The Order of the Mage Knights

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ptolemy

Re: The Order of the Mage Knights - Taking over the meta-game!

#91 Post by Ptolemy »

Don't know if anyone else has tried this, but I'm having great success with a noble with RGoH on an eagle with charmed shield and DP kit.

Running great. He's not nearly powerful enough to warrant massive enemy expenditure in killing him yet is dangerous enough to always be in a position to kill something.

I give him death lore and roll for spells. Given the fact that I can make range a non-issue (eagle), depending on my opponent I'm likely to keep the spell I roll. If I don't like it, I can always default down to spirit leech.

Yesterday I rolled Doom and Darkness. I flank charged him, solo, into a unit of skaven slaves. Cast doom and darkness on it and wammo, even steadfast, they broke. My opponent's whole plan collapsed when i removed his tarpit with 1 model in 1 round of cc.

Mage Knights win again.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#92 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Brian Mage wrote: ....... A Mage Knight can go into battle on Foot, on a Chariot, on an Eagle (EEEEEEEEAGLLLLLLLee) etc etc. .......
I always run my Mage Knight on an Eagle, (EEEEEEEEAGLLLLLLLee).!!!

EEEEEEEEAGLLLLLLLee's are FUN, Esp when on the back of a sexy, bald, black doctor. :mrgreen: :wink:
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Ascarnill

#93 Post by Ascarnill »

I ran my mage-knight at the Island of blood megabattle and He did gloriously. He had guys, mostly WLs, drop left and right of him. After his depleted WLs over ran into a clan rat block, and he was the last man standing he held, until a lion chariot and and a 10 WLs charged in to help. After that he went on to kill a ratling gun team, drive of 6 poison wind globadiers, snipe a gray seer with spirit leach and take out the mastermoulder SC.
Brian Mage

#94 Post by Brian Mage »

AsurionWhitestar wrote:EEEEEEEEAGLLLLLLLee's are FUN, Esp when on the back of a sexy, bald, black doctor.
Finally, someone get's it!

=D>

(i thought i had hit geek nirvana)
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Telabir

#95 Post by Telabir »

Brian Mage wrote:
AsurionWhitestar wrote:EEEEEEEEAGLLLLLLLee's are FUN, Esp when on the back of a sexy, bald, black doctor.
Finally, someone get's it!

=D>

(i thought i had hit geek nirvana)
Perhaps we could make the world's most giant Mage Knight? :wink:
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
Brian Mage

#96 Post by Brian Mage »

Bit of thred-romancy here
Been talking about Mage Knights a lot on these boards recently so i thought i would bring this back up from page 3!
---------------------------

Ptolemy's Death/Shield build has been well recieved. I must admit, if i'm only running a MK noble then this is my default build now.
Got a tourny or two coming up soon and i will be running him as a surprise assasin - I find most people real don't expect him to be able to do what he does. They think he's a WM hunter. I would love to run a Lord MK plus AM but the tournys don't allow double lord levels.

So recently I've been using
Lv4 Silver wand AM Life
Lv2 Seerstaff heavens (iceshard and Comet)
Mage Knight Death - sig spell sniper

it creates so much for you opponent to think about that you are very likely to get a spell off that is going to hurt - people are more scared of a Comet then the sniper i find
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: The Order of the Mage Knights - Thredromancy

#97 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Wait there is a club? Since Csjarrat told me about the genius of the Gem'd noble I'm been working one into every list.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Brian Mage

#98 Post by Brian Mage »

Tiralya wrote:Wait there is a club?
Hell Yeah!!!

There are the obvious initiation tests tho.

So what is it to be? Flaming sword youtube video...? :lol:

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#99 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A flaming sword youtube video, ye gads that sounds awesome! Wait flaming sword you say, like on fire? =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
AiEthimar

#100 Post by AiEthimar »

Idon'tmakecookies wrote: Since he's in a unit and wouldn't necessarily need to be healed all the time (if he's getting wounded something has gone wrong already), would the Shield of Saphery spell be a better choice? It has a lower casting cost which will mean he will take up less casting dice from any other casters that way and can be cast on another unit of the situation warrants it.
This is what I plan on doing for my next MK game. It will be the first time I will use him, but I love the new mounted prince model, and mine is painted to a standard I enjoy lol. I will just take Shield with him, using my Lvl 4 with the regen spell to give my unit of 28 SMs, as they are entirely to squishy; hell might even give them +2 or +4 toughness also; so many options. I have found that Life is most useful when you have Dwellers, and everything else but awakening, because opponents get scared of being dwellered, and let the augments through; I have only used dwellers when I ran Teclis at 'Ard Boyz; the perceived threat in front hides the dagger in the back.

AE
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week- George S Patton
Vanir

#101 Post by Vanir »

May I join, oh wise and mighty Brian?
ليس هناك ما هو صحيح، كل شيء ممكن.
Brian Mage

#102 Post by Brian Mage »

Vanir wrote:May I join, oh wise and mighty Brian?
You most certainly can my Elven Kindred

Gildesh

#103 Post by Gildesh »

i suppose i should ask to join 2 as i run a mage knight although on foot
check my painting log http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33196&start=0
AiEthimar

#104 Post by AiEthimar »

I suppose I must also request permission to join your great brotherhood
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week- George S Patton
Rakai

#105 Post by Rakai »

What a shame, I missed the revival of the Mage Knight Guild?
Glad that everyone's doing well. I still even have the Banner in my signature.

My favourite mageknight in the new edition has been the popular Death sniper prince. It's like the spell was made for him.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Milliardo/Avatars%20and%20Sigs/MageKnightGuildLogoColouredh.jpg[/img]
Brian Mage

Re: The Order of the Mage Knights - Submit your builds

#106 Post by Brian Mage »

Member List Updated

I have also started to list some builds and their uses. I've not got much time to be online today, so i will be populating it a little more later on.

PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR FAVOURITE BUILDS IN THE INTERIM

Rakai, It is always good to see an Original Mage Knight around these boards!

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#107 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

My 2000 point list has a Noble//Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Luckstone, Barded Elvan Steed, Dragon Armour, Lance, he runs with my block of Silver Helms and uses the Beast lores signature spell to buff them before they charge. I've been considering making him the BSB as well.
Gildesh

#108 Post by Gildesh »

mine has the radient gem the 30 pt 5+ ward from the brb and aoc armed with a great weapon he is on foot and goes with either phoenix guard or spears taking the sig spell from beasts
check my painting log http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33196&start=0
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#109 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Pretty sure if you aren't running a sniper a beast mage knight is the way to go
Brian Mage

#110 Post by Brian Mage »

flamethrowers are nice - esp if its molten metal!

~Milliardo~

#111 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Brian Mage wrote:PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR FAVOURITE BUILDS IN THE INTERIM
These days, I hardly ever use a Mage Knight Prince, as I play at 2k. Instead, I run a Archmage with Robes and Talisman, and a lot of Chariots and RBT in my list. Life Lore is one of my default set-ups for a foot-BSB, as they can heal a pip of damage every turn to one of these things. I aim for just getting the default 5+ Regen, as the Archmage usually takes Life as well.

Noble
BSB
Radiant Gem (Life), Luckstone or Charmed Shield
HW, Shield, Dragon Armor

Not a very fighty or durable character, but if I put her with some Swordmasters or White Lions, she can usually survive for one brief combat quite reliably if her unit is engaged in a combo-charge with something else. She can also heal herself. The unit champion typically dies for her, so she's almost always just fighting Rank and File. A character built for support.

After reading Seredain's thread, I've dragged out my old Silver Helm models though and have started repainting them. Again, I play mostly at 2k when I get the chance, so no Prince, but I can usually afford the Silver Helms and a Barded Steed for the BSB above if I drop a Lion Chariot, an RBT, and my Shadow Warriors - painful losses all, though.

Noble
BSB
Radiant Gem (Life), Luckstone
GW, Dragon Armor, Barded Steed

Slight change in equipment there - with the added +2 AS from the horse, I feel more comfortable dropping the shield and going with a Great Weapon instead. Again, not very durable, but the Champions die for her, so she's usually just chopping Rank and File.

Lastly, I think I owe this to Csjarrat, (apologies if it was someone else!), but they mentioned in their army list thread about using the default spell Iceshard Blizzard, from Heavens, and I've really been considering it.

From a thematic sense, my BSB Mage Knight is a female, albino, blademaster with an icy personality, so it fits perfectly, but its also quite versatile from a gaming standpoint as well.

Easy to cast on a 7+, its several spells in one... its shooting defense with -1 to hit and 4+ or no firing for warmachines, which is really useful since I like my chariots and RBT so much, which tend to get obliterated in one shot when facing cannons. But its also an excellent spell to cast on a unit you're combo-charging - it suffers -1 to hit as well as its LD, so its both good for breaking enemy, as well defense for some of your troop-types.
If you're fighting RnF, WS 3 troops, all of our infantry suddenly go from being hit on a 4+ to being hit on a 5+, and this doesn't change for even our WS 4 troops until the enemy becomes WS 5. Finally, since you can boost the spell to 48" on a 10+, if you really need the extra help, you can put it on any unit on the board, and lastly, with its huge range and Roiling Skies rule, its good in a pinch for taking out units of light fliers like harpies, great eagles or Warhawk Riders.

Alternatively, though I plan for the default spell, if I roll Harmonic Convergence, I can stick her in my unit of 30 LSG. I can imagine them using the re-roll to shoot, then again during a stand and shoot reaction, and then again in close combat, and then their armor save as well. If she rolls comet, she suddenly becomes a CIA Black Ops Agent, lasing the target and calling in air support on enemy gun emplacements. I really overlooked this lore these past few months, as some of the other spells in Death or Life are more shiny and exciting to me at first glance, but the versatility of this spell really interests me.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#112 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Wow heavens does have potential, and I like the BSB too, fulfilling two roles, that means less points in the Lords and Heros and more in Specials, I need to get another BSB or two...
de kaasboer

#113 Post by de kaasboer »

i have used:

prince, eagle, vambraces, gem, stuff

noble, eagle, gem, charmed shield

both very fun to use, but a bit on the expensive side.

always took lore of death for those, worked very well (basic spell unless another good spell was rolled for the game)

now im thinking of taking out my combat prince of my helm bus (also with bsb) and making him either:
prince, gem, helm of fortune, jewel of the dusk, barded steed, gw etc
noble, gem, luckstsone, barded steed gw etc

still dubbing on the lore,

probably death or beasts. maybe heavens
wamphyri101

#114 Post by wamphyri101 »

My good old Death Knight is:

Noble
Charmed Shield
Talisman of Hoeth
Longbow
Dragon Armour
Great weapon

Sits back in my archers (Charmed shield for that cheeky cannonball) and supports the black of 14 archers (with full command and banner of eternal flame) Funnily enough they do very well in combat

Reason he has a bow is to allow for an extra chance or a "6" to wound regen big stuff so my bolt throwers can finish off.

Spells is Death sig spell and champion/weak character snipe (great vs no ward save mages)
Best thing he does is VS skaven at taking out a weapon team a turn
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Gildesh

#115 Post by Gildesh »

well my mage knight sucessfully killed an entire unit of seaguard and an elven lord todat, on the downside it was his unit of seaguard and himself, miscast followed by a 4 and then me being sucked into the void and a large s 10 template. ouch. on the plus side i still won the 3 way game against the vamp and deamon guys. 1000 points each last alive wins. eagle was star of the match killing a unit of 30 goblins in a single rear charge =)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#116 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

ye gads that must have hurt, how did you win after that, what was the rest of your list?
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#117 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

I just re-read the OP, and realised that I've aleady performed the necessary feats in order to join the order,
Yes Including the Flaming Sword.

Just after I finished several Asur Blades (at Tafe [Uni], for an Artistic "Weapons" Project), of axes and daggers (in perspex with handles of wood) and Swords, both short and long (in MDF Board), Myself and a friend proceeded to drench them in all things flammable and from aerosol cans, and then set them alight.
It looked AWESOME, and of course we did it at night, so the effect was even better.
After that we went back inside and played some games with Characters that all had Flaming Swords of Rhuin (as an inbuilt rule), tis was equally awesome. "Not really"... real Flaming Swords is soo much cooler... :mrgreen:

I also made an actual size tower shield with lots of runes and stuff. (well it's actualy only the size of a Silver Helms Shield... :( )

heres some pics of it:

20pts if you get the reference here.... :wink:
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#118 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Hhmm... I work in a steel shop, and while Des would kill me for making a weapon, I wonder if I could make a shield...
Gildesh

#119 Post by Gildesh »

Tiralya wrote:ye gads that must have hurt, how did you win after that, what was the rest of your list?
the rest of my list was a unit of 15 swordmasters an a unit of 5 naked dragon princes who between them cut down a unit of savage orcs a unit of black orcs with a character and a unit of ghouls (it was the deamon guy using o+g after i told him i was going to take an archmage with lore of light if he pulled the deamons out) the vamp player was mostly killed by the savage orcs but had whittled them down before my swordmasters removed the unit
Brian Mage

#120 Post by Brian Mage »

A special note should be applied to our latest member ~ KnightSanguine

A fair Noble walks amongst us