The Order of the Mage Knights

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Angel

Re: The Order of the Mage Knights - AKA The Shadow Fan-Boys

#61 Post by Angel »

I'm thinking about bringing out my mage-prince in a 2000 points game against Wood Elves sometime next week. I've never played a 2000+ points game without an archmage before so a change could be nice. My old mage knights were always nobles so I haven't had the chance of trying the Prince variety.
[quote="Brian Mage"]As usual Angel has it spot on!!! [/quote]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#62 Post by Ruerl Khan »

someday i'll take on my authentic outfit, dip a sword into gasoline and then set it on fire and swing it around for a moment, and tape it... Just to qualify for one of the points above. xD
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
Brian Mage

#63 Post by Brian Mage »

Ruerl Khan wrote:someday i'll take on my authentic outfit, dip a sword into gasoline and then set it on fire and swing it around for a moment, and tape it... Just to qualify for one of the points above. xD
I expect HD quality...
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Chracian

#64 Post by Chracian »

In preparation for the island of blood box set, I bring you Prince (insert random letters including "th", "as" etc but no "k", "u" or "z"):
Prince, radiant gem, temakadors gauntlets, sword of might, dragon armour, shield, griffon, beasts lore
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Telabir

#65 Post by Telabir »

Mage Knight Builds I've been thinking of.

Prince, Radient Gem of Hoeth, Vambraces of Defence, DP kit, either lance, halberd or great weapon (I prefer the great weapon).
Survivability: 5
Killyness: 3
Fluffyness: 2
Strengths: The best defence the Asur can provide, a legitimate mage knight, fast moving.
Weaknesses: Limited damage (but still pretty good), the game is moving away from cavalry.

Prince, Radient Gem of Hoeth, White Sword, Talisman of Loec, Heavy Armour.
Survivability: 2
Killyness: 4
Fluffyness: 5
Strengths: Very good at killing characters, even fluffyier with swordmasters, could use Eltharion the Blind (who is a mage knight) model for this build.
Weaknesses: He dies very easily especially with ToL, needs an archmage with life to really keep him going, luckily that's also quite fluffy.

Prince, Star Dragon, Radient Gem of Hoeth, Vambraces of Defence, Dragon Armour, shield, lance, halberd or great weapon.
Survivability: 4
Killyness: 5
Fluffyness: 3
Strengths: very good defence, very fast moving, big dragon.
Weaknesses: large points cost, Luna won't like him.

The last build I cannot take credit for, let’s see if anyone can recognise it:
Prince, Armour of Caledor, Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Talisman of Protection, Jewel of the Dusk, Great weapon.
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
Brian Mage

#66 Post by Brian Mage »

Telabir wrote:The last build I cannot take credit for, let’s see if anyone can recognise it:
Prince, Armour of Caledor, Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Talisman of Protection, Jewel of the Dusk, Great weapon.
I might be having a brain fart but i can't get this...

Some nice builds there - the White sword build is nice, if facing man sized armies, but i face a lot of monsters mash lists so i normally ignore KB stuff, but i do think it could work very well

The Talisman of Preservation is excellent for us now although it drops the Loec option.
I did like the Armour of Protection, but with it only allowing a max 3+ armour, the talisman gets boosted.

Chracian wrote:In preparation for the island of blood box set, I bring you Prince (insert random letters including "th", "as" etc but no "k", "u" or "z"):
Prince, radiant gem, temakadors gauntlets, sword of might, dragon armour, shield, griffon, beasts lore
This. This is so fluffy its perfect!!! ha!

One i'd like to try would be Death/Life, Shadow Armour, RGoH, Seerstaff, GW & Bow.
He is very VERY squishy, and can't be a regular attendee to your battles, but he could
DEATH
Pop up on the flank and purple sun the line while also being able to snipe characters easily with the Caress/Fate Spells
LIFE
He can get himself a 4+ ward pretty quickly or Dwellers Bellow the enemy from turn one
Last edited by Brian Mage on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Telabir

#67 Post by Telabir »

I'm the left handed one :D :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukh70_3h ... re=related
just another 149 years serving the Tower of Hoeth....

Calyrn

#68 Post by Calyrn »

Nice =D> those burned for a long time :shock: (side not Flogging Molly, one of my favorite bands)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33142]My Elves[/url]
The confusion between opinion and fact fascinates me.
Flame of the Asuryan

#69 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

@Telabir: Second mageknight is illegal, as RGoH and ToL are both enchanted items.
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Telabir

#70 Post by Telabir »

that was well pointed out. I miss stuff very often :lol:
would a rule saying lords are allowed two of every category and heroes still just one be too overpowered?

Anyway,would you say Malekith is a rather evil mage knight or a rather evil mage who is also a fighter?

geoguswrek

#71 Post by geoguswrek »

If the dragon is there he's a mage knight.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Telabir

#72 Post by Telabir »

The circlet of iron must be some super awesome radient gem of Hoeth made by the old ones. I imagine on his cold on or chariot he's an evil Mage knight too.

Angel

#73 Post by Angel »

A fun build for a mage-prince is to take one with lore of life and choose the basic spell. Then cast it on your dragon princes for regeneration that can't be removed since they are immune to flaming attacks.

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33158]Illyria and the Silver Legion - the story of my High Elves[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31409]Visit my High Elves log[/url]
Telabir

#74 Post by Telabir »

Very nice idea, reminds me of sorta phoenix guard cavalry :) do your opponents give you trouble by not letting it through or are they focused on preventing the uber spells?
Has anyone else noticed mage knights becoming very popular builds for a prince (dare I say optimal?) these days?

Baerion

#75 Post by Baerion »

Ya the ability to throw more than two dice at a spell has made the lvl 1 Radiant Gem a playable item for me anyway. Before throwing 2 dice at a spell was hardly a guarantee to get it off and most often it seemed a waste of points.

I like the build now and love that LD 10 with spirit leech. I find it gets dispelled a lot, but my other mages spells are getting through.
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
Telabir

#76 Post by Telabir »

Yeah before you needed seerstaff or lore of beasts to really justify the points, now we have at least two choices for spells and the quite awesome (in my opinion) new magic system.

Brian Mage

Re: The Order of the Mage Knights - Taking over the meta-game!

#77 Post by Brian Mage »

8th Ed can almost be consider the age of the Mage Knight.

The basic spells are very good in most Lores and give excellent variation on your magic phase, either hex, augment or flame to face!
I do think the build needs decent support casting, but its almost like giving HE's a vampire model now. (apart fro S&T 5!!! which would be nice)

I do love how my gaming group now refer to my Tyrion (lord level general @ 2-3k)conversion as a "Mage Knight"! i think with a bit more effort we will start to see this term appearing on a few other forums! what joy!

In recent games i've had bad rolls with my Mage Knight tho. I've been sucked into chaos adn destroyed entire units of knights, or worse still (IMHO) rolled the "Head ache" miscast which makes you loose one level of magic... hes just a MmmmKnight then...! :lol:

As far as power builds go, death and shadow are my faves, with death being the strongest, however if you're happy to drop a 4+ ward save (which i'm not) you can get the seerstaff and Dwellers Bellow the hell out of the opponent!!!

p.s. don't listen to people claiming they "invented" the best MK builds, just read the first page on here and see who came up with death for an example! ha! (f.y.i. not me!) :D

Telabir

#78 Post by Telabir »

Do you find them more useful mounted or on foot?
The great thing about warhammer is that no one knows who invented buildsas the best ones are the most used.

~Milliardo~

#79 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

~Milliardo~ - He Who Wishes Not to be Named
lol... I just noticed that. Good one. :3
Brian Mage

#80 Post by Brian Mage »

~Milliardo~ wrote: ~Milliardo~ - He Who Wishes Not to be Named

lol... I just noticed that. Good one. :3
Ha!

Telabir wrote:Do you find them more useful mounted or on foot?
most people seem to be dismissing mounts this edition for there difficulty in breaking ranks, but TBH i still love my Mounted-Mini-Death-Star
5 DP's FC (banner of +1M)
Mounted BSB various items of "you can't shoot us too well" & "I have a ward!"
Mage Knight Lord - Death -A Sword of "being better" & "ward save"

The damage output is serious and most things i fight are St4/5 so armour saves not too compromised, however as with all death stars they are very vulnerable to big spells.

This is not to say being on foot doesn't work, i just like the extra charge of a horse with swift stride.

A Mage KNight on Foot in some SM's is very fluffy and something I do want to try, but i love the model i use...

Baerion

#81 Post by Baerion »

Spirit Leech on the Radiant Gem Prince - What do you guys target in armies with it?

I have only used it against lizardmen so far and he has only been running a slann as his only character. I have been trying to use it on Salamanders with low leadership but haven't been able to kill them with it due to the 4 handlers soaking up a few of the wounds and my opponent rolling 6's on his D6 to add to leadership.

So what targets in other armies do you guys use Spirit Leech for?
Midnight Legion Painting Blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30693
Jedra

#82 Post by Jedra »

A cool one for the griffon-mage-knight is life. The 5+ regen on griffon and rider, combined with dragon armour passing to the griffon (I believe this is true?) and gaining +1 wound/turn from it makes the griffon more survivable (a big problem for them, imho).

As to death... My favourite hit with it so far has been a skaven doomwheel (ld 6 I believe), and other chariots are equally good targets. With Rank and file level leadership, multiple wounds and reasonable toughness, combined with the extreme annoyance of impact hits etc. against my flanking units of Swordsmasters, chariots are the ideal target for it if you can't hit a character.
Kethnae

#83 Post by Kethnae »

Jedra wrote:As to death... My favourite hit with it so far has been a skaven doomwheel (ld 6 I believe), and other chariots are equally good targets.
7, still a very nice target to get rid of without the whole T6, 4+ Armor issue.
Telabir

#84 Post by Telabir »

Anyone seen the Prince Althran on foot model? I'm so converting that into a mage knight :D, thinking of sword of might and enchanted shield.
I've also learned mage knight + lore of life + seerstaff + swordmasters = win :)

Ptolemy

#85 Post by Ptolemy »

My new trick...

Spirit leech a unit champion with a character in it. Kill the champ.

Follow up next turn with a charge from my Eagle riding Star Lance noble with potion of recklessness....good bye enemy character
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Baerion

#86 Post by Baerion »

I've been taking out unit champs with my Mage Knight as well. Mine is on a moon dragon and it got really upsetting when I would charge a unit, get challenged by a unit champ and get 1-2 overkill and then lose combat by 2-3 due to ranks and standard. Now I pop the champs who most people don't worry about spending dispel dice to save and then I crash into them with the dragon, chomp a ton down, then stomp all over a few more and by the end of it they are almost not even steadfast =).
Idon'tmakecookies

#87 Post by Idon'tmakecookies »

I've been trying to think of the best use of a Prince model and really enjoy the idea of a 'Mage-Knight' Prince. The build I've settled on is something like:

Prince with The Gem, Helm of Fortune, Dragon Armor, a Barded Steed, the Jewel of Dusk, and a Great weapon. He would go into a unit of Dragon Princes. I liked the idea of using the Lore of Life to get him and his small expensive unit 5+ regen saves. The heals from casting the spell are nearly as valuable as the additional save. Since he's in a unit and wouldn't necessarily need to be healed all the time (if he's getting wounded something has gone wrong already), would the Shield of Saphery spell be a better choice? It has a lower casting cost which will mean he will take up less casting dice from any other casters that way and can be cast on another unit of the situation warrants it.
Bolt Thrower

#88 Post by Bolt Thrower »

My next setup is Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Gem of Hoeth, Great Weapon taking High Magic. I think the low casting cost is going to be more desirable and though I will most likely always take Shield of Saphery I find all the spells useful. Plus getting Drain Magic to boot is fun as well.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Angel

#89 Post by Angel »

What do you think is a good build for a mage-prince on foot if neither the armour of caledor or the guardian phoenix (those are on the BSB) are available?

Bolt Thrower

#90 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Angel wrote:What do you think is a good build for a mage-prince on foot if neither the armour of caledor or the guardian phoenix (those are on the BSB) are available?
First things that come to mind...

1. GW, Silversteel Armour, Gem, Talisman of Protection. 2+ AS, 6+ WS.
2. Dragon Armour, Shield, Helm of Fortune, Sword of Might, Gem, Talisman of Protection. 3+ Rerollable AS, 6+ WS.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves