Prince Mentheus II. AKA my fluff :)

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mentheus of Caledor

Prince Mentheus II. AKA my fluff :)

#1 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

To set time/place etc.
My prince is the grandchild of the great general Mentheus who was appointed by the Phoenix king Morvael. He is the cousin of Imrik (current Imrik) and the ruler of a middle sized city in Caledor.

A couple of disclaimers, it is possibly not well written in places. It is kinda a draft, but I have really been feeling the need to give something back to the community recently, so I thought I'd post this even if it isn't complete/fully finished. So please excuse typos/bad wording/etc. I would love comments, criticism, etc. Hopefully there will be more on the way soon.
Any way, lets get to it:

Far to the south of Caledor, nearing toward the Anvil of Vaul, lay the keep of Prince Mentheus II, Tor Sethai. Perched atop one of the many mountainous ridges that ran through Caledor, sat the tall and imposing structure, its walls and parapets glistening starkly against the solemn grey that was so common throughout the province. The highest tower stood like a bright spear against the evening sky, puncturing the coming night just as the lances of Caledor’s finest did to Ulthuan’s foes.

Mentheus stood outside his council room, on a small viewing balcony, gazing out across the oblivion of the ocean, from the heights of this very tower. He often did this, especially when he knew battle was near, either in the future, or the past. In an older time, dragons took to wing readily, and flew swiftly through the air around the keep, rising on the thermals, but no more. The old glory of Caledor was no longer.

Mentheus was dreaming. Some Caledorians had it, others did not, some called it a curse, others called it the battle-sleep. Many other provinces saw this type of event as rampant bloodthirst. It was not, however, it was the need to test yourself upon the rigours of battle, to test your mettle against the mightiest of foes. To be a Caledorian.

He saw it vividly… His blade slicing deeply through the green flesh of the barbarian orc tribesman, whilst raising his shield to defend against a frenzied blow from another, only for the noble’s riposte to sever the beast’s head from its shoulders. More came, such was their nature, but none could stay the fury of the prince’s arm. Parrying, disarming, dismembering, slaying. He broke from his bloody reverie and exhaled deeply, leaning against a marble column and relaxing from his apparent physical exhausting.

“Hard work, slaying orcs, my lord?” a nearby voice startled him, Allandrian, Mentheus’ personal advisor, and great friend had silently appeared. Allandrian easily knew when his lord was in the throes of such a dream. “You have visitors”
“Please tell them that my council hours have finished for this day. I will speak to them in the morning.” Mentheus replied.
“I already told them that, my prince, but they are insisting…”
“Who decides when the Prince shall be seen? The prince, or his subjects?” Mentheus shot back, somewhat irritated that these visitors had even entertained the thought that they could demand the princes council.
“I understand your irritation, my lord. I would have sent any other away, but the one who comes to speak to you is Lenaethis of Hoeth.”

At the sound of this name, Mentheus did not reply, still simply staring out to the ocean. After a great length of time, Mentheus turned to face Allandrian.
“Bring me my armour.”
“Your armour, my lord?”
“Yes. I cannot maintain a civil conversation with an elf clad in scale whilst I am laid bare in fine silks. It is hardly befitting of any prince, let alone a Prince of Caledor. Besides, we wouldn’t want those warrior-scholars to think me intimidated, would we?” A devilish smile spilt onto Mentheus’ face, and Allandrian simply laughed.
“No my lord, of course not.” Allandrian replied, his face lit up with humour, as he turned on the spot to fetch the prince’s armour.

Prince Mentheus sat as his ornate chair in the council room, resplendent in his battleplate, staring menacingly towards the fully armoured swordmaster in the centre of the room, who simply maintained a neutral expression.

Lenaethis broke the silence that haunted the chamber, his voice as stern and as unnerving as only a Swordmaster could be, “We both know why I am here, my Lord. Your brother is not ready to have left the tutelage of the white tower. He will return with me by the morn.”
At the mention of his brother, Mentheus grew tense.
“He will not be going with you. He has leave from the High Loremaster. I’m sorry to inform you that your journey was a waste, but I bid you farewell, and I will retire” Mentheus started to rise from his seat, until, beyond his belief, Lenaethis readied his elegant greatsword.
“Are you threatening me?” disdain showed on Mentheus’ face, as he reached to draw his own weapon, Ceyl-Lathain.

“That is a lie. He does not have leave from the High Loremaster, the other Loremasters have instructed us to retrieve your sibling at all costs. He has proven to be very powerful, and by consequence, extremely dangerous. Do not draw your blade, my lord. If you do so I will be forced by edict to engage you. I was hoping to resolve this kindly. This is the third time the young Cython has escaped the white tower and made his way to your keep. He is not finished his tutelage. He WILL come with us. The path of the mage is dangerous my lord, the taint of chaos can be nigh undetectable, however proficient your brother may be, he is at risk from chaos and its ilk. I am charged by the Loremasters of the white tower to return their student, by any means necessary. I say again, he is extremely dangerous, my lord.”

As Lenaethis spoke these words, four more Swordmasters entered the council room. Lenaethis saw the Prince’s hand tighten around the hilt of his blade “My lord. I am warning you. I have no love for violence. I have less love for spilling the blood of another elf, especially a noble such as yourself.”

At these words Mentheus quickly rose to his feet, incensed by Lenaethis’ claim he would be the victor of such a duel. Mentheus drew his sword, its blue glow illuminating the now dark hall, as he drew closer to Lenaethis. “I am lord here.” Mentheus bellowed, “I am the Prince of this keep, cousin to Imrik, ruling Prince of Caledor. You have no jurisdiction in this realm, nor this city. I bid you, leave, before I show you just how much the skill of a Prince of Caledor outstrips some poets from the white tower.”

“Then I am sorry, my lord. Truly sorry.” With this, Lenaethis moved into a defensive stance, readying himself.

“Then let us see how far that fabled training gets you, poet.” Mentheus whispered with a smirk, entering his own stance, Ceyl-Lathain at the ready.

A sound like thunder split the room, just as the elves began their deadly dance, stunning the combatants. “ENOUGH!!!” commanded a voice, so full of eldritch might it threatened to pull Tor Sethai off the mountains and plunge it into the crashing waves below.

The elves, turned in shock towards the source of the voice, only to see Cython accompanied another older elf, clad in the garb of the High Loremaster.
“My Lord Teclis, what are you doing here??” exclaimed Lenaethis.

“I have been personally tutoring young Cython. He does indeed have my permission to permanently have leave of the Tower. Lenaethis, you are to return to the Tower and remind the other Loremasters that my absence does not grant them the right to overturn my decisions. “ His bitter voice was full of venom, and his glare was like a shower of ice, spearing its way through the swordmaster captain and his entourage.

The High loremaster continued, in an answer to the look of complete misunderstanding on the captain’s face, “To ease your confusion, the other loremasters are all princes of saphery, yes?”
“Yes.” The Swordmaster humbly stated.
“And they have seen the easy with which this youth rouses the dragons of Caledor. They loath to see another realm increase in power above their own…”
A look of understanding spread across the faces of the swordmasters.

“And my sapherian counterparts do not wish to see our people upon dragons again.” Mentheus started. He turned to Lenaethis,

“I am terribly sorry for my charade. I was informed by the High Loremaster not to tell you that he resided here, and I did not expect you to disregard my command. Or to be so ready to kill me.” Broad smiles crept onto every elf’s face.
“Do not worry," Lenaethis replied, "my prince, I was not aiming to kill you. Merely distract you whilst my fellows arrested your brother. And you owe me no apology, I owe you, my lord. I lost myself in the moment, and baited you with my words where I should not have. This was not meant to escalate. I should not have implied I would be the victor. It seems at the Tower we are all still learning.” Mentheus lost his smile, its place was taken by wonderment, followed by a joyous expression.
“They teach you well then, I see.” Cython spoke up cheekily.

Every elf in the room erupted into laughter, save for the Loremaster, whose mind was heavy with politics and the press of coming events.

Thanks for reading my wall of text, and I hope you enjoyed it :)
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Prince Mentheus II. AKA my fluff :)

#2 Post by Aicanor »

Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch. Good thing is they are almost never able to join forces... to cause mischief. :twisted: And Caledorians daydreaming about killing Orcs! Caledor is dreamy Inner Kingdom after all. Nice, very nice.
On serious note, I enjoyed the story and its unexpected turns very much. It is perhaps a little rough at the edges at some still, but as you say, it is a draft. I will look forward to see how this unfolds. =D>
~Milliardo~

#3 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Very well-written. Excellent work, sir! =D>
Mentheus of Caledor

#4 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

Thanks for the kind comments :)
Hopefully after exams I can finish it off, with a little more about my characters and how they interact, and the setting etc, but I just want to flesh out motivations from events, etc first :)
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#5 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Not bad Cython, Usually when I see fan fiction involving GW characters I avoid it, but you worked Teclis in well enough. It's good you avoided going on about him in detail, not sure about all the Loremasters being from Saphery, that can't be right =P
I liked how you made Lenaethis, he seemed just like I would imagine a Sword Master.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Mentheus of Caledor

#6 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

Hey thanks Elessehta.
I agree about GW characters. My issue is I want to be set in the current time period, and I needed to use the high lore master. More of them won't be showing their heads as the story progresses, and even Teclis won't be present after the next section.

About all the lore masters coming from Saphery, I guess that is true. I didn't really think about the fact that they would be from other provinces. I guess I could simply make it the majority. It isn't really a big issue. Mostly I just required a reason to undercut the high lore master, and that seemed to fit reasonably well. I can figure that out later. :)

I'm glad you like Lenaethis. He's not going to be leaving the story any time soon, I'll give you that :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I would have liked to have seen Lenaethis and Mentheus have a go. Would have been good if you could have incorporated the old 'forms' into the duel.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Talifan

#8 Post by Talifan »

Aicanor wrote:Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.
I find this to be wrong...I'm not evil...well only when destroying new players on the field... 8)

The Fluff is good though and with some refining will be even better! Keep it up!
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#9 Post by Aicanor »

I don't mind reading about GW special characters at all. Not all Loremasters come from Saphery, there were High Loremasters from other kingdoms, too (check Morvael) . But I can well imagine that those coming from Saphery have strong influence if they act together. Other than that, Sapherian princes are of course the most tolerant, welcoming and wise. :wink:
Talifan

#10 Post by Talifan »

Aicanor wrote:Other than that, Sapherian princes are of course the most tolerant, welcoming and wise. :wink:
You said it!
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]