A new hope!

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

sulannar

A new hope!

#1 Post by sulannar »

Welcome fellow Asur,

I must admit I have been lurking on these forums for a few months now and having gained some new inspiration from many of the fine painters, story tellers and tacticians on this site that have helped me decide to rebuild my old High Elf army from many, many years ago.

This topic shall be the home of my blog with (hopefully) pictures of my army, battle reports and fluff etc. I thought this particular thread seemed like an appropriate place as it shall be the story of my army, its characters, its wins and losses and its adventures. Who knows where this could take me and them!!

So without further ado, let us begin....

The fire had burned down low through the night when Talithar awoke with a start. His body was bathed in cold sweat and his long silver hair hug lank against his scalp. Taking deep, calming breaths he gathered his senses.

The dream had always been the same, he was a child lost in a maelstrom of smoke and fire. The smoke choked his lungs and the heat of the flames burnt his skin. He would try to escape but every direction was barred by a dark, armour clad figure holding a wicked looking sword dripping in some foul substance. As he found it more and more difficult to breath and as the heat of the flames would increase so that his skin would begin to blister, the figure would begin to advance on Talithar, its sword held high. He would try to run but always the figure would be ahead of him. The sword would lick out and a mortal wound would appear on Talithars body. Blood would start to flow, Talithar would fall and the figure would laugh.

Rising from his bed Talithar padded over the the wash basin in the corner of his small bedroom. Splashing water on his face and neck he tried to shake the dream from his head. It was no use, the dream had haunted him for many years now. Sometimes he would go months without having it, other times he would not be so lucky.
Regaining his composure, Talithar looked at himself in the mirror above the basin. He had a strong, angular face which looked older than his 64 years but his pale blue eyes stilled looked bright and fresh. His eyes where drawn to the many scars that adorned his torso, his uncle took training VERY seriously and this had made Talithar strong and fast, but there was one scar that was not from his martial training. A mark which he had been born with, a mark which many elves saw as a curse which is why only his uncle knew of it. The mark of the raven burnt into Talithars chest.

Sighing, he turned from the mirror and looked out of the south window of the wooden house he shared with his uncle and across the valley. The moon has low in the sky and dawn was creeping over the horizon. A soft mist was meandering into the valley and obscuring the pine forest which lay within. Donning some soft, dark leather breeches and a tunic to match from the chest under the window, he moved silently through the house to the front door where he found his knee high leather boots, which he put on, and his bow and quiver of arrows, which he slung over his shoulder. As he opened the front door the cool, crisp mountain air swept over him and calmed his nerves and settling his mind. Shutting the door behind him he set off at a slow run into the pine woods.

As the door had shut Oranus appeared in the main living area in his dark, ankle length robe and watched the young elf set off into the woods from the window. A heavy weight settled upon Oranus' heart. He would have to tell Talithar the story soon, before it was too late...

To be continued!

Hopefully that should wet your appitite. Every battle I take part in will reveal more of the story hopefully giving a running commentary of the army and the battles some narrative which will lend to the story as a whole.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Iem Peishill Koem
Headshot
Ultimate End Times Chronicler

Re: A new hope!

#2 Post by Headshot »

Hey! When is the next installment? =D>

Headshot
sulannar

#3 Post by sulannar »

Hopefully soon, I've just got to try and get my army list sorted and try and find someone for a game (mostly to show me the rules) and then I'll have a good bit more to write about. Sorry. I'm really eager to keep this going too.
Iem Peishill Koem
sulannar

#4 Post by sulannar »

As Talithar and Oranus crested the last rise before they reached the small town of Alamar, where they would trade what they had hunted that summer for winter supplies, they noticed that the town square was crowded and a hub-bub of activity.

"What's going on?" Talithar asked his uncle.

"I'm not too sure," he said, narrowing his dark eyes. Scanning the congregation he spotted an elf which seemed to have hair made of fire and robes made of sunlight they shone so bright. Behind him, standing stock still and to attention, was a regiment of Sea Guard, their polished armour reflecting the light that shone from fire-heads robes, their spears stock straight like a pine forest and their shields where all held at the same height along the line of troops. Perfect discipline. Oranus admired that.

"It looks like the town has visitors. Come, let us see what all the commotion is about." Oranus said as he set off again.

As they drew closer to the town Talithar noticed a line of picketed horses to one side of the square. Talithar could scarce believe the beauty of these steeds. Their coats shone and manes were well groomed. Their eyes glimmered of intelligence as they looked around them. Talithar even thought one winked at him and had to shake the idea from his head.

"Who do they belong to uncle?" asked Talithar

"The Ithiltaen," he answered, without looking around

Talithar was in awe.

"What could such a force be doing in this back water part of Ulthuan?" Talithar pondered to himself. He would soon have his answer, because as they neared the square they could hear the fire-headed elf addressing the crowd.

"Fellow Asur," he said, his voice carrying over the crowd. "I am the mage Thameer and we have been sent here at the request of the noble Sea Lord Aislinn to ask for your aid in the hunt of an evil raiding force of ratmen that has be spotted in the vicinty of this very hamlet!" He paused to allow his words to sink in. A few murmurs of anger came from the crowd. He continued on, "All that we ask from you is that you defend your homeland with the courage you were all born with. For if this threat is not quashed immediately then others may come to believe that our fair and beautiful land is weak and defenceless and would seek to destroy everything we hold dear in our lives."

"Why does the Sea Lord not send a more soilders then?" asked a member of the crowd.

"Because the Sea Lord realises that there is already a force of strong hearts and minds within this very town that could stand against any foe that threatens Ulthuan," replied Thameer with a very slight hint of annoyance.

"I will join answer the call," called a member of the crowd.

"And I," said another.

Soon there where many calls of willing citizens ready to take arms. Some had even gone to don their garb for battle.

"Good, good," said Thameer with a clap of his hands. "And what of you two?" asked the mage looking directly at Talithar and Oranus.

"You seem to have enough soilders ready to fight with you," replied Oranus in a dry tone.

"But you look like one who has seen many battles, judging by the scars that adorn your face and arms." Thameer remarked, taking no notice of the way Oranus spoke to him. "You could prove a valuable asset."

"Indeed I have seen many battles and many brethern slain," Oranus said with a hint of sadness, "I have no wish to see more."

"Indeed, isn't that the wish of all Asur, but what of your young friend here," Thameer said looking at Talithar. "Do you know how to use that bow?"

"Of course. I've had this for many years and have hunted with it since I can remember." replied Talithar.

"Excellent! Then I offer you a place within our ranks young elf. This could be you first chance to defend your motherland and smite the enemies of the Asur!" exclaimed Thameer

Talithars eye brightened at that thought, but his uncle grasped his shoulder tightly and turned him.

"I will not sway your decision in this Tal, but I urge you to think about what you may be about to do. Battle is not a place to be glorified. Do you think you are ready?"

Talithar took several deep, pondering breaths before he answered Oranus.

"Uncle," began Talithar, "My dreams still haunt me and I fear for my life because of them. I fear that they will consume my life and dictate it for me. I am tired of being afraid and tired of being controed by them. I wish to face down my fear like you taught me and choose my own destiny."

"Very well," sighed Oranus, "I will join you but you must promise me that you will stay with the other archers. You are not ready for the throng of close combat."

"Thank you uncle."

"It is settled then," said Thameer clapping both elves on the back. "We march tomorrow at day break. Meet us here ready for the hunt."

Oranus watched the mage walk off and mentally commended the elf on his powers of persusion. He had played on the idea that this was a great call to arms and that every elf here was a hero waiting to be born. Not all heros though, he thought, looking at Talithar. Odd that we should be picked out from the crowd specifically.

In the shadows, off to one side of the town square stood two hooded and cloaked figures. They had watched the whole scene unfold unnoticed.

"Are you sure it is him?" One said to the other.

"No," came the reply, "but we shall find out soon."

This is the prelude to what is going to be my first 500 points of High Elves. The list is going to read:

Mage, Lvl 1
Fire
Jewel of the Dusk
115 pts

10 x Archers
110 pts

10 x Lothern Sea Guard
Full Command
Shields
155 pts

5 x Silver Helms
Shields
115 pts

I think you can tell what sort of tactics I'll be going for. Shoot everything then counter-charge namely! However, I really want to keep the regiments the same, but if there is anything I've overlooked (unit size, full command or not full command, shields or no shields etc..) then I'd be quite happy to hear about it.
Thanks for your time
Sulannar
Iem Peishill Koem
Headshot
Ultimate End Times Chronicler

#5 Post by Headshot »

Hi again Sulannar,

I'm not going to comment on the list, because, well, I'm not qualified! (All I know is Shadow Warriors! :D ). But I will say that if you posted it up in the 'army lists' part of the forum, you would get a lot more traffic than here, and I'm sure a bunch of the veterans would weigh in with tips and tricks.

The other thing is.... (ahem, not sure of the forum rules about this....) but you may want to check out universal battle dot com in terms of trying to get some practice games in. Just a heads up.

I like the story. I like the direction. And I like the 'grittiness'.

One thing that I was wondering about - and we probably will need a loremaster for this - is the age issue. For some reason (and I have no idea why), I fixed the first century as being sort of the marking point of an Asur into adulthood. So I imagined say a Tarabeth at just over a 100, as being 15-16ish in human years. But your hero is 64 (I think?). How old do you imagine him (in human years)? Just wondering, so I can help to imagine the story.

Anyways, I look forward to it continuing!

Headshot
sulannar

#6 Post by sulannar »

@ Headshot

Thanks for the advice. I will also have a look at this website but don't worry the secret is safe with me! :wink:

Also, I guess my hero would be (in human years) 19/20 years old. How old would you reckon that makes him in elf years? I can always change it and thanks for noticing. To be honest I wasn't too sure about the age thing anyway.

If you notice anything else that might need changing just let me know. Thanks.

I'm off to read the next part of your story!!

Sulannar
Iem Peishill Koem
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#7 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

You should have linked to here in the lists topic =P

Not much room in the fluff for many other units than what you have, other than Spears, maybe Shadow Warriors or Ellyrian Reavers.
Okay with a play around in AB:

lvl1 Mage(Fire), Silver Wand. [Fire is a cheap lore and having more than one spell will be handy]
10x Archers. [Fundamental for your story]
14x SpearElves. [Seaguard give their bows to the villagers, so they are armed]
5x Silver Helms. [Ship crew]
1x Great Eagle. [It's a High Elf army, of course there's an Eagle]

501 Points. It's not going to be great, and you are going to struggle against just about everyone, but it's fluffy and that's all that matters. It's better than the 500p version of my Hawkship list ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
sulannar

#8 Post by sulannar »

@ Tiralya

I did try to link it but I'm not too sure if it worked :oops:

I like that list, especially the great eagle so I might try and re-jig it a bit to include that.

Thanks for the advice though
Iem Peishill Koem
Malossar
Something Cool

#9 Post by Malossar »

Im pretty sure in the shadow king it states that coming into manhood was at the age of 30.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
sulannar

#10 Post by sulannar »

Brilliant! Cheers for that!

For those who are interested:
There will be more of the story coming soon. Just need to get my models painted, have a battle and take it from there.
Iem Peishill Koem