New to High Elves, help needed please!!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Rayvn70

New to High Elves, help needed please!!

#1 Post by Rayvn70 »

As the title says I'm new to High Elves, but not really new to WFB. I'm a long time Warriors of Chaos and an old Undead player, they'd be Vampire Counts now. That being said, I got sick and tired of a "No Shooting Phase" army and just marching forward hoping my army is still intact enough to engage the enemy, with WoC it's all good as they have a very high survilableity rate.

My local gaming club has no High Elf players and I really liked the models and fluff so decided to start an army of them, my colors will be light purple, silver, and white with gold highlights. The biggest thing I found whilst going over the army book is they seem very fragile, remember I'm used to 3+ 6++ saves and high toughness. I bought a second WFB game and salvaged the command from a unit LSG from the first box and bought a unit of spear elves and a unit of Dragon Princes and the prince/noble box, so I think I have a good start.

My list of units is as follows:
Prince on Griffon
x2 WFB Mages
Mounted BSB (Magnetized for item swaps)
Prince/Noble on foot (magnetized for item swaps)
2 units of 15 Sea Guard
10 Sword Masters
5 Reavers
5 Dragon Princes

I love how the Pheonix Guard models look and the White Lions as well, so my question is this. What units should I add to these guys, what items should I add to characters. As I've not had many options for a Lore of Magic, what works best or is more fun to use, fun is more important to me. I don't want to buy random units only to find out they don't work well. I love to use calvery but seems that the High Elves pale in comparison to the Warriors of Chaos but then again they cost twice as much

Any advice on tactics and units will be most helpful. Bear in mind I've read the tactics threads and while very informative isn't quite as focused on different units and how they are used to the most effect, I could be wrong as I haven't read them all.

Thanks in advance,
Rayvn
John Rainbow

Re: New to High Elves, help needed please!!

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I would be tempted to proxy with your old undead stuff (they still have spears, bows and the like, right?) as your chaos stuff will have larger bases. Try a few things out to see what you like.
Fflar Starbrow

#3 Post by Fflar Starbrow »

Have a look in the army list thread. There are some threads in there that are pure gold for getting information and insights to High Elf units. Some of the more popular threads are Seredain's Calvary Prince list http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=33584 and Curu's Vindicators http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=35318. These two threads are around 34 - 38 pages long, so if you haven't already, I suggest a look through both of them and see if you can use any of their ideas in your own list.
We will stand defiant and emerge triumphant. Ulthuan shall never fall!

[size=85]It just ain't cool if your chrome don't shine![/size]
Rayvn70

#4 Post by Rayvn70 »

I'm really liking the calvery prince list, after reading some others I have a question. What is a Mage Knight?
ceyl-isha

#5 Post by ceyl-isha »

And hay if you ever need any rare or classic minis, Ceyl is your elf.
Stand and face your fears
in the end thay may be
all that you have.
[img]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9642/deamonartxsp5.jpg[/img]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#6 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A Mage Knight is a High Elf Noble or Prince carrying the Radiant Gem of Hoeth. It makes him a lvl1 Wizard.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Caradryal

#7 Post by Caradryal »

Could I point you to Curu Olannon's thread on army styles. Have a look through here and see if you can find an army type that you like and we'll see if we can give you advice based on your initial list attempt? :D
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#8 Post by Curu Olannon »

Caradryal wrote:Could I point you to Curu Olannon's thread on army styles. Have a look through here and see if you can find an army type that you like and we'll see if we can give you advice based on your initial list attempt? :D

+1

Take a look through that thread, there are loads of ideas and playstyles there ;)

Welcome to Ulthuan!
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
high elf

#9 Post by high elf »

Not sure how effective small units of sea guard are. If I bring them (depends on who I'm playing) I bring 1 group of 30, starting 10x3 then blocking up when enemy gets close.

However its fun to experiment with different army lists so just try and see what works best for you.