Stargate RPG

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

Stargate RPG

#1 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time watcher of the Stargate franchise and with the recent arrival of Stargate Universe, I've found myself re-watching all the SG1 and Atlantis episodes - particularly those of SG1. So, with my interest piqued, I going to have a crack at GMing a RP game base on the Stargate universe. If you're interested, read on.

Criteria for the RP:

- You will require a reasonable knowledge of the Stargate Franchise. You may not need to know exactly what happens, but you need to know who main characters are, what the different races are and what technology is in use.
- I want at least semi-experienced RP'ersm who are going to contribute regularly, and will be posting in more than 1 or 2 lines.

Now the interesting stuff.

- The Set around Season 5-6, with Earth fighting the forces of Anubis.
- You'll be playing an SG team sent off planet on a mission, and the RP will evolve from there.
- 4-8 players, tops. Most likely a limit of 6.

Character creation:

- I downloaded a hugely long RP book for this, which utilises specific skills, character classes and lots of D10, D20 checks etc. However, having examined it, it's nearly 500 pages long, and very complex. Therefore unless you all want to use that, and are willing to download it then we will use the following Character creation/layout, which is a very much dumbed down version:

Name - self-explanatory

Race - Most people will be Human. However, if we get 6 one person may play a Tok'ra or a Jaffa, another may play an alien if 8 people play.

Rank - Human military personnel will have ranks. I want one Colonel to lead the squad, the rest can take ranks as they please, though no more than one captain either ;) Those of a scientist or archeologist class (see below) will not have ranks.

Sex - again, self-explanatory

Class - Humans choose from the following: Military, Scientist, Medic, Archeologist. Each one will have bonuses and disadvantages as written below.

Once a character is created, you roll for attributes. Each attribute will have points assigned by me based on your character descriptions. As a rule, Military will be better at dexterity, bravery, stamina and perception, while other classes will be better at the others.

Strength: This details how strong you are in physical requirements, and how well you fight in hand to hand.
Dexterity: How well you shoot, as well as tasks which require moving and balancing.
Stamina: How tough you are.
Endurance: How long you can stay awake and how long you can continue in a task before you become tired.
Charisma: How well you interact with others.
Intelligence: How well you do at solving puzzles.
Perception: How well you notice things.
Bravery: How well you handle various physiological factors.

Aside from these, different characters will have different skills I will inform you of. Some other these will be standard of all people of you're class, some will be specific for you. Tok'ra may choose anything but medics, while Jaffa must be military and select marine.

Military - none. However, they may choose one from the following:

Point man - this character excels in scouting and sneaking. He has an increased perception and endurance.
Marine - this character is a tough soldier, and is the mainstay of most SG teams. He has an increased dexterity and Stamina.
Commander - Only the Colonel may take this, and he must. He has an an overall increase in his stats compared to other soldiers.
Heavy weapons - This character takes the bigger guns on the missions. He has an increased strength, and can lay demolitions.

Medics - they have the ability to make field dressings and heal wounding team members.

Archeologists - these characters have two abilities. They can read alien languages, analyze various structures and are better at conversing with alien cultures, as well as understanding alien cultures.

Scientists - these characters are the only ones capable of fixing machinery, using complex technology and building things of a complex nature.

In addition:

Tok'ra - they have healing abilities due to their symbiote, can read Goa'uld and have a small science skill.
Jaffa - Have the same healing abilities due to their symbiote, and can read Goa'uld. They also gain an additional strength and stamina bonus.

Quite generic I know, but it gives the jist of what I want. These class skills give bonuses and negative modifiers to skill checks.

Skill checks are done in order to succeed or fail in tasks. They are done simply by having a difficulty and comparing it with your skill in the relevant attribute combined with modifiers and a dice roll. You get higher, you succeed. Lower, you fail. Very much higher is critical success, very much lower is a critical failure.

Experience. When you do something I feel warrants experience boosts, I'll let you add a number of skill points to attributes. I will also allow you to create a skill for yourself, which you must run by me, based on what you've done. So, for example, say a solider spends a lot of time working with some aliens, I may allow him to create a skill giving him a bonues when working with cultures etc.

Equipment. All characters have the following equipment:

P90 machine gun, with several extra clips. Jaffa may swap this for a staff weapon. Tok'r may swap this for a Zat'nik'tel.
M9 Beretta pistol, with several extra clips.
Rations for a week.
Body armour.
Head armour, should they choose it. (go for a Daniel Jackson look)
An IDC emitter.
Flashlights.
Walkie-Talkies

In addition:

Medics have field dressings and various medicines.
Archeologists have notepads, writing equipment and a camera.
Scientists have basic equipment such as ammeters.

It should all become clear as you play. This may seem to simplistic for some, too complex for others. However, I'm trying to reach a nice middle ground. Any questions or comments, please PM me and I'll answers.

Finally, a word of advice. While a soldier is more exciting and powerful, I thoroughly recommend you have at least one scientist, medic and archeologist, and about 3-4 soldiers. The RP I hope is going to work well, and will run over the course of a while. The ideas I have means you'll need these characters.
Last edited by Prince_Asuryan on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Burning Sun
Fire and Faith

Re: Stargate RPG

#2 Post by Burning Sun »

I'd like to give this a try, yes please.

Name - Azuma Sun
Race - Human
Rank - Major
Sex - Male
Class - Medic (Field Medic)

Attributes:
Strength - 45
Dexterity - 52
Stamina - 50
Endurance - 45
Charisma - 20 (when dealing with aliens, 15)
Intelligence - 47
Perception - 38
Bravery - 37

Skills:
Make Field Dressing
Heal wounded team member

Equipment:
P90 machine gun, with several extra clips.
Rations for a week.
Body armour.
Military issue baseball cap
An IDC emitter.
Flashlights.
Walkie-Talkies
Field dressings and various medicines.

Background:
Despite the name, Major Sun is stereotypically American in many ways. He is trained as a doctor, but would much rather be shooting than healing. He is out on the field as a field medic because he believes that this is for everyone's good, and he is a firm believer in not leaving men behind. Unfortunately, his short patience for ... well most things ... makes him very good at patching people up to survive, and less useful for the cosmetic results. When faced with a downed colleague, he will head out providing his own cover fire, drag the soldier back to safety, still providing cover fire, and only then consider if he might be able to actually patch the person up. This makes for a decent amount of efficiency, and reasonable survival rates, but his patients have the scars to show for it, and aren't all best pleased by his attitude to raw survival before healing.
Sun became involved in the Stargate program when a major heard that he had retreated for a full half mile through forest with a child over one shoulder, staunching it's wound with one hand, and providing cover fire with the other until he reached the safety of the nearest friendly truck. He had only been a lieutenant at the time, and the child had survived. The major recruited him shortly afterwards.

There, how's that?
[size=90]Ex-Loremaster, despite what some of the profile may say, I can't edit it any more. Contact one of the others for issues.

Whaia e koe ki te iti kahurangi; ki te tuohu koe, me maunga teitei - Maori Proverb
(Seek the treasure you value most dearly: if you bow your head, let it be to a lofty mountain)[/size]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#3 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Sure, that works Sun. Character is fine, and skills are standard.

The only thing was that I'd assign your character the attribute points, on a number scale from 1-100. So, going by your table it would be something like this, including changes I mention below:

Strength - 45
Dexterity - 52
Stamina - 50
Endurance - 45
Charisma - 20 (when dealing with aliens, 15)
Intelligence - 47
Perception - 38
Bravery - 37

To explain my reasoning:

Strength is standard for a human. However, he has a small boost due to being a soldier first and foremost.
Dex - he takes a hit because while he was doing his medical training, he will have lost out on shooting practice.
Stamina - standard for human.
Edurance - again, standard for a human.
Charisma - low by your own admittance. However, if he's short with people, he'll be even worse dealing with aliens.
Int - gets the standard 40, and a boost. He must be clever to make medical school.
Bravery - boost to what you give him, due to being a soldier and medics often have to work while under fire. Nerves would have been a better thing to call it.

[hr]

To further my example in case it wasn't clear, if an archeologist was taken, he would have something like the following stats:

Strength - 40 - standard human.
Dexterity - 40 - standard human with practice.
Stamina - 50 - standard human
Endurance - 43 - slight boost as he would be physically fit to go off world on a mission.
Charisma - 55 - boosted because he works with other cultures all the time.
Intelligence - 45 - boost due to his profession and learning.
Perception - 35 - not used to looking for danger.
Nerves - 30 - not combat personnel and he'd rather run.

A scientist would find a decrease in charisma, an increase in intelligence. It's the skills that make these guys different.

Obviously, as experience is gained, you can add to different skills.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Burning Sun
Fire and Faith

#4 Post by Burning Sun »

Yes, having statted up bad bravery, I then wrote a back story of heroism didn't I? Whoops.

I like those stats, and the explanations. I'll edit that into my previous post.
[size=90]Ex-Loremaster, despite what some of the profile may say, I can't edit it any more. Contact one of the others for issues.

Whaia e koe ki te iti kahurangi; ki te tuohu koe, me maunga teitei - Maori Proverb
(Seek the treasure you value most dearly: if you bow your head, let it be to a lofty mountain)[/size]
cidracin

#5 Post by cidracin »

Hey Asuryan :D

I'd like to join your RP as I am a huge SG1 fan. I own every season of the show and have seen most episodes twice so I have a great knowledge of the Stargate universe. Although I only watched Atlantis for the first two seasons. I'm not a very expirienced RPer but I think I know enough to do well. Also I'm definately able to post reguarly. :D

I'd be interested in being military if thats okay. Should I describe atrributes like Sun did originally? Do you assign skills like pointman marine or heavy weapons? I'm assuming you'll be assining the Colonel and Captain ranks? If I'm in I'll have a profile up later today.
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#6 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Cidracin,

Sure, take a provisional spot. If it fills loads, I may drop you for a more experienced RP'er, but it's unlikely.

Stats - do what you think is appropriate, but expect me to moderate them if I think they're inappropriate. Remember, soldiers are supposed to be low non-physical skills in general.

Class skills - you select what you want. If you want the pointman, take it.

Ranks - no, you choose ranks. If you nab the Colonel spot, it's yours. It will require a tad more role playing though, as you're in charge of the squad and ultimately have to make decisions regarding what you do. I only guide you and present you with options.
cidracin

#7 Post by cidracin »

Thanks Asuryan I'll write up my profile and post by tonight. I'd like pointman so I'll write that up. Since Sun is a major what ranks besides colonel are appropriate? I know I'll pass on Colonel and leave it for someone more expierienced.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#8 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Ranks orders:

Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Major
Captain
First Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Sergent
Private
The Darkness

#9 Post by The Darkness »

I was a huge Stargate fan back in the days and would watch it religiously... unfortunately my knowledge of the show has faded away a bit in years since so unfortuneately I might have to miss out on this one though I will certainly be watching from the sidelines.

Would wikipedia provide some of the knowldege needed or is something a bit more founded needed?
[b]Azazel Fellmane, The Black Pearl of Anar[/b]
[b]Champion of Oblivion[/b]
[b]Fashion Guru of Chaos[/b]
Elven Skins Flayed: 240
36/4/4

[b][u]The Confused Barbarian... Lost in the the seas near Lustria.[/u][/b]
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#10 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Put me down as a maybe. If I don't, I might share some ideas with you though.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#11 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

The Darkness wrote:Would wikipedia provide some of the knowldege needed or is something a bit more founded needed?
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_Wiki

Should be enough, but there's a fair amount to read...

Bob of Beleriand wrote:Put me down as a maybe. If I don't, I might share some ideas with you though.
Ok, cheers Bob.
Last edited by Prince_Asuryan on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#12 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Did you grab the supplement books also? If not I might share a bunch of relevant and useful items from it.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#13 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

I've got the System Lords source book and season 2 friends and foes. There's some other stuff free on a website, but not loads.

As I said, some of the stuff I've got is really complex in terms of stats and abilities - a bit much for me to GM first time round, and I'd need really good RPers for that. Any advice though is much appreciated.
cidracin

#14 Post by cidracin »

Asuryan here is my character profile. Thanks again for giving me a spot even a provisional one. I'm looking forward to this RPG :D

Name – Kelly Murphy
Race - Human
Rank - Captain
Sex – Male
Class – Military
Skill: Point man

Strength: 42
Dexterity: 57
Stamina: 50
Endurance: 48
Charisma: 34
Intelligence: 30
Perception: 56
Bravery: 40

Point man - this character excels in scouting and sneaking. He has an increased perception and endurance.

Equipment:
P90 machine gun, with several extra clips.
Rations for a week.
Body armour
An IDC emitter.
Flashlights.
Walkie-Talkies
NO Head Armour

Background:
Captain Murphy enlisted in the Marines Corps. upon graduation of high school. After he graduated basic training among the top of his class he was accepted ito Marine Scout Sniper School. He served as a Scout Sniper for years with distinction and eventually gained an officer's comission. During this time he attracted the attention of the Air Force and Stargate Command for his scout and reconnaissance abilities. Since joining the SGC he has continued to excel in reconnaissance and scouting roles and is respected throughout the SGC for his abilities. He has also been promoted to the rank of Captian, making him the second in command of his SG team.
Captain Murphy is a dedicated soldier whose entire adult life has been spent in service of his country. He will always obey his superior officers orders even if they are morally wrong or questionable. He is good man, well respected and generally liked by his peers in the SGC. He is also very loyal to his friends and SG teammates. One of Captain Murphy's flaws is that he is does not trust aliens easily, even thier allies the Tokra and Jafa freedom fighters. When dealing with off worlders he is always alert and on the lookout for traps and betrayal. This is ussually uncalled for although his vigilance has saved lives on more than one occasion.
Last edited by cidracin on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#15 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Stats are thus:

Strength: 42
Dexterity: 57
Stamina: 50
Endurance: 48
Charisma: 34
Intelligence:30
Perception: 56
Nerves: 40

You also have the ability to sneak around enemies much more effectively than your comrades.

Made a mistake in the classes - Pointman increases Endurance, Marine increases Stamina.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#16 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Alright consider my interest piqued, but I'm still willing to give you a bunch of notes and some of the supplement books I have PA. I have the actual books.

Name - Bob Franklin
Race - Human
Rank - Colonel (unless someone else wants it)
Sex - Male
Class - Military Commander

Stats:
Strength: 40
Dexterity: 55
Stamina: 55
Endurance: 50
Charisma: 45
Intelligence:35
Perception: 40
Nerves: 45

Background:

Bob initially met resistance during his enlistment within the Marine Corps Officer Candidates training. His informal and easy-going manner was a point of contention amongst instructors and drill sergeants. Graduating barely, Bob did several tours through the hot-spots of the world, gaining a reputation as a charismatic but more importantly capable officer.
Bob was short-listed for recruitment to Marine Force Recon after several years of service, working at the company level, Bob's attitude continued to rub many other officers the wrong way, whilst however, making him immensely popular with the enlisted and non-commissioned men under his command.
Bob become involved with the SGC as the result of a Court-Martial hearing. Bob having been charged with striking a fellow officer with the butt of his rifle, following the officer's hazardous and incompetant command leading to a sizable number of Marines being killed. Officers higher up the chain-of-command had come to learn the events leading to the attack, sending him off to the SGC allowed them to save the career of a promising officer.

Note: I hate and suck at writing backgrounds, so my apologies for the poor quality but it should be enough to give you a general feel. Also, no he's not a parody or a homage to Jack O'Neil's attitude.
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#17 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Ok, we have three.

1 more and we can get going, though ideally we can get 2 more - a scientist or archeologist, and maybe a Jaffa of Tok'ra. Once we have these few more, I'll set up the play thread, and set out the guidelines for rules etc. in a little more detail.
The Darkness

#18 Post by The Darkness »

If there is still space in a day or so I'll get a character up. I just need to read all that background and get through a few hours of homework. Also I'll be aiming for an archaeologist for the character.
36/4/4

DarkTyrany22

#19 Post by DarkTyrany22 »

If this is actually being run (no reply in a week >.>) I could play as either a scientist or one of the non-human races. Haven't seen all or even most of the episodes, but I'm familiar enough with the universe.
Jyrus Yenlukhaesrath, High Prince of Tiranoc - 211 Slain; 26/4/6
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/drtjuu.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg1-2z7vn.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/vacfvv.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/b4vh6w.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/phoemze6.gif[/img]
The Darkness

#20 Post by The Darkness »

As interesting as this looks I've become inundated with assignments and homework so I think right now I won't have the time to get a character together for it. If I get the chance later on and theres still space though I might see but otherwise I'll just read on from the side.
36/4/4

Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#21 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

DarkTyrany22 wrote:If this is actually being run (no reply in a week >.>) I could play as either a scientist or one of the non-human races. Haven't seen all or even most of the episodes, but I'm familiar enough with the universe.
I'm still planning on running it, but I need at least one more player really...

If you join, we'll get it going.