Take heart! (Spoilers!)

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tah Kazak Rik

Take heart! (Spoilers!)

#1 Post by Tah Kazak Rik »

I have not posted on this forum in many many years. But the ET: Archaon spoilers have brought me here.

The Mods here can totally (and obviously) feel free to move the thread where they feel the thread to be more appropriate spot.

Anyway...here we go -

As many may know the world of warhammer has ceased to essentially exist

And because of this I know many are considering giving up the hobby. In fact I know many elf players have given up because of ET: Khaine.

But I want to post here what I posted over at Bugman's Brewery.

We must not not let GW decide for us that the Warhammer world is destroyed! We should continue to play 8th edition with our family and friends and continue to be an active member of our forum communities!

As the Chaos Dwarf players continued their army without GW support, we must strive together as warhammer players and continue the hobby in spite of the terrible news.

I am not sure how many will listen to what I say here, as we are all individuals and can make our own choices, but I want to try and motivate all of us to not give up. We should not give up.

All of us have spent time, money, heart, soul, and mind on making our armies, writing our fluff, and painting them. Countless hours of our time spent having fun with family and friends. We should not give up simply because GW says the warhammer world is essentially destroyed.

I think together with Bugman's Brewery, Warhammer Empire, Warseer, and other Warhammer forums, we can continue the hobby. We can develop FAQs, new fluff, update armies, and so forth. We should not give up.

Perhaps this is all the ramblings of a foolish person trying to cling to the remains of a game system that is now essentially at an end. But perhaps it will motivate some.

Enough ramblings from this Dwarf for today.

Cheers and take heart!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Take heart! (Spoilers!)

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

If it's needed it'll happen. Mordheim, Blood Bowl, Necromunda, Battle Fleet Gothic and even Man O' War still have a fanatical following. And none of those ever had the size of the fan base of Warhammer. In a lot of ways the lack of official support have made them better games.
Shadeseraph

#3 Post by Shadeseraph »

While I won't turn my back to this new 9th edition until I've seen it with my own eyes, my heart will always be with the "classic" WHFB.

I will continue playing and moving forward in this our world.

Thanks for your support, and I hope to see you and your bearded brothers around. Maybe in the battlefield, even!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I've played this game since the day it hit the shelves.

Giving up is not an option.
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

I think the whole idea of this thread is both premature and negative. We haven't even seen the next edition yet. The sky might fall but then again it might not. Let's wait and see shall we?
Myth

#6 Post by Myth »

Tah Kazak Rik wrote:I have not posted on this forum in many many years. But the ET: Archaon spoilers have brought me here.

The Mods here can totally (and obviously) feel free to move the thread where they feel the thread to be more appropriate spot.

Anyway...here we go -

And because of this I know many are considering giving up the hobby. In fact I know many elf players have given up because of ET: Khaine.

We must not not let GW decide for us that the Warhammer world is destroyed! We should continue to play 8th edition with our family and friends and continue to be an active member of our forum communities!

As the Chaos Dwarf players continued their army without GW support, we must strive together as warhammer players and continue the hobby in spite of the terrible news.

I am not sure how many will listen to what I say here, as we are all individuals and can make our own choices, but I want to try and motivate all of us to not give up. We should not give up.

All of us have spent time, money, heart, soul, and mind on making our armies, writing our fluff, and painting them. Countless hours of our time spent having fun with family and friends. We should not give up simply because GW says the warhammer world is essentially destroyed.

I think together with Bugman's Brewery, Warhammer Empire, Warseer, and other Warhammer forums, we can continue the hobby. We can develop FAQs, new fluff, update armies, and so forth. We should not give up.

Perhaps this is all the ramblings of a foolish person trying to cling to the remains of a game system that is now essentially at an end. But perhaps it will motivate some.

Cheers and take heart!
John Rainbow wrote:I think the whole idea of this thread is both premature and negative. We haven't even seen the next edition yet. The sky might fall but then again it might not. Let's wait and see shall we?
I agree with both opinions, although I don't have to much of expectations and hope for good.

When ET: Khain was released I was totally pissed because I couldn't get the books and some other things and was decided to move away.
Later on, when I've heard the story line and the content of the ET I was happy I didn't throw money on that :) .

Currently I'm doing some PP Hordes stuff (Circle Orboros), but will return on my WH armies later on. Luckily I haven't sold my armies, as I initially planned...just to hook-off from that and not come back again, as I was previously...and currently :) . I still keep my HE, WE, EM and CD...will get Brets as well.

My opinion is that ET is a BS in all aspects, from story first to super-size models, not from aesthetics but to the size and concept.

I'm totally staying in pre-End_Times fluff, rules, game etc....
I'm not sure that 9th will be able to attract my attention, but ok, let give it a chance.

I believe the community is wide, mature, strong and will be able to maintain parallel WH world, apart from official if that turned to be bad.
I already have agreement with my game mates to stick with oldhammer and try to keep hobby and our beloved game alive.
Tah Kazak Rik

#7 Post by Tah Kazak Rik »

John Rainbow wrote:I think the whole idea of this thread is both premature and negative. We haven't even seen the next edition yet. The sky might fall but then again it might not. Let's wait and see shall we?
I understand. And it would be premature if I had not heard people directly say they were quitting / giving up the hobby. And because I have heard such talk I wanted to encourage such people to not give up and that even if 9th stinks that the hobby will continue on.

I am surprised that you find it negative. I have been told by several people on several forums that it is positive and indeed encouraging. But I guess it is a matter of perspective.

Know that I am sincerely trying to encourage people to continue forward in spite of what may seem like a bad ending.
Myth wrote: I believe the community is wide, mature, strong and will be able to maintain parallel WH world, apart from official if that turned to be bad.

I already have agreement with my game mates to stick with oldhammer and try to keep hobby and our beloved game alive.
Exactly! That is a good attitude!

And there is a chance that 9th may be promising, but we need people to be encouraged in case 9th ends up being a stinker.
RogueSun

#8 Post by RogueSun »

Tah Kazak Rik wrote:And it would be premature if I had not heard people directly say they were quitting / giving up the hobby. And because I have heard such talk I wanted to encourage such people to not give up and that even if 9th stinks that the hobby will continue on.
This is nothing new though. This happens with LITERALLY every new book GW puts out. People cry that the sky is falling, the new thing is so OP that it'll never be beaten, their army is now invalid, blah, blah, blah, etc. Here's what will happen: everyone will pout and whine at GW for the next 3-5 months, proclaiming that they'll never play 9th. Then 9th will drop, the majority of the players will try it out, 30% of them will continue to whine and pout, 10% of them will quit all together, and the other 60% will be hesitant but ultimately buy all the new things that GW puts out. Happens every single time. About 8-12 months after release, 20% of the 30% that were whining and pouting will realize it's quite difficult to play old editions because only a handful of people around them are willing to do so, and eventually will succumb to playing the new edition and will come to realize it really isn't the end of the world.
John Rainbow

#9 Post by John Rainbow »

Tah Kazak Rik wrote:
I understand. And it would be premature if I had not heard people directly say they were quitting / giving up the hobby. And because I have heard such talk I wanted to encourage such people to not give up and that even if 9th stinks that the hobby will continue on...
I understand your point of view here in wanting to keep people in the hobby and the community at large going. However, I would question why people are quitting the hobby based on rumours and perceived direction without anything concrete to go on. Reasons such as 'the hobby is too expensive', etc would fly with me as there is definitely truth in them but saying 'I'm quitting because of 9th ed.' is a poor excuse when we have no idea of what is actually going to happen.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#10 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

John Rainbow wrote:
Tah Kazak Rik wrote:
I understand. And it would be premature if I had not heard people directly say they were quitting / giving up the hobby. And because I have heard such talk I wanted to encourage such people to not give up and that even if 9th stinks that the hobby will continue on...
I understand your point of view here in wanting to keep people in the hobby and the community at large going. However, I would question why people are quitting the hobby based on rumours and perceived direction without anything concrete to go on. Reasons such as 'the hobby is too expensive', etc would fly with me as there is definitely truth in them but saying 'I'm quitting because of 9th ed.' is a poor excuse when we have no idea of what is actually going to happen.
The expensive part factors into all of it though. If it wasn't so expensive the uncertainty of a new edition wouldn't bother people nearly as much. As usual GW could have taken care of most of this by simply stating "your armies and models will be usable in the next edition."
Ramesesis

#11 Post by Ramesesis »

GW stating anything clear and informative? Never. Because GW knows us better than we do. We do not want that, no, we want the exitement of uncertainty cause everyone wanu suprises, right? So we should just behave as GW wants us to behave and be all exited and whatnot... We are supposed to be exited over being able to start collect from scratch. We are collectors, you know...
Teledor

#12 Post by Teledor »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
John Rainbow wrote:
Tah Kazak Rik wrote: I understand. And it would be premature if I had not heard people directly say they were quitting / giving up the hobby. And because I have heard such talk I wanted to encourage such people to not give up and that even if 9th stinks that the hobby will continue on...
The expensive part factors into all of it though. If it wasn't so expensive the uncertainty of a new edition wouldn't bother people nearly as much. As usual GW could have taken care of most of this by simply stating "your armies and models will be usable in the next edition."
I apologize for so many quotes within quotes, but everyone made some valid points here.

From what I have read about people ranting and rage quitting is less about expense going forward and much more about investment being lost. To me, while I'm not rage quitting, what has been extremely bothersome has been GW's lack of transparency in terms of rumors and potential changes. The implication that multiple factions will potentially be dropped from the Warhammer landscape, dropped meaning no longer receiving GW support (did we receive much to begin with?!!), is creating deep anxiety within those factions that may be getting the axe.

GW's lack of clarity and relative silence is disturbing on a couple of different levels.

1) We clearly know that creating the new rule set takes a lot of development time and I believe it is safe to say that any axing of factions has been planned for some time.

2) If they did know for some time but allowed sales of to be axed factions to continue as they were going to not be axed is just slightly underhanded. Obviously we're only really valued as hobbyists to be milked as frequently and completely as possible.

While my high elves will be generally fine, although I don't enjoy the ET: Khaine lists of combining all elves, the other faction I literally got into just before the End Times, Ogres, may not be and that's upsetting. I invested with one expectation and a different (but known and undisclosed) outcome may be occurring - having the rug pulled out from under me. That's just incredibly poor regard for customers.

It's the last sentence which is important to most of those who are quitting now and not waiting. They've seen GW axe a few factions previously and the threat of an axe falling on them is the final straw. Is it rational, probably not, look at Chaos Dwarves - still kicking strong despite loss of support from GW. But also look at Dogs of War and Kislev for the flip side of the coin.
Hero of Rome

#13 Post by Hero of Rome »

I'm with Tah on this one and despite my loathing of Elgi (Elves) we should all stick together and continue playing as I have 2 high elf friends, one of which only started a year ago and are still just as keen as me to keep playing.

No matter wheather we are dwarfs or Elves (Elgi) we should all stay together and keep fantasy alive

Right I (May) have to take the slayer oath soon but hey its still warhammer fantasy!
Mireadur

#14 Post by Mireadur »

Tah Kazak Rik wrote:I have not posted on this forum in many many years. But the ET: Archaon spoilers have brought me here.

Anyway...here we go -

Cheers and take heart!
Ive been at it for 6! (time flies) years now, each year getting futher and further away from GW dictates and frustrating imbalances. Even the models have been quite average to bad for the most part for over a lustrum now. Fortunately there are new companies producing similar stuff sprouting all around.

So my advide is.. Pay heed to this dorf!
Tah Kazak Rik

#15 Post by Tah Kazak Rik »

Thanks everyone for your comments on the thread so far.

I have been in the hobby for 14 years. And in that time GW has never done something this explosive in terms of changing the universe. But as many have said here in this thread, we will obviously have to wait and see how 9th turns out. And as been pointed out many people are being melodramatic about the whole thing and will likely stay with the hobby despite their claims of wanting to quit.

However as has also been pointed out, GW has suffered in terms of quality, both in fluff and models. So hopefully they turn it around in 9th, though the outlook in this regard is rather bleak.

As I said in the original post, whatever happens, the Warhammer community will endure, be it with 9th edition or fan edition 8 1/2.
HoS

#16 Post by HoS »

RogueSun wrote: This is nothing new though. This happens with LITERALLY every new book GW puts out. People cry that the sky is falling, the new thing is so OP that it'll never be beaten, their army is now invalid, blah, blah, blah, etc.

This IS new. We never cared that much before cause you could A) use models from 3rd Edition without any real changes B) they shot the face off of the fluff I like.
Boothy

#17 Post by Boothy »

The uncertainty certainly is very irritating. I am a really slow painter so I like to have a good long term plan of what I’m working on without painting up superfluous units. In this regard all the rumours of 9th are terrifying! (will it be an infantry game, cav game, monster game? Will my units still exist, or will we have some sort of techno-magic elves?)

I have found piece of mind by playing kings of war until 9th arrives and I can give it a proper look. I discovered that my elf army ports over for the mighty price of exactly $0 (my 2400 fantasy list becomes a 1500 point kings of war army literally unit for unit – I can even swap my dragon out for two units of drake riders).

I think that Fantasy has been getting steadily better and better since 5th (when I started, so can’t judge things before that), so I want to have high hopes for 9th. However the end times have rather shaken my confidence in this regard.

Worst case scenario for me is that all my Fantasy armies become kings of war armies for the price of a few movement trays and I just start playing a different mass battle fantasy game. Best case scenario, 9th is fantastic and I arrive having missed out on any more angst over the uncertainty.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#18 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Would that information be a clue what to expect?

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.co ... of-skulls/

Five factions at the event, full End Time rules to be used.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
HERO

#19 Post by HERO »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Would that information be a clue what to expect?

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.co ... of-skulls/

Five factions at the event, full End Time rules to be used.
Where do you see the 5 factions?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Makiwara
Chronicler

#20 Post by Makiwara »

In the player pack pdf, link is near the bottom of the page.
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#21 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Click the end times picture and a pdf will come up.

beat me to it...
Mentheus of Chrace

#22 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Any race can be any faction. I wouldn't read too much into it. "This is my Forces Of Undeath Lizardman army"
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Makiwara
Chronicler

#23 Post by Makiwara »

:lol:

I wanna see that Lizardman army! Not undead lizards, just like a skink or slann necromancer and a whole bunch of confused attendants wondering why they're fighting beside vampires and ghouls and such.

=D>
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

Lord Kroak FTW.

:)
Makiwara
Chronicler

#25 Post by Makiwara »

Na, not Kroak, some sneaky git whose pretending not to be all evil and skeletony and such.
Headshot wrote:
Duct tape counts!!