Point of no return - Chess interlude

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Point of no return - Chess interlude

#1 Post by Aicanor »

I am a bit unsure about posting this. It has been lying around on my hard disk for some time now and as the theme is discussed here, I thought I will face the point of no return and post it - the question is - what do you think of it? Should I continue with the story?

This part stands as a preface.
On one of the many northern isles of Ulthuan...

“Well, Adnezar. I would say today the Lady Rianor won’t be happy with you.”
“And what is it to you, Yennar?” Adnezar frowned at the Elf and continued his walk through the encampment, his page in tow. The captain stepped closer. Too close for Adnezar’s liking. Several hundred miles closer than he would like him to be, to be precise.
“To me?” Yennar said, his face studiously impassive. “Nothing, but others might wonder.”
“What I did is nobody’s concern,” the Adnezar replied in perfectly calm voice. ‘And least of all yours, you slimy snake...’ But he knew better. Yennar has made his concern everything that could make him look better in Lady Rianor’s eyes. Which meant he had to best Adnezar. Bloody fool, and not the only one. They never seemed to realize he would gladly step away from their path and see them try. Only that wasn’t an option.
“She may find more interesting what you didn’t do.”
Adnezar shrugged. “Go tell her then and stop wasting my time. Unless you want to give me some entertainment on the duelling grounds. I am still clad for battle.” He locked his eyes with Yennar’s.
Yennar looked away, then raised his eyes again. “There are others to tell her, Lord,” he hissed. “They will see you fall this time.”
”Your devotion to the common goal is admirable, Captain,” Adnezar smiled and nodded his head. Then walked through the door of his pavilion.

“He was right, my Lord,” commented the page once they were safely inside. “She won’t be pleased.”
"The wretch was not worth a blow. Anyone could strike him down.”
Only they didn’t. The old man knelt in the middle of the batllefield, bent over dead body of his son as if waiting for a blow to end his misery.
Adnezar wiped the blood off his sword as he walked past the Rebel Lord. Their eyes met in a flash of recognition. Next second Adnezar was past him and in the midst of whirling battle again. It didn’t last long. With their general slain, the Rebels were driven back and fled the field, leaving most of their dead and dying behind. Most, but not all.
Yes, he knew full well Rianor will not like that part of the story at all and was not overjoyed with the prospect of facing her displeasure. The sorceress was a harsh mistress, as tricky as death.

As the page helped him divest of grimy armour and khaitan, he could see in the youth’s half-closed eyes he too was secretly pleased by the prospect of his Lord being finally brought down by his enemies, leaving the beautiful sorceress free to choose another man to be her lover. More the fool. If they only knew how he hated the hag. But the only one who knew was Rianor herself. That was part of the reason she chose him and it amused her to no end to watch him squirm and yet fight others who would take his place.
Adnezar smiled at the boy, who paled and took a step back. “Keep away from her, for your own good, child.” he muttered. ‘Or at least wait another yen or so, if you want to live long.’
He then let his page slip from his mind, for he had more pressing matters to attend to.
Last edited by Aicanor on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Point of no return

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A brilliant painter and story teller, that's just unfair!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Raithial

#3 Post by Raithial »

really nicely written, quite a good read too. ~w~ and it seems we both had the same Idea for the start of our story. let's just hope our story-telling and different character differ enough ~w~.
I would think so though, since I've had some time to devellop my character through several campaigns, completely independent of your story.

but I love how your story takes a perspective I had not thought of before; the sort of honour-killing that goes on in Naggaroth, and how the lordling tries to please her. Crafty thinking, and awesome writing. ^^ I will eagerly await more.
[img]http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/hh480/Dernaile/oacau0ek.jpg[/img]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#4 Post by Elithmar »

I wish my writing was as good as yours. :) Definitely continue! This should be interesting.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Aicanor
Rainbows

#5 Post by Aicanor »

Wow, thanks for the feedback! Seems I'll have to start to work on putting together the next chapter now. :shock:
Raithial wrote: let's just hope our story-telling and different character differ enough ~w~.
No worry there, I think. But we'll see. Looking forward to see how your story unfolds. :wink:
Aicanor
Rainbows

#6 Post by Aicanor »

Another introduction...
The beast

"I guess it... worked, then?"

Isilmir started. The harsh sound of otherwise familiar words sent shivers down his spine. The Dark Elf didn't even seem conscious a moment ago. He didn't speak since Isilmir took his hand and helped him over the side of the boat, leaving pools of salty water and blood all over the board of their small sailing boat.
He himself had never expected to survive the fight, but here he was, almost unscathed. Whips of his captors left more marks on his unprotected flesh than the mighty beast. Sea dragon was a formidable foe for a warship, it could easily crash them along with their little vessel in one swoop of its horned head. They were no threat to it. Three exhausted and beaten men armed with stolen weapons and nothing to protect them against the beast but cloth. They should not be able to do anything but die bravely. But somehow, the fell beast was dead. The Human, Eldrik, was torn apart by its razor sharp teeth and the cold waves of the Sea soon silenced his screams of pain. Isilmir didn’t feel pity for his Human companion. At least he died a free man, which was more than any of them could hope for. His other... companion seemed to get off little better.
Yet he managed to run his blade through the creature's mouth and into its head. It didn't let go easily. He could see broken bones protruding from the wound below his companions right elbow, where the beast's teeth mauled him in its last living moments.
His other… companion was an enigma to him. He knew nothing of him but the obvious. If his jet black hair and dark eyes weren’t evidence enough of his Dark Elf ancestry, his speech would betray it. Isilmir came to hate the harsh sounding parody of his own language his captors used. The way they made the words sound like curses. ‘Hell,’ he shuddered, ‘they mostly were curses.’
He’s learned that the hard way in the bowels of the Arc.

------------------------

Deep inside the rocky foundations of the floating castle were dungeons and dark pits that were once used as storerooms and cellars of the citadel. For a thousand years slaves worked there, slowly removing rubble to uncover new vaults and corridors, dying to magical residues from the time of the Sundering, poisonous gases... and murderous tastes of their Druchii masters, searching of for long lost treasures. Water seeped through the walls and there was no escape from freezing cold of the damp air. That’s where they took Isilmir. Why him and not the others, he didn’t know. Surely he was no different from his equally unfortunate comrades. He, as they, simply had the misfortune to fall on the field of battle - and survive. He faintly remembered long downwards corridors and flights of stairs and the roughness of the stone. Fettered so they couldn’t run away from their overseers (who were, mostly, slaves of somewhat better standing in this desolate place), they removed stones from age old cave-ins and hauling them up to be sent to the surface and disposed of. Occasionally, one of his fellows met the same fate. Dead, or not quite dead yet, they were thrown into the cart and buried under the rubble. They were mostly considered lucky by the rest of them. Isilmir learned soon it was not advisable to try to get to know his fellow prisoners too well.

But it was hard not to take notice when they dragged the man into their cell. Isilmir was amazed. To share the fate of their slaves must have been utter disgrace for one of their own. He never heard of something like that. Of course his knowledge of the Dark Elves was limited to his current experience, but he would say death, slow or quick, was most common punishment amongst his dark kin.
Even the slavers seemed to be unsure about what to do with their prisoner at first. He’s never seen the Druchii soldiers who threw him in their cell, chained in the same way as the other slaves were, but with wrists tightly bound behind his back with a piece of cord.
The slaves lying or sitting around the walls fell utterly silent. No one dared to move long after the Hated Ones were gone. No one dared to speak. Was this some twisted trick of their tormentors? But no. They didn’t come back. The new arrival found a free spot by the door and dragged himself up to the sitting position. From there he looked them over as silently as they watched him. Short hours in which they were allowed to rest passed. Then Eldrik came to a decision. He edged to the stranger and removed the cord. The Elf didn’t thank him, just nodded, betraying no emotion.
Black days, if he dared to call the constant dark a day, went by in hard labour, hunger, cold and pain. They took the Dark Elf away, then returned him, considerably worse for wear, bloodied and bruised. Unlike other days he tried to stop them from going away, kneeling he reached up through the bars of the door, speaking rapidly in their ugly language. They laughed at him and hit him with their iron bound cudgels until blood gushed out and he fell on the stone floor of the cell, groaning.
They left, still laughing. Apparently they felt no more qualms to beat their former comrade.
The man then lay there for a some time before he slowly stood up, leaning against the wall. “Well,” he said, facing the slaves. “Does anyone care to join me and get out of this accursed place?”

Now you know why I like this kind of stories, I am just evil. :twisted: Let me know what you think...
Last edited by Aicanor on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Point of no return - The Beast, part 1

#7 Post by Aicanor »

Sorry for the incomplete chapter (not the best place to stop, I guess)...
“Well,” he said, facing the slaves. “Does anyone care to join me and get out of this accursed place?”

Someone laughed, not too loud, of course.
“And how do you propose we move through locked doors and around the guards? And then what? There is sea all around.” Others joined in and laughed. It was not a pleasant sound. Isilmir shivered at its hollowness.
The man smiled. “And there are ships at the docks. Surely not that much of a problem. Anyone?”
Eldrik stood up. “Are you trying to trick us?” he asked.
“Not at all, Human.” Despite the cuts and bruises marring his face he looked almost amused.
“If you know a way, I will join you, Elf.”
“As will I,” Isilmir said almost against his will. He longed to do something, anything to stop this. Now, before his captors beat all will out of him. “But if it is a trick, Dark One, I will find a way...”
The Dark Elf seemed surprised for the briefest moment, then nodded. “Some more brave souls amongst you? No?”
“But how do you propose we get through the bars? With bare hands?” Others laughed again. “He is insane,” someone commented.
“It is one of their twisted torments,” said another.
Isilmir wondered the same, but kept quiet. Better some hope than none. The black haired man moved back to the door and pushed it. It opened with a soft click. A key materialized in his hand and in an instant he was free of the fetters and tossed the key to Eldrik. "I don't think we'll need it," he said dismissively when Isilmir moved to return the key. He nodded in the direction of the rest of the slaves with a sneer and Isilmir took the message and tossed the key at the nearest of them. The Druchii looked at him approvingly. “We will leave the door open, in case you change your mind.” Unmoving, they stared at the Elf in silence. This way,” he said to his two companions.

Isilmir turned his attention back to the present. Dark hair of his companion were twined with green seeweed, torn rags were dyed dark with blood flowing from deep gashes all over his right side.
When Isilmir watched him go under the waves together with trashing body of the blasted sea monster, he didn't expect to see him again. Yet, here he was, and sharks were tearing flesh from the dreaded sea beast instead...
Isilmir delivered a blow or two of his own to the dragon, but without the daring final blow of this man it would never be enough to turn the monstrous thing away.

-------------------

“Is it...” the bleeding man whispered again.
"Yes, yes," said Isilmir flatly. "It’s dead."
"Good," his companion said with effort. "Then maybe it is better this way. Perhaps the war-god will now receive me with some honour."
He sounded somewhat doubtful to Isilmir’s ears, though.
Last edited by Aicanor on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: Point of no return - The Beast, part 2

#8 Post by Elithmar »

You are too cruel. ;)
Aicanor
Rainbows

#9 Post by Aicanor »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:You are too cruel. ;)
I suppose I shouldn't let them kill the monster? #-o
Larose
Chronicler

#10 Post by Larose »

And so it begins.... lol and now you are stuck! Sucked in by your own love for stories! Doomed ! hahah I like it already, awesome detail and flow. :mrgreen:
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#11 Post by Aicanor »

Larose wrote:And so it begins.... lol and now you are stuck! Suhttp://www.ulthuan.net/forum/posting.php?mode= ... a2d9a#cked in by your own love for stories! Doomed ! hahah I like it already, awesome detail and flow. :mrgreen:
Doomed. :shock: Probably I am. But thanks anyway! :wink: Maybe I will finally finish the story now. :mrgreen:
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#12 Post by Elithmar »

Aicanor wrote:
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:You are too cruel. ;)
I suppose I shouldn't let them kill the monster? #-o
I really meant the tortures and that in the gaol. But yes, I shall report the killing of the beast to the RSPCA!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#13 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Aicanor has graduated to a Story teller! Nice work, keep it up!
I've found myself writing quite a bit. After volunteering for a special project for my faction in the Sentinels campaign, they keep asking me to contribute more.
Some of the rewards for this are great, two rounds this campaign, Ele has featured in the Turn fluff ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#14 Post by Elithmar »

I saw that in the turn fluff. Well done! When the campaign's over, you can post fluff here. :twisted:
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Point of no return - To follow the star

#15 Post by Aicanor »

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated, and another story would be great, Ele. :wink: Well, as Headshot is temporarily out of the way, I think it's safe to post another part of the story. :twisted:
(Warning: contains blood, gore and cruelty to wildlife.)

To follow the star

“What was your plan? What should we do now, Dark Elf?” Isilmir hated to ask his companion for directions, but he was at loss of what to do just now. He had little knowledge of these seas and as much as he told himself it would probably be better if the Dark Elf died, the idea of being alone didn’t appeal to him.

“Follow Helkhar at night for at least one more day and hope for the best,” His wounded companion managed a rueful smile. Their luck so far was not what anyone could call “best”.
“Helkhar?” Isilmir asked, confused.
Adnezar sighed as he searched his memory for the half forgotten word. “Elcariel. Yes, Elcariel,” he said aloud at length.
“The Ice Queen,” Isilmir muttered. “But the coast is there,” he pointed to the south, where western sun lighted the ragged outline of the Annulii mountains with fire.
“Want to brave the... Cursed Isles... at night?” the Druchii smirked. “Are you that desperate, or...?”
“Perhaps I am, Dark Elf.” Isilmir retorted, frowning. “How am I supposed to get the boat anywhere alone?”
“How... reassuring.” the Druchii said, his breaking voice dripping sarcasm. ‘Trust me, I’d love to help, but as it is, I have to leave matters in your capable hands.’
“Do you want me to tell you all will be nice and cosy?” Isilmir spat angrily. “You shouldn’t let the drake bite your arm off then. There is not much I can do about it now.”
The Dark Elf started to cough. ‘Or perhaps,’ Isilmir shook his head in disbelief, ‘he actually laughed.’ Isilmir didn’t see any humour in it. He turned his head away, scanning the horizon. Nothing disturbed the blue and white of the waves.

"What is your name?" Isilmir asked abruptly, breaking the silence. Only now he realized the man never told him and he never cared to ask. But now he felt the need to know. Looking at him, he was sure there was a good chance for him to die. And if he was to see him off on his last journey, he wanted to do it properly. Druchii or not, the man deserved at least that from him.
He just didn't know whether his companion would see it in the same way. The Dark Elf didn't seem to be very happy with his new acquitance and he was very reluctant to talk of anything but business to him or poor Eldrik so far. But the Druchii surprised him. "Adnezar," he whispered. "Alairi Adnezar." He closed his dark eyes.

"Would you... do me a favour?”
Isilmir raised an eyebrow, fully expecting to hear more sarcasm. It was all getting on his nerves, really.

"If you get to your people, leave me to the sea," Adnezar whispered.
Isilmir noted with wry amusement he didn't say 'your land'. Not even now was he ready to admit that his kind had no right to Ulthuan any more. But of course, he knew very well what kind of reception he’d get there.
"I will do what I can, Adnezar," the High Elf promised, knowing it was most probably not going to be his greatest problem, even if the Dark Elf lived that long. He will do what he can all right, but first he has to try and get the boat to land. Of the two of them the one who really knew how to sail was lying in a pool of his own blood.

---------------------

Monstrous head broke the surface as silently as a ghost, then the water started to rain down with roar of a waterfall. When drops of water started to fall in his face, Adnezar sprang into action. He changed the course of the boat so sharply that it leaned hard to the starboard to avoid crashing right into the creatures snakelike neck. He shouted at his staggering companions to prepare for a fight. Although, he hoped the beast was just curious. It happened, sometimes.
The monster dived back under the water and the long shadow of its body swam under the keel. There was no escaping it. The Dark Elf righted the boat and secured it in its course. He stroke the wood. 'Be a good girl,' he whispered to the vessel. 'Get us out safely.'
Then he was away and ready for whatever was to happen. The boat swayed madly as the beast reappeared, this time to strike.
Eldrik and Isilmir threw themselves aside as it came at them and Adnezar could do nothing but hope that the boat will be quick enough not to be crushed to pieces under the monstrous body. He saw it in great detail. It was a magnificent beast, at least fifty feet long, black streaked with purple and in its eyes was cold fire. Hunting, or playing. Not that it made a difference. It vanished under the waves in their wake and he knew he had a few seconds to guess where it will resurface.
If it broke the mast, they were finished. If it decided to bite into the hull, they were finished. He maneuvred again and the drake's head brushed the port where Eldrik and the Rebel Elf now stood. Eldrik shouted something in his language and stroke the bottom of the head just as Isilmir tried the same from the other side of. It whipped around and Eldrik screamed as its long teeth caught him and threw him into the air. Adnezar willed the ship to move faster as the scream was cut short as Eldrik fell into the water. The drake dived after the Man.
Isilmir stared after it and Adnezar tried to lead the boat away as fast as he could.
“It will be back!” he shouted at the Elf through the sprays of water that seemed to be hanging in the air. It was. It stroke again, dripping blood from its mouth and Isilmir dodged it by mere inches as he tried to make it some harm with his sword. It was a good strike, but he could just as well beat it with a stick. Of course, all they could do wouldn’t be enough to drive the monster away. One wrong move and it will be over. Adnezar felt rage rise within him. The serpent was not going to stop him now. It took little effort to see they were never going to cut deep enough through its scales with their laughable weapons. No, once he joined the fight, he’ll have to go for a weaker spot - well, not exactly weaker.
He spoke to the boat again as he left his place at the helm. There was no point waiting, he had to do it now. He broke into the run, guessing where the bloody thing will break the surface this time. Duly, the monstrous head appeared, ready to strike. But Adnezar was no Human. He leaped and his left hand gripped one of the ragged horns at the side of the creature's head. With his right he thrust the sword up into its mouth. He felt it strike the flesh and bone and slide deep inside. Then he released his grip on it. A fraction of second too late. The thing reared and tore with its sabre-like teeth into his flesh. And then he was falling, together with the trashing beast, they hit the surface and he was, his arm still trapped in the sea drake's mouth, dragged beneath the water.

---------------------

Adnezar woke up gasping for air. He was not in the water any more, but he still felt like drowning. Someone put spare sailcloth under his head, but it wasn't enough.

He struggled to sit, to ease his breathing. "Don't," came Isilmir's tired voice from somewhere near in the darkness. "Look, Elcariel is almost at the horizon. The day is near."
Indeed, Helkhar's cold, bluish light was just visible over the railing.
He tried to speak and started to cough instead. He knew what it meant. He's seen it often enough.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Point of no return - To follow the star - part 1

#16 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

If only he was a little quicker ^_^'
Larose
Chronicler

#17 Post by Larose »

I really enjoy the conflicting chemistry between them, hopefully adnezar lives to see another day ! ;) if not.. Well I am sure he will have a lasting effect on Isilmir ... 8)
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#18 Post by Aicanor »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:If only he was a little quicker ^_^'
Frankly I do not think there was much chance for him to get off with what he's done without any such accident. Wait, are you concerned for a former Corsair lord?
Larose wrote:I really enjoy the conflicting chemistry between them, hopefully adnezar lives to see another day ! ;) if not.. Well I am sure he will have a lasting effect on Isilmir ... 8)
We'll see how cheerful Christmas spirit influences the story. Not sure there will be cookies though.
Good to hear you enjoy interaction of the two. I also believe young Isilmir will never be the same after their (mis)adventure. We'll see what comes of it.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#19 Post by Elithmar »

Hmm, it's still pretty good to kill a huge sea monster though. :lol:
Aicanor
Rainbows

#20 Post by Aicanor »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Hmm, it's still pretty good to kill a huge sea monster though. :lol:
I also think he did well, whatever Isilmir might say. :mrgreen:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#21 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

HaHa~ I had to re-read the story, the names confused me, I didn't know who was who =P
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#22 Post by Elithmar »

Adnezar sounds Druchi, and Isilmir sounds Asur.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#23 Post by Aicanor »

Aicanor wrote:
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Hmm, it's still pretty good to kill a huge sea monster though. :lol:
I also think he did well, whatever Isilmir might say. :mrgreen:
You were probably confused by me calling him things like "Dark Elf" and "Druchii". :wink:
Time to start on the next part... :shock:
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Point of no return - Fevered Dreams

#24 Post by Aicanor »

Warning: It is not only the wounded hero fevered here, but the author also. I cannot guarantee the content is sane.
Fevered Dreams

Adnezar woke up in a dead of night. Not a dream, he was quite sure. No sound. Perhaps it was the silence. It was all too quiet. No shuffling of feet behind his walls, no voices and no noise from outside. His hand found the knife under his pillows before he was fully aware. He turned as if in sleep and listened. No sound still. Something was very wrong. He slid over the edge of the bed, crouched behind the curtains and waited.
Floor of the chamber tilted madly to one side, then the other. The salty smell of sea breeze was suddenly distinct in the air. Something was definitely very wrong. No storm since the Sundering, small or big, should have such effect on an Ark.

The dark interior of the chamber faded away in a spray of brine. There were stars above, but the sky was getting lighter. The boat was rolling on the waves. Adnezar moved his head to see what was going on. to his relief he saw Isilmir was also waking up in the cold spray. He was not sure he would be able to speak loud enough to be heard, much less wake the Rebel Elf up. The weight on his chest was too great.

“Water?” Isilmir asked and Adnezar accepted gratefully. It was a shame to be so parched with so much water everywhere. Isilmir was able to put the vessel back on its safe path, but Adnezar wondered how long it would last.
“You don’t have much salt water in your veins, do you?” he whispered hoarsely.
“Now you tell me a sailor never sleeps?” Isilmir raised his eyebrows in the semi-darkness of early morning. He was quite impressed the man was still able to make snide comments. In the pale light Adnezar looked to him like he had little more than salt water in his own veins.
“Of course not.” Adnezar’s lips curled up a little. He was breathing hard now. “If you have to... make sure to secure the rudder.”
“No need to worry, Dark Elf.” Isilmir managed a weak smile, but Adnezar’s eyes were already closed. Isilmir listened to his laboured breathing before he returned to his place. Now it was his turn to be troubled.

The dim lit bedchamber reformed around him, but for a little while he was able to remember it was not real. No. The sea and the sky were real... But there was no sea any more. Dark walls were back and he was waiting with bated breath for that someone to make first move. He had a good idea who was behind whatever was happening. But who would be her hand in this?
There was an old saying that applied perfectly: If you have enemies, sleep with one hand on a weapon. If you have many friends, both hands may not be enough.
And he certainly was a man with many friends.

'Ah, here you are, love.'
He started. Her voice didn’t belong there. It came out of the dark, carried on the ice wind. “You will not catch me,” he replied. He knew with utter certainty that he was going to be beyond her reach forever soon. “Never again, bitch.”
“Be nice, Adnezar, darling.” she admonished him. “Where are your manners?”
He didn’t answer, bending all his will to push her touch away. Soft tendrils of pure black were wrapping around him. Growing stronger as he was losing strength.
“No.” he struggled and she laughed at him, holding him tight in her grip.
“I marked you as mine, love. You’ll await my pleasure.”
He shuddered as the tendrils seeped into his flesh, sealing the wounds with power, circling in his veins. It was pure agony. He fought it, but he could as well try to fight the tide. And, unpleasant as it was, he found with some shame that he really didn’t wish to die.
“Hold still, silly man,” she sneered. "I’ll see to you and your young friend soon."
“Go... away!” with one last effort, he tried to push her away and felt… something... happen. He thought he heard a distant scream and she was gone from his mind as he was hurled into complete darkness. There was nothing. Then he heard her soft, purring voice again. But it was not the presence he felt earlier. A dream? Memory?

“I think it is time for you to finally join our - special - celebrations, Adnezar, darling.”
“You know full well I have no intention to do that, Rianor.” He didn’t bother with epithets.
“Maybe in the light of the past events you should... reconsider, my dear. I am starting to feel a bit bored.” She looked at him expectantly.
“Should we not be planning how best to serve our Lord against the Rebels?” He smiled grimly.
“You are so touchingly loyal to him all of sudden.”
“I am loyal.” He tried to stand up, but the sorceress pulled him back, tugging playfully at his robes. Dark blue flames danced at the ends of her slender fingers and in her eyes. Adnezar couldn’t deny that - she was beautiful. Dangerously so.
“Most definitely,” she purred, “but to whom? Not to the King and certainly not to me. I am starting to get bored of you, Adnezar. You deprived me of the prize that would give me some enjoyment, so you should provide some yourself.”
“That I definitely can, my Lady,” he grinned. “But let’s leave your... acquaintances - out of it.”
“No, no, no, my dear,” she whispered into his ear. “Love requires sacrifice.”
“And there are those who would be delighted to know what kind of sacrifice you have in mind.” He whispered back, brushing her ear with his lips.
“And they would be equally delighted to learn of your little secrets, my love.”
“So we are kind of equal.” he said. It was a wrong thing to say, but he was a little tired of the game. That didn’t bode well, he noted grimly.
“They are far away,” she said. Her caress send shivers down his spine but he didn’t pull away.
“And I am in charge,” Rianor added. “One way or another, I’ll get what I want. The choice is yours.”

Isilmir started awake, he looked up and found the sun has already risen over the haze on the horizon. Adnezar moaned, a tortured sound that made the Elf almost jump. His wounded companion was very quiet so far and the change boded no good. He crouched over the Dark Elf. A tremor ran across the body and Adnezar’s mouth opened in silent scream. As the convulsion passed tears rolled from under his eyelids.
It was not something Isilmir ever expected to see. Was he dying? If so, death was not kind to Adnezar. He watched his chance companion in pity and horror. Whoever he was and what he has done, he didn’t wish this on him.
Adnezar lay deathly still, but as he watched, Isilmir saw he was still breathing, almost imperceptibly. The cold that spread through his body was not a cold of death. And it made Isilmir feel very frightened all of sudden.
He looked away from the man and with no doubt in his mind what he would see, he looked back over the vast expanse of dazzling blue water.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#25 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Not the kind of dream I would want...
Aicanor
Rainbows

#26 Post by Aicanor »

Yes, who would? :mrgreen:
Malossar
Something Cool

#27 Post by Malossar »

Brilliant work my lady! I'll sleep with night light on tonight i think...
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#28 Post by Elithmar »

Aicanor wrote:Yes, who would? :mrgreen:
I'm going to say me, just to be awkward. :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#29 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I don't remember my dreams, but I can't say I would want one like that.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#30 Post by Aicanor »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:
Aicanor wrote:Yes, who would? :mrgreen:
I'm going to say me, just to be awkward. :)
Hehe. All right, there maybe some more dreaming... or perhaps not... if I manage to finish next chapter...
I remember lot of my dreams, but they are usually very complicated. Sometimes night lights are going out in them. :shock: :wink: