Senate: The Empty Throne - Sign up

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tahl

Senate: The Empty Throne - Sign up

#1 Post by Tahl »

I had this idea the other night and figured it may make for a fun role play.

Blurb:

Each player is a member of the Roman Senate, and is possibly seeking to advance themselves onto the soon to be vacant throne. They do this by managing to secure the support of the Senate itself, they do this – as all good politicians do- through bribes and alliances.

Money:

Rather simply each characters finances are dictated by three factors:
Bank balance + Income - Expenses.

Bank Balance is simply your characters savings, Income is what they get per turn and expenses is what they pay per turn. So if your character is the commander of a legion then you gain income from the arena player who you sell slaves to, but have to pay the merchant player for the resources to field an army.

This means that every characters money is linked to the others, as your fortunes rise theirs may fall.

Senate:

It's comprised of 100 people; the players + NPC's. NPC senators don't vote on most laws but will vote for the selection of a new emperor. They will vote according to political affiliation which will randomly be left, right or centre.

Each player may:

Bribe Senators to vote for them in one vote.

Pay for the Senator to change political affiliations.

Pay to corrupt a Senator, who will always vote as you want them to but will have an upkeep cost.

Laws

At intervals laws will be introduced and voted on, the first couple will be auto-made but after that the players can suggest laws.

So if we say that each turn is two days. At the start of the turn a law is proposed, at the end of the second day a vote is taken on whether to pass the law or not. So for example a new law on Slaves may mean more money for the legion commander who sells them but it means that the Arena owner has higher expenses as he has to pay more.

Ideally looking for around five or more people to sign up. Hopefully if we get some good characters we can make most of this politics and RP opposed to a purely economic game with characters helping other characters for fluffy reasons.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

Re: Senate: The Empty Throne - Sign up

#2 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Sure, I'll play.

Do you want us to come up with our own characters?
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Tahl

#3 Post by Tahl »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:Sure, I'll play.

Do you want us to come up with our own characters?
I've got five basic roles sorted out, so when we have five folks I'll bring them out. It's a basic "this guy does this, gets money from here and gives it here" type thing. This means that all of the meat of the character you guys can make yourselves :)
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
Amun-Lothain

#4 Post by Amun-Lothain »

Sounds interesting, I'd love to give this a try!
[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1459/lvl1.jpg[/img]
Setesh Akhen-Isfet, Commander of the Heralds of Oblivion
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#5 Post by Luna Guardian »

Hep! I'm in
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Drainial Shadowheart

#6 Post by Drainial Shadowheart »

Well as a classics student I don't see how I could possibly say no, I am in.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
Tahl

#7 Post by Tahl »

Cool, I'll wait until tonight hoping for another player or two then post up character skeletons.
Ferretsnarf

#8 Post by Ferretsnarf »

I'm in. I havn't participated in anything here for much too long
[quote]Ferretsnarf says: Would you screw a Half-Orc?
Kitsune (formerly Lathian) says: Yeah, but wilderness, urban or planar?[/quote]
[b]You're[/b] = Possessive form of [b]You[/b]. Example: [i]You're car is nice. [/i]
[b]Your[/b] = Contraction of [b]You[/b] and [b]Are[/b]. Example: [i]Your a fool.[/i]
[i]Okay, now which loremaster changed my signiature to correct it from that? it is irony[/i]
Tahl

#9 Post by Tahl »

Right here are the "Skeleton Characters", Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I've attached a note with a few tips on how each should be played. Pick the one you like: First come first serve though if you really wanted one then ask the person who picked it. Swapping is allowed until each person posts up their own characters bio.

(all sums are in thousands of Denarii).
Character 1 wrote:Blurb:

This senator is the victor of several military campaigns, as such he controls Rome's most powerful legion.

Money:

Income:
30 selling slaves to the arena (Character 5)
10 selling stolen treasures to the nobles. (Character 4)

Bank : 300

Expenses:
20 for supplies to the army (Character 3)
20 for equipment for the army (Character 2)

Political affiliation : Conservative
Probably the easiest Character to start out with, a healthy bank balance and a balanced income/expenses. The starting cash will probably allow you to buy a few votes to go your way early on.
Character 2 wrote: Blurb :

This Senator controls the Guilds in Rome. Giving him indirect control over all it's production primarily; metal works, weapon smiths and so forth.

Money:

Income:
30 for equipment for the army (Character 1)
10 for the equipment for the arena (Character 5)

Bank: 250

Expenses:
30 for raw materials (Character 3)
10 for rare materials (Character 4)

Political affiliation: Liberal.
Another pretty easy starting character, however his expenses are more concentrated if he could force through a change in laws he could make a handsome sum.

Character 3 wrote: Blurb:
This Senator makes his fortune from his families vast holdings in the empire. He runs many successful trading companies.

Money:

Income:
20 supplies for the army (Character 1)
30 raw materials for guilds (Character 2)

Bank: 100

Expenses:
10 for access through territory (Character 4)
20 to purchase guards for caravans (Character 5)

Political affiliation: Centre
Small starting cash but a nice income; if things stay as they are....

Character 4 wrote: Character 4

Blurb:

The head of one of the oldest houses, rich both in coin and lands. Long established in the Senate it already has many allies.

Income:
10 for rare and expensive materials (Character 2)
10 for access through lands (Character 3)

Bank: 600
2 Senators

Expenses:
10 to buy exotic treasures (Character 1)
20 patronage to the arena (Character 5)
5 Corrupt Senator 1
5 Corrupt Senator 2

Political affiliation: Conservative
Although this Character has a strong starting position, it will lose cash with every turn and therefore needs to secure strong political alliances in order to gain enough money per turn to survive. Otherwise it's now large fortune will disappear.

Character 5 wrote:Blurb: This Senator owns most of the Gladiator schools in Rome. Not the most noble of positions but it gives him great sway over the people of Rome.

Income:
20 Selling gladiator slaves as guards (Character 3)
20 from patronage (Character 4)

Bank: 150

Expenses:
20 Buying slaves for training (Character 1)
10 for equipment (Character 2)

Political affiliation : Liberal
Little in the way of banked cash but a rather secure income with little expenses.

Price lists:

50 to bribe an NPC Senator to vote for you once

75 to change an NPC Senators Political affiliation

100 to corrupt a Senator, who will always vote as you want him to.
5 upkeep cost of "pocket Senator"

Once we have every characters bio up I will start the game thread.

Feel free to ask any questions/make suggestions :)
Ferretsnarf

#10 Post by Ferretsnarf »

I'll stake my claim on
Character 2 wrote:Blurb :

This Senator controls the Guilds in Rome. Giving him indirect control over all it's production primarily; metal works, weapon smiths and so forth.

Money:

Income:
30 for equipment for the army (Character 1)
10 for the equipment for the arena (Character 5)

Bank: 250

Expenses:
30 for raw materials (Character 3)
10 for rare materials (Character 4)

Political affiliation: Liberal.
[b]You're[/b] = Possessive form of [b]You[/b]. Example: [i]You're car is nice. [/i]
[b]Your[/b] = Contraction of [b]You[/b] and [b]Are[/b]. Example: [i]Your a fool.[/i]
[i]Okay, now which loremaster changed my signiature to correct it from that? it is irony[/i]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#11 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Tahl wrote:
Character 3 wrote:Blurb:
This Senator makes his fortune from his families vast holdings in the empire. He runs many successful trading companies.

Money:

Income:

Expenses:

Mine, after swap with Luna.
Last edited by Prince_Asuryan on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Amun-Lothain

#12 Post by Amun-Lothain »

I'll go with this one.
Character 5 wrote:Blurb: This Senator owns most of the Gladiator schools in Rome. Not the most noble of positions but it gives him great sway over the people of Rome.

Income:
20 Selling gladiator slaves as guards (Character 3)
20 from patronage (Character 4)

Bank: 150

Expenses:
20 Buying slaves for training (Character 1)
10 for equipment (Character 2)

Political affiliation : Liberal
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#13 Post by Luna Guardian »

Character 3 wrote: Blurb:

Money:

Income:

Expenses:

Guess I'll go with this one
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Drainial Shadowheart

#14 Post by Drainial Shadowheart »

Character 4 wrote:
Character 4

Blurb:

The head of one of the oldest houses, rich both in coin and lands. Long established in the Senate it already has many allies.

Income:
10 for rare and expensive materials (Character 2)
10 for access through lands (Character 3)

Bank: 600
2 Senators

Expenses:
10 to buy exotic treasures (Character 1)
20 patronage to the arena (Character 5)
5 Corrupt Senator 1
5 Corrupt Senator 2

I guess that leaves me with this one then. Is this the place for expanding our senators bio's a bit, with names and such?
Tahl

#15 Post by Tahl »

Yes, assuming you're all happy with your choices please post up some character bio here. In roughly twelve hours I will start a game thread and explain all the rules fully.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#16 Post by Luna Guardian »

Well, I would've wanted the military senator, but unless PA is feeling very generous, c'est la vie :P

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#17 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

I'm open to negotiation.
Drainial Shadowheart

#18 Post by Drainial Shadowheart »

Name: Aullus Sejanus Claudius
Political leanings: Conservative
Physical description: Grey hair, clean shaven as any true Roman should be (assuming early-mid high empire) usually seen sporting a toga even when not required by law and custom. His expression is more likely to be a scowl than a grin, unless he has managed to get one over on a rival.

Brief background: The Claudians are amongst the most distinguished families in Rome, under the Republic there were none richer or more powerful and even in these imperial days they lack neither influence nor prestige. That said not since the emperor Claudius’ death has a Claudian worn the imperial mantle, Aullus wants to change that.
A firm believer in the gods given right of the patricians to govern over the plebs and with a personal conviction that no one is more noble than he Aullus his never lacked for ambition. Respectful of the Senate he frowns on ‘new men’, which as far as he is concerned means anyone who has come to power since the fall of Carthage; this is not to say that he would not form political alliances with other senators with less prestigious heritage if they are able to make up for it in political savvy and Machiavellian acumen (though of course he has never heard of Machiavelli).

I hope this is alright.
Last edited by Drainial Shadowheart on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tahl

#19 Post by Tahl »

It's been pointed out that due to timezones etc that 11 hours was a little bit too short notice. Therefore please post your character bio's here and I will get something up tomorrow.

If anyone needs a historical context the RPG will begin at the end of Marcus Ulpius Nerva Traianus (18 September 53 – 9 August 117 A.D.) reign. Unless anyone can pick out a historical dilemma.
Amun-Lothain

#20 Post by Amun-Lothain »

Here we go! :)

Name: Titus Aurelius Scaurus
Political Affiliation: Liberal
Description: Young and fairly handsome, Titus has a strong build from his time with his uncle, as well as a scar or two. His friends often remark that Titus never appears comfortable in the robes of a senator, and has never been able to sit still through a whole meeting.

Background: Placing his hopes for greatness in his eldest sons, Titus’ father Quintus was content to leave him in the care of his uncle Gaius, the overseer of Capua’s largest gladiator school. Titus took a hands-on interest in the family business at a young age, spending more time at the games and training schools than at his studies. Titus would often oversee the gladiator’s training, sometimes joining in when his uncle was away. Seeing something in Titus that his father did not, Gaius sent him to Rome and implored Quintus to introduce his son to politics. Titus found himself a gladiator in the political arena, and acted accordingly. Lacking a patrician background and support, Titus turned to his crowd, the people. Fighting hard to rise through the ranks, Titus has never been afraid to get his hands dirty, and has enjoyed his recent success, though he has been careful to remember those who helped to elevate him.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#21 Post by Luna Guardian »

PA and I reached an agreement and will swap characters. I'll be playing character one, the warhero

Name: Decimus Villius Malleolus
Brief background: Decimus started his military career as the Tribunus Laticlavius of his legion, appointed by the emperor as a favor to his father. As the young officer fought through many campaigns, the success of his legion caught the imperial eye. When the time came to replace the Legatus Legionis, Decimus was granted the honor, as well as a senatorial seat.
As Legatus, Decimus quickly earned a name for himself as a brutal but extremely capable commander. He launched several campaigns, each ending in an unquestionable success and his legion's fame grew even more.
Now, with the imperial throne empty, Decimus sees himself as the next emperor. He is one of the most famed warheroes of the Empire, has the absolute loyalty of it's finest legion and the respect of his peers. He has long looked hungrily at Germania Magna and as Emperor, he would bring that barbaric country to kneel at the feet of the Roman Empire!

Ferretsnarf

#22 Post by Ferretsnarf »

Manius Octavius Putorius
Age 26

Though only distantly related to the former Emperors, this relation was enough to provide preferential treatment and eventual control over Rome's various guilds and the Legions' considerable hunger for weapons and armor. Having inherited his father's considerable estate at the suspiciously young death of his father, he also inherited the considerable power of the family. Having only entered the Senate a year ago, Senator Putorius has yet to pocket any rival senators under his direct influence. Still, his wealth and control over Rome's production capacity makes him among the most powerful of the senators. Perhaps the Octavian family will once again rise to the throne of Rome...
Drainial Shadowheart

#23 Post by Drainial Shadowheart »

I am not trying to be pedantic or anything but Octavious was Augustus' first name before he was adopted, the family name was Julian. Roman names get pretty confusing I will admit.
Tahl

#24 Post by Tahl »

Ok, the play thread is now up P_A will just have to post his bio here. This will also now become the OT thread.

The first vote is to be handed to me by 10am GMT Wednesday.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#25 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Sorry, been a little preoccupied - bio is here.

Caecilius Maritus Fabricus
Age 34
Political Affiliation: Centre

Background: Still a young(ish) man, Caecilius inherited his mercantile holdings when his father passed away suddenly. Caecilius is, by all appearances, a generous and kind man. He donates to charities and alms houses, is happily married with wife and a son, and is a good member of society. Those few that would dig deeper though would find that many of his mundane and kind acts are a front through which he extends his reach across the political and economic structures of Rome - a gesture here, the exchange of money there - all of this slowly puts senators, military leaders and other merchants in his pockets.
Ferretsnarf

#26 Post by Ferretsnarf »

Drainial Shadowheart wrote:I am not trying to be pedantic or anything but Octavious was Augustus' first name before he was adopted, the family name was Julian. Roman names get pretty confusing I will admit.
Not to be pedantic or anything, but you're wrong.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_f ... stus.shtml
Born Gaius Octavius. His first name was Gaius, just like countless other romans.
Tahl

#27 Post by Tahl »

It doesn't really matter.

What do you guys think about turn time? How much would you ideally like?
Drainial Shadowheart

#28 Post by Drainial Shadowheart »

I have found that for this kind of thing three days is about right, two can be a little short as it is easy for life to suddenly overtake people and then just as quickly subside. Of course it is up to you.
Tahl

#29 Post by Tahl »

In order to Clarify a few rules, I'm going to state them more clearly here.

This is a turn based game, each turn will last a couple of days.

At the start of the turn a vote will be proposed, the characters will then find themselves in a situation where they have to discuss with each other their options and come to a conclusion. At the end of the turn each player will PM me their vote.

There are two types of vote: Election for a new Emperor & Normal.

Emperor Vote

In the election of a new Emperor the entire Senate votes. NPC non-corrupt Senators will vote according to Political affiliation (Either Conservative, Center or Liberal).

The total number of Senators is 100; which is 5 players + 95 NPCs. The 95 NPC have a hidden affiliation given to them at random, at the end of each turn one will become unveiled.

When you corrupt a Senator he is the next "Hidden" affiliation which automatically changes to your own. You can only change the affiliation of a Senator that is unveiled. You can Bribe a Senator to vote for you but it doesn't change their affiliation, meaning it's a one off.

Normal Votes

I am going to suggest the first few votes myself but after that the forum will be open for players to suggest votes.

How to suggest a vote: Pm me your suggestion, if it's acceptable it will be the next one (or join the line). If it's not I will pm you back and we will agree of a modified vote. For example a vote which is too similar to the previous may be sent back.

NPC's don't vote in normal votes unless they're bribed to do so or are corrupt and instructed to do so. They don't have to vote the same way as the Player or even vote at all. It may be beneficial in some circumstances to vote against you or with hold it from voting in order to try and confuse your opponents. Please Specify in the vote PM how they will vote.

Cash
Your start of turn income/expenses will be worked out at the end of the turn, the result of the vote will take effect on the next turn. So for instance Ferretsnarf lost this vote, but wont feel the affect until the end of the next turn. A small Bank Statement will be PM'd back to you end of each turn to ensure my records match yours. As always please ensure you tell me of any cash changing hands between you.

If there's any more questions please do not hesitate to ask, either here PM or facebook/ msn
Amun-Lothain

#30 Post by Amun-Lothain »

With the talk of dying RP's, I figured I'd see if we could get this going again, if everyone is still around.