The Walking Dead RP? Interest?

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

The Silly Dragon

The Walking Dead RP? Interest?

#1 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Would anyone be interested in doing a RP with me using the world of The Walking Dead from the TV series?

Basically the idea is that you create a character (duh!) and i as 'Game Master' will pose challenges to your characters to sort out either alone or together. These choices will affect how NPCs will react to your character and be choices on morality, humanity etc. Anyone who has played the Walking Dead game will know what kind of thing to expect. I'll be trying to keep the pace variable and unpredictable.

Oh and your character CAN die! (no matter just start a new one). Its up to you to survive as long as you can (its not impossible to stay alive but it will be brutal).

The idea is that i will have a 3 strikes and your out rule and you will not know if you have had a strike or not. These strikes will be gained by making bad choices. Example (basic):

You entered the bathroom and there is a walker with only 1 arm coming for you. Its a small room and the floor is slippery, what do you do?
1) Try to push the walker away and close the door (no chance of finding medicine in the cabinet).
2) Shoot the walker and search the room (loud noise, chance to find medicine, could miss).
3) Try to kill the walker quietly with whatever is at hand in the bathroom (risky).

Choice number 2 is the strike! As it will create too much noise for any walker nearby to hear. Alone it wont kill you but if given 3 strikes then you die!

You may get strikes taken away by performing the perfect act. In the above example its 3. You can get the medicine and deal with the walker quietly. You wont know if its going to work though until its too late. So it could actually be the strike as shooting the walker could NOT attract walkers but its a risk your going to have to deal with. I wont make it up as i go along as the choices will be set before i post them so basically i set which ones are perfect or strikes before i post them so its all up to you the player then.

Above is only a choice that will be thrown at you at certain times in the game (sometimes often sometimes not). Not always about Walkers it could be a choice to approach other survivors who are strangers (NPCs) or not. Or what building to search.

Normal play will be like any other RP. No stats for your character but gender, age and what they did for a living is needed.

Also its worth noting that if i post a choice scene for your character you have 1 week to reply. If no reply is in time i will count it as a strike and move your character on myself. So 3 weeks of inactivity will be character death. If good reason is given or i am told before hand then it will not count as a strike and i will wait.

Tell me what you think and i am open to suggestions and changes. If i get 2 confirmed people to play then i will start and nyone can join and leave at anytime.

Timeline is going to be set 1 year after the outbreak. Which means most military has been overrun and food is starting to be scarce, cities are filled with walkers who are just starting to move away from the bigger civilisations. Smaller settlements like towns and villages do have walkers but they aren't a huge problem there...yet. It wont be set in any country and settlements will be fictional (as i'm not that good with geography) but if you want to imagine it as America i suppose as guns will be available (but noisy).
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: The Walking Dead RP? Interest?

#2 Post by Luna Guardian »

gfhgjhk

That's drunk for I'm in
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Ghost

#3 Post by Ghost »

I'd join, sounds fun.

Although for the strike rules, is there any way to avoid getting them?

Like for instance in your example, if we chose to shoot the walker, and you roll and we hit it, it dies, you determine we found medicine and climb out the window, would we still receive a strike?
Also are strikes event based? If we find ourselves with 2 strikes but finish our goal of getting medicine and are clear of the building, are we reset to 0 or if in the next event where walkers appear from the woods and we choose to hide in a hole, get a strike, would it be game over?
The Silly Dragon

#4 Post by The Silly Dragon »

As i said strikes are only 1 choice out of say 3 so you have a 2/3 chance here to NOT get a strike but you wont know which is the strike or how many you have currently (though there will be clues). If you choose the perfect option you get a strike removed from your name so theres that. Also these events aren't always going on (not every 3 choose event will have strikes and perfects but more chooses to lead you in different path and will test your humanity).

Sadly i don't think i'll do this unless at least some more join.

Edit: Also to note there wont be 'roll to hit' moments as this is a story based on your actions and choices not an action stats counting adventure.
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Mentheus of Caledor

#5 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

I wouldn't mind giving it a go, but I haven't seen any of this show, so if that precludes me from joining then whatever :)
The only reason I'm willing to join without any background knowledge is that I assume its not really any different from the usual zombie apocalypse.

However I could be terribly wrong :)
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
The Silly Dragon

#6 Post by The Silly Dragon »

You should at least watch the show if zombies apocs interest you in the slightest! Its a nice story of how people try to hold onto their humanity and survive.

It doesn't matter if you know nothing about the walking dead series as its only based loosely on the world of it (don't expect cameo appearences from characters in the series).

My inspiration will be taken from the video game then anything else really.

If you are all interested still then please post up a character build. Essential info is:

Name:
Starting area:

Anything else you wish to add like a little backstory would be nice but not essential.

You can choose where to start or i can place your characters for you (its a fictional world so make up a name of the city/village/town or i will).

Also i will let you start together or apart as i'll leave that to you.

Another point to make is that your character CAN die! Like i first stated in original post you CAN die in this RP (doesn't matter just start a new character if you do).

Note: This will be our 'Out of Character' thread and i will start a new one once characters are made.
Ghost

#7 Post by Ghost »

Guess i'll get a character rolling, might inspire some more people.

Name: Desmond
Sex: Male
Starting Area: Hotel Room

Just picked a random starting area. If something else would better suit the story feel free to toss me wherever need be.
mclovin25

#8 Post by mclovin25 »

I really like this idea as i love The Walking Dead. However, I've never done any RP. How is it played? Is it a meet up and play sort of thing or what?
popquq

#9 Post by popquq »

Hi!

I would like to enter this RP. I have not played any RP in years...
I guess you will be the GM?

Anyway here is my man in this gameplay:

Name: Alex "The Hunk" Persson
Sex: Male
Starting Area: The suit at the same hotell.

I pick a random Town as well, as I can not find a clever name! ;)
Larose
Chronicler

#10 Post by Larose »

Ohh I'm in .

Name: Vince
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.