Harquin, Warrior and Seer

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

The Silly Dragon

Harquin, Warrior and Seer

#1 Post by The Silly Dragon »

A strange flow of darkness swept across the battlefield. Even the sun was blocked from sight by the sheer power of those dark winds. The Druchii had finally arrived and with a host of deamons bolstering their number. What few High Mages were left did their best to calm the powers that were brought upon them. Some were successful others went mad or simply fell dead. The battlefield was already littered with the bodies of the Asur after the last conflict only days ago. The Dragons could not be woken and reinforments were too far away. The already decimated numbers of these last poor souls had no choice but to stand their ground.
The Enemy came into view and further dread snuck its way into the very hearts of those Asur who could see. Some whispered and some prayed, all hoped for either a quick death or a saviour.

A Lone Mage all that was left from the struggle with the chaos sorcery stood up onto a small rocky hill and turned to face his kin. What possible reason should there be for such a proud and noble race to be left alone like this? He took one glance at the approaching horde and began,
"My people, may Isha smile upon us today and keep Morai-Heg away from you all! Your eyes are narrow and your minds are heavy with doubt. Your heart is scared and your body shivers but you are the chosen! We all are Asuryan's children! I promise victory this day and i see you cannot accept that as no more than a lie!"
He pauses to scan the faces of the elves he is addressing and it to be true. The mage takes a deep breath and continues,
"Do not look to the graves for inspiration as our ancestors cannot help us, do not look at past glories to guide you for they have come and gone! We are a race in the twilight of its years!"
They look upon him like he had gone mad, this was no speech. More quietly he finishes,
"i refuse this end for us! and I refuse to accept that the Gods have abandoned us! I refuse to give ground this day! Look to your cots and your children to see that there is still hope! Look to the future and forge your own glories this day! Do not let these last days be our twilight but our rebirth!
For the Phoenix King and all..."

Harquin opened his eyes and surveyed the open fields of grassland before him. A small stony hill just to his right. The sun feeding its warmth to all the living creatures, birds singing in the trees. He walks to the hill and touches it with a steady hand. It feels cold.
"This is the spot for your last stand Altatar. The start of the end as it were told in the Chamber of Days. But mark my words that the Dragons will waken and the reinforments will arrive."
He takes one last look at the stony hill and begins to walk north.

C&C please as i have not done many (well any) story telling before. Will be more of this to come.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: Harquin, Warrior and Seer

#2 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I liked it, may have been better if the speech was given by a standard bearer rather than a mage, a BSB saying this before the battle with the nearby Mage augmenting his voice.
Some character introduction would have been nice, I don't know any of them ^_^'
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
The Silly Dragon

#3 Post by The Silly Dragon »

The way i write will slowly introduce the characters (Altatar the Mage and Harquin the Seer) and hopefully make sense (i write as i go along really, after having an idea).

A small settlement on the horizon makes Harquin stop to better examine the layout,
"tents to the east and ruined towers set at the north and south. No day to day activity and no farmland nearby. A military camp if ever i saw one"
He continues scanning the towers and tents for any clue as to who they were and comes across the banners of Avelorn and Saphery.
"ah, of course its you Altatar just as i predicted"
Taking up his Great Sword that he had laid down to rest Harquin makes for the camp of Altatar' warhost.

"Stop right th...!" the scout was able to say before Harquin span round and without looking disarmed the bow from the warriors hand,
"there you are, just on time. I believe your name is Furia or Long-eye to friends am i right?" and before Furia could answer Harquin threw back the bow and whispered,
"of course i am"
Bemused the Elf Furia hesitated before calling out to the others in his unit of scouts to stand down,
"its you isn't it? I should have guessed from the sword and armour"

Harquin need not say anything but continued inwards to the commanders tent.

"Look if we pull forces from Ellyrion we can outnumber the enemy for once!"
"No, they are needed incase the enemy decides to try going south"
"i wont take battle advice from a newly appointed high mage! i am the commander of this warhost not you"
"of course, but i beieve that with your years of experience you know i am right"
"..."
"..."
The two Elves stare at each other for a time before the heavily armoured one finally spoke,
"your still too young for this" before adding with a smile, "which is why i have great hopes for you Altatar"
"Thank you. Lord Gunrair"
Just then the flaps of the tent drew back and two guards marched in followed by an obviously well travelled warrior with his cloaks spoiled by dirt and his armour full of dust.
"well if i may be so bold as to say..." Lord Gunrair said before Harquin continued with
"...that if i see before me is the seer himself who can at times take the words right out of your mouth. Am i right?" Harquin asked with a smug look on his face
"so the stories...
"are true?"
"stop...
"that!"
"eerie" they said at the same time and the Commander shivered slightly inside.

Harquin walked round the only table in the middle of the tent which had a map laid out with little stones placed here and there. He picks one up and places it just beyond a south westerly river.
"There is where you want a reserve unit of cavalry to charge at the right time, thank me after"
As Lord Gunrair examined the newly placed stone Harquin stands next to Altatar arms crossed,
"i swear you follow me" Altatar says sideways without taking his eyes off the commander
"no, only time is my guide"
"so you turn up when you feel you need to influence the timeline?"
"the only time" Harquin smiles as his people never seem to get when he tries to joke
"what can possibly go wrong against these greenskins? that you feel you need to act?"
"that"
"what?
"what you said. Think about it"
A pause ensues as Altatar does. He answers but hesitantly as his been wrong about Harquin on many occasions,
"i am over confident"
Harquin only answers with a nod and a smile. Together they watch and occassionly Harquin changes another stones' position and Lord Gunrair obeys them.

It was always thought strange that whenever Harquin turned up in your tent at the eve of battle you would change everything for him even though he holds no title or any postion within the Asur's military. Many trust him and there are those that hate him also. It is rumoured he entered the Chamber of Days but refused to give up his speech saying that to see the evils that will occur and not try to stop them is a form of evil. Do the Phoenix Guard hunt him for the blasphemy or accept it as Asuryan's will? Only Harquin really knows and he may well tell us one day.
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Larose
Chronicler

#4 Post by Larose »

Lol I like these characters, could build for a cool story ... Knowing the future haha keep it up
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.
The Silly Dragon

#5 Post by The Silly Dragon »

The Greenskin war drums, though sounding very odd, were echoeing around the valley. The Asur steadied themselves for the oncomming battle. All had heard of how the warrior seer Harquin had made the battle plan and all were very confident that they were going to not only win but massacre the filth that dared show its face on Ulthuan.

The general Gunrair rode his steed down the ranks of Sea Guard and Swordmasters with a smile upon his face. Their armour was gleaming in the sunlight, their faces wore the determination to win a war and their weapons didn't shake with fear. He was more than pleased with Harquin and the effect that he has when he interferes with a battle.

Lord Gunrair was following Harquin's advice to not give a speech but to just wait out infront of the warhost all alone. Harquin had explained this was to inspire confidence and show no fear to the enemy when they see him. Gunrair liked this idea alot, to have your foe fear you is...empowering at the very least.

Altatar stood shoulder to shoulder at the front of a huge battalion of Sea Guard and even he was impressed with the battle line and the ambush unit ready beyond the south western river crossing. A thought crossed his mind 'how can one defeat an opponent that knows what you will do before you do?'
"No one" he whispered to himself and if any Sea Guard heard they paid him no heed.

"There the enemy approaches! ready yourselves!" Lord Gunrair began a speech even though Harquin had told him not to.
"None shall stand before the Asur, all of you are th..."
"Cover!" A nearby Sentinal shouted but Gunrair in all his foolish confidence did not react fast enough to avoid the hail of black arrows and was cut down infront of all his people.

Altatar watched as Gunrair and his steed fell to the ground with a thud. His armour of little use against the many arrows that now pierced it. Some had hit the shields of Sea Guard who all at once let fly a volley of their own. With greater accuracy they tore down a great number of the Goblins but a bellow from their warboss made them stay.

The High Mage turned to Harquin and mouthed,
"what shall i do now?"
and he calmly replied,
"why lead your warhost to victory, what else my friend?"

The Battleline started to break apart as they started to question if Harquin really was a seer and they were now all going to die. But as panic started to set in Altatar raised his voice,
"My friends stand your ground! Remember why you are fighting! Helms move up the right flank! Guards advance and fire! Swords move to cover and take out those Orcs!"

And so the battle was fought. The Cavalry's rear charge against the enemy lines from the river took all by surprise. The Swordmasters with Harquin leading them tore through anything that dared to stand in their way. New tales of how Harquin could not be hit in combat and was always ready with a counter attack to the enemies weak points grew from this battle. Altatar's rise to be an important part of Ulthuans' defense had started. After the battle was over the Elves stood staring at one another as the Sea Guard readied the corpse of Gunrair for departure. Altatar only spoke one word as they stared,
"why?"
The Silly Dragon

#6 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Its been a year since Altatar's first real battle and still the image of Gunrair falling from his horse followed him. Is it worth the life of a fellow elf to teach another the lesson of not being arrogant? Why has Harquin been involved in his life so far, espeically since he so rarely gets involved directly. What was he up to?
"oh i can't read now" he mumbles to himself as he sits alone in a small study crammed with hundreds of books. The only light from two small candles. Its night time over Ulthuan and he can hear nothing but the gentle crash of waves against the shore.
He closes a book with the title 'future or present which is important?' and walks over to the only window. Moonlight cools his face and he sniffs the air of the sea. Closing his eyes he thinks back to that day.

"why?" Altatar asks,
Harquin only stares at him for what seems like an hour before giving a gentle smile and wandering off into the distance.
Altatar orders the withdrawal to nearby Griffon Gate fortress and as the warhost starts to make their way a lone character watches from afar.

Harquin sees them begin to march back towards Griffon Gate. He grips his Great Sword hard, so hard that his hands start to hurt before he releases his grip and lets it fall to the ground. As he picks it up a drop of water hits the blade and Harquin looks up to see if it should rain but there are no clouds. Touching his cheek he feels wetness from his tears.

Altatar opens the window and a cool breeze fills the room all at once rustling some papers and putting out one of the candles. He looks out across the sea the horizon not letting any morning light through so must still be too early.
"Your preparing me for something aren't you? but why? why me?"
"becuase of your heritage and your destiny" Harquin's voice comes from the open doorway.
Altatar spins round surprised to hear his voice.
"If you really want to know why i let Gunrair die i will tell you"
"you will?"
"yes"
"no holding back?"
"none"
Altatar thinks for a moment moving about the room. Harquin stands by the door, he had his usual armour but no weapon could be seen.
Finally Altatar picks up the book titled 'future or present which is important?' and says simply,
"no i don't want to know"
"as shall it be then i will not tell...my lord"
"so why are you h...Lord?"

It is not a surprise that Harquin turns up in moments like these as the legends say 'he knows when you will think and of what'. In truth only he knows and like the Phoenix Guard he doesn't tell.

Future or Present which is Important? A less than popular book of Elven libraries that talks about the implications of whether one should worry about the day or tomorow that centres around the idea that you should act for today and plan for tomorow. Its author unknown but many copies can be found around Ulthuan and even some in the Old World.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#7 Post by Elithmar »

Very good. I've only read the first part so far, but I do like it. I'll have to read the rest sometime.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Aicanor
Rainbows

#8 Post by Aicanor »

It is not easy to deal with all-knowing characters, is it? :wink: But you manage admirably so far. Keep it up!
The Silly Dragon

#9 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Altatar pours a glass of wine that Harquin had brought as the two sit down by the open window. At first there is only silence as they stare out at the night sky, listening to the waves break against the shore. Harquin sips at his wine but cares little for the bitter taste. An Eagle flies in the distance on its patrol around Ulthuan's inner sea, or maybe on its way to deliver a message of great importance. It passes through some cloud and Harquin can't shake the feeling that it was looking straight at the two of them.

"I hold no property or land to be called a lord, Harquin"
"I do apologise, you see its hard when you can constantly see the future ahead of you. Sometimes its hard to see the present too and events become...confusing".
"wait, so in the future?"
"no don't go there. I will not tell you if that...comment was mean't for you or not"
"i see. You know your sure hard to follow sometimes"
"depends if i want to be followed..."
They stare at each other before bursting out into laughter,
"ah, why was that even funny?" Altatar asks while refilling their glasses
"because my friend you have had too much of this" said Harquin as he stood up showing Altatar his empty glass.
"is it true you can drink a dwarf under a table?"
"no the tables are too small, i don't fit..."
They laugh again and don't realise theres a young Elf in the room beginning to clean up Altatar's desk of books and parchments.

As the two old friends began to tell stories (some were obviously not true like the time Harquin apparantly strangled a Wraith to death) the servant slowly worked his way across the bookshelves dusting as he went along, getting closer and closer to the two, all it seemed was not right.

With the speed of a dragon at full flight the servant drew several knifes and took aim at Harquin and Altatar. The first Knife imbedded itself into the back of Altatar's chair with a thud. Two more found themselves caught by Harquin's steady hands as he jumped out of his chair and threw himself at the assasin. A third pierced his shoulder and a forth grazed past his cheek leaving a barely visible line.

It was all over in a flash and as Altatar rolled out of his seat he saw Harquin dance around the assasin's attacks and slit his throat with one knife and stab at his stomach with the other. The assasin was dead before he hit the floor. Blood started to stain the wood as Altatar watched Harquin fall to his knees dropping both blades.

He rushed over and took his friend by one shoulder and looked into his eyes, pleading for there to be no sign of agony. Harquin reached up for the blade in his shoulder but Altatar grabbed at him and whispered,
"let me get that"

Altatar held the knife with both hands and closed his eyes. Harquin didn't move, only looked on with pride as his friend started chanting a series of old words of power. With eyes still closed and whispering a blessing of Isha between each word of power, Altatar began to move his hands away from the knife which slowly followed seemingly on its own. No blood stained the edge of its sharp surface as it glided through the air away from Harquin. Now his wound bled but not with blood but rather a strange coloured liquid that had a blue look about it. This poison followed the knife through the air like water follows the current of a river. And when Altatar stopped chanting, it and the poison dropped to the floor with a thud and a small splash.

Altatar then cupped his hands over Harquin's wound and whispered one more word of power. Instantly the most purest looking water overflowed from his hands and kept dripping onto the open wound. With every drop the skin mended together alittle more before becoming completly healed.

Harquin rubbed at his shoulder as if checking it was all gone then patted Altatar on his own,
"I knew you could" he said with a smile.

I got a plot ready now and not just random ideas when i listen to music. Trouble is i am not sure if i can continue the whole 'knowing the future' thing. There will be a twist to it though but otherwise its kinda hard to do. Maybe i'll focus of Altatar instead?
Aicanor
Rainbows

#10 Post by Aicanor »

You can have the two only meet on rare occasions. But you could also consider having Harquin lose part of his knowledge and give him only occasional glimpses into the future. Perhaps because he got involved emotionally in Altatar's story. That is not unheard of. Or was it the poison? Or something else entirely? I am looking forward to seeing your
story unfold.
The Silly Dragon

#11 Post by The Silly Dragon »

That sounds like a good idea.

The poison was extracted by Altatar so its not that. I'll let you keep guessing though.
The Silly Dragon

#12 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Altatar kept examining the wound trying to convince himself that all the poison was removed and completely forgetting about the dead assasin on the floor behind him. Eventually Harquin pushed him aside and stood up,
"now to have a little talk with our new friend"
"and how do you plan to do that since his dead?"
"because he isn't..."
"..."
"because you will heal his wounds like you did mine"
Altatar was shocked and stumbled over his words,
"b...but thats not l...like your wound! no not at all!"

Harquin only sat next to the assasin and glanced at Altatar arms crossed as if he didn't even hear him,
"come on before his spirit goes too far"

Altatar shakes his head and begins pacing up and down the room talking quickly to himself,
"but that cannot be done can it? maybe so those necromancers can. Wait i'm not a necromancer! no no no but..."
"you will do this"
"bu..."
"you, will"
Altatar stopped pacing and turned to face the assasin,
"fine but why? what do you want with him?"
"i want him to show me the way"

Altatar kneels by the assasin's head, cups his hands and begins to chant the words of power again. Water overflows and drops down onto the dead Elf's throat. It runs down to his stomach as well and Harquin notices that it does not wet his clothes at all and moves like a snake would. In a minute the two wounds are closed and now Altatar claps his hands twice. At once the water in his hands fills the air around him with a strange but pleasant mist. He gestures to Harquin to hold his breath and does the same.

Harquin looked on at the assasin's eyes and waited, hands ready and his muscles tensed. One breath was taken by the Dark Elf and Harquin grabbed his head with both hands,
"what are you doing?"
"shhh"
Altatar fell silent but picked up the knifes just in case. They felt cold and smelt strange so he threw them into the corner of the room instead.

The Druchii opened his eyes and Harquin snapped his neck with a quick twist. He stood up and massaged his forehead in thought. After a time Altatar asks,
"why did you want me to revive him just for you to kill him again?"
"only the living has a future and i needed to know his if he were to live this day"
"and it was important?"
"everything is, now please be quiet my friend"

Altatar sent word for the body to be exposed of as Harquin stood by the window lost in his thoughts. For a time Altatar left him alone and explained where the body had come from to the tower guards. When he returned Harquin wasted no time in telling him what he saw in the Druchii's future.
"we have to warn the priests then!"
"no it will take too long, you will have to go and warn them in person"
"me? your a better rider than me!"
"no, it has to be you. Get your things and leave for the Shrine of Asuryan"
"but, i'm not ready"
"if your not then they are all dead. It has to be you!"

And with that Altatar took the fastest horse in Saphery and headed for the nearest port to take a ship to the Shrine of Asuryan, birthplace of the Phoenix Kings. It was starting to rain and the dawn was still a few hours away. Harquin watched him go from the white tower and whispered,
"i am so sorry my friend"

Altatar is not a necromancer just a master of the lore of life and what he did was the Regrowth spell (i know it doesn't affect characters but lets say the assasin isn't a character here).
Aicanor
Rainbows

#13 Post by Aicanor »

I was going to guess that it was too much wine, but we'll see. :wink:
Well, this bussiness was not pretty. Couldn't Harquin just read in Altatar's future? And do the priests really need the warning, or something else is in play?
The Silly Dragon

#14 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Harquin is about manipulating the timeline to have a better future for Ulthuan as a whole. Lies and even murder are sometimes needed to influence the timeline enough for a change. But then sometimes its as simple as sending someone somewhere at a certain time...

Could he have read Altatar's future or did he not think about this? No one is perfect. But would Altatar's future have held anything if the assasin was dead? If they didn't bring him back alive how would they know where to go? Its a paradox that is making Harquin a hard character to write for. Or maybe he just wanted to confirm what he already knew?
Larose
Chronicler

#15 Post by Larose »

I really like Harquin, one of those good/bad characters where your not sure if his methods will bring out the best, which if your a bit lost with him I think I might be able to help. Instead of concentrating on what he does see, perhaps look at what he doesn't see, what comes after his interventions that he cant predict. He only gets a piece of the puzzle and certain decisions can bring dire consequences that he may not have wanted. I think things could get really interesting, while Altatar Is the one who can make things right by believing in himself and perhaps just rolling with the punches. Just food for thought :wink:

Aicanor
Rainbows

#16 Post by Aicanor »

So he sees possibilities and has to make some effort to see into the future and his decisions are made on knowledge that may become inaccurate quite easily. Makes perfect sense in the story.

Is this not also the domain of Morai Heg?
The Silly Dragon

#17 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Aicanor wrote:So he sees possibilities and has to make some effort to see into the future and his decisions are made on knowledge that may become inaccurate quite easily. Makes perfect sense in the story.
My brain hurts trying to write this story #-o

Is this not also the domain of Morai Heg?
Thats too much to think about. Just ignore that God for this story! :wink:
Aicanor
Rainbows

#18 Post by Aicanor »

1) Not an easy task, that is for sure.
2) I will. Off record, Morai Heg is the one who spins the fates. The talk of different timelines reminded me of her.

As always, I am looking forward to see where the tale takes us next.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#19 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A fancy way of writing that you're pulling off quite well, Harquin reminds me of an Eldar Farseer.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
The Silly Dragon

#20 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Altatar arrives at the Shrine to Asuryan. The inner sea was unusually rough like it sensed a pivotal moment in time. Morning had broken as Altatar approached the inner chambers where the sacred eternal fires of Asuryan burned. The first of the mornings' young light flooded the windows. He stopped for a moment to take in his surroundings, examining the many paintings that each told of a Phoenix King of old. His eyes moved along them all and his heart raced. Here he stood where so many of their great leaders were reborn. The greatest of them all, Aenerion, also had a statue by the doors to welcome visitors or warn off intruders.

Altatar thought back to the days of Aenarion and Caledor, to how they pushed back the full force of Chaos and felt his spirit fill with pride. But also envy. They were great heroes of old times and he was not. Even Aenarion's bloodline were mere shadows of the full glory of the Asur. He took a deep breath and started further into the chamber. Harquin had said that a great evil was approaching and would the visions he had told of a great fire being put out with magic. When asked if it was dark magic he said that he did not know. As a precaution he sent Altatar to the Shrine of Asuryan. But all was peaceful here and he was the only one except for several Phoenix Guard positioned around the Eternal Flame.

He walked around the chamber for what seemed like a day just examining the paintings and daring himself to get as close of possible to the flames. Everytime he did the Guards would stare at him with grim silence but he understood the warning from the look in their eyes. Sometimes the Phoenix Guard doesn't have to say anything to scare you.

In truth only four hours had passed since Altatar arrived but already he was growing doubtful about Harquin's order. But then a sound of fast approaching footsteps followed by a sound of struggle soon erased any doubt. With a quiet prayer to Asuryan and Isha Altatar readied his staff.

The doors slowly pushed open and two figures entered the main chamber. They were dressed in the priest's robes and did not have any look or feel of menace about them. But as soon as they spotted Altatar they let out a curse of rage and quickly drew hidden blades from under their robes. The Guards quickly stepped in the way and struck out at the intruders. One did a barrel roll narrowly missing the two Halbers aimed for his neck. The other was not quick enough and was cut down, spilling elven blood in this most sacred of places.

Altatar watched this happen and tried to cast a spell to aid the Phoenix Guard but to his surprise the attacker was also a Mage and quickly dispersed the magic energies that Altatar had drawn on. The Dark Sorceror conjured an unnatural amount of pure dark magic and despite his best efforts the Phoeniz Guard all fell to the ground with a clatter of armour and weapons on the stone floor. Now the Sorceror with malice and hate filling his eyes turned his attention to Altatar.

"Guards!" Altatar called out but not response.
"its just you standing in my way" the Druchii snarled at Altatar
"what are you planning on doing here?"
"why should i tell you? your going to be dead soon enough!" and with that another blast of dark magic was summoned and its aim was Altatar.

Remembering all of his training from the loremasters of Saphery, Altatar undid as mush of the magic holding the dark magic together that he could but could not stop it completly as it hit him in the stomach and knocked him off his feet sending him rolling across the floor and his staff out of his hand.

The sorceror cackled as Altatar struggled to catch his breath. As he got to his feet holding his stomach with a hand he realised that he was bleeding. His opponent walked towards the Eternal Flames of Asuryan and from his pocket drew a small container of black liquid. It moved around inside its prison as if alive as the dark elf uncorked it and held it towards the flames.

"No!" Altatar screamed as he lunged towards his enemy making a grab for the small vial.

The two struggled with each other and even though Altatar was injured the sheer adrenaline blocked it out as he fought with this evil soul. Here he was inside the great chambers where all the great leaders of Ulthuan had been made anew, defending them all, past, present and future. Why was he alone in this struggle? Altatar thought to himself as the druchii before him started to get the upperhand.

"you are not alone" a voice unfamiliar to him whispered in his ear and Altatar made a grab for the black vial while summoning as much power as he could from the winds of magic. He threw his opponent against the wall and he fell dead from the impact. For a time the vial seemed out of his reach as it hurtled towards the sacred flames but Altatar made one final jump for it and caught it mid air. But as he landed all the air rushed out of him and he saw his own arm become ungulfed by fire as it passed into the eternal flame.

Silently screaming in agony as he tried to breath in some air Altatar rolled out of the flames and his ontop of his other hand that held the vial. The vial shattered from under his weight and the dark liquid entered through his wound made by the dark magic earlier. The flames continued to burn his arm and threatened to destroy him as he laid there struggling to breath. His vision blurred and his thoughts turned to his death but then he felt a single drop of water fall on his cheek and his vision cleared. He remembered after that he thought he saw the face of an Elven maiden looking down at him and she was crying.

The flames went out and all at once all his pain was lifted and his bleeding stopped. His right arm started to heal all the burns, reknitting the skin before his very eyes. He lay there until he heard running and shouting coming from afar.

"Did that just happen?" he asked himself.

This story is fast becoming about Altatar now. I know this but Harquin isn't the hero here not directly he just influences people to do the right thing (in his mind) and Altatar is his main concern for this moment in time, for his master plan.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#21 Post by Aicanor »

I think this chapter is your best so far. =D>
The Druchii seem to appear wherever Altatar goes. And what consequences will his brush with both flames and darkness have?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#22 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

That just happened! Tears of Isha healing him, nice touch, but did it neutralise the mysterious black liquid?
The Silly Dragon

#23 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Thank you for your comments! They really inspire me to keep writing! :D

As to the flames and dark liquid...stay tuned to find out! (did i just say that? :oops: )
Aicanor
Rainbows

#24 Post by Aicanor »

I guess I will have to stay tuned then. I am very curious about what will happen with Altatar now.
The Silly Dragon

#25 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Harquin had been staring at an empty fireplace for some time lost in his thoughts. He had been crying and numberous books lay acorss the floor, some were torn and others simply thrown down. He had sent his friend to his death this day and it did not feel good. He knew when he started this journey that some hard choices had to be made in order to make his plan work. But to kill the very people who trusted you even if it wasn't you with the blade, surely there was a better way?

A knock came at the door, at first Harquin ignored it but then it came again and again. It was not impatient or urgent knocking, just two casaul taps at a time. A muffled voice came through the wood of the door,
"please let me in"
In which Harquin responded coldly,
"no" then added,
"go away these are not your quarters"
"but they are...Harquin"
The voice was now clear as day as the caller had let themselves in. Harquin jumped out of his chair and stared in awe at the figure infront of him,
"but! but you died!"
"Harquin you can tell the future but you need to work on your past more" Altatar said with a smile. He was looking at Harquin and his face showed for the first time since he met Harquin all those years ago, surprise.
"no you are an illusion! the vision was clear! Fire and Darkness at the point of importance!"
"so you are wrong about two things. I am not an illusion and i am not dead"
"but you should be"
"why?"
"the timeline says so!"
"but our mother Isha thinks that should change"
"what do you mean?"
"i saw her as i was dieing Harquin! She saved me!"

Harquin reached out and grabbed Altatar's shoulder as if checking he was real. Then drawing him close and embracing him,
"i am so sorry"
"don't be my friend i knew who i was dealing with when you first introduced yourself. I agreed to all this"
"thank you"
Pulling away Altatar looks on at Harqiun and both laugh.
"I have to ask though, what will happen now?"
"let me take a look" Harquin says and stares into Altatar's eyes.

A forest is on fire. A pool of water is fast becoming red with blood. A small distinct stoney outcrop overlooks the Glade. Screaming coming from all around. Arrows fly in the air above and it is night. A half moon fills the sky with its light. A staff of gleaming gold stands in the water a sigil of the Phoenix shows brightly in the moonlight. A bloodstained cloth lays beside the staff and an Elven Maiden looks on. As Harquin sees this all in the reflection of Altatar's eyes the Maiden starts to cry and walks into the pool of water until she is gone under its depths and he hears Altatar scream in anger in the distance.

But then an unnatural darkness surrounds the glade and the fires stop. All is quiet except the cries of anger from Altatar. Harquin feels like he is being watched and inside the visions he sees a shadowy figure on the edges of the unknown glade. He cannot make out a face but he sees that it is Elven at least and it is smiling at him.

He pulls away from Altatar as the strain starts to hurt. The visions blur away but some are already bunrt into his view and as he looks back at Altatar he thinks for a second that the shadow is staring back still and pushes him away.
"what? what did you see Harquin?"
"i...i...don't know"
"i have never seen you with fear in your eyes"

It is true that Harquin feels fear and looks away. He has always been good at seeing what his visions mean as he had trained himself for hundreds of years. But this had been one vision he had no idea about and yes this uncertainty, made him fearful. ' whats the next move?' he thinks to himself as Altatar waits.

As always i hoped you enjoyed reading as much as i have enjoyed writing! Please any critisisms are welcome!

I will let you decide now if you want to know more about Altatar's past, Harquin's past, or continue to the next chapter. Basically two prologues are ready.
Last edited by The Silly Dragon on Tue May 01, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#26 Post by Elithmar »

Ha! I like that - great at the future, rubbish at the past. Hehe Silly Harquin.

I'd say Altatar.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Aicanor
Rainbows

#27 Post by Aicanor »

Harquin straying from his chosen path? It will get interesting for sure.
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:I'd say Altatar.
So be it.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#28 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Wondering who the dark character is, but we won't find out until after the prologues are done?
Larose
Chronicler

#29 Post by Larose »

Hmm a dark figure.. Who is also watching.. Perhaps another seer ? :? :shock: .. Perhaps he's evil lol

The Silly Dragon

#30 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Enter Altatar (Prologue)

A crowd was growing in the streets lured by the screams and the fighting. Above the sky was full of dark clouds and passing Harpies. The city of Gar Korund was filled with darkness this night and many of its dwellers now hide inside their homes, awaiting for the fighting to be over yet again. The crowds were of many black clad guards and they were fighting another uprising for this was the land of the Witch King and his Druchii servants. Not all were happy with the way they nlived under Malekith's reign. People pulled out from their beds at night to be sacrificed on the altars of Khaine or assasins dealing with the few that spoke out. A life of constant fear and untrusting people was for some like living in their own personal hell. This was no more true then for a fairly young couple now hiding in the bedroom of their run down home. Only feet away was the fighting of the soon to be slaves and the infamous Black Guard.

"shhh, they will hear you!" the male one whispers while moving what little boxes or furniture they had around them to barricade the door. Past experiences of these uprisings have taught them that sometimes the Black Guard will continue attacking people even if they had nothing to do with the attack, to make a statement in blood. The female was curled up on the small bed sobbing into her arms.
"please if they think anyone is here they will burn down the house just to make sure to get all of them" he pleaded.
"no...no...i..."
"what?!" he whispers sharply while he places the last chair infront of the door and turns to face her.

As she lay there sobbing into her arms he couldn't help but feel angry that she was so weak. They had been living like this all their lives so she should be used to this by now, surely! He walked over to her ready to, well do anything to shut her up. But then she turned her face up to him with her big blue eyes and all the anger and hatred just washed away in an instance and he felt quilty for even thinking he could hurt such a beauty.
"i just don't want this anymore" she whispered tasting her own tears as she spoke.
"i know, i know" he says slowly as he climbs onto the bed next to her and embraces her with one arm while his other strokes her black hair.
"i want a different future for all of us" she says as her tears start to fade away.
"so do i"
"then why do..." she starts
"no!" he interrupts
"why not? its perfect what with the Guards busy!"
"too dangerous!"
"its always a danger here"

She stares into his eyes and the tears start to appear once more. 'Damn it!' he thinks ' she always gets me with those eyes'. He sighs and holds her face gently with both his hands,
"will you be strong enough?"
"i will have to be for us"
Another sigh before he plants a soft kiss on her forehead and gets off the bed. She sits up and watches him move over to the only piece of furniture that he couldn't move infront of the door and opens up the wardrobe. From here he removes a loose plank of wood at the back and reaches inside the hidden slot to find all the equipment he had managed to steal over the course of many years. He had planned to escape every year since he was 60 years old but had never had the courage to. He checks the contents of the bag he kept it all inside, a pair of daggers with a couple of small vials of posion, some coin and a pair of heavy cloaks that would easily hide their faces. This is all he had managed to gather over the years and it fills his heart with doubt once more.
"is it all there?" she asks and now with no sadness in her voice, but maybe hope?
"all here" he whispers back as he turns to face her.

There she stood in all her beauty, how could anyone not love such a being? Every part of her body was perfect from the long legs to her bosoms and her eyes! Even with a bulging stomach she was a goddess in his eyes.
"will you be ok to run?" he asks as he hands her one of the daggers and a cloak,
"not very far but yes i can run"
"you may have to run further for both of you to get away this night"
"we will be fine"
"..."
"we have to be for our child"

Gar Korund sits upon the Black Coast of the Druchii lands and the Great Ocean. As the fighting becomes more bloody two cloaked figures slip out from the back a building just as it was set alight by the Black Guard. They made their way through dark alleyways and made sure to stay inside the shadows.
"only a little way to go for the docks" the male cloak whispered,
"hold..o..on. Let me...get my...breath!"
"we cannot stand idle, the hands of the Witch King himself might see us!"
"no just...wait a...awhile"
"its now or never! i'll carry you if i have to!"
"fine lets j...just go then" she takes a deep breath before started a light job down the alley towards the docks. But as they came to the edge a warrior clad in silver and white robes ran past which made them stop immediatly.
"was that an Asur?" the female asks her companion.
"you know i think it.."
But before he could finish a warning bell started to chime overhead somehwere. 'An invasion? now of all times?' he thinks to himself and curses all the Gods he could name.

A handful of Asur ships each with hundreds of Lothern Sea Guard let loose volleys of Arrows tipped with fire into the Druchii buildings. Their Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers most have been aiming at the bell tower as several huge Bolts slammed into it, tearing it down to nothing but rubble. On the docks a whole battalion of Swordmasters were cutting their way forwards. No Druchii soldier able to stand against such a surprise attack. The Asur were using mists cast by their High Magic to conceal their ships as even now they faded back and forth from view.

The male cloak looked on and realised the ship he had been planning to steal had sunk where it was docked. He cursed the Gods again and wondered what he should do.

Then the female one took off her cloack and threw down her dagger and calmly walked forward towards the Asur lines. A commander came into view and he saw here and rasied a hand. Immediatly the male responded and ran froward to push the pregnant one aside. Just as she fell to the ground the Asur commander dropped his hand down sharply and a hail of white fletched arrows pierced the cloaked figure.

Screaming the pregnant maiden crawled over to him and cradled his head in her arms,
"your ok? Come on now please! say something!"
The Asur commander raised his hand again and the maiden looked at him and screamed,
"monsters! you monsters killed him!"

But as the commander went to give the signal to fire again a hand shot up and grabbed his hand,
"No! she is to stay alive!"
"and we are to kill as many of these as possible as are our orders now hands off me!"
"i cannot let you sire"
"why not?"
"i need what she has!"
They stare at each before the commander sighs and backs away,
"fine but she is your prisoner, Harquin"

She rocks back and forth still holding his head in her arms. Crying more loughly then any woman Harquin has ever heard. It was a sound that tortured his very heart,
"i am sorry, he was of good heart"
"what do you know?" she replies with bitter hatred poisoning her every word
"he sacrificed himself for you and that means he had a good heart"
She stares at Harquin and he tries his most gentle of smiles and it works as the hatred started to disappear from her beautiful blue eyes.
"come with me and i will protect you" Harquin says
"no"
"if you stay you will die and your child will die too! do you want that? for your lover to die needlessly?"
she stays silent for a while lost in thoughts and emotions. Meanwhile the fighting rages on as Druchii reinforements start a counter attack.
"hurry your desicion please we have little time!"
"i will go with you if you take his corpse to be buried on Ulthuan! so he can finally escape"
"so be it" and with that Harquin beckons over a couple of Lothern Sea Guard to carry the corpse as he guides the maiden to the ship, 'Ray of Hope and Dust' as the Asur forces started to withdraw from the counter attack.
"my name is..." she begins and Harquin ends it for her by force of habit,
"...Meliss"
"how did you know?"
"its a gift"

The attack by the Asur forces killed a thousand Druchii and suffered some loses but still enough to make force them into full retreat. The Druchii with all Ships in their docks destroyed could not pursue and had to contend themselves with tortureing the few Asur survivors left behind. Meliss stayed locked in a cell deep in the bowels of 'Ray of Hope and Dust' with Harquin looking over her the whole jorney. When they got back to Ulthuan he took her away from the forces and buried the corpse of her lover in an unknown part of Ellyion's many woods.

Continues...