One Brief Shining Moment

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

Re: One Brief Shining Moment

#211 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Earl Roderick said with great conviction, "And I, for my part, do swear to defend and honour Aldrydd as befits a true knight." He unsheathed Aldrydd's sword and tapped Aldrydd upon one shoulder and then the other with the flat of the blade. "I dub thee Sir Aldrydd of Winterbourne Stoke. Receive now your spurs, your right to suitable arms, and take this, my sword, to your side to serve and defend me well. Arise, Sir Knight!" As he spoke, he took up the appropriate item and gave it to Aldrydd, fastening the spurs on his feet, placing the shield on his arm, and girding the sword about his waist.

Sir Aldrydd then ran outside, where he easily vaulted gracefully up on to the back of his charger to the cheers of the court.

"Gaius of Burcombe, son of Sir Meriadoc of Burcombe, come forward and kneel before the throne."
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Krusader

#212 Post by Krusader »

Gaius came forward and dutifully knelt before the throne, emulating Tinian he held his head down.
"I am going to call my kids Ctrl, Alt and Delete. Then if they muck up i will just hit them all at once.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#213 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

For the final time that day, the herald read from his scroll. "Be it known to all men that I, Earl Roderick of Salisbury, am minded to raise Gaius of Burcombe, by virtue of his honour, loyalty, valour, and skill at arms, to the high rank of knighthood." To Gaius, he said, "Gaius of Burcombe, do you swear and acknowledge Earl Roderick to be your true and lawful liege?"
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Krusader

#214 Post by Krusader »

In a clear voice Gaius said:
"I do so swear"
Last edited by Krusader on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am going to call my kids Ctrl, Alt and Delete. Then if they muck up i will just hit them all at once.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#215 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Do you also swear fealty to Uther Pendragon, to defend and obey him until he depart the throne, or death shall take you?"
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Krusader

#216 Post by Krusader »

With the same clear voice Gaius replied:
"I do so swear"
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#217 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Earl Roderick's backhanded blow to Gaius' face almost knocked him from his kneeling position with its force. "Let this be the last blow you receive without just recourse," Earl Roderick said. He then held out his hands for Gaius to place his hands over, so that they were palm-to-palm.

"Repeat after me," the herald said. "I, Gaius of Burcombe, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick of Salisbury, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honour of knighthood."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Krusader

#218 Post by Krusader »

"I, Gaius of Burcombe, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick of Salisbury, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honour of knighthood." he said with a hint of pride in his voice.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#219 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Earl Roderick said, "And I, for my part, do swear to defend and honour Gaius as befits a true knight." He unsheathed the sword that had slain a bear, and tapped Gaius upon each shoulder in turn with the bear-killing blade. "I dub thee Sir Gaius of Burcombe. Receive now your spurs, your right to suitable arms, and take this, my sword, to your side to serve and defend me well. Arise, Sir Knight!" As he spoke, he took up the appropriate item and gave it to Aldrydd, fastening the spurs on his feet, placing the shield on his arm, and girding the sword about his waist.

Sir Gaius was the last of the new knights to run outside to his charger, where with artless ease he leaped up into the saddle, and the crowd cheered again. The entire court was overjoyed: never before had every single new knight not only stayed awake and prayed all night long during their vigil, but also successfully completed the Leap to a man. Surely this was a good omen for the future!

There were no more squires waiting to be knighted. The four new knights entered the hall, which gave itself over to merrymaking for the rest of the day in celebration of the joyous event which had just occurred.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#220 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

The next morning, it was time for the new knights to depart. Each would spend that winter on their family's manor. They would meet again in the next year, but for now it was time to rest.

ooc: That's the end of the first year's adventure! What happens now is the 'Winter Phase', which is an abstract way of determining yearly changes to your character, their family, and their lands. Everyone will need to talk to me over MSN, and we'll find out what happens to your knight over winter. If you look back at the first page, you'll also find that I've updated the first post's timeline, so people can keep track of what's been going on.

Once all five Winter Phases have been completed, we'll proceed with the events of the next year!
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#221 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Sir Gaius

Reflecting on the year that had passed, Sir Gaius realised that he was crueler than before, after he killed the bandits; and more prudent, as a result of his encounter with the bear. He was a better hunter, also, as a result of his work tracking down the bear.

Sir Gaius' sumpter horse died during the winter, but he heard that his cousin had a child during the winter!

During the winter, Sir Gaius practiced his Horsemanship and became considerably better at riding. He also read a copy of Ovid's 'Ars Amoris' to inspire him to find a woman next year. His eye was set upon Lady Elaine, who he had heard about at court as being an exceptionally beautiful and rich young widow (though slightly older than Sir Gaius). Sir Gaius learned that Lady Elaine's first husband was killed by a peasant a few years earlier whom Lady Elaine had been having an affair with; the peasant was subsequently hanged. As a result, the other women of Salisbury now considered Lady Elaine to be an unfaithful hussy.

At Christmas, Sir Gaius rode over to Sir Tinian's estate, where he played several games of Tabula (backgammmon) against his comrade-in-arms.

Sir Gaius' fame spread throughout Salisbury. The news encouraged him, and he swore that he would be braver to live up to his newfound reputation.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#222 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Sir John

Sir John realised that he had become more energetic and merciful as a result of the last year's adventures. His skills at riding and jousting had also improved, as had his knowledge of games and his musical talent on the harp.

Sir John also reflected upon the serving maid, Aderyn, that he met at Sarum Castle. He had flirted very enjoyably with her before he had been knighted, and after the ceremony, the two of them had been overcome by their joy at the proceedings and had retired to the stables to have sex shortly after John had been knighted. Little did he know that Aderyn was pregnant with his son, and he never would know, for both mother and child perished during childbirth. He did, however, learn that one of his cousins had perished as the result of a personal feud.

Sir John worked at improving his jousting skills further, and became better with both horse and lance over the winter. He also took Sir Gaius' recommendation and read Ovid's "Ars Amoris"; after all, he would need to find a bride soon.

Sir John, like Sir Gaius, decided to become more valorous in the future, as a result of his glory growing even greater.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#223 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Sir Tinian

Sir Tinian spent much of the winter still recovering from his terrible wounds. He spent much of the time playing tabula against all comers, and usually winning, as well as practicing with lance and horse. He also received word from his mother, who had remarried after the death of Sir Hectimere, that she was delivered of a baby boy: Sir Tinian's half-brother.

Like his brother knights, Sir Tinian also vowed to show no fear to the enemy as a result of his increasing fame.
Last edited by Calarion Sapherior on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#224 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alain

Unlike his comrades, Alain did not return to his estate at Newton that year, remaining at Vagon Castle instead. This stay was made more pleasant due to the return of Adelle from court; as chatelaine of the castle, her responsibilities (few as they were) required her to be there. Initially, the two flirted happily, but Adelle indicated a fondness for poetry; knowing his own lack of poetic capability, Alain sent to Sir Tinian for a love poem. Sir Tinian's poem did not do the trick, and in a funk, Alain seduced a chambermaid. The sex was enjoyable; Adelle's reaction when she found out much less so. Alain spent the rest of the winter fuming and practicing with his sword. A success on the field could win him the renown he would need to achieve knighthood and win back Adelle's good graces...
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Anarion
The White Lion

#225 Post by Anarion »

Tinian was pleased by the news of his half-brother's birth. He thanked the Lord for the vitality his mother Isobel possessed. The new brother was named in the traditional family mode as his own father would have wished. The boy was named Kavian.

OOC: Tinian's heraldry:
Never moon a werewolf.
cidracin

#226 Post by cidracin »

Sir Aldrydd
Sir Aldrydd realized that he was more energetic and cruel as a result of last year's adventures. His sword skill, recognition, and orate all improved.

One of Sir Aldrydd's rouncies died during the winter, and nothing of note occured within his family.

Over the winter Sir Aldrydd read Ovis "Ars Amoris" off a recomendation by his fellow knight Sir John. Sir Aldrydd also spent some of his spare time practicing the harp. All in the opes of getting the attention of Lady Adwen.

OOC: Heres my heraldry.
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#227 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

John spent the winter months happily, never knowing of his unborn son. Only when he was notified of his cousins death did he find himself distracted from the many aspects of his life that he strove to improve upon.

OOC: Heraldry

'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Krusader

#228 Post by Krusader »

Gaius spent the winter months well and made sure to send wellwishes to his cousin for her newborn babe.

OOC: Gaius' family sticks to the simple!

Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#229 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

485 AD

The spring thaw had come. The snows were gone, and farmers were planting their harvests for the new year. It was at this time that word came from Sarum, summoning the knights to service. One of the customary duties of knights was to ride border patrol, keeping the land safe from raiders.

"Remember," said Sir Lycus, "we don't just have the Saxons to worry about. Those bastards from Levcomagus raided us again last year, and Marshall Elad has made it clear to me that the Earl would be quite happy for us to bloody their noses if they try again, or to repay the favour if we've nothing better to do." Sir Lycus was a scrawny man, with thick black hair and a leather eyepatch covering an empty socket; the eye had been taken by a Saxon sword. He had been assigned as the leader of the patrol, consisting of Sirs Tinian, John, Aldrydd and Gaius. Each of the knights had been newly assigned a squire for the task as well. Sir Lycus' squire, they were happy to see, was their friend Alain.

ooc: If you want more detail about why Salisbury and Levcomagus raid each other, or what the situation is in Britain right now, you can make Intrigue checks, but it's not important.
Last edited by Calarion Sapherior on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Krusader

#230 Post by Krusader »

Gaius nodded to Alain with a smile. He hoped his winter had been a good one.

OOC:

Here are some pictures which should amply illustrate how our knights look like in this time period (according to rulebook). They are all taken from an Osprey book on Norman Knights:

Knights practicing a charge:
The Knight on the right wears lamellar which was an armour type used by the Byzantines, Islamic & steppe armies. The second from right wears scalemail. The two leftmost knights wear chainmail, which our knights wear.

Knight on foot:

Hunting scene:
Anarion
The White Lion

#231 Post by Anarion »

It being his first patrol as a knight, Tinian kept a close eye out. His squire, Reynold, he kept close. Reynold, he'd found, knew more about the peasantry than he himself did.

He was pleased that Alain was with them, even if only as Sir Lycus's squire. Alas to his chagrin he'd been unable to help Alain impress Lady Adelle. His attempted poetry had been rather catastrophic, he'd heard.

OOC: rolled a 14 for Intrigue, I guess Tinian doesn't know or care
Never moon a werewolf.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#232 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

John nodded to each of his friends as he approached the small group. Behind him, his squire Lardans rode along. John thought the squire to be loyal and good at his job, but his head was full of tales regarding giants and dragons.

He smiled when he saw Alain, raising his hand in greeting. He had not heard much from his fellows over the winter, only what they had spoken about when they visited.

OOC: Failed an Intrigue roll at 15, in case it was needed.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
cidracin

#233 Post by cidracin »

Aldrydd greeted his friends heartily and was especially pleased to see Alain.
OOC: Intrigue 11 so failed. I'll deteermine my squires skill later tonight when I have time.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#234 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

The knights rode east towards Du Plain Castle. This motte-and-bailey wooden fortification, and the village that surrounded it, marked the easternmost boundary of Salisbury. North of Du Plain lay the Harewood and Chute Forest, which marked the border with Silchester. Over the next week, the knights slowly skirted the edge of the forest, and entered the valley of the Bourne River. The sun was shining over the valley, its farms and villages and manors.

The duties of the knights were mostly simple. It was their task to stop and talk to anyone who entered Salisbury, of which there were a scant few, and these simply tinkers and travellers of no note. Occasionally, a peasant would ask the knights, as representatives of the Earl, to give judgement in some simple case.

On the morning of the third day out of Du Plain Castle, a young man mounted on a pony galloped up and delivered a breathless message to Sir Lycus. "Raiders are attacking Allington Town, my lord!" he said. "Knights on horseback!"

Sir Lycus smiled grimly. "Prepare for battle, lads," he said, and kicked his horse into a gallop.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Krusader

#235 Post by Krusader »

Gaius said a swift prayer, but where he once would have prayed for mercy for slaying a foe, he thought that the Silchester Knights deserved none.
He motioned to his squire to follow him and said in a low voice to the young soul in his care:
"Bran, this is your first battle. Stay in the back. You are no knight yet. Do not shy from combat, but do not charge heedlessly into battle either. I'd rather have a live squire than a dead one"
Anarion
The White Lion

#236 Post by Anarion »

Tinian's grip tightened upon the lance he held upright. He motioned Reynold to the rear of the group and urged Bellerophon to Lycus's right shoulder.

"How far to Allington?" he asked the lad. And in the same breath he turned eagerly to Sir Lycus. "How will we engage them? In a line? A wedge?"

The hours of training he'd put in over the winter he hoped now would stand him in good stead.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#237 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"If we ride hard, fifteen minutes!" Sir Lycus yelled. "Don't worry about formation, just kill the buggers as we see them!"
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Anarion
The White Lion

#238 Post by Anarion »

Tinian nodded, slightly disappointed. He'd had visions of a spectacular array. But he said nothing and urged Bellerophon to match Sir Lycus's pace.
Never moon a werewolf.
cidracin

#239 Post by cidracin »

Sir Aldrydd called his young squire Bruce over. "Bruce stick close to me and do not engage an enemy knight unless you have no other choice." Aldrydd was worried about Bruce. He was still so young and had a mind that was better at recognizing heraldry then fighting at the moment.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#240 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

The knights kicked their horses into a gallop and sprinted across the plain towards Allington. It would be a fortunate occurrence to catch the raiders before Allington was reduced to a burned husk, and very soon tendrils of smoke could be seen in the air. The knights pushed their horses to the limit; soon, Sir Tinian and Sir Aldrydd were left behind as Sir Lycus, Sir Gaius, Sir John and Alain tore ahead of them. The raiders were still occupied with Allington by the time that the knights arrived. There were a half-dozen or so of them that the knights could see. Two of the raiders had laid a very small heap of gold and silver on to a blanket and were sorting through it; Sir Gaius and Sir John could see a golden crucifix amongst the loot. Another of the raiders was butchering livestock, while two more walked with bloodied blades amongst the burning buildings. Several dead bodies were scattered around; the only survivor that could be seen was a sobbing woman clutching the remnants of her clothes about her. Alain and Sir John could also see a mounted man, further back; and Sir John recognized the emblem upon his shield: green and black, with a roaring white lion upon it. This was Sir Rhisiart, the Steward of Levcomagus himself!

The raiders heard the sound of hooves pounding and dropped everything, running for their steeds. Spears were raised as the raiders charged at the knights of Salisbury. The two knights who had been counting money were the first to encounter the knights of Salisbury, and they met with a tremendous clash. Sir Lycus' spear struck one of the knights hard, sending him reeling in his saddle, while Sir Gaius' spearhead struck his opponent in the head. There was a bloody shower. The headless corpse sagged in the saddle and the horse continued to gallop onwards, bearing its gory burden away from Allington. Then the rest of the enemy arrived, swords flashing, and the confrontation broke up into a confused melee. The knights from Salisbury found themselves outnumbered by the enemy, and fought desperately to defend themselves. Sir Gaius was pummeled from two sides and barely managed to keep his saddle and his head. Alain, although only a squire, demonstrated his superlative skill with a sword as he likewise held off two enemies. Sir John, meanwhile, traded blows with a wily opponent; neither one managed to strike a telling blow.

Finally Sir Tinian and Sir Aldrydd appeared, and the melee became more balanced. Blades flew and shields were splintered. Sir Aldrydd's sword knocked his opponent from his saddle, sending him lying in the dust, where he was trampled under Aldrydd's horse. Alain struck a mighty foe against his enemy, but could not withstand the more experienced knight's attacks and was knocked unconscious from his horse; Sir Aldrydd wheeled to face him next. However, Sir Aldrydd soon found himself in the same position as his opponent, flung from his horse. However, even unmounted his skill was too great for his opponent; his next blow claimed his foe's life. Sir Gaius managed to disarm his opponent; while his enemy defended himself skillfully with his shield and a long dagger. Sir Gaius's own sword became wedged in his opponent's shield and torn aside; he too drew a dagger, reached out, and slit his opponent's throat with it. Sir Tinian fell from his saddle as well; he pulled himself upright and bodily tore his opponent from his own seat. He and his opponent struck mightily at each other, and blood flew from their wounds. Feeling himself on the edge of collapse, Sir Tinian remembered his month in bed, the previous year, and let the desire never to return to that state fuel his arm. With a single mighty blow, he struck his enemy upon the head, cleaving his head asunder. Sir Lycus, meanwhile, fought two enemies; he received several wounds but with savage strokes cleft both his foes down. Sir John, seeing his enemy was the last to fall, coiled back his arm and struck a single massive blow, sending his enemy unconscious to the ground.

Behind them, Sir Rhisiart wheeled his horse and fled.

ooc: I'll report damage once first aid is administered (or not).
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot