One Brief Shining Moment

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Anarion
The White Lion

Re: One Brief Shining Moment

#811 Post by Anarion »

Tinian mingled with the court, hoping to catch any news or important tidbits of information that were not commonly known. Much news had already circulated around Sarum, but there was always the possibility of other tidings that were less well distributed. His heart swelled at the sight of Katelynn and though her father was nearby he still made his way through the crowd to greet her, bowing to kiss her hand.

The youthful Gervais kept quietly in his wake, overwhelmed by the circumstances of his first duties as squire.

OOC: rolled a 6 for intrigue (Pass)
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#812 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

When the Court went hunting, it was Sir Aldrydd's skilled team who brought back the biggest prize for the court at the end of the day: a brace of quail, several hares, and most impressively of all a mighty boar which Sir Aldrydd had held down with his spear while the dogs slew it. As winner of the hunt, Sir Aldrydd's standing rose in court and many unattached ladies began to cast their eyes upon him with greater interest, although not those of Soissons, to his frustration, as he was captivated by the foreign beauties.

Sir John spoke to the bard Evyn briefly. Evyn still remembered the squires he had met three years ago, though he had been to many places since then. "The Praetor Syagrius has commissioned a song of your exploits at Dover," he said, and sung a small part for Sir John. While many of the basic details were correct, Sir Alain's pre-eminent role seemed to have been replaced by the Praetor himself, who Sir John knew hadn't even taken part in that desperate battle. However, Sir John knew that this was the way with great men: they often claimed the deeds of lesser men for their own, to their own end. The song served as yet another piece of propaganda for the Praetor to convince Cymric men to aid him in reclaiming his homeland. After talking to Evyn, Sir John took part in a mock battle staged for King Uther's entertainment, and acquitted himself quite honourably, before being 'slain' by the pre-eminent skill of Sir Jaradan, the Earl's champion. The final match for the 'battle' came down to Sir Jaradan versus Sir Brastias, the champion of the King, and even Sir Jaradan had to admit defeat.

Sir Alain talked for a time with Praetor Syagrius, who still remembered Sir Alain's contribution keenly. The Praetor revealed that no one had committed to him yet - several nobles in Logres had been helpful, but everything rested upon the decision of King Uther, and his mind was still unknown. Still, he hadn't rejected the Praetor's embassy immediately, as Malahaut and Cornwall had, so it was a promising sign there. More alarmingly, he said that the Franks had sent word to King Uther, calling for Syagrius to be handed over to them. If the King decided to side with the Franks, then Syagrius would be doomed.

Meanwhile, Sir Tinian flirted quite pleasantly with Lady Katelynn, who was not at all adverse to his advances. Her father seemed cooler to the young knight - he had no personal problems with Sir Tinian, but the daughter of an Earl deserved better marital prospects than a minor knight of no great standing.

Finally, the Christmas Feast began. This was a huge, week-long of celebration and gift-giving. With the presence of the King, Sarum delivered its most lavish and sumptuous feast yet. The Earl granted gifts to all of his servants, including the knights, who received lavishly decorated robes from him. Meanwhile, the nobility gave presents to the King, and all attending received them as well. The King granted to Prince Madoc the gift of a new set of armour, specially designed to have pieces of solid metal over some of the chain. He also granted to him several manors along the Thames, and the holding of Windsor Castle: a lavish gift, but not unusual for royalty.

Amongst the earls, Earl Roderick gave King Uther a beautiful cloak trimmed with the fur of white bears, imported from Norway. His gift was the most impressive of those given by the earls, but those of the Dukes all surpassed it easily. Finally, Prince Madoc called in his servants: ten retainers entered bearing treasure chests, and then opened them simultaneously. All contained plunder from the war effort against the Saxons: a chest of silver coins; another of gold; another of goblets and plates; another of jewelry; one of silver and gold; one of red and purple jewels; another of bolts of silk and samite; another of gold cloth and silver thread. Finally, the Prince himself unfurled a large cloth as if it were a carpet: it was a Saxon battle standard that he had captured. The King grinned with cruel satisfaction and pronounced his son's gift to be the most pleasing of them all.

The King then had various gifts brought forward for all present. To his lords, he gave goblets, jewelry, and a bolt of silk to one; a massive gold necklace and an illuminated book to another, and so on. For each knight in his household, he gave great handfuls of gold, and then a fistful of coins to each knight present from another household, including each of the knights of Salisbury.

After a long while, the gift giving ended, and the servants began to bustle about to clear the hall, to set up the tables for the evening meal, when suddenly a cold wind swept through the hall, and the doors flew open. Everyone stopped silently to stare at the single figure who stood outside the door, a ragged form bearing a single staff.

"Gold. Jewels. Hah!" the man said as he walked slowly into the hall, with a tread even more regal and dignified than the King's. "These are gifts suitable for a king. Yet you, Uther Pendragon, deserve more than these trinkets. Surely no one in the world has ever sat so high as you, not even the emperors of Rome."

"But there is one thing you lack! Such a great man who would restore peace to our land deserves all that would help him. And so I am pleased to offer you this!"

The old man swept forth from under his robes a sword, that glowed so brilliantly it was like the sun itself. The assembled court gasped in wonder and delight. As the glow faded, all present could see that that the blade was the finest ever made: this was what swordsmiths dreamed of and never achieved when they worked their art. Its pommel was noble but simply adorned, free from jewels. It was beautiful and deadly.

"For the High King... Excalibur, the Sword of Victory!" Merlin proclaimed, and extended the pommel of the sword to the High King.

All present in the room gasped aloud, and broke into applause and cheers when the King took it up and brandished it. "Surely now, no one can stand before me," he marvelled.

"All you need do," said Merlin, "is to remain just."
Anarion
The White Lion

#813 Post by Anarion »

Tinian noticed the earl's disposition toward him and it dampened his enthusiasm slightly. "Your father is not well disposed toward me," he said softly to Katelynn, while half wondering what he could do to curry her father's favor. He'd received new riches from both the Earl and the High King, but that surely would not be enough.

He felt the same amazement as the others when Merlin swept into the hall. And then he saw the sword for which they'd all fought to obtain for Merlin. The sword for which Gaius had died. Remembrance, pride and some resentment swept over him. Yet Gaius had died for a cause greater than their own, he thought. It hadn't been in vain, for here stood the king with that same sword in his hand.

He edged closer for a better look, careful not to break any courtesies but wanting to get nearer to Merlin. He wondered if the wizard recalled his face even. Or had they merely been tools?
Never moon a werewolf.
cidracin

#814 Post by cidracin »

Aldrydd's attempt to vent his frustration in the hunt had been a failure. He had felt calm for a while after his slaying of the massive boar for he thought that this accomplishment would finally win the attention of one of the ladies of Soissons. To his even greater frustration, Aldrydd found that his hope was proven false for the foreign woman still only showed disinterest towards him. His mood only worsened further with the arrival of Merlin, the old man who had refused to even spend a few minutes with Aldrydd advising him on how to kill the evil witch he sought to destroy. The old man had mocked him instead and left Aldrydd with the message that he needed to solve his own problems, but had Merlin recovered the sword from the lake unaided NO!!!! It was only when the old wizard revealed Excalibur that his frustration was banished and replaced by awe at the deadly beauty of the greatest of all blades.
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#815 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

John shook his head in amusement at the bards song, wondering if Alains recent misfortunes would prevent him seeing the funny side. Nevertheless, he congratulated the bard on the song, commending his work.

The mock battle was enjoyable, and John felt no shame or dishonour in his defeat to Sir Jaradin. The great knight was not the Earls champion for no reason.

When Merlin entered the room, John felt mixed emotions. He was upset that he and his friends had not been mentioned for their actions. He and the others had fought bravely - Gaius dying for the sword. However, he also felt pride seeing the king holding a glorious weapon, knowing he had helped and that his friends had not suffered in vein.

OOC: Two things - 1. Would I have brought my wife to this? 2. Is dropping below 13 in Modest effecting me in any way as it's a factor in Roman-Christian. I don't think it does, I just want to check.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#816 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

ooc: Wife, if you wanted to. Modest, doesn't matter at all.

King Uther stared at the sword in wonderment. All of the court gaped at the sight of the magnificent weapon. Merlin alone was unaffected; he was smirking.

"Now I'm ready to visit some friends of mine," the King said, with a booming chuckle, and the moment was broken. Nearby, Duke Ulfius laughed. "We shall pay a visit to the Duke of Lindsey. Perhaps the sight of Excalibur will convince him to uphold his oath to his King and to Logres."

He turned back to Merlin. "This is cause to celebrate then! Bring forward the tables, and make a place at my right hand for Merlin, whose wisdom and truth guides our good land."

"Thank you, Lord," the magician said... and then turned his back on the King entirely, to face Earl Roderick. "Roderick!" he snapped. "Watch these four well," he said, and gestured to the four knights. "Had it not been for them, and for Sir Gaius who is now with Our Lord, this wouldn't have happened. Give them rein to help Britain."

The knights had eaten more lavishly that Christmas than they had ever before, but the feast that they now enjoyed surpassed all expectations in its grandeur. It was as if the kitchen staff had become inspired by Excalibur's presence, and so the course upon course of meal displayed all of the artistry and skill and imagination that they could muster. The topic of conversation was, of course, the great sword Excalibur and the magician Merlin, but many remembered his words to the Earl and cast inquisitive gazes at the four knights.

Following the feast, Earl Roderick rose. "With the permission of my lord Merlin," he said in a loud voice, "all present have but one wish in their minds, and that is to hear how the sword Excalibur came to pass into the hands of the King! I speak for us all when I say that we would hear the story behind this." Applause and cheers supported his statement, but Merlin did not stand and waved a hand irritably. "Don't ask me!" he snapped, and the crowd grew silent. "The five knights of whom I spoke were much a part of this. I've shown off enough today. Let them speak!"

And all eyes turned to the four knights.
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
cidracin

#817 Post by cidracin »

Aldrydd rose from his seat at the table with the gazes of Lorges most powerful and influential people, including King Uther, fixed upon him and his companions. Aldrydd was a natural orator and had never had a fear of public speaking. But when he looked out onto the intent faces of his audience Aldrydd felt an alien fear wash over him as he prepared to address the crowd.
"My King, assembled lords, brother knights, and lovely ladies my name is Sir Aldrydd and I will tell you the tale of how Excalibur mightiest of all blades was recovered. My companions are Sirs Alain, John and Tinian and we are all knights in the service of the wise Earl Roderick of Salisbury. It was early in this year of our Lord that my companions along with the late Sir Gauis of Burcombe set out from the Salisbury on the road to London. We set out on a quest to find Sir Gauis' cousin Lady Elissa who had gone missing in London. It was still early in the year and spring had not yet arrived to take winter's chill from the air when on the road we encountered an elderly goat herder on the side of the road. The herder asked us to pay an old man a kindness and to fetch his precious goat who had escaped into the nearby hills. Hearing the elder’s plea we did what any noble knight of Lorges would have done and set out of the path to fetch the old goat herder's prize animal. Once we had reached the top of the hill we found a goat whose size eclipsed that of any warhorse of Lorges. When the creature spied us from afar it fled into a nearby wood and my fellows gave chase after it. When we finally caught up with the goat, we found it in the fist of an immense three headed giant of immense proportions. Upon our arrival the giant promptly hurled the huge goat to the side as if its weight was nothing. My companions and I immediately charged the lurid Gollum and in one swift attack crippled our foe. Sir John finished the huge creature off with a one powerful stroke of his sword. After the monster had drawn his last breath we heard the approach of the old goat herd behind us. As we looked upon him his features began to morph powered by some strange magic and when his features finally settled the figure that stood before us was none other than that of the legendary magician Merlin........................
will post the rest tomorrow guys Orate 11
Last edited by cidracin on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Anarion
The White Lion

#818 Post by Anarion »

Tinian took out his harp and began to accompany Aldyrdd's story with soothing and soft melodies, weaving the music around the words.

OOC: Fine with me I don't have time right now anyway. Must sleep! Rolled a 9 for harp.
Never moon a werewolf.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#819 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

@Praetor, the earlier conversation.

"Your cause is just, I'm sure you will find success. But tell me if you will, the piece of the True Cross that you carry, have you ever used it before? Has it been used on yourself? It seems to have done more than just heal my wounds."
___

Alain sat despondent at the table, he was being forced into some marriage with some fool of a serving girl. The tribulations and trivialities of court intrigue equally grated on him, small pathetic men playing at being leaders. Rivers of blood and death consumed his mind still, a portrait of what was to come, a tight-lipped artist yet still declined to comment on its birth. He continued to sit disinterested as the Sword Excalibur was presented, he cared little, he'd seen it before, Uther at least presented a grander image than most. He more than others here was at least worthy.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#820 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

John picked up the story, in the same manner as Aldrydd.

'Once the Lord Merlin had revealed is true form to us, we accompanied him further into the swamp. There, at a lake which glowed with an inner light, we fought a daemon of steel and water. We fought it long, hard and with honour, but it was too strong for our friend Gauis who was struck down. He died serving Britain and the king.'

He paused for breath

'The monster was a powerful one, but ultimately would not compete with those who fought for their country, and it was slain.' He remembered striking the final blow, but thought of his friends, 'I do not know who struck the last blow, but it does not matter for it was slain by each of us. While we fought the monster Lord Merlin sailed out onto the lake, and was given the sword by the hand of a glowing woman. I have never seen something so amazing. Then, Merlin thanked us and left. But we had no time to dwell on this, for we had important matters of the Earl's to attend to.'
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Anarion
The White Lion

#821 Post by Anarion »

The dulcet tones of Tinian's harp swelled as Aldrydd and John fell silent, filling the hall. His music retold the story one last time, reaching its crescendo and falling away quietly. His hands left the strings and his eyes met those of the High King.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#822 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Men stared enviously at the four knights as Sir Aldrydd spun a tale of valour and magic about them, supported by the music of Sir Tinian's harp. Women's eyes were filled with admiration, and maybe more, for the heroes. "Paladins, all!" declared the Earl proudly. "Hail to them, and to Merlin!" The assembled table raised their flagons. "Hail!" they bellowed.

Over the next few days, the knights found that their standing had increased considerably. Rather than just namely knights, they were now the talk of the court. The Praetor came to visit each of the knights again and tell them once more of his gratitude towards them. To Sir Alain he apologised for having to break off their earlier conversation, and told him something of the Cross and its history. As a sacred relic it had been used but rarely, but never before had it inspired madness or prophecy. With Sir Aldrydd and Sir Tinian he broached the possibility of marriage to one of the bevy of heiresses to thank them for their contributions. Sir John, meanwhile, was approached again by Prince Madoc, who was much more eager to have the four knights join him on his naval attack against the Saxons. "I understand that my father will ask you to join his embassy to the Duke of Lindsey, however," he said. "Were you to do that, I would take it as no affront - but he would take it as no affront should you wish to increase your glory once more in battle against the enemies of our homeland."

Sir Tinian was approached by the bard Evyn. "My lord," the bard said, "I was impressed by your performance today. So few have any skill at the musical arts. I have come to congratulate you on this, but so too has the King Uther Pendragon, whom I serve. He has sent me so that no undue attention be due to you at this time." Evyn explained that, due to the fragmented nature of Britain and how many noblemen had abandoned their duty to their King, Uther had established a spy network throughout Logres, using the itinerant bards as his agents. "My lord, King Uther held his court in Sarum this year to find a new spymaster for we bards to report to in Salisbury, for the last knight who took this duty died in the fighting against the Saxons at Caercolun. I feel, and he feels, that your talents would be uniquely suited to this duty: to be a sponsor of the musical arts, and to pass the information that we find back to His Majesty. What say you?"

Meanwhile, Sir Aldrydd returned to his room to find Merlin waiting for him there. The old man had evidently let himself in: surprising, for he had not been seen since the feast. "I've decided to give you a little help," Merlin said, before Sir Aldrydd had a chance to speak. "What you do with it is up to you. Here, catch," he said, and threw a small leather pouch to Sir Aldrydd. Inside, something black and warm and fleshy sat. "What the witch took from you, I have taken from her," Merlin grinned. "That should sway the bargain further in your scale." Ignoring Sir Aldrydd, he then strode out the door and was gone.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#823 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

John bowed his head to the Prince, recognising the other's higher status and importance.

'My Lord, you do me a great honour of offering me and my companions a chance to fight the Saxon that ravage our homeland. You do me an even greater honour by not taking offence should I turn your generous offer down. While I cannot speak for my friends, you put me in a difficult position, my liege. I would not dream of turning down the request of either yourself or your father. Had I chance, I would do both, and I hope that this may still be the case. joining you in battle would be a great boon for me, a special honour after your great successes this summer. But then, it would be a similar honour to aid the king. Of course,' he smiled, 'the king may not yet ask me. Let me think on it Prince Madoc, and allow me to talk to my companions. But, whichever I choose please be sure that I do not take either decision with happiness for not taking the other.'

OOC: Gonna have to think about this. Madoc is good for glory and fighting, making use of my sword training, but the Kin leave more interesting plot ideas...
Anarion
The White Lion

#824 Post by Anarion »

Tinian noted the change in attitude toward himself and his three friends. He hoped it extended to Earl Arnulf as well.

Politely he thanked the Praetor for his offer, but he was not tempted at all. For Katelynn alone his heart aspired. "I hope that you achieve the aid that you seek, Praetor. For myself I cannot accept, except if the High King himself goes to your aid in full strength."

He returned from that meeting to seek the lady herself. Dearly did he want to ask for her hand, and recklessly he told her so. "Yet," he added, "I fear your father would refuse me, even if you did not Lady Katelynn." This last came almost as a question, for though she had not refused his advances, he did not know whether even she would accept a common knight as paramour and husband."

Tinian was stunned at the offer Evyn was presenting. A chance to serve the High King was not one to be sniffed at. But he wondered how it would affect his allegiance to Earl Roderick, for surely he would have to spy upon his own lord. Still, the Earl seemed loyal, Tinian could hardly imagine any shred of treason in the man. He made a snap decision. "I will do it," he said. "Tell me more of what duties I will have. How will I continue to serve the Earl? Will he know my position? Will anyone?"

OOC: made a reckless checks, passed both.
Never moon a werewolf.
cidracin

#825 Post by cidracin »

Aldrydd stared aghast at the disgusting content of the leather pouch Merlin had just given to him. He felt a strange certainty that the organ lying in the palm of his hand was in fact the appendix of the witch of Chute Forest. But what was he to do with Merlin's strange gift? He knew not what uses he could put the unholy organ to or what effects of its destruction would have on its owner. Aldrydd decided that such thoughts could wait until the court dispersed. His immediate concern was how and where he was to store the pouch and its contents. For the moment at least he decided to store and lock the pouch in the bottom of the chest in his room where his personal valuables were kept. He would have to devise a safer resting place for the organ later for he refused to carry the pouch upon his person.

Having locked Merlin's "gift" away Aldrydd turned his mind to the matter, which until Merlin's sudden reappereance, had chiefly consumed his thoughts. This was of course of what he was to do about the offer extended to him by Praetor Syagrius. When they had last spoken Syagrius had made it clear that if Aldrydd felt the desire that he could take one of the Soissons’s heiresses as his wife. With the approval of the Earl of course, for the marriage would come with a pledge of aid that as a servant of the Earl Aldrydd could not make himself. Ultimately he had decided that if the Earl Roderick decided to extend his blessing on the union he would accept the Praetor’s offer. For over the course of his stay at Sarum Aldrydd had found himself increasingly attracted to one heiress in particular. Out of all the ladies of Soissons she alone had auburn hair. Her beauty was great even amongst the gorgeous heiresses and only a couple of the other ladies rivaled her beauty.

Later that day Aldrydd requested that Syagrius come to his room to discuss the specifics of the Praetor’s offer. Upon his arrival Aldrydd greeted the Praetor with a warm smile. “I am glad that you came to speak with me Praetor. I wanted to discuss the specifics of the offer you made a few days ago. If I accept your offer what do you expect of me in return?”
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#826 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Later in the week, Earl Roderick spoke to Sir John. "The King is preparing an embassy to the Duke of Lincoln," Roderick said softly. "The Duke has been recalcitrant in obeying the Pendragon lately: he is jealous of the King and gives only the token service required to have Uther protect his lands. Now that the King has Excalibur, he intends to pay Lincoln a visit and win over his loyalty more fully. The testimony of the knights who aided Merlin in winning the Sword of Victory from the Other World would be a mighty aid for Uther. And, of course, the Duke of Lincoln is one of the members of the Supreme Collegium. If Uther can win him over, then he can become High King as his brother was. This will help him in uniting Logres against the Saxon tides. Of course, I know that Prince Madoc has approached you as well. Should your blood call for battle, he is a fine commander and you would achieve much glory under him, as well as striking a dire blow to the Saxons by destroying their naval power. I leave the choice up to you. Merlin sees something special in the four of you, and even if he hadn't told me this I'd believe it, after your exploits at Dover."

Evyn and Sir Tinian continued to discuss the knight's position. While Sir Tinian would continue to serve Earl Roderick normally, he would have information passed along to him, and would be responsible for directing the spies of the King when they travelled through Salisbury. With lords such as Cornwall and Lindsey, amongst others, paying lip service at best to King Uther, it would be best to spy out any potential threats or rivals in advance.

Lady Katelynn, meanwhile, laughed at Sir Tinian's question. "I refuse you? Few knights would court me - for while I am personable enough, it is a rare man who would wish Letholdus as a brother-in-law. The question is whether such a great and mighty hero as yourself should accept me." With that she kissed Sir Tinian again, making his knees weak. She was certainly not shy in her kisses - or, as Sir Tinian learned later that night - in her affection in other ways.

Praetor Syagrius happily assented to Sir Aldrydd's marriage to the beauteous Mme. Elodie, on the grounds that Sir Aldrydd support his crusade to reclaim Soissons. If Syagrius succeeded, then Sir Aldrydd would be able to retrieve Mme. Elodie's lands, which would be his lands upon their marriage, and become the Comte d'Evreux. However, the Earl was less enthusiastic. "If I agree to this marriage," he said slowly, "then I am tacitly agreeing with Syagrius' dreams of reclaiming Soissons with the Franks. I don't think that this is possible, and I don't think that the King will acquiesce. Our own borders are too beset to worry about the continent. If he does agree, Aldrydd, I will grant you leave to marry this Frenchwoman with great pleasure; but until then, it would not be politic. Do you understand?"
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
cidracin

#827 Post by cidracin »

"Yes my lord I understand. I have no desire to put you in a comprimising posistion and will abide by King Uther's decision in this matter." replied Aldrydd failing to hide his dissapointment at the Earl's decisions. Aldrydd knew the Earl was right to believe that the King would not lend his support to Syagrius's cause. For the Pendragon already had enough trouble keeping his Dukes in line and the Saxons at bay. Still Aldrydd clung to the hope that Uther would assent to the Praetors request for aid and that he and the beuatiful Elodie would be married.
Last edited by cidracin on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarion
The White Lion

#828 Post by Anarion »

Tinian was overwhelmed at the direction things had gone, in more areas than one. It seemed clear that he would have to ride with the High King, though he'd heard rumblings that the knights had also been invited to join Prince Madoc's following. He wondered what course the others would choose.

Resuming his discourse with Evyn he asked, "Are all bards in this service or will I be apprised in some way those who are." He found he was most eager to begin this new direction, certain as he was that it would not compromise his loyalties. "More so, do I report to anyone or just send my messages to the High King, trusting that those who deliver it are worthy of that trust?"

OOC: ok, I am sure I know the answers to that but Sir Tinian might not.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#829 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"You will know us by the songs that they sing," Evyn said. "There is a code of songs that we use - different subjects correspond to different code messages. If you wish to send a report to the High King, then you must inform one of us, and we shall carry the message."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#830 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

When he got the chance, John gathered his companions and laid out the details of what the Prince and the King had told him.

'So that's the choice. Either accompany the Prince and fight the Saxons or accompany the King. I am personally inclined to aid the Prince, as I am far from capable in matters of state.'
cidracin

#831 Post by cidracin »

"I to am inclined to follow the Prince as we will be fighting the Saxons on the sea and my skills are suited towards that kind of combat. The Prince will have need of men who are able mariners that can captain a ship." said Aldrydd.
Anarion
The White Lion

#832 Post by Anarion »

Tinian sighed. "Very well," he said. "Though my heart says we should instead follow the High King, I feel that it is not yet my time to separate from you, my brothers and friends. I will ride with Prince Madoc as well."

OOC: rather than split the group
Never moon a werewolf.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#833 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

"Do as you see fit, I'll be content enough to be away from this place. I find it ever more perilous and unwelcoming with every passing year."
cidracin

#834 Post by cidracin »

With all of the knights agreed to aid the Princes quest Aldryddd took leave of his companions. Knowing that he would soon be going away to war and that he may well not return Aldrydd resolved that he would finally muster the courage to talk with the lovely Madame Elodie. It took all of Aldrydd's cunning but late in the day Aldrydd managed to catch Elodie alone in the castle. Mustering his courage he approached Elodie wearing his warmest smile. "Grettings Madame Elodie," He paused to bow and to kiss the lady's hand. "I am Sir Aldrydd, the knight who requested your hand from Syagrius. I also fought at the beaches of Dover, if you remember. I've been trying to talk to you since you arrived but I'm afraid the Praetor has done his best to prevent that."
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#835 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Eet is to be expected," the beautiful lady said, each word dropping from her crimson lips like heavenly ambrosia. "'ee does not want uz to loose our value to 'eem." She shook her head. "Zo you are ze on whom I am to be awarded to as a trophy in exshange for your assistaunce. Ah suppose it will break up ze monotony of life here, following after ze Praetor. Does it ever stop raining here?"
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
cidracin

#836 Post by cidracin »

"I never wished to have you awarded as a trophy Elodie. In Britain it is custom to court a lady before becoming bethrothed, apparently Soisson's traditions must be different. I would not have you marry me if you find me unappealing. I came to talk to you because I wished to get to know you better as well as to see if you found me attractive." Aldrydd said abashedly. "As for the rain it is frequent, but I find it can be quite pleasent when I'm not on the road don't you?"
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#837 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Oui, een Soissons it is differaunt," Elodie said, her tone still disgusted. "As a member of ze court, I marry whoever ze Praetor says I should marry. My feelings are secondary to 'ees politics. Ah tell you, right now I would razzer be fat az a suckling pig and back in France with ze ozzers zan be 'ere now, being ogled by men 'ooz politics is determined by zeir codpiece."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
cidracin

#838 Post by cidracin »

"If respect your feelings Elodie. If you do not wish to marry me I will tell the praetor I've had a change of heart. Though if you were free to go where you willed were would you go. And what would you do when you got there?" Aldrydd asked curiously.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#839 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Where could I go? I 'ave no money, no servants, nozzing. My options are, you might say, limited."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
cidracin

#840 Post by cidracin »

"Limited in your options Elodie!!" he said with a chuckle and smile . "You are the fairest I have ever laid eyes on!! And I sense that under your beautiful exterior lies a very charming woman when the sky is blue and the weather dry. What more could any man wish for?"