High Elfs win both Best Overall and Best generalat the Quake

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Hinge

High Elfs win both Best Overall and Best generalat the Quake

#1 Post by Hinge »

In a last celebration of 8th. ed., High elves performed very well.

Should have results posted this week.

Hinge
[size=150][url=http://hingehammer.blogspot.com]Hinge Hammer Blog[/url][/size]

[url=http://www.rqgpodcast.com/]Rage Quit Gaming[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: High Elfs win both Best Overall and Best generalat the Q

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Fantastic news and congratulations to the winner! Do you think you could convince him to provide some brief write up for his fellow HE players?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Hinge

#3 Post by Hinge »

well one is still vacationing here in SF. I assume the other has made it back across the country.

I believe they are both forum members.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Silly me! I thought it's the same person. In that case, congratulations to both of them! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Malossar
Something Cool

#5 Post by Malossar »

Hey! So I ended up making the trip out to QCR from Maryland. I actually took the whole week and saw some old friends. I was waiting for Hinge to post the results but since it seems he's still recovering from Quake I thought I'd post a few words.

Quake is the premier tournament in the USA in my mind and I've now played in all 5 of the master's regions in the states (although its been awhile for some so there could have been improvements). But the scene is outstanding (what's better than downtown San Francisco?), free beer on Saturday AND LD2 barbequed lunch for us. Not only that but it's one of the smoothest running tournaments I've ever attended with few or little problems.

Comp is worked out by submitting your list, having a panel of 6 members rate you list on a 0-3 scale with .5 intervals. The two most extreme scores are chucked and final four scores are double resulting in your comp score. I managed to comp a 14 meaning I'd be playing a softer list in my first matchup up and would have the final score added into my final total.

And I managed to take Best Overall!

My matchups were (with comp score):
Dark Elves 14
Ogres 12
High Elves 14
Dark Elves 0
Skaven 19

Here's the list I took: I'm assuming that I'm allowed to post point costs now since warhammer and high elves aren't technically a thing anymore.

Prince [140] [General]
+Armor of Destiny [50]
+Star Lance [30]
+Other Tricksters Shard [15]
+Dragon Bane Gem [5]
+Shield [3]
+White Lion Cloak [6]
+Great Eagle [50]
=299

Prince [140]
+Dragon Armor [20]
+Great Eagle [50]
+Giant Blade [60]
+Dawnstone [25]
+Dragonhelm [10]
+Potion of Foolhardiness [5]
+Shield [3]
=313

Prince [140]
+Additional Handweapon [3]
+Reaver Bow [25]
+Shadow Armor [ 25]
+Potion of Strength [20]
+Talisman of Endurance [30]
=243

Archmage [185]
+Level 4 [35]
+Dispel Scroll [25]
+Lore of Heavens [0]
=245

Noble [70]
+Battle Standard Bearer [25]
+Great Eagle [50]
+Talisman of Preservation [45]
+Encahnted Shield [5]
+Lance [6]
+Dragon Armor [10]
+Great Eagle [50]
=211

28x Archers [280]
+Full Command Group [30]
=310

6x Silver Helms [126]
+Shields [12]
+Champion, Standard Bearer [20]
=158

6x Silver Helms [126]
+Shields [12]
+Champion, Standard Bearer [20]
=158

8x Shadow Warriors
=112

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
=70
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
=70
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
=70
Frostheart Phoenix
=240

Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Cold Phoenix

#6 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Malossar, congratulations. Any chance that you'll be doing some more Video battle reports for Shadow in the North? Also, any chance of a breakdown of how your list plays? It looks like a HE version of the DE flying Circus, with more combat potential at the expense of some armour and supporting mages.

Congratulations to the Best general too. I'd be very interested to hear anything they have to say about their games.
Ladril Caledor

#7 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Yeah I'd be really interested in those battle reports too. It's an intriguing list and I'd love to see exactly how it played out.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#8 Post by Ferny »

Congrats - great to see an Ulthuan regular get a big win, and doubly so with an unusual army. Looks like the Eagle Air Force made it across the Atlantic :D. Would love to hear more about how your battles went with that army, and what impact comp had on how you played and your overall score.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Malossar
Something Cool

#9 Post by Malossar »

I will not be doing any real battle reports as I forgot my camera 3,000 miles away :lol: and I honestly I was inteding too but knowing me, I don't have the time and I'm honestly not that good of a battle reporter. I find that I forget to take important pictures and my BRs are a bit too stream of consciousness.

I'll probably end up doing a video with the list where I can explain some of my choices in more detail than a forum post... would that be of any interest?

The list was fun. With Quake, it's imperative to have a double digit comp score since it's added to your overall score AND sets pairings in the first round. So my challenge was making a list that appeared weak but still had enough strength to handle anything my opponents could potentially throw at me.

So EAF it was. Take Heavens, add a shadow prince and boom suddenly I had a very flexible list that was quite formidable at range (28 archer shots, three bolt throwers, a reaver bow and shadow warriors comet not withstanding) and as soon as small elite units started to threaten my flyers could jump out and absolutely smash them. Or they could completely flip the table on turn 1 redeployment and completely crush my opponents best laid battle plans.

I would like to go on record as one of the original authors of the EAF with Finreir :wink: we started these almost two editions ago.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#10 Post by Elithmar »

Any insight would be great, so a video just about the list would be perfect if you haven't got photos.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#11 Post by Axiem »

Great showing Malossar!

Congratulations!

Axiem
teep

#12 Post by teep »

Yay, well done Mal! It's a pity that you have such a poor, distorted image of your qualities as a battle reporter tho :D.
While I totally get the whole leaving-the-cam-behind thingy (something that would happen to me any given saturday), I for one love your reporting style: great humour and good analysis, what's not to like?

That's why I've always hoped that you take your first Huzah rep as a mold to work from, as I consider this one of your best ones thus far. Of course, those things are quite time consuming and I can't blame
anyone spending their precious spare time in other ways, but your skills shouldn't take the blame either.

Tl;dr - Mal, and also you, Mr Axiem: give us more bat reps =D>
Malossar
Something Cool

#13 Post by Malossar »

teep

#14 Post by teep »

thanks =D>
Hinge

#15 Post by Hinge »

Malossar wrote:Quake is the premier tournament in the USA in my mind and I've now played in all 5 of the master's regions in the states (although its been awhile for some so there could have been improvements). But the scene is outstanding (what's better than downtown San Francisco?), free beer on Saturday AND LD2 barbequed lunch for us. Not only that but it's one of the smoothest running tournaments I've ever attended with few or little problems.

Wow, thanks for the kind words. It has been a blast to run the Quake the last five years and hearing that people feel it is a good time is the reward I enjoy.

Hopefully who ever takes it over can keep the tradition of a great Tourney going.

Hinge