: 25
1 Sabretusk: 21
6 Maneaters: FCG, Poisoned Attacks, Snipers, 6 Brace of ogre pistols, Gleaming Pennant, 407
1 Ironblaster: 170
Orcs & Goblins
Sweden - Marcus Östling, Orc & Goblins 91 points
Black Orc Warboss: General, Shield, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, Crown of Command, 253
Savage Orc Great Shaman: L4, Big Waaagh!, Lucky Shrunken Head, Obsidian Loadstone, 300
Night Goblin Shaman: L1, Undeath, Dispel Scroll, 75
Savage Orc Big Boss: BSB, Great weapon, Standard of Discipline, 119
Goblin Big Boss on Giant Wolf: Shield, 49
34 Savage Orc Big'Uns: FCG, Additional hand weapon, 409
20 Night Goblins: M, SB, Short Bows, 2 Fanatics, 130
5 Wolf Riders: Shields, 55
5 Wolf Riders: Shields, 55
8 Troll: 280
9 Troll: 315
1 Doom Diver: 80
1 Doom Diver: 80
1 Rock Lobber: 85
1 Rock Lobber: 85
1 Mangler Squig: 65
1 Mangler Squig: 65
Total: 2,500
Skaven
USA - Larry “Larro” Mottola , Skaven 87 points
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell: General, L4, Ruin / Plague / Undeath, Fencer's Blades, Skalm, Dragonbane Gem, Earthing Rod, 535
Warlord on Rat Ogre Bonebreaker: Shield, The Fellblade, 258
Chieftain: BSB, Shield, Banner of Verminous Scurrying, 82
Warlock Engineer: L2, Ruin, Dispel Scroll, 125
Warlock Engineer: L1, Ruin, Doom Rocket, Scroll of Shielding, Potion of Foolhardiness, 115
Warlock Engineer: Brass Orb, 65
43 Storm Vermin: FCG, Storm Banner, 376
38 Skavenslaves: C, M, 82
7 Gutter Runners: Slings, Poisoned Attacks, 126
7 Gutter Runners: Slings, Poisoned Attacks, 126
1 Warp Lightning Cannon: 90
3 Storm Fiends: 2 Rattling Gun, 1 Grinderfist, 255
Empire
Germany - Tore "Langbart" Plennis, The Empire 106 points
Arch Lector on War Altar of Sigmar: General, The Horn of Sigismund, Charmed Shield, 265
Wizard Lord: L4, Light, Obsidian Trinket, Sceptre of Stability, 230
Captain of the Empire on Imperial Pegasus: BSB, Full plate armour, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, 166
Battle Wizard: L1, Light, Dispel Scroll, 90
35 Halberdiers: FCG, 240
41 Halberdiers: FCG, 276
11 Archers: SB, 87
7 Demigryph Knights: M, SB, 426
1 Great Cannon: 120
1 Steam Tank: 250
1 Celestial Hurricanum: 130
1 Luminark of Hysh: 120
Tomb Kings
UN - Zack Martin, Tomb Kings 103 points
Queen Khalida: General, The Venom Staff, 365
Liche High Priest: Hierophant, L4, Nehekara, Dispel Scroll, 235
Liche High Priest: L4, Light, Neferra’s Scrolls of Mighty Incantations, 260
Liche Priest: L1, Light, Obsidian Amulet, 100
Liche Priest: L1, Light, Ironcurse Icon, 75
Liche Priest: L1, Light, 70
Tomb Herald: BSB, Great weapon, Banner of Eternal Flame, 99
70 Archers: FCG, 450
10 Archers: FCG, 90
5 Horse Archers: 70
5 Horse Archers: 70
4 Morghast Harbingers: 320
4 Morghast Archai: 360
1 Casket of Souls: 135
Total: 2,699
Vampire Counts
Malta - Daniel Degiorgio, Vampire Counts 96 points
Count Mannfred: General, L4, Death / Vampires, Dark Acolyte, Master of the Black Arts, Summon Creatures of the Night, Sword of Unholy Power, Armour of Templehof, 530
Master Necromancer: L4, Vampires, Dispel Scroll, Featherfoe Torc, 260
20 Zombies: SB, 65
6 Dire Wolves: 48
5 Dire Wolves: 40
5 Dire Wolves: 40
27 Crypt Ghouls: C, 280
7 Crypt Horrors: 266
7 Crypt Horrors: C, 276
1 Terrorgheist: 225
1 Mortis Engine: Blasphemous Tome, 240Total: 2,400
Warriors of Chaos
Hungary - Kristóf Eck, Warriors of Chaos 83 points
Daemon Prince: General, L4, Slaanesh, Daemon of Slaanesh, Soul Feeder, Scaled Skin, Chaos Familiar, Flaming Breath, Chaos Armour, Daemonic Flight, Dragonhelm, Obsidian Trinket, 550
Exalted Hero on Barded Demonic Mount: BSB, Great weapon, Chaos armour, Shield, MoT, Talisman of Preservation, Third Eye of Tzeentch, 259
Kholek Suneater: Starcrusher, 545
1 Chaos Chariot: MoN, 125
1 Chaos Chariot: MoN, 125
5 Marauder Horsemen: SB, MoK, Flails, 100
5 Marauder Horsemen: SB, MoK, Flails, 100
5 Marauder Horsemen: M, SB, MoK, Flails, 110
5 Chaos Warhounds: Vanguard, 40
1 Chaos Giant: MoS, 205
1 Mutalith Vortex Beast: 240
Wood Elves
Belarus - Tim Dvoskin, Wood Elves 85 points
Durthu: General, L1, Beast, 385
Spellweaver: L4, Shadow, Dispel Scroll, 245
Spellsinger: L1, Metal, Scroll of Shielding, 95
Glade Captain: BSB, Great weapon, Hail of Doom Arrow, Dragonbane Gem, 139
10 Glade Guard: Hagbane Tips, 150
10 Glade Guard: M, Trueflight Arrows, 160
3 Warhawk Riders: 135
3 Warhawk Riders: 135
5 Deepwood Scouts: Hagbane Tips, 80
6 Wild Riders: C, SB, Shields, 188
6 Wild Riders: C, SB, Shields, 188
5 Waywatchers: 100
5 Waywatchers: 100
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#54 Post by pk-ng »

Beastmen
Looking at Wilhelm's list it similar to the winner of ESC Frederick Humke (German reserve player / Bulgaria Merc player) and his list is as follows
Frederick Humke, Beastmen
Doombull: General, MoT, Great weapon, Heavy armour, Shield, Crown of Command, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, 368
Doombull: MoT, Great weapon, Shield, Arabyan Carpet, Armour of Destiny, 366
Doombull: MoT, Shield, Gnarled Hide, Sword of Swift Slaying, The Other Trickster`s Shard, Dragonbane Gem, Armour of Fortune, 346
Gorebull: BSB, MoT, Great weapon, Heavy armour, Talisman of Endurance, Charmed Shield, 248
Slugtongue: L2, Undeath, 190
Bray Shaman: L1, Shadow, MoS, Dispel Scroll, 105
Bray Shaman: L1, Shadow, MoS, Chalice of Dark Rain, 120
10 Gor Herd: M, SB, MoS 95
10 Gor Herd: M, SB, MoS 95
5 Ungor Raiders: M, MoS 38
5 Ungor Raiders: MoS 35
Total: 2,474
Lots of chaff at least 2 Doombulls and 3rd combat blocked (Frederick used Doombull whilst Wilhelm used BKS). Main difference was the L4 caster but it is to note Frederick also did well in ETC with 84 points. So with the introduction of Marks and Blightkings it increased the power level of Beastmen quite substantially from an army that was never / seldom take in 2013/2014 to a strong army in 2015.

Bretonnia
Bretonnian list don't really vary from year to year but the inclusion of special characters saw to it that the Green Knight made a heavy appearance. This list featured that "character" wall with 2 big bus with all the Bret toys in it.

Chaos Dwarves
Not sure what to make of CD as only 2 armies were present and neither did well. This year's comp was harsh on them and with the introduction of scenarios it may of hampered them.

Daemons of Chaos
A variation of last year's list with the addition of Blightkings...this gave the DoC some needed non-magical attacks which gave them lots flexibility to counter against High Elves and more importantly high armour targets!

Dark Elves
Interesting list which is different from the typical peg list seen in previous tournaments. The double dragon list is very aggressive with quite alot of flexbility from 1 magical and 1 non-magical attack from the Dreadlord. Like this list alot and it would be even something I would consider running as a fast and in-your-face army.

Dwarves
I've gotta say when I saw his points I was very impressed with his score and the breakdown is as follows
G1 vs Netherlands SK 15
G2 vs New Zealand DE 15
G3 vs Italy EM 10
G4 vs England OG 17
G5 vs Sweden SK 12
G6 vs Norway DW 13
Very impressed as I consider this to be a typical "Shooty" dwarf list and didn't drop a single game!

Lizardmen
I'd always pegged the Kroak + L4 list to be far superior and surprisingly the 2nd LM list was also a list similar to this. L4 with 2 oldblood. An interesting relevation as combat heavy seems to be the way to go.

Ogre Kingdoms
Alot of OK this year brough ME with Sniper, Poisoned combo which was another surprise for me as ETC has "nerfed" how sniping into the 2nd rank was heavy cover which meant it was hard for the ME to pick up characters points (-1 snipe, -2 heavy cover, -1 long range = no poison). Then again I'm not familiar with OK as I haven't played against them often.

Orcs & Goblins
Typical O&G list which has changed year to year. Under a competent general they can do wonders!

Skaven
Interesting list with only 1 WLC and the use of the imfamous stormfiend. Haven't really got the chance to vs these buggers but I heard they are a tough unit to counter and with the inclusion of this for SK it possibility did them alot of good.

Empire
Ahh the DGK bus...I heard Jack Armstrong talk about a list similar to this on a podcast once and it's definitely something to be feared. Fast and strong with 1+ armour and no magical attacks supported by a mini-light council and the support chariots do make the DGK a toughnut to crack and it's definitely a list I would also like to play with.

Tomb Kings
Khalida with 70 archers....even with 1 round of shooting with no magical support with see on average 20+ wounds before armour saves. Along with light council its definitely a list that'll be hard to take on! Neke with Morghast as well! ouch!

Vampires Counts
Not surprised he came first and not surprised with this list. Along of VC brought the Manny + L4 list but there are multiple variation of it. Daniel even mention to the AR that more comp was need for this list as it was too powerful!

Warriors of Chaos
Some interesting choices in his list and definitely some eye openers...lots of "monsters" and some tough units with deal with especially for non-cannon / catapults armies.

Wood Elves
Biggest eye opener for me...Durthu!? and not your typical run and shoot army. Don't get me wrong...there's alot of shooting and it's also very MSU style army. Definitely something Swordmaster you can have a look at :). I'm liking this list alot as it's really the only "out-of-the box" list listed so far.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board