Online Games

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

KarsaOrlong

Online Games

#1 Post by KarsaOrlong »

Hey Guys,

So I want to play newb for a bit. I keep reading these online battle reports from UniversalBattle.com (I assume) and I'd really like to learn how to do it myself. It would give me some entertainment while I work at home :lol:. Is it easy to set up? EVery time I try the guest option it looks like it looks like it would be difficult to get a game started.

Would it be best to find a veteran to teach me quick ways to set up my list and practice? How knowledgeable of the rules do you have to be to not frustrate your opponents? Do you have time to look up stats and stuff for rolls or does the game system have something built in to assist you?

Any help would be great cause I'd love to test my O&G and HE lists out while I paint them.

Thanks,
KO
[color=#40BF00][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36123]KO's Painting Blog[/url][/color]
~Milliardo~

Re: Online Games

#2 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

It's really, really not complicated in the slightest. I recently started playing on there sometimes and most of the players were pretty kind.

Start off playing a few low-point games, under 1.5k or so, and make sure your opponent knows you're new to the system before you start, and you should do fine. :3
KarsaOrlong

#3 Post by KarsaOrlong »

K cool thanks :D . I just didn't want to sign in an start irritating people while I was figuring it out. Wasn't sure how good of a community they had going.
[color=#40BF00][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36123]KO's Painting Blog[/url][/color]
Azezel

#4 Post by Azezel »

I've just signed up, am playing a game now (other guy's gone for a smoke break). Seems fairly simple and intuitive, though slow - I really couldn't recommend playing more than about 1.5k.

My user name is Azezel - say hi if you see me.
What are they? [i]Swordmasters![/i] What do they do? [i]Master swords![/i] How do they do it? [i]With their swordmastery![/i]

On the Isle of Wight? Want a friendly wargaming club? Drop me a line!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#5 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi!

I have played two games (2000 points) so far and I really like it. As long as you do not treat it as a substitute for playing with painted armies on a proper battlefield but as an extension and opportunity to play with somebody miles away it is great thing to do.
I didn't find it any slower than my usual games but then I am not the fastest player either.

The good thing to do is to try to play with somebody you know before you start looking for new opponents. Then you should not be under the pressure and can learn how to use it easily. It is actually very easy to use. The only thing being that in the basic mode you have limited options for "miniatures" so they might not look that nice as some created by other players.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Meniour

#6 Post by Meniour »

I started using UB about 2 weeks ago, have to recommend it highly - became a paying member more to support the site than out of necessity, as you can play fine without it.

As Swordmaster says, it's no substitute for the real thing, but it's a lot of fun! I hadn't played Warhammer regularly in... years... Now can get a pick up game now whenever I have time and inclination. Additionally, for those of us who don't play that often, there's no feeling like replicating the successes of the interwebz Big Boys in your own games, seeing that that Eagle Tactica really does work, or hey, I can use an Eagle Prince/ Silver Helm bus/ Archer Horde too!
Last edited by Meniour on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eirik

#7 Post by Eirik »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote: I have played two games (2000 points) so far and I really like it. As long as you do not treat it as a substitute for playing with painted armies on a proper battlefield but as an extension and opportunity to play with somebody miles away it is great thing to do.
I didn't find it any slower than my usual games but then I am not the fastest player either.

Cheers!
You know everything about UB was so convenient, finding matches, placing armies, moving units, generating terrain... it even played faster. I was worried my models were gonna go to waste, but it turns out that playing on a real battlefield (kitchen floor) with your own painted models is just so much more satisfying.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Malossar
Something Cool

#8 Post by Malossar »

I do enjoy universal battle but my complaint is usually the time and sometimes getting a match up.

I think i am one of the only if not only player on there from the West Coast. with the majority being from Europe, which i think is a 9 hour time difference. Its easier to get a game if i stay up until 4 or 5 in morning but i can't always do that. :'(

It takes longer for me too, i generally play a game of fantasy IRL in about 2 hours, usually an hour and a half. My fastest game on universal takes a little over 3 hours.

Plus movement is a little obnoxious, its easier to move em IRL and it can be a pain on the internet

but still its well worth paying for it, if only to support the site since the dude put a ton of effort into it.

Screen name is the same on here : thelordcal its the only one i use
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
AiEthimar

#9 Post by AiEthimar »

thelordcal, I am also on the West Coast of the US. I have just signed up for UB and would be interested in setting up a game sometime. I have a 2500pt GT in 10 days, and some practice wouldn't go astray regardless of points level. My username on UB is merkbc. PM me if you want to set up a time.

AE
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week- George S Patton
Eirik

#10 Post by Eirik »

thelordcal wrote: It takes longer for me too, i generally play a game of fantasy IRL in about 2 hours, usually an hour and a half. My fastest game on universal takes a little over 3 hours.

Plus movement is a little obnoxious, its easier to move em IRL and it can be a pain on the internet
I'm surprised at this, I generally experience faster games. You save time on setup because you can load up some pre-made terrain and you don't have to set up 100 little men into sliders. Are you using the correct wheel/pivot options for moving units? They help a lot. I admit that moving them IRL is easier, but I wouldn't say faster.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011