Court of the Phoenix King

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

#1 Post by Aicanor »

The idea is to present political, martial and cultural themes and discuss them from elven point of view.

This thread has no given story line so it will stay open for anybody interested in politics of the Phoenix Crown.
Anyone who wishes to enter the Court or make a request to the Court should post an application to the aside thread below and I will link it here.

Aside thread for this thread where all non-RP comments, applications and requests should go: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 52&start=0.

Application form for the role playing purposes:

Name:
Kingdom (or colony for the outlanders):
Titles:
Appearance:
Alignment is not necessary :wink:

Topic currently discussed: Monstrous creatures in the Annulii
Last edited by Aicanor on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Court of the Phoenix King

#2 Post by Aicanor »

Members of the court:

Prince Deral Lionbane of Chrace
Head of House Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone, Warden of Tor Charta
(Luna Guardian)

Archmage Altatar of Saphery
The Phoenix Envoy, Keeper of Sapherys' Mark
(The Silly Dragon)

Prince Laicamir Ilsinwe of Tiranoc
Archmage, Prince, Lord of Tor Lossaurel, Warden of Tiranoc
(Laicamir)

Prince Anaril Starseeker of Caledor
Archmage, Prince of Caledor
(draxynnic)

Prince Izen Shadowstar of Nagarythe
(Shadow Star)

Prince Elessehta Silverbough of Yvresse
Lord of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Archon of Tor Yvresse
(Elessehta of Yvresse)

Prince Karalael Moonsinger of Saphery
Mage-Prince of Saphery, The Amber Wolf, Warden of Tor Lupa
(Karalael Moonsinger)

Shannar, Sealord of Eataine
(Shannar, Saelord)

Coradon Lorelian of Ellyrion
Prince of Tor Elyr
(Coradon Lorelian)

Princess Aicanor Nenuvar of Saphery
Princess of House Nenuvar, ruler of Tor Irian, member of the High Council of Saphery
(Aicanor)

Linked to short stories of the characters.

Last edited by Aicanor on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#3 Post by Aicanor »

Index

Index of topics discussed will come here, if we ever get to the point when we need one.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#4 Post by Aicanor »

Soft sound of the bells announces the change of hour and the elves in the antechamber somewhat reluctantly leave food, drink and heated discussions behind for it is time. The door open and they step inside the hall. After the splendor and comfort of the antechamber the hall looks quite plain. The walls are covered with age darkened tapestries and even the circle of wooden chairs in the middle of the hall breathes ancient at the entering elves. Only the banners in colours of Ulthuan's kingdoms look new and untarnished. High at the distant wall of the hall large likeness of The Phoenix gazes down at his children. High throne under it is empty - the King is not present.
Deral and Anaril enter first, still deep in discussion about Human Empire's strengths and deficiences, and Caledor Dragontamer's achievements. Anaril apparently oblivious to the expression on Prince Deral's face that is somewhere between amusement and frustration.
Laicamir and Aicanor are talking passionately about properties and right pricing of some obscure Cathayan herb. Altatar stares gloomily at the floor, deep in thought. Izen Shadowstar goes straight to his seat under the banner of pure white - colour of Lileath.

When finally all present are seated, Aicanor raises to her feet. "My Lords and Ladies," she begins slowly, watching the gathered nobles and waiting for them to give her their attention.
"I speak today for the High Council of Saphery. The mountain lords are worried by increasing number of twisted creatures coming down to the valleys. Winged Stalkers are abound again and others I won't talk about now. Even ghostly mist wolves were spotted south of the mountains. We haven't seen such increase in their numbers for three hundred years. It is too early to tell what caused their unrest, whether the net of waystones was disturbed somewhere or the Chaos winds are blowing strong again. We therefore request assistance and information from the noble audience gathered here to deal with thus matter." She looks around the hall once again and sits down with soft rustle of silks.
Laicamir

#5 Post by Laicamir »

Laicamir looks up and considers this for a moment, while remaining seated he says "Surely we must discover the root of this problem, these could well be the signs of a greater malison which could have potential daemonic roots." Pausing to think for a moment he adds "However chariots are of no use in mountains so I don't think aid should come from Tiranoc."
[color=#400080]'What errand have you, Dark Elf, in my lands?' - Curufin[/color]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#6 Post by Aicanor »

My esteemed friend, you are quite right. The White Guard of Saphery can deal with the incursions. It is the wider perspective on which I seek your expertise.
Laicamir

#7 Post by Laicamir »

Laicamir thinks for a moment, rising from his chair and pacing behind the table "In the records are there any mentions this happening before, in particular when the winds of the north blew strongly? What was the circumstance
three-hundred years ago?"
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#8 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ele, speaks from the doorway, "Sightings of Iron Wolves have increased in the forests of Yvresse, they appear to have been pushed out of their dens in the foot hills, many young have been seen with the packs."
Taking his seat in the circle, "I haven't sent the hunters up high enough to see what has displaced them, but it must be serious, the hills still echo with howls..."
Whispering to himself, "Could the mist wolves of the Isle moved to the Annuli...?"
Speaking up again, "I'll send word to Ohta'relen to order the hunters higher into the foothills, and take Vanyion too, if they're to be fighting creatures of the mist, some magical support will be necessary."
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Laicamir

#9 Post by Laicamir »

Laicamir Stands and bows slightly to the Archon "Greetings my lord, I hope your presence shall bring clarity to this council" at this Laicamir resumes his seat "What can you tell us about these wolves?"
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#10 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Addressing the Lord of Tiranoc, "I first came across them during the ancient Yvressi right of passage, almost a century ago, on the Isle of Avellion."
"They were attacking a young griffon when I came across them, I tried to defend her, but my spear passed straight through them. One turned on me, and I fell back under an old tree. I defended myself with the first thing in reach, a bough that was lying at my feet. It was made of pure Ilithmar, and when it connected, it more than passed through the beast, it dispersed it."
"The bough rests on the mantel at home, and from it I gained my first title, the SIlverbough."
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
draxynnic

#11 Post by draxynnic »

Anaril looks thoughtful. "The dragons have been restless of late - the younger dragons have been easier to rouse, while some the elders have shifted in their sleep when they had not been observed to do so for centuries. In itself this would be good news - but if it's some change in the world's flows of magic causing them to stir, it may also be rousing worse elsewhere. It may simply be random chance, but if it is not, I find myself hoping that it is that the waystone netwoek has been disturbed. A few toppled waystones are relatively easy to right, but if this is the first signs of something bigger..." Anaril spreads his hands theatrically.

"Has there been anything else unusual lately that may be connected - earthquakes or unnatural storms, for instance? And have you been able to send scouts to check on the sites of waystones in the lower mountains?"
Laicamir

#12 Post by Laicamir »

Laicamir's pauses in his pacing "If the creatures are the result of a disturbance to the waystones, then what destroyed the waystones? If that is the cause of this I fear that something very sinister may be at work?" Laicamir thinks for a moment "My home is in the mountains and I have noted none of these creatures, I feel the problem may be more isolated, a storm of magic perhaps?" Laicamir shivers a little and takes his seat again.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#13 Post by Aicanor »

The last time this happened it was in the foreve of Malekith's invasion. The creatures then reached even the sea coast of Saphery. This occurence is not nearly as bad but we do not think it should be ignored.
We do not know yet what is the cause of these disturbances. Waystones of Saphery are well tended and the Council didn't find any immediate cause of the problem. We are of the opinion that the disturbance is something that comes from the mountains themselves or perhaps of a larger scale. That is why we see the need to gather information from other parts of Ulthuan or even abroad.
Lord Anaril's observations are indeed some indication that may be the case.

I thank you, Lord Silverbough, for your help. Indeed, we could find some answers high in the mountains. The passes were still nigh impassable when I left Saphery, but the situation might have changed as spring is coming.
These wolf specters were not sighted in Yvresse lately? We have records of some sightings in older days but this indeed seems ominous.
Last edited by Aicanor on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#14 Post by Luna Guardian »

Sitting beneath the green, gold and white banner of Chrace, Deral Lionbane chuckled despite himself "Importing Chracian experiences now, are we? If you wanted to experience these beasts all you had to do was visit" The young lord of Lionstone then grew more serious, although a smile still lingered on his lips. "These reports would coincide with news my hunters and scouts bring me. Although it is never unusual to see monsters coming down from the Annulii mountains or dwelling deep in the forests, the numbers of white lions, dire wolves and cocatrice amongst others has noticably increased" he leaned forwards to address Anaril "It is known that these creatures are all magical in their nature and thrive and are affected by the nature and strength of the winds of magic. If their numbers and ferocity increase, that is definitely not a beneficial sign. While I would be glad if my Caledorian brothers could take to the skies once more, who's to say that the dragons that awaken are the same that went to sleep so very long ago?"
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
The Silly Dragon

#15 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Altatar takes his east and immediatly notices that no banner is held above his appointed place in the council chambers. Disrespect it seems but it is earned at least as he does infact have no place of origin and there already sits a representative for Saphery with higher authority. He takes in his surroundings and pours himself a glass of water to sip as he listens with his eyes closed to the discussions around him. His mind notes key words and he starts to ponder the discussion with himself before communing with the others as he always awaits to be hailed before making comments as his words are not always well received.

He wonders if the creatures are due to waystone interference which could be as his recent travels to Athel Loren had him witness the construction of two new waystones there but they were minor and only cause to affect the forests magic.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Aicanor
Rainbows

#16 Post by Aicanor »

Aicanor didn't miss the ghost of smile on Deral's lips. She stood again, blue and gold of the banner hanging over her head reflected on her gown.
"Your lands are harsh, Lord Lionbane," she said. "We of the soft south are not used to such... intrusions." True, it was very rare to meet a mantichore or other such monster in the mountains between Yvresse and Saphery, but there was a food reason why Sapherian princes seldom asked other kingdoms for help other than gathering information. Axes were not able to solve every problem, although admittedly they could be very useful at times.
She was quite surprised and pleased by young Yvressi Prince's gratious offer for help and not a little worried by his words.
She paused in her speech, pondering what to say next. Her gaze fell on the elf sitting gloomily on her right. She did speak for the council of Sapherian princes. There was no ruling prince in Saphery since Thyriol died and the High Council was established to rule in those (very few) matters Sapherians felt needed to done for benefit of all. She didn't speak for the White Tower. She would like to have support from that side as well but didn't dare to ask after their heated dispute earlier in the day.

"So there are some signs of stronger magic influence in other parts of Ulthuan then?
We would be aware of such disturbances as magic storms. It is the complete lack of any portents of such occurence that is so worrisome. It may be a mere coincidence, but I do not believe so. It is quite possible the cause for this can be found somewhere else."
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#17 Post by Luna Guardian »

Deral nodded to Aicanor, both in recognition and apology "I meant no disrespect by my jest my lady, I am well aware of the skill of your defenders and have the greatest respect for it." The lord of Lionstone turned to Elessehta and winked "You my friend on the other hand, require another shipment of Chracian steel?" he asked, referencing a time when he had sent aid to the young lord's father. "I am afraid I am not the person most suited to solve the cause of this disturbance in the flow of aethyr. If any of you need help in dealing with the monsters that these times see spawning I will lend my aid, but I am afraid that finding the cause for this phenomenon lies with those of you more experienced in the arcane arts"
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#18 Post by Aicanor »

Nothing to forgive, lord Deral, even we know the value of good steel. Or keen eyes of your people.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#19 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The axes sent to my father all those years ago are still in fine working order great lion.
The order of the Iron Wolf owes it's beginnings to you.
Shadow star

#20 Post by Shadow star »

Izen rises and lifts his hand. "We are a people who excell at skirmishing - a skill that is faveourible in the mountains. We are few but you have what support we can spare. Of that I give my word."
[i]The shadow of war is cast long in the dying light of peace.[/i]
Laicamir

#21 Post by Laicamir »

"I shall have my soldiers push further into the mountains, just because I have seen no monsters does not mean they are not present. If hte dragons are being affected then we must find the cause of this, it appears to be an issue of great magnitude."
The Silly Dragon

#22 Post by The Silly Dragon »

"for everyone's nobility and *ahem* apparant expertise the best solution those of current company have made is to meet the problem with steel" Altatar finally bursts but it was not directed at anyone as his eyes remain shut and he takes another sip of his water.

"So creatures have been sighted for this is certain as reports are so very rarely...inaccurate. Then of course is the disturbance of magic, while yes the current winds are blowing stronger and more, how shall we say? randomly? yes i think that suits it well. But magic has always played a different game then that of the world's rules. Many times the winds have behaved irrationally but this time creatures such as, what did he call them? ghost wolves? have become more apparant".

He stops briefly as if to think for a moment.

"so yes i agree then that further investigation is needed or better yet required and more so by those that wouldn't just cut them down, no, we need to study and to learn as to why. I further the question to those in company, I suppose i could accompany an expedition personally if that is even wanted. But truly the question here lies, have they any mutations?"
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#23 Post by Luna Guardian »

Deral smiled warmly at Elessehta Silverbough "Think nothing of it friend, it was the very least I could do" he said before turning to Altatar "I am no mage or scholar, I am a warrior. I will share my knowledge and my modest wisdom, but I believe the best contribution I can give to our current problem is the might of Tor Charta. Tell me, do these beasts not cause a threat to our people? Or would you rather not dispatch skilled hunters and experienced warriors to fight them and let the citizens fend for themselves? Hunts do not always have to end in death, as the war lions of Chrace prove"

The Silly Dragon

#24 Post by The Silly Dragon »

"The war lions become either pets to you or clothing accessories if you don't put them to the sword, sorry axe" Altatar still has his eyes shut. "To answer the question huntsman i would rather study the creatures as to discern a way to stop them from appearing again thus not just putting an end to the problem for today but for the next as well, it is shortsighted as always to think of only the current problem, mayhap they are fleeing from a greater evil up in the mountains? or mayhap they are being led or coerced into their actions? we don't know and to chop their heads off is a sure way to solve immediate problems but it wont solve the future problems".

He now opens his eyes but doesn;t look at anyone only to look up at the empty space of where a banner would normally go. For a moment Altatar felt longing and sadness but then nothing as he knows his place in Asur society.
draxynnic

#25 Post by draxynnic »

Anaril raises an eyebrow towards Deral. "That is of course a concern, given the fate of Galrauch, but we have seen no signs of Chaos corruption in the dragons. Not all living creatures that thrives best when the Winds of Magic blow strongly are malign - dragons, the forest spirits of Avelorn and Athel Loren, the messengers of Asuryan, and some of us believe we Asur are ourselves creatures that thrive best when magic is strong - although of course it is best for us for the magic to be in its refracted state, while monsters and the children of Chaos thrive best where Dhar blows strongly.

"While Altatar's outburst is unseemly, though, he has a point. I am sure the Sapherian militias can defend their people against attacks, our true concern is to find out why the attacks are happening and whether they may be heralding something worse, up to and including a major Chaos incursion. Capturing some of the beasts for study would be one place to start, but I think we would learn more by finding out just what is happening in the peaks. I can see three avenues of approach for this - a scouting party on foot, by air, and by magic. Each has its advantages... and risks."
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#26 Post by Luna Guardian »

Deral cocks an eyebrow in mild amusement "And I suppose you would study these creatures from your tower, never laying an eye on an actual subject? I may not be a mage, but even I know that studying something is usually more fruitful if you have something to study"

He then turned to Anaril "It is not the strength of the winds that has me worried, for we could use more of that to be certain. The nature of the aethyr however is of more concern. Strong winds by themselves do not harm our kind or any of the others that you mentioned Lord Starseeker, but if these winds are malignant what they can do to those more closely linked to them is a worrying thought. The signs are not benevolent, that is certain, and a Chaos incursion is very much a possibility."

Laicamir

#27 Post by Laicamir »

Laicamir gives a brief glare to Altatar " I said I would send my soldiers, I never said it was my intention to kill the creatures."
Aicanor
Rainbows

#28 Post by Aicanor »

"These spectral wolves, mist wolves, are probably not 'alive'. Can they even be 'killed' then?' Aicanor mumbles to herself but the silence in the hall is so profound everyone can hear.
"No matter," she mutters. If you are willing to help us investigate the matter, Saphery can send mages who studied these things to assist you, if you will have such aid. Lord Altatar also seems to volunteer," she smiles.
She turns to the Nagarathi. "Thank you for your offer. I accept it gladly."
Is this the course of action the council proposes?"
draxynnic

#29 Post by draxynnic »

"That is true," Anaril acknowledges Deral's words, "but the corruption of a dragon of Caledor normally takes the personal intervention of a demon or sorceror, not simply the winds of Dhar blowing more strongly than normal. We will monitor the situation, of course, but I am more concerned about monsters or demons then the dragons waking up changed."

Anaril turns his attention back to Altatar. "Deral does make a valid point, however. You say yourself that the Chracians make pets of some of the lions they hunt - would that not in fact be the optimum result here? A mist wolf would probably require magical assistance to capture, but if it could be achieved...

"Speaking of the white lions, in fact - it might be worth hunting a few from as high in the mountains as is practical to do so. Unlike the mist wolves, we have a population of lions we could use as a reference that may assist in identifying if anything is changing among the creatures of the mountains of Chrace that might indicate a build-up of Dhar in the peaks.

With a nod to Aicanor, Anaril concludes. "I am in agreement. Let's start by seeing what we might learn from capturing these creatures. Once this meeting has concluded, I will send a message back to Caledor to see if there are any dragons that will volunteer for a flyover to check the status of the waystones."
Laicamir

#30 Post by Laicamir »

"I agree with the proposal, I shall also send my dragon."