Elvish propaganda and the power of the East

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince

Elvish propaganda and the power of the East

#1 Post by Prince »

Anyone here plays "the Battle of Five Armies"? Well you should: great game, it really is!
During the long lasting procces of the game, that most of us are familiar with via the 8th rule book, my farther and I started a very interesting discussion about Orks.
Who are they? What do we know about them? And mainly; where does the information come from? Yes, of course we could argue that all this is fantazy; however, what if it's not. We all know that many Elvish books and sources have been found prooving the existence of creatures, not similar to any other. Orks are disgusting creatures, selfish, bloodthirsty, disordered, obey their masters only because they are more powerful. They apparently have no understanding in culture and other enlightening stuff.
Here ladies and gentlemen I offer you a unique chance to travel back in time. To the time of middle school history lessons. We shall now analyse the sources. Are they one sided? - "yes" Are there any other sources found to prove the information given to us in the sourses? -" no" Therefore do we think the sources are trustworthy? -"no"
The conclusion should follow, like in any history answer. But this you journey in time, let me spoil it, not.
But like any other good teacher, I will give you something to expand on. Orks have gathered all nations in the east region of the planet. They were strong and able warriors. They had some technology that people and elves couldn't dream of. They were feared and thus through fear comes respect. Who told us that they were greedy? Elvish propaganda did. And Elvish propaganga does play a huge part in all of this.
Please bare with my spelling and comment your conclusions and other thoughts bellow.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Elvish propaganda and the power of the East

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

It probably depends on which orks you're interested in. Going from your comment about the battle of five armies (which does indeed look like a great game, I really should get around to playing it...), it could be Tolkien orks. In which case they actually are elves which have been caught by Morgoth and perverted and corrupted until they became orks. It's described / hinted at in the Silmarillion.

If you're more interested in GW orks, then they have a 'primary' source of information in the form of the Orks and goblins armybook. I'm not completely sure where GW orks come from. But I'm sure someone else here will.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#3 Post by Aicanor »

We shall now analyse the sources. Are they one sided? - "yes" Are there any other sources found to prove the information given to us in the sourses? -" no" Therefore do we think the sources are trustworthy? -"no"
There is actually no way your third conclusion can be verified if the second one were true. It might, or is might not.
Funnily enough, there was a real life newspaper article along the lines of your discussion. In the eastern block, Tolkien's work was on the black list and there were only illegal translations (samizdat). According to that article about this example of imperialist propaganda, the Orcs are reviled members of the proletariat, seen through the eyes of the western imperialist oppressors. The story was told from unforgivably bourgeois and feudal (and anti-industrial) point of view. Orcs should be true heroes of the story. Of course, Mordor being situated to the East didn't help matters. So there was a real life power that was worried about the book bring seen as an (unflattering) analogy to a certain political order.

Conclusion: So yes, it is all Elvish propaganda. I like elvish propaganda.
Prince

#4 Post by Prince »

Conclusion: So yes, it is all Elvish propaganda. I like elvish propaganda.
Pour little orcks. They get so much abuse nowadays.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#5 Post by Aicanor »

Yes, poor little hardworking, oppressed Orcs and Goblins. Just note by whom they are actually oppressed. :lol:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Other orcses and goblins?
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.