Total war Warhammer

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Total war Warhammer

#61 Post by Prince of Spires »

Knight of the Raven wrote: EDIT: Here's a dilemma reported from Warseer:
The game occasionally gives you "dilemmas" where you need to pick between two options, which have some minor consequences. Today I got one which shows you CA managed to nail the warhammer character really well; it was basically a suggestion that was like "gee there's a lot of grudges, maybe we should leave that grudgesettling be and focus on the bigger picture for a bit" and the two options were "what? No! Honour first!" and "Stop yer wobbling! Honour of course!!"
They apparently got the humor bit right at least. :)
Sounds fun. It really does look like they managed to capture the essence of Warhammer in the game. I can imagine that the Total War team was not happy at all with GW AoS decisions. My feeling is that if they had launched this game at the end of 8th ed. the forum would have been full of people buying, playing and sharing thoughts about this game. Now, I think it will still do ok, but a lot of die-hard WH fans turned GW hater are not getting the game. Especially not on launch.
Knight of the Raven wrote:
(or any of the other recent parts in the series for that matter)
I've had more fun than I ever had with the Total War series with Rome II, and I'd have that too with Attila if they hadn't changed the way skills level up and agents recruitment worked (in addition to the impossibility to play a small nation starting on the Mediterranean Sea). I love the limit to armies they put into the game and am thankful I don't need trade nodes as a crutch just to have enough money to do anything, like I did in Empire and Shogun II. Of course, I play on easy and use mods to make the game even easier (less corruption, less penalty for expansionism, no civil war), so I'm not exactly the best person to ask about these two games. :D

One word of caution if you want to play as Macedon in Rome II though; a glitch they haven't corrected and likely never will correct means you don't have all the level 2 army traditions (i.e. skills). Guess I'll have to start a new Athens playthrough if I want these... Gotta crush Rome in my current playthrough first though. :lol:
Sounds fun (except for the glitch part that is). So, which is better, Attila or Rome II (game mechanic wise)? I keep seeing both of them and want to get one. I'm assuming the price will drop (slightly) now TW:WH is out. So, I can justify the expense to myself (whereas the WH one is too expensive at the moment for the amount of time I have to play it).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Knight of the Raven

#62 Post by Knight of the Raven »

I can't tell you which is better, but I can tell you everyone I've seen on forums consider Rome II an unfinished abortion compared to Attila. I can also tell you my favorite is by far Rome II and I didn't have that much fun with Attila. I also like the skills management in Rome II better than the one in Attila, though it's still imperfect.

Here are the features I remember from both games:

Rome II: agents can be recruited anywhere as soon as they become available; can do every action from the start
Attila: agents need a specific building to be recruited and can only be recruited in provinces featuring that building; need to unlock over half their actions when they level up to be able to use them

Rome II: need to worry only about public order and food supplies
Attila: need to worry about sanitation, decreasing fertility and army integrity in addition to public order and food supplies

Rome II: autoresolve shows the amount of your army that's going to survive the battle
Attila: autoresolve only shows a vague likelyhood of victory or defeat

Rome II: only Mediterranean factions have artillery ships
Attila: all factions have artillery ships

Rome II: Rome doesn't have archers outside of level IV auxilliary barracks in specific regions
Attila: both Roman empires have archers and crossbowmen

Rome II: only elite archers such as Cretan mercenaries have whistiling and heavy arrows
Attila: all archers have all arrow shots; slavic nations get poisoned arrows in addition to the other types

Rome II: only barbarian factions can sack a settlement (get money without capturing it); no razing
Attila: didn't test which factions can sack; everyone can raze settlements (destroy it and require a hefty sum to recolonize starting from scratch) as far as I know

Rome II: edicts (regional bonuses) can only be put in wholly controlled provinces
Attila: edicts only require a governor assigned to the province

Rome II: no family tree
Attila: family tree

Rome II: all units are eternally recruitable
Attila: cheaper, lower tier units aren't available anymore once their upgrade technology is researched

Rome II: nothing can catch fire other than ships
Attila: whole settlement can catch fire, lowering defender morale and requiring more money to repair once the battle is won

All that said, I suggest watching a few let's play on youtube.

EDIT: I forgot the most important. The developers of Rome II thought it was a good idea to force your generals and admirals to acquire bad traits just for staying in a settlement. If you buy Rome II, find a mod on the Steam workshop that removes these traits.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#63 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the reviews. It's a good comparison. Still not sure which one to get though ;) It sounds like Rome is a bit more simple (as in less customization and options) and Attila is more complete and complex. And that on the other hand Attila removed some strange elements which affected gameplay.

I like the idea of easier game play. On the other hand, Attila sounds great as well and perhaps more rounded out.
Knight of the Raven wrote:All that said, I suggest watching a few let's play on youtube.
Great suggestion. I hadn't considered this. Thanks for that.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Francis

#64 Post by Francis »

I have played all the TW games since Medieval I back in 2002, and I can say that the release of Total WAAAAAAAAGHhammer is by far the smoothest I have ever experienced.

Rome II was horrifyingly bad on release and actually stopped me from buying any of the DLCs for more than 6 months as I waited for it to stabilize (and it did). Attila was better and I now consider both games to be very good in my eyes.

Warhammer however, blows them out of the water, and I will say that even at this early stage it compares very favorably to Total War Shogun II, which is lauded as the best TW game in terms of gameplay by a large majority of the forum dwellers (I can agree with this even if Japan holds very little interest for me).

In Total Warhammer the troops look right, the maps look lovely, the ambiance is just so, the characters and the way they talk and act are copied so well from the army books, and the whole games just feels so much like Warhammer that I sometimes wonder whether Creative Assembly hired Rick Priestly to work on this game in secret.

Further, it has so much potential. Warhammer fans are going nuts with the modding tools, and CA are working on a ridiculously large amount of DLC and FLC for the game. Bretonnians will be the next race released and I expect Wood Elves and Beastmen to follow close on their heels in their own Athel Loren based mini campaign (in addition to being playable on the grand campaign map). This comes in addition to two major expansions that will push the borders of the map further (can't wait for the high elves!).

In short I love it.
Knight of the Raven

#65 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Yeah, from the dwarves let's play I watched in my language, Warhammer Total War looks awesome. And I believe the Creative Assembly just showcased their first "mod week," atleast according to my Total War game launcher.

~ edited off topic out
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#66 Post by Prince of Spires »

I in the end decided to go for Rome 2. A few reasons. Mainly, I like empire building. And though the Attila mechanics look like great fun, for my return to TW after a few years of absence I decided to go for the 'real' thing. The other is graphics / performance. I'm running the game on a laptop, with no dedicated graphics chip. And Rome 2 is a lot less demanding on the graphics part. Which probably means that Rome 2 will offer the best visual experience. Finally, I managed to find a good (75% off) deal for Rome 2. And while I wasn't prepared to pay the full € 54, paying € 13 wasn't a big point. Though it must be said, I also saw the same deal for Attila, so I might simply get that in the near future as well. Just for fun :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Knight of the Raven

#67 Post by Knight of the Raven »

If you like empire building, then I suggest you find a mod that decreases the expanding penalties (increased Imperium comes with diplomatic and corruption penatlies among other things), though I also suggest you try a first playthrough without it to be sure about how much you can expand without having to rely on allies and client states to win the victory conditions (or even have a positive income, from what I've seen on forums).

I like Athens, because the provinces needed for a military victory border the Mediterranean Sea and I was planning to conquer all of it anyway. :lol:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#68 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. At the moment I'm indeed having a playthrough of the regular, unmodded game. As Rome at the moment. I'll probably also have an unmodded playthrough as one of the other factions (not sure if I'll get any DLC's or just stick to the available ones). And I'll see after that. Depends a bit on how much / often I get to play. I have too many hobbies / not enough time...

Rod

Check out my plog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#69 Post by Prince of Spires »

For those who want to purchase it and haven't done so already, I've found it on sale somewhere online http://www.wingamestore.com/product/567 ... WARHAMMER/. 15% off

Note, I only know this store because I've bought something there at some point. That's all I know of this store. So, don't know how trustworthy it is other then that.

Rod

Check out my plog

Giladis
The Merlord

#70 Post by Giladis »

I have watched a few playthroughs now and I like it. I wonder if there is going to be a modding community for the 9th Age :mrgreen:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#71 Post by Prince of Spires »

Perhaps you should just contact CA and explain to them that WH died and has now moved on to the 9th Age. Ask them to update the current game. And see if TW:Warhammer 2 can't simply be set in the 9th Age world.

:p

Check out my plog

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#72 Post by Ferny »

Giladis wrote:I have watched a few playthroughs now and I like it. I wonder if there is going to be a modding community for the 9th Age :mrgreen:
I would bet on it!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#73 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Ferny wrote:
Giladis wrote:I have watched a few playthroughs now and I like it. I wonder if there is going to be a modding community for the 9th Age :mrgreen:
I would bet on it!
I'm sure there will be a few people who do some work on it. But a whole modding community? I'm not as sure on that. Lets face it, we went to 9th age because the old world was killed. Given a choice of playing in the old world or the 9th age world I'd stick with the old world. By the time you are looking for people to mod this to 9th age you are dealing with a quadruple nich- warhammer, 9th age, total war players (the must be the largest of the 4), and people who take the time to mod. However despite the odds, thanks to the internet there are sure to be a few.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#74 Post by Ferny »

It won't be the whole modding community for sure, but there'll be enough T9Aers who mod that it will be a thing, I'm sure.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#75 Post by SpellArcher »

Razzy Mac wrote:I spent an unhealthy amount of time on total war games in my teen years, especially Rome, Medieval and Medieval II. The last I owned was Empire and since then I don't do any gaming at all on PC.. If I had a machine capable of playing games this would definitely have my interest as it develops... as it is I doubt I'll be buying a new computer just to play it. Why didn't you do this ten years ago GW?!
Rome: Total War to be released for iPad it seems:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... o-the-ipad

One day Warhammer?