Haunted Waves

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Raven Halo

Haunted Waves

#1 Post by Raven Halo »

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read. Any suggestions or thought are welcome. Just a note this will be having another part added at some point.

I awoke to find myself alone, surrounded in mist and dank fog. It seemed as if no light could penetrate this place, ancient black trees were all I could see. My body ached and my mind was weary. To even think caused me pain, and I could not remember how I came to be here. For a while I simply lay there trying to refocus myself, concentrating on my steady breath rising deeply within my chest. A cacophony of sounds invaded my ears; I dared not guess what they could possibly be. Hearing the unfamiliar, cast a sense of dread and fear within me.

My only comfort was that I still had my trusty blade, something that had followed me into every battle I have ever fought.
As I struggled to my feet, I fought to retain my balance, using my blade to support me I limped slowly into the mist. Every step I took from that moment on had a disorientating effect upon me. My body felt distant and almost insubstantial. Through my hazed vision I saw a dark figure in the distance, its cruel eyes starring directly at me. When it spoke to me its voice was hollow and feint, yet it sent a cold shiver down my spine that I would never wish upon any other living soul.

“This is my domain Asur! Many of your kind have journeyed to my lands; all of them have shared the same fate. If you do not leave now you will join them.”

I looked up to see the figures sceptre glowing with some arcane sorcery, and saw the unnatural light that emanated from it. All around the forest floor ethereal beings emerged from the ground, each one painted with a sad and mournful face. I recognised the armour they wore, they were all my kin! Brave warriors of the Asur held captive in this vile place. As they fully materialized into the land of the living, the dark figure spoke once more.

“This is the fate that awaits you elf! This is your last chance, do not think because these are the souls of your kin that they will not attack. Eternal grief and mourning gifts the bearer with a new perspective on life, revenge is a thirst that needs to be quenched.”

“Release me from your sorcery you hateful creature! Or are you to much of a coward to face me on fair terms?”

“Cowardice, something your warriors were all too skilled in before they to parted from this world and entered my service.”

“Do not speak such poison to me necromancer! My men are brave and loyal to our cause, and although my memory has been tainted by your dark art, I still have enough wit about me to tell a lie when I hear it”

“Then surely your wit will be all you need to protect you from the dead?”
A vast beam of light burst from the necromancer’s staff and the souls of the fallen elves advanced upon the noble lord, their eyes burning with anger.

A rage of my own burned within me, all to eager to silence the evil that I had just encountered. Yet for all of my good intentions that power was somehow trapped inside me. My body was still weak even though my mind seemed to quicken somewhat. As the spectres advanced upon me I tried to warn them away with a swing of my blade, yet my strength failed. I could not even lift the blade more than a few inches from the ground. A spectre advanced towards me it was all I could do to fall to the ground to avoid a deadly swipe of its ethereal blade aimed directly at my throat.

Another three of the hideous apparitions of life hovered around me all raising their blades in unison poised to carry out their fatal blow. I refused to close my eyes if I was going to meet my death I would face it, not cower away. The circle of blades drew closer to me like an unnatural guillotine, yet their blades were stopped. A magical barrier with a blue hue appeared all around me. The barriers force knocked the spectres back; this incensed their furry to a greater level. Persistent in their attempts, they continually threw deadly attacks, yet it still my protection stayed strong.

I looked all around me to see the conjurer of this saving grace yet all I could see was the same dank mist that greeted me before. It was then that a familiar voice called out to me, inspiring fresh hope in my heart.

“lurieal my dear friend at last I have found you. I know that the necromancer’s curse still holds its sway over you, but heed my words and I will deliver you to a safe place where you can find me. Firstly to not step one foot outside of the barrier I have created, if you do so the necromancers hold over you will grow. Look to your left, see the great oak tree scarred with deep wounds? Move towards it and strike it with all of your might it will reveal a portal away from the accursed realm you are trapped within.”

My emotions were mixed and confused. On the one hand, I felt a grave loss of seeing the souls of my kin turned into twisted versions of their true selves. I felt a sense of shame of having succumbed to the twisted power of the winds of magic. But despite this, I felt a deep sense of relief that I could escape this nightmare. I walked towards the oak tree feeling the forests power drain away from me with each step. Holding my blade high in the air I struck down breathing a sigh of relief as my eyes caught a brief glimpse of the real world. I brought the blade down a second time. I could smell the scent of the sea and hear its majestic crashing waves on the shore. With the final strike of the blade I had created enough room for my escape.

I stood out to an open shore with the sun shining down upon me, a picturesque scene a vast contrast to what I had experienced. The portal sealed itself within an instant. A few feet away from me stood a proud and valiant ship bearing the flag of the mighty Assur, I had found my kin. And there waiting upon the boat was the sorcerer who provided my escape, my friend who had stood alongside me in many battles Anduil. I took long strides across the shore before calling out to him.

“My most gracious saviour, my dear friend I owe you great thanks. Once again you have saved me from the depths of defeat”

“I would do it a thousand times again lurieal, after all how many times have you offered the exact same kindness over these many years”.
As I boarded the ship I embraced the wizard while looking around to see yet another heart-warming sight. My full battalion were alive and well! I began to embrace those closest to me.

“Lord Lurieal, we feared the worse when we lost you, I cannot tell you have relieved I am to still be under your service”

“Not as happy as I am to see my crew unharmed, tell me was I the only one plagued with that dark art?”

“No my lord, all of your guard were paralyzed for a time. Once they had recovered they had little recollection of what happened, but it appears you were the only one of us that was taken away from the ship”

For a while the crewmen and I discussed what had happened, sharing what we could remember when I saw a strange sight. The clouds darkened in mere seconds, as if the light was bleached from the sky. As I looked towards the beach I could see the sands tremble as undead bodies slowly crawled out. At first they emerged one by one, then their numbers doubled, and before long tripled until a horde stood before us. I had hoped that this necromancer only had strength in the realm that I escaped from, but it was clear his foul influence had spread further.

“Raise the anchor we set sail my brothers, we are too few to clean this land of its plague though we may return in force to carry out this righteous work. Bring archers to the deck slay what you can”

The archers assembled themselves into two ranks readying their bows and steadying themselves, waiting for their command to release. When the command was spoken to fire at will, volley after volley was unleashed. Within mere seconds my skilled warriors had reloaded. The swelling ranks of undead quickly fell, yet despite their truest aim the foul sorcery that sustained them ensured my men could only thin their rank, and not destroy them.

As our boat cast off, we welcomed the safety of the open waves leaving the hellish island behind us, eager to journey to our homeland. Though just as we thought we had escaped the cruel grip of danger, the wave’s beneath us began to grow in strength. Water crashed onto the deck before rocking from side to side. Before long screams cried into the air as a dark shadow could be seen just under the surface, a giant serpent like creature. A loud crash echoed out before the serpent revealed itself. Its body crashed through the deck. I was faced with yet another creature of the undead, a creature made of ancient bone. It let out a mighty roar before forcing itself through the rest of the ship crushing everything its touched and sending out to the mercy of the sea...
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Haunted Waves

#2 Post by Aicanor »

Interesting idea. I like the dark atmosphere. I suppose they won't drown. :mrgreen:
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Aicanor wrote:Interesting idea. I like the dark atmosphere. I suppose they won't drown. :mrgreen:
That would make me laugh.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#4 Post by Aicanor »

:mrgreen: Yes, yes, neverending story.