Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: A Disgraced House Rises Again

#31 Post by Elithmar »

Good to hear. :)
Pursuit

Like thousands of watching eyes, the stars peered down on Daelaner as he lay on the cold, wet grass. It was a clear, frosty night, lit by the waxing gibbous Moon, low in the western sky; it was very nearly full, washing the grassy bank in light. Nearby the exhausted stream trickled lazily by and the only other sound was that of an owl somewhere across the water.

Daelaner was quite happy where he was, resting his aching muscles. It was chilly, but then it was still warmer than the icy stream. He had no idea how he had survived the crashing waters and razor-sharp rocks; he had, though. It had been a long, terrifying journey, but he had eventually washed up on the bank where he now lay. And he wasn’t at all anxious to move.

A horse neighed in the distance. Hooves thundered. Shouts in elven rang out; the voices carried the distinctive Druchii dialect and they didn’t sound to be far enough away for Daelaner’s liking.

Suddenly finding a lot more energy, he shot up on to his feet. He crawled to the top of the rise and peeped over the top. Scanning the plain, he could see no sign of the riders, so he still had some time. Judging by how loud the sounds were, they would be upon him by dawn.

He slid back down the slope, looking first up and then downstream, but he couldn’t see anyone else. Fearing the worst, he decided to set off downstream – up would simply take him back to the citadel. His legs screamed out with every step, begging him to rest again. The pain would be a lot worse if he stopped and the Druchii caught him though, so he forced himself to continue.

As he trudged along beside the stream, he became acutely aware of his surroundings – the fox over to his left; the mouse by his right foot; the owl in the tree overlooking the little valley – so that, when the Druchi tried to creep up behind him from out of the bushes, he instantly spun around and threw him to the ground. Before the elf could even think about getting up again, Daelaner had a hand at his throat.

“Are there any others nearby? Speak!” he said. As he shook the elf, his eyes rested on the face and he realised he recognised it. Hastily dropping the elf, he backed away and desperately tried to apologise.

“I’m so sorry! How should I know it was you? I thought I was the only one left...”

“Shh,” Arnarion said as he stood and brushed the vegetation off his tattered robes. “The Druchii aren’t far away. We must move quickly.”

Still feeling terrible because of his mistake, Daelaner followed behind the prince as they began downstream again. Encouraged with the knowledge that he wasn’t the only one after all, Daelaner moved more quickly now. He didn’t know where they were going, just that they had to keep moving; the Moon had dipped below the horizon and the sky was beginning to lighten.

Daelaner remembered something. All of a sudden he asked to the figure in front of him, “How did you escape?”

Not even slowing, the prince shrugged his shoulders. “Does it matter?”

Daelaner wasn’t satisfied. “Yes. I’d like to know.”

A sigh. “I started shouting and one of the human guards came over to shut me up, but he got too close. By the time he’d realised the keys were missing from his belt, I was out and he was lying unconscious on the floor. The only other obstacle was the other three guards. I’m sure those Druchii will personally guard the prisoners next time.”

“But how did you know the Druchii wouldn’t come back for another prisoner while you were escaping?” Daelaner asked.

“I’d been watching how often they came. I knew I’d have at least a minute.”

Daelaner gazed at the back of the prince with renewed admiration. Despite his modesty, he’d still tricked and overcome four human soldiers in less than a minute.

But just then, a crossbow bolt whistled through the air, millimetres from his face. His heart skipped a beat. Jerking around, he saw the Druchi rider loading another bolt. He heard hooves pounding the earth as the rider’s companions rushed to the scene.

Not wasting a moment, Daelaner turned and splashed through the stream. As numerous black-shafted bolts filled the air like a deadly shower of rain, the two Asur sprinted up the opposite bank. It was hopeless, though. They hadn’t gone ten metres when the riders emerged from the miniature valley and rode up to surround them. All they could do was stand there and watch as the Druchii raised their crossbows to aim.

Then a horn sounded. Daelaner could tell it was a human horn. Assuming it was the Druchii’s allies, he thought nothing of it. Until one of the riders fell from his saddle, an arrow lodged in his back.

Forgetting their captives, the Druchii hastened to meet the new foe. Charging towards them was a large group of human archers. Though they easily outmatched them elf for man, the riders were outnumbered and decided not to risk it. The Druchii fell back across the stream, arrows chasing them as they went.

With the Druchii gone, the archers halted and their leader came forward. He was dressed in simple leather and green cloth like the others, but he wore a red feather in his cap to distinguish him from the rest. He called to a few of his men. They went up to the elves, who saw no point in resisting, and bound their hands.

After that, the humans began to lead the two elves away, presumably to their settlement. Daelaner just hoped they would be a bit friendlier than the last humans they had met.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor