The Awakening

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Malochai

The Awakening

#1 Post by Malochai »

[align=center]The Awakening[/align]

Deep in the heart of Caledor’s Dragon Spine Mountains, in a cavern lit only by single thin shaft of light, a creatue asleep for three centuries stirred - a long, shuddering breath ran along it’s sinuous, scaly body, before deepening into steady breaths again, long and slow. Each outwards breath started to produce a deep hrrrrrrming sound as the air was expelled from bellow-like lungs. The plumes of crystallised water sent into the frigid air slowly became a stream of thin black smoke which thickened and hung in the air like a dark storm. Membranous wings, aching with the tension of being curled tight to the scaled trunk of its body, extended slowly, the brony pinions scraping gently along the ground, each of the sharp enough to pierce armour, and then were ruffled gently. Jaws lined with sword-like teeth opened wide in a bizarre parody of a elven yawn, and the fangs glinted in the weak light. A dark pink-purple tongue, forked like a serpents, flickered out and tasted the smoky air. There was a strange taste lingering, like the memory of a memory, and it was growing stronger, as if were approaching. Even in the coma-like state of the creature, the long, scaled body - curled about in a lazy semi-circle - was wracked by another shiver passing up it, accompanied by the lengthy tail sweeping almost agitatedly across the dust-coated floor.

‘You know my voice.’ The lyrical voice broke into the dream-slumber and a growl forced its way up the drake’s throat and through its mouth. The sound resounded around the large cavern, echoing loudly. The voice was familiar and yet strange, something ancient and yet new. A spark of interest was lit, but the preternatural sleep nearly extinguished it. ‘Come now. Answer the call.’ Another growl, and this time an eye half-opened, the scaly lid slowly pulling back and a leathery inner lid slid horizontally. The orb, almost glowing with an inner, fiery light, had an iris of red and orange, a slit pupil of jet black. The faint glow of volcanic fire lingered around her fangs and set shadows flickering across the walls.In the distance, another flame drew nearer, surrounded with an aura of the aethyr. Once more she growled, and her eyes snapped open fully. The scaled lips drew back in a snarl.

‘My will is before you. Bind your will to mine. Our minds shall be joined, our powers merged. We shall become one mind, one power.’ A burst of anger snapped across the encroaching mental link, and for a second the singing stopped.

‘You are bold, to come into my lair. What gives you the right?’ she barked, drawing to her feet and spreading her wings. It was an impressive display; her wings spanned eighty feet and when she reared on her back legs, she measured fifty high, although she was still small in comparison to the cavern. Her scales glimmered in the light, the colour of wine held before a bright lantern. The pressure of the wings caused the magical flame to flicker and sputter, and when no answer was forthcoming the she-drake roared, a monstrous bellow which resounded around the cave for nearly five answer, and simultaneously demanded - ‘Answer me, elfling!’

The elf bowed magnaminously, and the flame - held atop the staff she held - and then sang out with her mind, like silver bells. ‘I am Chloë Helyanwë, descendant of Imrik, your companion, and further, Caelon Helyanwë, companion to your sire. By right of my blood I call to you, by my will I would bond with you. By my heart I would be your companion, your friend.’

She snarled again, showing her teeth, but she allowed the she-elf, this Chloë, to reach for her mind again, trying to bond with her. The layers of their minds met, and instantly the dragon was seeing images; a handsome male elf, so alike to this one, a trio of ships sailing from a harbour, to join a larger fleet just off the coast. A city, a mountain, black smoke rising from it. A hard climb, dreams of fire and volcanic heat, revelling in it. Then the emotions hit; exhiliration, excitement, disappointment, hope - fear. The last was the most pronounced, an overriding sense of it. Even the dragon, as unused to these sensations as were most dragons, felt something stir within her. ‘What is this fear? Who is the he-elf?’ she sent, along with her interpretation of the emotions.

The elf was shocked, and it took her a moment to organise her thoughts. ‘He is my brother; he sails the sea to fight. We hope he will avenge the sister taken a century ago … By the druchii!’ The last word was sent with such anger that the dragoness roared again, and added her own fury.

‘The Kin-Slayers, the Egg-Cursers!’ she howled, before lowering her head to look at Chloë, almost appraising her. ‘They killed my nest-mates and dam, they maimed my sire. I will aid you in this, Chloë descendant of Imrik, if you can but name me.’

A look of excitement, as if she had almost been to afraif to hope for this, flashed across her face, and she took a deep breath to centre and calm herself. ‘You are Kyalsie, whose sire was Draukhash and whose dam was Ingeria. You are she who is named the Forge-Fire, Scourger of Dwarves.’

Kyalsie, Moon Dragon of Caledor, roared in approval as her titles were listed, and when the sounds faded she lowered her head once more.

‘So, Chloë Imrik-kin, it seems we are bound; me to you and you to me!’

[align=center]- - -[/align]

So ... Thoughts, please? :D

Oh, and as a post-script, the Imrik named here isn't the Imrik in current lore, but one of her ancestors (her great-great grandfather)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: The Awakening

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Nice introduction!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Lord Sithoelan

#3 Post by Lord Sithoelan »

I like it!! I was having troubles when I wrote the sequence for my character and dragon's bonding, but I like how you took yours! Well done. Is there more on the way?!?!
"Adapt, Overcome, Persevere - No Sacrifice, No Victory!"
Glorfindain

#4 Post by Glorfindain »

Well done. I liked the peek into the past of both the dragon in her titles and the elf's motivation of vengeance. We will be waiting the next installment.