High Elves literature

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sajek

High Elves literature

#1 Post by Sajek »

Hey all so I have several different armies and I do have to say high elves are on if my favorites! Now I've been painting a bit here and a bit there doing ever so slight modifications... Now I really want to boost up the production so I can finally get this army fielded fully painted but I need some more motivation. So I thought why not a book. Now I know there are warhammer novels out there from GW just which ones are the good ones related to high elves? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
nick larking

Re: High Elves literature

#2 Post by nick larking »

The sundering bundle by gav Thorpe ( which contains the 3main books malekith, shadow king and caledor)
Tyrion and teclis (blood of aenarion, sword of caledor and bane of malekith) -are not in a bundle yet and bane of malekith is coming out this December

Those 2 series are must haves because they tell the most about HE backgound.
All black library books are at the very least decent though so once you have those its pretty safe to just buy all HE related books if you want.
"Today we mourn Sir Technical, horrifically dismembered in battle. He was unable to survive the fight, but his form was impeccable!"
Chracian

#3 Post by Chracian »

I enjoyed Defenders of Ulthuan and Sons of Ellyrian (Graham McNeil I think).
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Red Comet

#4 Post by Red Comet »

nick larking wrote:The sundering bundle by gav Thorpe ( which contains the 3main books malekith, shadow king and caledor)
Tyrion and teclis (blood of aenarion, sword of caledor and bane of malekith) -are not in a bundle yet and bane of malekith is coming out this December

Those 2 series are must haves because they tell the most about HE backgound.
All black library books are at the very least decent though so once you have those its pretty safe to just buy all HE related books if you want.
How is the Tyrion and Teclis series of books? I had heard the first book was alright, but not that great since William King is best at writing battles than characters.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#5 Post by Aicanor »

How is the Tyrion and Teclis series of books? I had heard the first book was alright, but not that great since William King is best at writing battles than characters.
By my (quite high) standards both of them are really bad, there is little action and character descriptions are very one dimensional and truly not doing justice to supposedly refined elven society. It has some amusement value at times, but unfortunately not often. Fluff wise it is best to be forgotten imo.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote:
By my (quite high) standards both of them are really bad, there is little action and character descriptions are very one dimensional and truly not doing justice to supposedly refined elven society. It has some amusement value at times, but unfortunately not often. Fluff wise it is best to be forgotten imo.
I had the same with Sons of Elyrion. A bit flat and not a lot happening. And what was happening wasn't very believable. The second book (defenders of ulthuan) was a bit better. That at least had a lot of action in it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#7 Post by Aicanor »

I know what you are talking about Rod. Sons of Ellyrion were still miles better than Blood of Aenarion.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

thanks for the warning in that case ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Red Comet

#9 Post by Red Comet »

That's awful to hear that William King didn't do a good job with Tyrion and Teclis considering how much I like those characters. =( Thanks for the warning!
Francis

#11 Post by Francis »

I liked the Tyrion and Teclis books myself, sure they aren't wonderfull but very little BL is. On another note, I hate the defenders books with a passion, utter rubbish in my mind which is sad since I normally like what McNeill writes. The Sundering triology is good though.
Malossar
Something Cool

#12 Post by Malossar »

The sundering is super hit and miss also. Gav Thorpe is a super frustrating writer to read at times (I seriously don't need to read a page and a half description about how awesome a dwarf doorway looks to Malekith).

Caledor is probably the best. I also appreciated parts of the Shadow King.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#13 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

The one thing the Black Library does for me is provide some good laughs reading about what other people think of the books.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#14 Post by Aicanor »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:The one thing the Black Library does for me is provide some good laughs reading about what other people think of the books.
Most have some entertainment value and that is all one can ask from copyrighted fanfiction. :mrgreen:
But truth to be told, they are as a whole not at all bad (it will win no Nobel awards, sure, but did anyone ever try to read Magic books? I did, once. #-o :lol: ).

On the side note, third part of Blood of Aenarion is out (Bane of Malekith)... and the e-book costs 16€. In these cases we ask: "Did they fall out of a sour cherry tree?" And look appropriately incredulous: :shock:

*Going to open Story Telling section and read excelent high elf stories for free instead.*
Stormie

#15 Post by Stormie »

Books by CL Werner and Guy Haley are usually quiet good, but Blood of Aenerion was pretty poor.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#16 Post by Prince of Spires »

Aicanor wrote: *Going to open Story Telling section and read excelent high elf stories for free instead.*
Perhaps we should point the GW overlords to Headshots tales. See if we can just get those published and added to the GW universe.

Rod

Check out my plog

Icarion

#17 Post by Icarion »

are there any opinions about the two "War of Vengeance" books? strange enough, that one series has two writers, but as Master of Dragons is about Imladrik, i thought about buying it... and getting only part 2 would be quite stupid.
i read a critic about part one, which is said to by mostly about dwarves. no prob for me, as i like them too, but i wanted to ask you guys, if you have any more information?
Caledor for life!
Diinekis

#18 Post by Diinekis »

The first book ( the great betrayal) has it's moments, but i found it sometimes to be a bit boring. The second book (master of dragons) that sheds more light to Imladrik, his brother Caledor the 2nd -phoenix king and Caradryel (the future phoenix king) is way more exciting because it illustrates perfectly the high elven society with its virtues, its intrigues and its flaws. Also there are some puzzling questions that are yet to be answered fully by the end of the 2nd book, that have to do about the higher and darker powers behind the war of beard, and i am not talking about Malekith, but no more spoilers! Great depiction of the Dark Elves' attitude. All in all buy them, be patient and quick about the first book and enjoy the second book!
Alexander the Great prior to the battle of Gaugamela when his great general Parmenion suggested to him that they should attack the persian camp by night catching the vast persian army unawares he refused and said "I will not steal a victory. The end and perfection of our victories is to avoid the vices and infirmities of those whom we subdue."
Icarion

#19 Post by Icarion »

thanks for your help, Diinekis. books arrived and after christmas i will (maybe) have the time to read them.
Caledor for life!