D&D In the old world

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Joaco

D&D In the old world

#1 Post by Joaco »

Hi guys, me and my friends are starting a new D&D campaing that ocurs in the Warhammer fantasy world.
I want to play a High elf wizard. Im thinking on how his personallity would be, knowing that I will share party with
a dwarf and a human. I dont know how to role about that, high elves are arrogant and tend to think that other races are
infirior and dispensable. So how can a high elf share party with them and still feel disgusted, without a big mission that requires their union.

So if you have any ideas that could help to form his personality I would apreciate it! :D
Aerendar Valandil

Re: D&D In the old world

#2 Post by Aerendar Valandil »

I'd say it's no problem. However, if you're not just using the map and really want top play in the Warhammer World atmosphere, I would say Elves should be more arrogant and more gritty than D&D elves: champions of law and perhaps an abstract sense of good, but less forgiving, less gentle, less humane. D&D always had a more positive, good-vs-evil high-fantasy approach than Warhammer. Law is less necessarily good, chaos is more seductive than evil, more omnipresent, more encroaching and more contageous. The world should be less heroic, more real-life with its greytones and scents of decay. And probably more deadly and less forgiving.

P.S. I can really advise the Warhammer RPG books and the old editions of WHFB. Especially during 4th and 5th the WH world the dirtier aspects have been toned down a bit, making the WH world more herioc and less gritty, probably to avoid deterring parents of younger adolescents to start gaming. Older edition stuff really as a more dented edge.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, it might depend on how your group interpets the setting Joaco.

High Elf stories are full of characters dying for humans though. Finrod Felagund, Yrtle for example. They might see themselves as more civilized but there's a very strong strain of duty and protectiveness running through. It's like the Dragon Princes fluff in the HE army book. If you think you're the best you damn well step up and prove it.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

That's probably the approach I'd take as well.

Also, you can add in a bit an approach of a parent towards a very young child. Depending a bit on the age of the elf you're playing of course. But a 200+ elf will probably act as if he has seen everything and experienced everything already, while a human or dwarf are seen as a young kid venturing out into the world for a first time. So, a lot of (mental) hand holding etc.

Consider that an elf will probably treat humans and dwarves (as a race at least) differently. Humans are upstarts, susceptible to chaos with no history behind them but they can be useful and have proven themselves to be allies at times. Dwarves on the other hand have too much history with elves and thus are not to be trusted and should know better.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.