Forgotten Realms - RP sign up

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shandiar

Forgotten Realms - RP sign up

#1 Post by Shandiar »

The wind was chill, stinging against the bare skin. The damp breath clearly visible in the sharp clean air. Still something was not right. The air carried a message upon it that was not to be ignored. A taint of decay or even worse...death.

The sentinel at the Silverymoon wall was released and immediately reported to the captain, there was grim news to face.

OOC: this will be a roleplaying game based on the Dungeons'n'Dragons rules 3.0. Setting is Forgotten Realms in Silverymoon (for a start). I prefer experienced players familiar with the system and it will not be first come - first serve. I will have the liberty to select those members of the board who I deem fitting for an actionpacked adventure. I prefer this game to have elven characters as this is Ulthuan so feel free to sign up and cross your fingers
High Priest of ASS
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

Re: Forgotten Realms - RP sign up

#2 Post by Eldacar »

I'll give it a whirl, if you're willing.

Are you going to be introducing any house rules? Some of what Pathfinder does with the 3.5 ruleset is pretty damn good, and streamlines the system (e.g. retroactive skill ranks as you gain in INT). Also, what level will you be starting at? 1st level, or higher up?
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
Shandiar

#3 Post by Shandiar »

Eldacar you are in.

The reason I said 3.0 rules is because that's what I got, I'm willing to do some homework if I get the updated rules but otherwise I think it's the story not the rules that will have my favour here.
High Priest of ASS
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#4 Post by Eldacar »

Well, the SRD (3.5 ruleset) is freely available on the Internet as part of the Open Game License, and d20srd.org has the works if WotC has taken it down off their own site. Mostly, 3.5 just updates 3.0 and tries to fix some of the mote egregious issues with the system (such as the haste spell).

I've got almost all the 3.0/3.5 books if you need me to look something up, too.
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
LordAnubis

#5 Post by LordAnubis »

I'm quite familiar with the FR setting and I've played 3.5 D&D several times (if not that recently). So, I'd be interested in playing.

Just to check, when would you want to set this though? Presumably before all of the recent changes in the Realms.
[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc207/Veherzak/ChaosUndivided001.jpg[/img]
[b]Rezaile the Puppet Master[/b] - 30/8/6 - 340 kills
Herald of Oblivion
Lord of Twilight on the High Council of the Everchosen
High Prince of Yvresse
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#6 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

I'll put my services forwards - I admit that I have no knowledge of the rules system, and a basic knowledge of FR, from the various Drizzt books, so I don't expect to be selected. But, I've left it a few days, and the lack of responders means I'm happy to put myself forward if you need some people.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
NoOoDLe

#7 Post by NoOoDLe »

Although I won't be able to contribute half as much as I'd like until the end of this month which is when my higher exams are over and I have no knowledge whatsoever of the rules.. I'm willing to join =3

I have basic knowledge of the Forgotten Realms world from playing through Baldur's Gate I suppose but that's about as much as I can say..
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
Shandiar

#8 Post by Shandiar »

I guess you can all be in, if we help each other with the rules and background. Etherion Fenix might join us as well.

A bit of information: we'll start in the year of DR 1371 and you will start as level 3 characters, elves preferred otherwise discuss it with me if you want to be another race.

I have most of the Forgotten Realms books and 3.5 Players Guide so I guess we can use that.
High Priest of ASS
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#9 Post by Eldacar »

I'd like to discuss the possibility of doing something... rather unusual, shall we say, but I'd prefer to talk it over privately for the moment. MSN at some point, or would you like PMs?

Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#10 Post by Ruerl Khan »

@Shandiar:
http://www.d20srd.org/
Eldacar wrote:I'll give it a whirl, if you're willing.

Are you going to be introducing any house rules? Some of what Pathfinder does with the 3.5 ruleset is pretty damn good, and streamlines the system (e.g. retroactive skill ranks as you gain in INT). Also, what level will you be starting at? 1st level, or higher up?
Where can I find these pathfinder house rules? I'l like to give them a look, planning a campaign for some friends.
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
Shandiar

#11 Post by Shandiar »

Thanks Ruerl :) You are welcome to join here too.

MSN is the best Eldacar.
High Priest of ASS
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#12 Post by Eldacar »

Ruerl Khan wrote:@Shandiar:
http://www.d20srd.org/
Eldacar wrote:I'll give it a whirl, if you're willing.

Where can I find these pathfinder house rules? I'l like to give them a look, planning a campaign for some friends.
Pathfinder is actually a modified form of the 3.5 rules published by Paizo Publishing under the Open Game License, so you'd have to buy their books if you wanted to look at them (it's worth a look, since several fairly high-profile TSR/WotC designers helped work on the development of the Pathfinder modifications, and they also take a lot of player input into account). Of course, there are other slightly less-than-legal means of obtaining said books, but I'm sure you probably know how to use such things already anyway.

Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#13 Post by Ruerl Khan »

Eldacar wrote:Pathfinder is actually a modified form of the 3.5 rules published by Paizo Publishing under the Open Game License, so you'd have to buy their books if you wanted to look at them (it's worth a look, since several fairly high-profile TSR/WotC designers helped work on the development of the Pathfinder modifications, and they also take a lot of player input into account). Of course, there are other slightly less-than-legal means of obtaining said books, but I'm sure you probably know how to use such things already anyway.
*coughs* why i'd never. No clue what your talking about, I certainly don't have several GB of D&D materials on my harddrive, that would be... bad.
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
White_Phoenix

#14 Post by White_Phoenix »

I am very much familiar with D&D 3.0/3.5 rules, but i know very little about Forgotten Realms.

Even if not accepted to the RPG, i would still be glad to help with the rules if needed.

WP
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#15 Post by Eldacar »

Also, if anybody wants help constructing a character, or assistance with the background of FR, I'm probably going to be available if you want advice or whatever. I'm fairly sure most of you know how to find me (MSN or #Albion).

Shandiar

#16 Post by Shandiar »

@White_Phoenix - so far I have what I need, but if a free spot opens I'll let you know.

If you can start posting here or catch me on msn for what kind of character you will be playing, that will make me happy inside.

So far Eldacar has a wizard in mind.
High Priest of ASS
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#17 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

I was thinking wizard, but as I'm gonna be learning the system, probably safe not to do so. Plus Eldacar has one.

Now I'm thinking Elven Ranger.

The link that Ruerl posted - those are the rules I assume, or do I need to get hold of them elsewhere?
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#18 Post by Eldacar »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:I was thinking wizard, but as I'm gonna be learning the system, probably safe not to do so. Plus Eldacar has one.

Now I'm thinking Elven Ranger.

The link that Ruerl posted - those are the rules I assume, or do I need to get hold of them elsewhere?
Yes, those are the basic 3.5 rules. Various sourcebooks (the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Forgotten Realms Players Guide, Lost Empires of Faerun, Races of Faerun... etc etc etc) have other bits and pieces that you might be interested in including, particularly for flavour purposes.

If you're going Elven Ranger, you could open up the two-weapon fighting option and side-track into Dervish and Tempest (they are somewhat Drizzt-inspired, but nothing's perfect, really...). Unless you were preferring the Bow proficiency (but there aren't a lot of prestige classes focused around bows that I can think of right now).

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#19 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Huh, the link isn't allowed to show us how to create characters. I'll find some way to do it this evening, but I've got a character in mind now.
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#20 Post by Ruerl Khan »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:Huh, the link isn't allowed to show us how to create characters. I'll find some way to do it this evening, but I've got a character in mind now.
you still need to decide: Do you want to whack stuff with a sword or punctuate stuff with a bow?

Personally, i'm a little undecided class wise, on one hand a good party tend to be full of:
Meath-shield: The guy that stands in the way and dishes out heavy mellee damage
skill-monkey: The guy with all the utility skills, he's the guy that disarms traps, pick those locks, pick those pockets and scouts ahead of the party. He's often also called the "corpse" why corpse? Read what he does again. (can't take credit for that bit of humour, I stole it from Eldacar who took it from some guide.)
heal-bot: He heals us.
and
batman (the wizard).

So far we have the goddamn batman (Eldacar, perhaps. Unless he's going the GOD way), we got the heal-bot too i'm informed, so that leaves us lacking the meat-shield wich I hope you'll take P_A, personally i'd prefer to play something caster-ish, but I can also play a highly annoying skill-monkey. ;)
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#21 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

I was going for the surely ranger type - which would be the disarm traps etc :P

My plan was to wack stuff with a pair of swords and generally be annoying, although I can play the ranger meatshield if I must.
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#22 Post by Ruerl Khan »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:I was going for the surely ranger type - which would be the disarm traps etc :P

My plan was to wack stuff with a pair of swords and generally be annoying, although I can play the ranger meatshield if I must.
Here is the list of ranger skills:
d20SRD wrote: The ranger’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
No disarm trap there. ;)
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#23 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Well, I'll stick to the ranger and play the combat character I suppose. Fighters are boring, we have a wizard and while the rogue looks interesting, I don't think he'd be as much fun.

Any help with Character creation would be appreciated.
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#24 Post by Ruerl Khan »

Poke me on msn, i'll be online all evening. Except for a reboot wich i'm doing as soon as i'm writing this post.
NoOoDLe

#25 Post by NoOoDLe »

I was in right? Yes? o.o

I'd like to go for the Rogue class if that's okay? Like Prince Asuryan I don't have any idea what I should put in my character sheet but I do have a fluffy character in mind..
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#26 Post by Ruerl Khan »

NoOoDLe wrote:I was in right? Yes? o.o

I'd like to go for the Rogue class if that's okay? Like Prince Asuryan I don't have any idea what I should put in my character sheet but I do have a fluffy character in mind..
Poke me on msn i'll help you
Shandiar

#27 Post by Shandiar »

And I'll help you guys out too if you need a hand.

Party is full and ready for adventure soonish
High Priest of ASS
White_Phoenix

#28 Post by White_Phoenix »

Guys - the basic Character sheet for v3.5 is found over here:
Hope this helps The first link.
Shandiar

#29 Post by Shandiar »

Alright I'm still waiting for the last characters with backgrounds please.

So far I got Ruerls, PAs and NoOodles stats and some from Eldacar. So get them done and post them here, or pm or catch me on msn, so we can get this moving.
High Priest of ASS
NoOoDLe

#30 Post by NoOoDLe »

My finals start coming monday so it might be a while before I get an elaborate background up.. Could you PM me with what you expect to see in a character sheet? (i.e. what kinda input do I have on the matters of armaments as well as equipment? And how elaborate do you want the backgrounds/descriptions?)