The Order of the Mage Knights

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tengal Krakenbane

Re: The Order of the Mage Knights - Submit your builds

#121 Post by Tengal Krakenbane »

I'm torn between a Mage and a Mage Knight for my 750 points force, any pointers on such a low points game? Also, Charioteer Mage Knight, anyone?
~
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#122 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

187 points could get you a Mage Knight, but it really should depend more on the rest of your list, a MK would certainly be more fighty than a mage and at 750 point you want as many elves as you can get in the battle.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Tengal Krakenbane

#123 Post by Tengal Krakenbane »

Well, I'm running a defensive build with a RBT, a small block of LSG and SM for some punch (that's for 500pts, add a more expensive Hero and 10 Archers and I will have 750pts.), and I feel like I need the Shield of Saphery, so either a Mage or Mage Knight then.
~
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#124 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Tengal Krakenbane wrote:Well, I'm running a defensive build with a RBT, a small block of LSG and SM for some punch (that's for 500pts, add a more expensive Hero and 10 Archers and I will have 750pts.), and I feel like I need the Shield of Saphery, so either a Mage or Mage Knight then.
How 'bout a simple noble with GW, HA, Radiant Gem & Charmed Shield. For only 147pts.
But even with 10 naked Archers for 110 pts it's still over, so you could drop the GW. But who fights without a GW in an Asur list???
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
akielzather

#125 Post by akielzather »

Have been successfully running a Mage Knight.

I introduce you to Calidiane - Captian of the Silver Helms of Saphery. Death Knight of Hoeth.

A noble of Saphery with a love of horse. Whilst he tinkered with the arts when i child he was to dreamy to study properly. Always dreaming of leading the armies of Ulthuan against the Drachi or the Hordes in the north. When his Master decided that he needed to focus he put him under the instruction of the Sword Masters. For over a Decade he learned how to Wield the Great Swords, but alas still he yearned for another path.
So when the call came for riders to man the northern boarders Calidane took services and being of noble blood joined the ranks of the Silverhelms.

After several decades he had risen through the ranks and lead his own Unit of 9 knights. When his father heard ofhis promotion he gifted him the a Death Gem of Hoeth. Similar to the radient gem but keyed to death magic. Calidiane has mastered this gem and whislt still learning the lore he has used the most learned spell so often it is now second nature to take this into battle.

Calidane - Noble - barded Mount, HA, GW, Luckstone, Death Gem of Hoeth. 163pts.
8th 2012 Tournie P12 W8 D0 L4
8th 2013 Tournie 7th Ed book P17 W9 D2 L6
Totals P29 W17 D2 L10

Characters.
Calidiane - Captian of the Silver Helms of Saphery. Death Knight of Hoeth.
Maulinerine - Archmage of Life.
Kavineer - Battle-standard Bearer
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#126 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Very nice, that's the build I use but I use the Radiant Gem of Wyssan =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Brian Mage

#127 Post by Brian Mage »

I like it
Fluff, tactics and build - Excellent work
akielzather wrote:I introduce you to Calidiane - Captian of the Silver Helms of Saphery. Death Knight of Hoeth.

A noble of Saphery with a love of horse. Whilst he tinkered with the arts when i child he was to dreamy to study properly. Always dreaming of leading the armies of Ulthuan against the Drachi or the Hordes in the north. When his Master decided that he needed to focus he put him under the instruction of the Sword Masters. For over a Decade he learned how to Wield the Great Swords, but alas still he yearned for another path.
So when the call came for riders to man the northern boarders Calidane took services and being of noble blood joined the ranks of the Silverhelms.

After several decades he had risen through the ranks and lead his own Unit of 9 knights. When his father heard ofhis promotion he gifted him the a Death Gem of Hoeth. Similar to the radient gem but keyed to death magic. Calidiane has mastered this gem and whislt still learning the lore he has used the most learned spell so often it is now second nature to take this into battle.

Calidane - Noble - barded Mount, HA, GW, Luckstone, Death Gem of Hoeth. 163pts.
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#128 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea fluff makes everything better, it's like sauce on a pie.
Noble

#129 Post by Noble »

Only had one game with him so far,

Prince, Dragon armour, Shield, Barded elven steed, Radiant gem of hoeth, Sword of anti heroes, Dawnstone. Lore of death

Deployed him in a unit of 5 dragon princes. I played against woc and they killed a giant in combat and then with only the prince left he went on to cast spirit leech against the hell cannon and killed it.
Was a lot of fun and can see myself never leaving home without one again!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#130 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A Mage Knight Prince is great, especially with Death. The extra Leadership helps with Spirit Leech a lot.
akielzather

#131 Post by akielzather »

Prince, Dragon armour, Shield, Barded elven steed, Radiant gem of hoeth, Sword of anti heroes, Dawnstone. Lore of death

very dumb question on the equipement - why not helm of fortune. Still get the re-roll but increase from 2 up to 1 up for the same cost
8th 2012 Tournie P12 W8 D0 L4
8th 2013 Tournie 7th Ed book P17 W9 D2 L6
Totals P29 W17 D2 L10

Characters.
Calidiane - Captian of the Silver Helms of Saphery. Death Knight of Hoeth.
Maulinerine - Archmage of Life.
Kavineer - Battle-standard Bearer
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#132 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

If you aren't using magic armour I don't see why you wouldn't run the Helm...
RogueSun

#133 Post by RogueSun »

I have two builds I tend to favor:

Prince
- Great Weapon
- Heavy Armor
- Shield
- Barded Steed
- Radiant Gem of Hoeth
- Jewel of Dusk
- Dawn Stone
- Dragon Helm

You could save 10 points and use the Helm of Fortune instead, however I usually save that for my mounted BSB so that they both have rerollable 1+ armor at range. I like the Jewel of Dusk on him because it makes my magic phase much more potent, and helps ensure I'll have enough power dice to actually get spells off. Additionally I don't want to waste an arcane slot on a mage for it so this works out well. Usually I'll go with life for this build and put him in a large squad of Dragon Princes. I'll roll for the spell hoping to get flesh to stone, but regen is just as good if not. 5+ regeneration on a hammer of dragon princes makes them very hard to get rid of, and if you come at them with flaming attacks I get a 2+ ward save. :D

Prince
- Great Weapon
- Dragon Armor
- Shield
- Barded Steed
- Radiant Gem of Hoeth
- Seerstaff of Saphery
- Helm of Fortune

This is usually the build I favor if I'm not taking a second foot mage. Seerstaff is expensive, sure, but the ability to choose whatever spell I want is very useful. Savage Beast of Horros is good one as it is cheap enough to cast and makes him really dangerous. Soulblight is another useful one mainly because it has a huge area of effect which this prince can make great use of since he's so mobile. Harmonic Convergence is another good spell to use for cavalry, increasing their survivability as well as hitting power. The list goes on...
Csjarrat

#134 Post by Csjarrat »

The one i use most is as below:

Noble
Bsb
Barded steed
Heavy armour
Shield
Lance
Radiant gem (heavens)
Luckstone

Works really well, puts out s6 attacks on charge, 2+ save with a rr and can cast too.
I take heavens because iceshard is a brilliant allround spell. It can shut down cannons, reduce incoming shooting as well as cc hits, and reduces LD so its easier to break the enemy on the charge. He acts as my support mage for the lvl4 and provides lvl2 dispelling as well as giving +1 combat res and usual bsb duties
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Noble

#135 Post by Noble »

akielzather wrote:

very dumb question on the equipement - why not helm of fortune. Still get the re-roll but increase from 2 up to 1 up for the same cost
Not a dumb question at all. Answer is i just didn't realize. Must have missed it when ive been reading through my book. Consider it changed! Thanks for pointing it out mate.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#136 Post by Elithmar »

Due to the fact that I'm currently using an all infantry, no magic, and no shooting list (heresy, I know) I don't really use Mage Knights. I strongly like the idea though.

Prince
Radient Gem
Vambraces of Defence
Chariot
Heavy Armour
Great Weapon

Taking fire, this gentlemen can use fire ball to inflict a couple of wounds on an enemy unit before charging in and crushing the unit to death. Obviously, no one is going to want to face him, with all of those impact hits and strength 6 attacks. Therefore, with heavy armour and the vambraces of defence, he's going to be rather hard to kill. He also gets a save from the chariot. Still, get him into combat quickly.

Can I be a Mage Knight now, please? :D
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Brian Mage

#137 Post by Brian Mage »

I'd be tempted with Aoc and Dawnstone or Guardian Phoenix on the chariot build, but i do love a flamethrower mage knight!

List updated
If i've missed anyone let me know
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
PadForce

#138 Post by PadForce »

Hi all, wanted to ask for critique on my build:

Lord
Barded steed
Helm of fortune
RGoH - death
Sword of might
Shield
Dragon armour
Jewel of dusk
286 pts

1+ rerollable save, s5 at all times. He is going to run in a 5 man dp unit, prob with a champion with iron curse icon. Other lord will be a life archmage.

Should I go more Killy with GW at s6 and 2+ 2+ save or stick with better combat surivability of 1+ rerollable?

Ta
Brian Mage

#139 Post by Brian Mage »

Both builds are viable really
If the unit is primarily going to be a flanking force then st 5 is acceptable. But if they're leading a glorious charge you'll need the extra punch.

Id be tempted to run Heavens on this dude, or beasts. Death requires to be out of combat for longer while being more manoeuvrable to pick the targets.

PadForce

#140 Post by PadForce »

Hmm now that you mention it I see your point about the death Manuverability issue.. Thing is for a prince Mage costing near to 300 points I wanted to add something my army cannot do, ie sniping war machines, monsters etc.. Switching to beasts or heavens would make him a character that can make other units tougher but that functionality would come from having another 300 point special block...
Telabir

#141 Post by Telabir »

I'd go with the more killy build. He should be able to shrug off most attacks and what he can't you can heal with the life archmage.
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
Brian Mage

#142 Post by Brian Mage »

If you wnat death and mobility stick him on an.eagle. Its my build of choice

Eldria

#143 Post by Eldria »

My mage knight has been:

Prince
Barded Steed
Dragon Armour
Great Weapon
Radiant Gem of Hoeth
Vambraces of Defense

I call him not quite Eltharion, but he does an okay impression. Mostly run him death for LD10 sniping.

MIND BULLETS! *cough*
Eirik

#144 Post by Eirik »

I hope that our next book gives all our mages 2 attacks, WS 6, greatweapons. Seriously, where do all those extra points that our mages cost go? And don't tell me it's ASF! They come from the same damn province as the swordmasters, and when you're 300 yrs old, "I spent all my time studying magic" is not a good excuse. You telling me that the book of hoeth doesn't have a few sword tricks in it?
Also, for each spell they successfully cast/dispel during the magic phase, they get +1 attack during the following combat phase.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#145 Post by Elithmar »

eriktheguy wrote:I hope that our next book gives all our mages 2 attacks, WS 6, greatweapons. Seriously, where do all those extra points that our mages cost go? And don't tell me it's ASF! They come from the same damn province as the swordmasters, and when you're 300 yrs old, "I spent all my time studying magic" is not a good excuse. You telling me that the book of hoeth doesn't have a few sword tricks in it?
Also, for each spell they successfully cast/dispel during the magic phase, they get +1 attack during the following combat phase.
Hahaha. Perhaps there could be a special Swordmaster - warrior - mage. Much like the dragon mages. They could have gw, etc. and a choice for armour (prob. light). I'm 99% sure that we won't get this though, so that's why we have the RGoH (please, please, please don't take that away Games Workshop. I would give up the hobby; I shall never use the wizarding hat!).
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Eirik

#146 Post by Eirik »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote: ... wizarding hat! ...
I thought the penalty for saying that on this forum was permanent ban?
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#147 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Hahaha. Perhaps there could be a special Swordmaster - warrior - mage. Much like the dragon mages. They could have gw, etc. and a choice for armour (prob. light). I'm 99% sure that we won't get this though, so that's why we have the RGoH (please, please, please don't take that away Games Workshop. I would give up the hobby; I shall never use the wizarding hat!).
Ah... Eltharion?
~Milliardo~

#148 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Tiralya wrote:Ah... Eltharion?
That's one of the reasons I wish certain Special Characters were allowed in Tournaments... ban Teclis, ban Thorek, etc, but there's nothing wrong with characters at the level of Korhil or Eltharion. If the RGoH goes, then I would hope I would at least be able to use him instead.
Malossar
Something Cool

#149 Post by Malossar »

Prince - 292pts (Beasts, Signature)
-Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Barbed Steed
-Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Guardian Phoenix, The Tricksters Pendant

I can't begin to express how many times my opponent dreads having to roll on the miscast table twice. It has resulted in a more harmless roll turning into a roll where the caster gets sucked into the realm of chaos! Might not be worth 30pts, but i want to give it more than a one game test. Since i have a life mage, i'm not as worried about having less protection on my prince. I find that Wyssan's Wildform is a great augment on for my charging dragon princes or even my phoenix guard to make them a little deadlier.

Cal

edit: SPELLING IS HARDZ
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#150 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I like Wyssan's on my Silver Helm unit with my Mage Knight, I like that it's -1 to cast on them because they are cav, pretty handy.