Total war Warhammer

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tyrion Reaper

Total war Warhammer

#1 Post by Tyrion Reaper »

Not sure if its the right forum but Total War: Warhammer has been officially announced.

http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-warham ... h-trailer/
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/Start-medal.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg3-2iu34.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/p3wf8k.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img]
Lord Anathir

Re: Total war Warhammer

#2 Post by Lord Anathir »

Yup, you beat me to it by a hair.

No elves at all...but at least dwarfs got a cameo.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Lord Anathir

#3 Post by Lord Anathir »

Confirmed: No Elves in total war
Races are O+G, VC, Empire, Dwarfs.

I'm SHOCKED dwarfs got picked over any of the elves and/or chaos. Stunned actually.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

BGNLordHelmut

#4 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

I believe there are two planned expansions so my guess is we'll see one or more Elves in an expansion pack.
Visit me (Mut) at [url=http://www.nerdhammer.net/]Nerdhammer: Just a bunch of losers playing with dolls[/url]
Lord Anathir

#5 Post by Lord Anathir »

yeah they'll be in an expansion for sure.

Optimistic

#6 Post by Optimistic »

Lord Anathir wrote:Confirmed: No Elves in total war

I'm SHOCKED dwarfs got picked over any of the elves and/or chaos. Stunned actually.
A lord of change does make an appearance towards the end of the trailer, so I'd expect chaos present in some form or another. Judging by CA'S previous recent total war games, expect a heavy use of DLC, even the announcement post on their forums implied there was going to be lots of DLC as well as this game being the first of a trilogy, comprising the largest total war yet.

All that said though man am I excited, finally something to put all this end times mess behind for me.
HERO

#7 Post by HERO »

PLEASE DON'T SUCK.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Lord Anathir wrote:Confirmed: No Elves in total war

If I were to start with 4 it's probably the route I'd take. MAYBE chaos over the undead, but Dwarves over elves without a doubt. (All this assumes the map preend times of course)
jwg20

#9 Post by jwg20 »

Total War games have rarely sucked. In fact, I have enjoyed every single one of them. They constantly release patches to change balance issues as well, which will be a welcome change to the warhammer world.

They also have never had a game with only 4 factions. I can almost guarantee that the 4 factions they have announced officially will not be the only 4 factions in the game. The rest will be kept under wraps until the release date draws closer. There may be multiple factions from each race (men, dwarfs, OnG, undead), but there will be more than 4 factions. That there is a lord of change cameo suggests that chaos will make an appearance, maybe as a faction that you cannot play (like the Golden Horde in Medieval II, you couldn't use them in campaign but you could in multiplayer battles).

If that is the case, I am pumped! I see at some point the chaos hordes coming down from the north, just like the mongols just appeared in Medieval II, and you get to fight off one of the great chaos incursions! I am also really pumped that Comet made an appearance.

As the game typically takes place in the "past," I'm curious that part of Warhammer history will the game encompass?
Link to my YouTube Channel:
Gandalf_82

#10 Post by Gandalf_82 »

I'm not overly sure how I feel about this, I absolutely love the TW games but thats partly due to the fact they are based on real life historical periods. I'm not sure how well it'll work in a Fantasy environment.

Take magic for example, it just doesnt fit with their usual battle mechanics of ranged weaponry and combat combined with morale and manoeuvring. Will be interesting to see how they try and handle that. Can we expect your Shaman General to fall foul of a miscast and suddenly your 5 star general is no more and you've an army deep in enemy territory with no leader for example? Just not sure it'll work...

Dont even get me started on flying units...

In theory could be epic. I fear it'll disappoint though. Also be interesting to see in what world they base it! As in whats left after all this ET carnage!!
Giladis
The Merlord

#11 Post by Giladis »

I am really excited about this.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#12 Post by Prince of Spires »

Giladis wrote:I am really excited about this.
+1 :)
Gandalf_82 wrote:Take magic for example, it just doesnt fit with their usual battle mechanics of ranged weaponry and combat combined with morale and manoeuvring.
I don't see why not. Magic can be split the same way as in regular WH, so damage, augment, hex. For damage spells you can just treat them like any ranged damage. Not a lot of difference between a catapult hit or a comet coming down. Augments and hexes are easy. They alter stats of a unit, which just means a unit is less likely to flee or easier to hit.

The tricky part is balancing it and making it easy to use in a battle without needing to micromanage everything. Getting the cost of a mage compared to his impact on a battlefield right and making it so that you don't need a mage per se while still keeping them useful is difficult. But that is no different from any other unit and something Total War is usually good enough at.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Francis

#13 Post by Francis »

Can't wait to see the map, and I wonder how they are going to implement the world underground. I mean Skaven hardly have any above ground holdings at all.

Oh and please please please give us the option to customize units and characters....
Lord Anathir

#14 Post by Lord Anathir »

Or... magic users are limited to generals only.

J4far

#15 Post by J4far »

GW is forcing them to have zero official mod support for the game unfortunately. That's not to say the game won't be mod-able, but there will be no official integration of a mod system like the current titles and Steam workshop.

I REALLY hope they spend enough time developing the game. The past 3 major releases (Empire, Shogun 2, Rome 2) have all had horrible releases full of game-breaking bugs, mostly due to what appears to be zero actual playtesting. CA always does a good job of patching things post release, and all three of those games are now quite polished but their initial state was garbage. Keep this in mind when considering pre-orders as they will inevitably throw in free-LC available at release to entice (bribe) you to give them money before actual reviews are published.

That being said I am very excited for the release and have been waiting for CA to do a warhammer game for a long time. The game engine fits amazingly well with WHFB. Magic will probably be like unit/general powers introduced in S2 and R2, but expanded to include some active damage things (like drop a comet somewhere, etc...)
Rogue Trader

#16 Post by Rogue Trader »

Surprised that GW decided to end the Warhammer world just before the release of the biggest ever opportunity to market and promote WFB…but, I always struggle to understand their business strategy.

I wonder if the choice of Empire, Dwarfs, O&G and VC is influenced by geography, as all 4 races can be in ‘roughly’ the same part of the ‘old’ Warhammer world, allowing expansions to add new races whilst revealing more of the map.
Mentheus of Chrace

#17 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Yes, I think the Old World choice was deliberate.

Also, as the End Times story progressed, all the major players relocated to the Old World. I was worried when the elves all relocated to Athel Loren that GW might have been shrinking the map so it would fit a game engine better. By Archaon everyone is either in space or the Old World.

(Edit: corrected autocorrect)
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Razzy Mac

#18 Post by Razzy Mac »

I spent an unhealthy amount of time on total war games in my teen years, especially Rome, Medieval and Medieval II. The last I owned was Empire and since then I don't do any gaming at all on PC.. If I had a machine capable of playing games this would definitely have my interest as it develops... as it is I doubt I'll be buying a new computer just to play it. Why didn't you do this ten years ago GW?!
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
fransotto

#19 Post by fransotto »

In a interview CA says;

"Warhammer world is great, and much is still unclear even to us. We are definitely not past the alpha stage yet, but it will definitely be more classic Warhammer - we are not in "The End Times" yet. I should probably not say, says Mike and sounds immediately remorseful."

Google translate from
https://translate.google.se/translate?s ... edit-text=
Davariel
Chronicler

#20 Post by Davariel »

This is pretty exciting stuff, that trailer was what I'd imagine Warhammer would look like in a movie!

I am baffled about where GW is going with Warhammer as a whole, though, between this, the Mordheim game, and the End Times... :?
Francis

#21 Post by Francis »

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.p ... on-from-CA.

Take especially note of this
- Future instalments of the trilogy will expand the world-map, bringing unique new terrain and introducing new playable Lords and their races. We’re planning these to be massive standalone follow-ups to the main game (like ATTILA to ROME II). You’ll be able to get just these and play them on their own if you like or, if you have the main game too, you’ll eventually be able to play across an expanded campaign map that includes all available areas of the Old World.
So no Ulthuan, Southlands, Lustria, Darklands, Cathay, Ind or Naggaroth.
Althi

#22 Post by Althi »

I'd be very surprised if a true Total War game only had 4 factions, this would be a huge step back in the evolution of the Total War series. If the initial release has you fighting the same 3 factions over and over, i really don't see it being an enjoyable experience to play through. As other posters have stated they will probably announce the factions that are to be included in the game as the development process progresses, this ensures continued advertisement opportunities, media interest, discussion and hype building prior to the game's release.

Also I'd be reticent to take much from a pre alpha announcement trailer regarding the "confirmed" factions in the final release - sounds like the developers don't even know what is going into the game at this point.

Edit... ok i stand corrected :D
Francis wrote:http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.p ... on-from-CA.

Take especially note of this
- Future instalments of the trilogy will expand the world-map, bringing unique new terrain and introducing new playable Lords and their races. We’re planning these to be massive standalone follow-ups to the main game (like ATTILA to ROME II). You’ll be able to get just these and play them on their own if you like or, if you have the main game too, you’ll eventually be able to play across an expanded campaign map that includes all available areas of the Old World.
So no Ulthuan, Southlands, Lustria, Darklands, Cathay, Ind or Naggaroth.
So if you want an actual Total War game with the content you'd expect from a Total War game on release you'll need to buy the initial release game and mutiple standalones? Hahahaha Oh Creative Assembly you must have sold your soul to obtain the IP rights. Sounds like this "could" be a CA/GW consumer/fanboy wallet milking extravaganza!
Mentheus of Chrace

#23 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

End Times confirmed I suppose.

ie elf expansion adds Athel Loren, not ulthuan
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
John Rainbow

#24 Post by John Rainbow »

HERO wrote:PLEASE DON'T SUCK.
I know! I'm excited about this one!
Findolfin

#25 Post by Findolfin »

Optimistic wrote: All that said though man am I excited, finally something to put all this end times mess behind for me.
This.

Was not able to touch a brush since then, hopefully this will raise my spirit.
A tale of Ellyrion, cavalry army blog:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=749457#p749457
Painting log:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=816029#p816029
"We ride until the sun sets..."
Gandalf_82

#26 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Prince of Spires wrote:
Gandalf_82 wrote:Take magic for example, it just doesnt fit with their usual battle mechanics of ranged weaponry and combat combined with morale and manoeuvring.
I don't see why not. Magic can be split the same way as in regular WH, so damage, augment, hex. For damage spells you can just treat them like any ranged damage. Not a lot of difference between a catapult hit or a comet coming down. Augments and hexes are easy. They alter stats of a unit, which just means a unit is less likely to flee or easier to hit.

The tricky part is balancing it and making it easy to use in a battle without needing to micromanage everything. Getting the cost of a mage compared to his impact on a battlefield right and making it so that you don't need a mage per se while still keeping them useful is difficult. But that is no different from any other unit and something Total War is usually good enough at.

Rod
Maybe I should elaborate more on what I was thinking. Magic to me in Warhammer can be absolutely a game winner when used right (and the dice are with you) and the flipside of the coin is that you can put 350 points into a level 4 and lose him turn 1 to a miscast. Straight away your suggestion for how it can work takes out the random element and magic defence if its just your own mages either acting as a ranged weapon or popping a boost onto your own units/hex onto theirs. I like with Warhammer the strategy behind defending in the magic phase. You've hit the nail on the head by saying the tricky part is balancing it. I think they'll just dumb it down massively and you wont get dispels as we know them. That's fine in a way but I like that element of Warhammer and the chance of a miscast.

I'm just a bit "I love Warhammer and I love Total War games and I'm worried they'll make a hash of this and taint both of them in my eyes"

That being said I genuinely hope they nail this game and it is the beauty we all hope it could be.

(Although I'm not so sure my missus would agree! Could be a problem!!)
RE.Lee

#27 Post by RE.Lee »

I hope it will be a good game with a warhammer theme (like Dawn of War) rather than a wannabe emulator (like Mark of Chaos). Anyway, I'm very excited about this release!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
John Rainbow

#28 Post by John Rainbow »

Findolfin wrote:Was not able to touch a brush since then, hopefully this will raise my spirit.
This has been my experience too. I just can't get hyped to put a load of effort into stuff that may turn out to be unusable.
Francis

#29 Post by Francis »

I am very afraid that this game will enter the End Times with the expansions though. Lets hope not, but I wouldn't get too excited.
Gandalf_82

#30 Post by Gandalf_82 »

John Rainbow wrote:
Findolfin wrote:Was not able to touch a brush since then, hopefully this will raise my spirit.
This has been my experience too. I just can't get hyped to put a load of effort into stuff that may turn out to be unusable.

I've been finishing up some bits ready for a weekend event I've had booked since pre End Times. Once that is out of the way in a fortnight I'm feeling exactly the same, wont paint any Elves until we see what the future has to hold. Fingers crossed...