Storm Over Ulthuan

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

Storm Over Ulthuan

#1 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Well, we've lost a lot of what we had, which is a massive pain in the posterior, but thanks to the summary on www.rpg.freewebsitehosting.com you can still check where we're up to. Of course, it needs to be updated a bit - I have exams over the next three weeks, which is going to cut down my involvement a whole heap. But we can still move on.
Everyone in Storm, please post here to say you're still present! Once that's done, we can keep going.
Last edited by Calarion Sapherior on Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2 Post by Etherion Fenix »

The bow of Aruthan Shadowbane still seeks to end the life of many in the Druchii horde.:wink:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Crazylisk

#3 Post by Crazylisk »

I finally found these new forms. Hmm rather annoying that they lost all posts and users details :( .

Now off to find my head.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#4 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

If you want them I still have the last page....
Anarion
The White Lion

#5 Post by Anarion »

I'm still here.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#6 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Well, the RPG is safe! It's all there, though I'll see if we can find some way to ship it over. And I hope we hear from Elthair and Snake soon - Elthair probably just needs a reminding, but I dunno about Snake...
Elthair
Lord of the Eagles

#7 Post by Elthair »

Yes i am still here, i had read this too, i just figured i could start posting when we actually started again :)
~ I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#8 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

THE STORY SO FAR (Abbreviated)
Following the attack at Anlec, our heroes fled to the manor of Calaidan Coraith, with the assistance of the Shadow Warriors and their leader Enthardon. Following a Dark Elven attack, Enthardon has been gripped by nightmares and is setting out to the Annulii Mountains, accompanied by you. The answer will change Ulthuan forever...

The air is colder here, in the early dawn as you slowly ascend the heights of the Annulii foothills. Turning your head and gazing over your shoulder, you can see Nagarythe spread out below you, beautiful and pristine. The incongruity between the loveliness of the land and the horror of the unending war makes your breath catch in your throats, but you press on. Enthardon is ahead, stumbling up the steep slope heedless of the world. He is barely himself, and seems as one possessed. He also seems tireless in his pursuit of the strange, unknown quest - but what he hopes to find here, or what the cause of his nightmare was, you do not know.
Wearily you stumble onwards and reach the summit of the hill. It descends before you into a deep gully, before rising again as a sheer cliff-face. At least the way is downhill now...you stumble after the Shadow Prince and reach the bottom of the cliff. Enthardon barely stops, but begins to climb immediately, slowly ascending heedless of his safety...
Crazylisk

#9 Post by Crazylisk »

Watching as Enthardon starts climbing the cliff, Talos starts removing the rope from his shoulder while shaking his head. Once again it's up too him to get everyone up the cliff face.

He ties one end of the rope around his waist, and starts climbing up the cliff face.
"Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is forgiven." - Alith Anar, the Shadow King
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#10 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Gritting his teeth, Talos begins the ascent. Almost immediately his hand slips from its hold, and he slips, ripping his hands raw until he manages to wedge himself into position. Hissing softly from the pain, he collects himself and then scrambles upwards, but slower and more cautiously this time. He is nearly at the top when he realises his dilemma - he has run out of handholds. There is one, just up, out of reach...he stretches up, ever so slooooowly, and puts his hand on it...
There is the sound of breaking rock as the hold disintegrates in his hand, and Talos moves as fast as possible to secure his other hand. Now he hands from the cliff by one hand, his feet jarred loose and his other hand hanging impotently at his side. He is slipping.
But then his right hand manages to find a position, and he pulls himself to safety. From there, the rest is easy. Enthardon has already reached the top and with a blank gaze never shifting from the path in front of him continues moving straight ahead. Talos suddenly notices a minute detail - Enthardon never put his gloves on before climbing. His hands are stained red from lacerations from the climb
Crazylisk

#11 Post by Crazylisk »

Talos looks around for a place to tie the rope up so the others can get up the top, finding a suitable rock he ties the rope and then yells down to the others that it's safe to come up.

He keeps hold of the rope, just to make sure that it can't come lose. There is little he can do to fix up Enthardon's hands, but once the others make it up someone will be able to take care of things.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#12 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Getting a good grip on the rope Avel began his ascent. Climbing without any problems Avel was nearing the top of the cliff when his feet lost their grips and flew out from underneath him leaving him hanging, gripping the rope with all his strength. Managing to get one foot onto the cliff, however there was no other footholds. Avel manages to make the last leg of the ascent with his arms and a leg. Collapsing once free from the edge of the cliff, noticing Entharadon's hands, Avel gives Talos a puzzled look, Talos merely shrugs in return.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#13 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Anarion takes hold of the rope and attempts to climb. However, the big elf is not as limber as the others and initially struggles for some time before managing at last to ascend and reach the top. Aruthan comes next, and he shimmies swiftly up the rope to the top of the cliff without any problems. Finally Sparda takes the rope, which stretches threateningly under his bulk, for he is the heaviest of you with his armour, weaponry, and sheer bulk. Sparda reaches the top without too much difficulty though.
Elthair
Lord of the Eagles

#14 Post by Elthair »

The Sapherian mage has more problems: his dress isn;t the most comfortable clothing for climbing and his staff makes it even more difficult for the mage. However, slowly but surely he makes his way up the cliff without falling...
~ I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#15 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Now everyone is at the top of the cliff, you hurriedly retrieve the rope and then jog after Enthardon, who is quite far ahead now. You are still constantly moving uphill.
And then Enthardon disappears from sight, and as you hurry forward, you see why. A narrow gorge splits the way ahead of you, with a swift-running river at the bottom. Enthardon has already begun numbly to climb down the side of the gorge, clearly intending to swim the river and climb up the other side.
This time, though, the climb is too difficult for Enthardon in his current state. He slips and falls, down into the white-capped torrent of water...
Crazylisk

#16 Post by Crazylisk »

Talos mutters a long string of curses as he sees the new prediciment Enthardon has gotten them into. Once again removing the rope from his shoulder, Talos ties it around a rock, and prepares to descend down the cliff face.

"Calderian you stay up here and hold the rope, while the rest of us head down and try get Enthardon out of the water. Once down there we'll tie the other rope around someones waist and have them swim out and get Enthardon. Then we'll try pull them both out of the water."

Before waiting for a reply Talos starts descending down the rope, thinking about what else they will need to do. If they can managed to get Enthardon out of the river they will need try and keep him dry, and that can only mean one thing. Fire. Talos mutters another nice string of curses thinking about letting the mage have a small fire, even if it was for Enthardon.

Then they'd have to find some way to make sure that Enthardon wouldn't go running off like this again. Maybe tie him up some how?
Anarion
The White Lion

#17 Post by Anarion »

Anarion started to follow Talos but then stopped. If they weren't quick enough they would not get down in time to rescue Enthardon from the river. Thinking quickly he looked downstream to where the river bent away from them. Maybe if he cut the corner he could get downstream ahead of Enthardon. But there would have to be an easy way down to the river. It was a gamble but he knew he should take it.

Quickly he explained his idea to his nearest companion, the Yressian, Avel. Then without waiting for a reply he sprang away downhill.

If Talos and the others did manage to rescue Enthardon he would have to track his way back to this point and catch up with them.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#18 Post by Etherion Fenix »

The actions of Lord Enthardon were beginning to become almost suicidal in nature. Once they had rescued him from the river he would need to be delt with.
Aruthan deftly sprinted after Talos hoping to help in some fashion.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#19 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Everyone springs into action as Enthardon falls. There is a splash and a fine spray of water as he hits the surface, bobs slightly, and then begins to be swept downstream. Talos loops the rope under his arms, and then begins the descent as quickly as possible, not caring if he slips a bit as he is firmly anchored at the top.
But the most direct is Anarion. He sprints down towards the bottom edge of the ravine, and then dives in, before Enthardon. Somehow keeping afloat, he seizes the Shadow Warrior as he limply washes past, and then wrestles him ashore, and himself after the Shadow Prince, a fair way downstream of where you are. You hurry down to where they are, on the other side. Here the river is shallower, though not exactly fordable. The trials of nature persist - how to cross? You might be able to jump, or maybe swim across where any of you able. There is also a tall tree nearby, but none of the branches really extend far enough across the river to swing across or climb.
Crazylisk

#20 Post by Crazylisk »

Talos watched as Anarion was able to safely bring Enthardon out of the stream, the only problem was that they were now on the other side of the stream. If they'd done things like Talos had suggested everyone would on the same side of the river, but noooo the White Lion had to rush off and stuff everything up.

Talos looked at the distance between the two banks, and worked out it would be possible to throw the rope across. It would help if he had something to weigh the rope down a bit, looking around he decided one of the branches of the nearby tree could be of use.

Angrily drawing one of his swords, he walked over and started hacking off one of the smaller branches. It felt quiet good imagining the branch was the white lions head. After a little while he finally got the branch free, and tied it to the rope.

"Anarion catch this, and then once you've got hold of it pull me across. Once I'm across we'll send the rope back to the other side, and then drag across the rest one by one." Talos said as he sent the small branch flying across the river, he was aiming for one of Anarion's feet hoping to teach the white lion a little lesson.
Anarion
The White Lion

#21 Post by Anarion »

Anarion grinned amicably at the angry shadow warrior. He sensed Talos' frustration at being upstaged and his anger at not thinking of a better idea than climbing down a rope when a fast flowing river would have swept Enthardon away long before he made it down.

He dodged as an altogether too accurately thrown branch with a rope tied to it was thrown across to him.

"If you'll remember, Enthardon was trying to cross the river when he fell in, so we are on the right side and you need to come across to here. I'm not sure what you are complaining about. And send Aruthan first as he seems to have some healing abilities. Enthardon needs aid."

Anarion took a firm hold of the rope. "Come on."
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#22 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Using the rope and the piece of wood, it's easy to allow people to swim/be pulled over, and before long everyone is wet and cold, but at least on the right side. Enthardon's condition is not severe - yet. He's very cold, and is cut from rocks all over his hands and has gashes on other places. Aruthan binds these up as much as possible while the rest of you restrain the Shadow Warrior. He struggles, but is too weak to resist your ministrations.
But, the question arises, now what? It's only a matter of time before Enthardon walks off a cliff or something, and then it's all over. And everyone is quite cold...what now?
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#23 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"We are in no condition to travel and we need to find some way to stop the Lord Enthardons endless wandering." Aruthan pondered for a second.
"It will be risky, but i believe we need to set up camp and light a fire to warm the Lord," shaking his hand vaguely at the Caledorian, Sapherian and Yvressian, "as well as you others i suppose." With just enough disdain on his voice when speaking the last part of his sentence.
"Perhaps tying Lord Enthardon to the larger mass of Sparda will keep him on a leash. At the least we will have more control over were he is going."
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#24 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

I agree, a fire and camp are necessary, but we should at least attempt to look for a more sutiable area to do so...
Last edited by Bob of Beleriand on Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#25 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Aruthan eyed Avel fiercely. "I was not suggesting we sit down here and sing songs round a camp fire. Of course we should head towards a more appropriate site and make preparations."
Aruthan took a calming breath and continued. "Though first, should we not tie our errant Lord to Sparda as i suggested?"
Crazylisk

#26 Post by Crazylisk »

Talos looked rather annoyed when it was mentioned that a fire should be lit, but he didn't say anything it against it.

"I suggest we also bind Enthardon's hands, so he won't be able to cut the rope. Anyway let us find a suitable camp site." he said stomping off.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#27 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Aruthan noticed the annoyance in his fellow Shadow Warrior. "I know that you do not favour a fire, but i do not suggest it lightly. Lord Enthardon and the others who have become wet will need to dry out. I do not want to see a repeat of our circumstances while journeying to Lord Calaidans mansion."
Crazylisk

#28 Post by Crazylisk »

Talos turned to face Aruthan, it wasn't just the fire that had him in a bad mood, it was also that the white lion was right, not that Talos would ever admit it, the saphery mage despite his silence, and Enthardon trying his best to get everyone killed.

"These fools are going to get me killed." was Talos' simple reply, he was careful not to mention any names, as currently Enthardon was included under the list of fools.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#29 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Aruthan thinks quickly, but he cannot remember a location near here which would be good to stop in. As you tie the nearly completely sonambulant Shadow Prince to Sparda (he keeps trying to walk, even though he is unable to) and Anarion takes the lead, looking for a secluded location. You find one: there is a narrow path along the river side, leading into the ravine, and there you find a space large enough to camp. It is getting dark anyway, so you light the fire and settle down. Is anyone doing anything else?
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#30 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

"I'll take first watch..." glancing at Aruthan with barely veiled contempt
Last edited by Bob of Beleriand on Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.