One Brief Shining Moment

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

Re: One Brief Shining Moment

#3301 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Tired after his long journey, one that had been plagued with worry and concern, John was almost relieved to see the ordered nature of the city, despite the Saxon occupation. He nodded his head to the man who had marked out the Saxon rapists.

'It is pleasing to see that King Cedric takes his Cymric oaths as seriously as his son would suggest,' he spoke to Sir Wade. 'Though it is strange to see a Saxon act so. I am intrigued to meet your king now.'
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Word

#3302 Post by Word »

Sir Eleanor's face betrayed a brief moment of resentment, followed by a long period of indesicion. Lowering her eyes to gaze at the floor before Lady Ellen, she admited quietly, "I am sorry my lady, but my long-time hate of Saxons leads me to say, as shameful as the words feel as I speak them, that Saxons have no honour to defend. I have managed to keep my temper around our guest so far and put on a show of friendliness, but I could never abide suggesting you allow him to defend his honour... And besides my immediate prejudice against him, there are myriad reasons why it would be dangerous to allow him to go ahead, as you have just said yourself. I only hope the weather improves and that Sir Galan and I can take Sir Cynric out for the day to ease some of the tension here." She chanced a brief flick of the eyes up to look at the Countess, but once again blushed with shame and averted her eyes.
cidracin

#3303 Post by cidracin »

"I think we have talked enough of last nights events. Lets get on the road back to Salisbury," says Owen upon seeing the Lady Rosyland's face grow dark. He hoped that the return journey would do the Lady some good.
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#3304 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Galan could almost feel a pang of sympathy for the Saxon. Not for the slurs against his father, for those are more then likely true even if he seemingly knows little of the history of their assault upon this land. It was goading a man in to a fight he could not fight. From the lessons he was learning, it seemed, unnoble. The Pict was beginning to wonder how many of these knights followed the ideals they were meant to.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#3305 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

The Countess nodded, slowly, and then raised her voice to address her guest. "Sir Cynric, I must decline your request. Think of all that the Cymric folk have suffered from the Saxons. Countless lives have been lost, and the two Pendragons have been slain through Saxon perfidy. They may not be your deeds, but while you are here you represent all Saxons and all their deeds to my people."

Sir Cynric nodded, his face tight with controlled anger. "I understand, Lady Ellen," he said. "As you say, other Saxons have much to answer for. Would that all people were as flawless as the British." He turned and stalked out.

"Sir Eleanor," the Countess said when he was gone. "You do not need to feel guilty for your emotions. Your honest anger is well-earned. It does not make you less of a knight to hold these emotions. It is only when the emotion holds you that it is something shameful, and your deeds these past week have shown time and again that it does not. Do not doubt yourself."
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Vastator Messoribus

#3306 Post by Vastator Messoribus »

"Say what you will sir, but I stood my ground and fought the beast alone, and were it not for me, we would all still believe it to be some supernatural entity" said the smug knight.
Windows 95: n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#3307 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

"Were it for you, boy, half the village would lay dead at your hand without you having an inkling as to the cause!"
Vastator Messoribus

#3308 Post by Vastator Messoribus »

"Enough! This is what the trickster wants. He seeks to drive us apart, making it easier for him to win."

OOC: Wow I'm late :s
Windows 95: n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition.
Word

#3309 Post by Word »

Eleanor bowed her head to the Countess, her cheeks red, her eyes lowered. "Thank you, my lady."

Including Sir Galan in her gaze, the red-haired knight asked the two of them, "Perhaps there is something else we can do to take his mind off this? Something not so dependent on the weather?"
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#3310 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

ooc: So, I got really busy, and OBSM was getting sort of overwhelming with its size and the amount of people in it and the amount of plot threads flying around... I think it's time to officially pronounce it dead. It was a mighty effort on all parts, with a lot of stuff that I was really proud of, and some stuff I was less than proud of, and it's sad that we couldn't do all 65 years!

If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer them. Thank you everyone who played, it was great while it lasted - and it certainly lasted a long time!
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#3311 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Ye olde magnets, how do they function?
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#3312 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Merlin did it.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#3313 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

:(
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#3314 Post by Luna Guardian »

Would you be against one of us picking up the GM duties? I know it's not going to be the same, but I for one would be very interested in keeping the story moving and see it to the end.

That being said, it has been a lot of fun and a true priviledge to play with you all :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
cidracin

#3315 Post by cidracin »

Wow I'm sad to see this RP officially called but at the same time I'm really proud to say I was part of this amazing RP from start to finish. When I started this my only RP expirience was with DAUs and after this I'd consider myself a true veteran. Looking at my first and last posts I can see how terrible of a poster I was at the beginning(thanks everyone for enduring my poststhen) and how much I improved by the end. OBSM has really helped my ability to write fiction outside of RPs so I'll always be grateful for that.

Cal- You are definately the best GM on the planet. How you kept all those plot threads in the air and going for so long surely would have been impossible for anyone but you. The fact that all of us were in different time zones and employed or enrolled made coming this far amazing. I'll always have happy memories of staying up till ungodly hours here in the States to chat and joke around with you Kiwis and Aussies though I always felt worse for PA having to do so from the UK :lol: I'm finishing up university this year and barely have anytime to be hanging around MSN anymore but having this end with my time at university feels strangely fitting. Thanks again for letting a newbie like me join this. I always enjoyed chatting with you on MSN about where OBSM or my characters were going or about stuff in general. Your an amazing writer and storyteller :D

PA- John was most definately the badass of the game. I always hoped one of my PCs would finally get command of the group when the tough old bastard died of ugliness but it was just not to be. :wink: John will forever be our looks challenged leader. One of my favorite moments in this RP was John kickking Lethodus' ass.

Bob- Always a pleasure to play with you and I was really glad that you returned to the game when you did. Alain was always a comelling interesting character to follow and his story arc is one I'm sad to see won't be completed. Glad to see Alain found some happiness with Teagen after his heartbreak earlier seems to be resolution of a sort though.

E Fenix- Thanks for joining up when we were running low on players after some original players left and it was always fun playing with you. Always liked your character and his drunk shennaningans :lol:

Luna- Pleasure to get to know you and chat with you. I wish we could have RPed longer togethor and wish that you were a part of OBSM from the start as you were great to play with. I liked that Owen and Perin's were buds and think they would have done legendary things given time.

Anarion- Don't know whether you're still lurking but I wanted to say it was a pleasure to play with you. You helped me set up my first character on MSN and I'm always thankful for that.

Everyone else- Sorry I never got to know the new players very well and Krusader you weren't a part of this long enough for me to knwo you that well but thanks everybody for taking part in this. :D
Last edited by cidracin on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
cidracin

#3316 Post by cidracin »

With my overly long thank yous out of the way I figured I'd put my questions in a seperate post.

1. What rally happened with Aldrydd and where was the witch plot supposed to go? Was Aldyrdd quasi alive? WHat was that damned witch's goal????? I hope you haven't forgotton as waiting to find out the answer has literally been a dream of mine for like 2 years. Also Aldrydd's death always gives me chills when I read it you made it that creepy so props as a writer and GM. The sweet moments with Elodie before it just make the horror even greater.

2. What was Aaron/the Black Knights goal?? As an aside Aaron was my least fav PC I created as he was bland due to my own fault. Owen and Aldrydd were much more compelling and fun to play.

3. How were you going to approach Owen's attempt to revive Kara?? Would it actually have been like Greek classics with a trip to hell/ the underworld like Orpheus did?

I'd love as much answers as you willing to give as these were all questions I was looking forward to discovering the answers to, unsuprisingly since they are the key points to my PC's characters lives and deaths in some cases! :wink: I always hoped that OBSM would end after Owen had got Kara back so one of my characters could end on a happy note, unlike death by witch and zombie. Hopefully a happy note was in Owen's future. That being said I think Owen and Kara's rommance was a great one in the tragic sense. Her choice to fight and subsequentlly die sword in hand against a king was one of my fav moments. Also liked Owen's development into the Kingkiller :D I liked how Owen kept killing everybody he met including some really important figures to John's anoyance :D
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#3317 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Luna: I don't mind if someone wants to take over in my place.

Cid: Based on Luna's question, I'll hold off on answering for the time being. :P
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#3318 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

To elaborate on my previous post:

Indeed, tis a shame that the quest should end thus. Never shall we see what it is that finally kills Sir John. By my count he's toppled an ungodly number of enemy Knights, Saxons, Gales, Francs but also Ceornred, Lethodus, a ghost and our good friend the giant. He also met that thing on Bodmin, Blacksnake, Merlin and to top it off, Arthur - probably my favourite point of the RP (or the siege of Pitton). Yes, I think it's safe to say the RP boards will never see his like again.

Cal - thank you. It was an epic RP which spanned three years of university. I may have worked harder on keeping John alive than I did on my studies - it paid off! Thank you for running it, and for giving me the opportunity to take part. If you're ever looking for a player somewhere, just give me a bell.

To my companions, well played sirs, it could not have been done without you. Thank you for tolerating John's descent into grumpy old bastards, and for managing to not get him killed. And thanks for being so bad he looked good :P

I jest of course. As Cid has said, I very much enjoyed staying up late to discuss our next moves, despite the UK time zone. It's a good job students can stay up till 4am on a regular basis. I have enjoyed every moment of the game, including the hair raising, frustrating moments where all hope looked lost. We made it through!

All that is left is for me to say thanks once again, and I hope to see you all in a new RP in the future - or this one, should Luna continue the game.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#3319 Post by Luna Guardian »

If I can catch Cal on Skype I would like to discuss the GM duties a little.

To everybody: I would love to continue this RP. However, I am not half the GM Cal is and if any of you have extensive GM experience, I would gladly concede the position. However, if no one else is willing, I would like to give it a try. Just give me a break when things aren't as colorful or fantastic as they were with our previous GM, ok?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
Word

#3320 Post by Word »

I'll be keen to carry on with you Luna. I don't know if Eleanor fits into your idea of a knight, if not I am happy to roll up a new character.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#3321 Post by Luna Guardian »

I'm perfectly happy with everyone's currents characters, and if you like the characters yourselves, I am perfectly ok with you keep on using them :)

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#3322 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

If you want Luna, I'll give you a hand. If we split the GMing duties a little, we can continue to play as well...
cidracin

#3323 Post by cidracin »

If someone wants to take over GM duties I'd be glad to keep playing. :D

I'll say this though that Cals right the amount of plots and NPCs in this RP is staggering. I think in just the first year we encountered a dizzying amount of characters which helped make this RP feel like such a sandbox. Thankfully a lot of the old NPCs cluttering the narratives were killed during the Uther's downfall freeing up a lot of narrative breathing room. If were going to move forward with this RP I think it may be wise to view this as a bit of a reboot or a fresh start. What I mean is that we should all accept some old plot threads will need to be abandoned and some elements of the RP moving forward will inevitably clash with past events as the new GM takes over and moves forward and makes Cal's world their own. I look forward to continuing our characters' journeys.

That being said I'd be glad to assist the new GM or GMs if possible :D
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#3324 Post by Etherion Fenix »

So I randomly pop back to see if anything is happening and I see this. :lol:
I'm still around, kind of, not really around much these days. Can try and carry on though be aware I don't remember at all what I was doing. :?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#3325 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

I've found the character sheets and will scan those and send them through when I can - which will probably be early next week. I've told Luna most of my plans. (Forgot to tell him the one about the peacock!)
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#3326 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

I'd be willing to be an assistant GM as necessary. I'm kind of rubbish at it though. :P
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#3327 Post by Luna Guardian »

Alright people, I'm almost set to start GMming this, but I would like to beg your indulgences for a few things:
1) Because I don't have the time to go through all of the backstory and character motivations, I am sorry to say that I will marginalize some of the older characters. This is because I can't run them consistently to how they were so far. Thankfully we have a bunch of new players (myself included) who have no idea who these characters are, so their loss will have only a minimal impact.
2) As soon as the rest of the preparations are finished, I will wrap up this year in a single post. After talking with Cal we came to the conclusion that there're simply too many threads going every which way currently for me to effectively and efficiently take control of the RP otherwise. This will cause a minor hiccup now, but it will hopefully prevent larger problems in the future.
3 (and this time, it's personal...) ) I would like to still keep adventuring with Sir Perin and he has several storylines already planned by Cal either underway or in the future, so if one of you would like to take on some of the GM duties with me, I would be very grateful. We can discuss exactly how the duties would be divided in private, for example over skype. Does everybody have skype? If not, you should get it, it's free and rather useful and I am on it a lot.
4) If everyone would be so kind as to rewrite your character sheets in one of these forms and send them to me:
British Pagan
Roman Christian
British Christian
Other, you may need to modify a little bit
Doing this makes it easier (for me and probably also for you) to keep track on wealth, stats, advancements etc.

I thank everyone for their understanding and will try my darnest to keep the game interesting and entertaining

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#3328 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Luna Guardian wrote:Alright people, I'm almost set to start GMming this, but I would like to beg your indulgences for a few things:
1) Because I don't have the time to go through all of the backstory and character motivations, I am sorry to say that I will marginalize some of the older characters. This is because I can't run them consistently to how they were so far. Thankfully we have a bunch of new players (myself included) who have no idea who these characters are, so their loss will have only a minimal impact.
John is important. If you want, I can run you through older characters as and when they become appropriate?

3 (and this time, it's personal...) ) I would like to still keep adventuring with Sir Perin and he has several storylines already planned by Cal either underway or in the future, so if one of you would like to take on some of the GM duties with me, I would be very grateful. We can discuss exactly how the duties would be divided in private, for example over skype. Does everybody have skype? If not, you should get it, it's free and rather useful and I am on it a lot.[/quote]

You've got it. Send me your Skype address and I'll run Perin.
cidracin

#3329 Post by cidracin »

Hey everybody :D Sorry I haven't gotten a chance to post about OBSM recently. To be honest Luna I stopped keeping track of my character sheet a long time ago so I'll have to talk to Cal about getting my stats if hehasn't given them to you already. Hope this is still going forward.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#3330 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Yes it is, me and Luna are planning on posting soon. I've been a little busy, but the christmas break will let me sort it out.