The End Times. How would you do it?

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The End Times. How would you do it?

#31 Post by Luna Guardian »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: At best they are half thought out attempts to justify decisions already made.
Isn't that what I said? :? :wink:
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#32 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Probably. I just really can't manage to call them "In universe reasons". That whole thing was just a rushed effort that they seemed to make up as they went along. And it seems they wrote everything at the same time and the authors didn't even talk to each other.
RE.Lee

#33 Post by RE.Lee »

A lot of the plot lines were rushed and not really tied up, but Malekith becoming the Phoenix King was a good choice in my opinion, his rise was mirrored by Tyrion's fall (until they screwed that up and brought his back to life). It also added soma drama to the civil war - if Caledor Dragontamer ended up the big guy everybody would be "uh, ok I guess?" while Malekith and his Mom sulked in the corner (as they often do). It was perhaps not subtle enough, but this is GW we're talking about. The ET:Khaine story was rather good - though the book is not that useful as a campaign resource due to only really having Elf factions.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#34 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: And it seems they wrote everything at the same time and the authors didn't even talk to each other.
The writers actually admitted to this. They pointed to it as the reason why, for instance, nothing happened with the Setra cliffhanger in End Times Nagash (which actually was pretty nice if something had been done with it). Or all the other open ends and contradictions in the books.

I think the main fluff reason why you would pick Malekith over any other elf is that he alone is the son of an elf who was the avatar of 2 different elf gods, both Asuryan and Khaine. And as such should have the strongest heritage. Which is perhaps what you need in the end times.

Of course, it must be noted that he did kill a genuine phoenix king in Bel Shanaar (who walked through the flames before him) and that in general Asuryan and Khaine hate each other as well, so it makes you doubt the sanity of the choice from Asuryan. I think for me the problem isn't so much him becoming the phoenix king, but the whole reasoning behind it. Somehow the plot "everything you've been told about the history of your race is false" doesn't really sit well with me. Roughly the same plot with different reasons would have been a lot better to accept.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#35 Post by elendor_f »

Prince of Spires wrote: I think for me the problem isn't so much him becoming the phoenix king, but the whole reasoning behind it. Somehow the plot "everything you've been told about the history of your race is false" doesn't really sit well with me. Roughly the same plot with different reasons would have been a lot better to accept.
I can't say how much this represents my feelings towards the topic =D>
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#36 Post by Luna Guardian »

Prince of Spires wrote:I think for me the problem isn't so much him becoming the phoenix king, but the whole reasoning behind it. Somehow the plot "everything you've been told about the history of your race is false" doesn't really sit well with me. Roughly the same plot with different reasons would have been a lot better to accept.
Agreed, but there's not a lot of ways that the plot could have been legitimate. The High Elves would never accept him as a legitimate ruler, that'd be like Hitler being elected the divine monarch of Israel. Not only that, but the Dark Elves wouldn't accept the High Elves as equals in a new glorious and harmonious elven society. Malekith would literally have to exterminate the elves on Ulthuan on order to get the Phoenix Throne in any logical story
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#37 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

For a race known for it's petty politicking and infighting (since 6th edition anyway), as well as carrying on a war of revenge for centuries there sure were an awful lot of them willing to let bygones be bygones with little hesitation.