Tales of Beleriand

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Anarion
The White Lion

Re: Tales of Beleriand

#2191 Post by Anarion »

The dwarf shrugs. "Orcs aplenty; elves... you are the first in a long time."

OOC: If you feel this is an unsuitable location you can say so... :) Sorry for the slowness for the past few days, busy with work and trying to sell my house.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2192 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë sighed visibly. "The Elves long gone you say, not a surprise. This would be a good spot to monitor the movements of the orcs, but this is not for us." He bowed towards the small one with respect. "I thank you for your information, Master Dwarf."
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2193 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"Are there other areas, like this or of greater secrecy that you know about in these lands? We are enemies of the great enemy and thus you need not fear your secrets going any further then our ears."
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Anarion
The White Lion

#2194 Post by Anarion »

Still enamoured of the Sunflower that Angloth held, the dwarf wasted no time in responding. His anger and fear of the elves had given over to his greed.

"Many places have I roamed to escape the hunting of the orcs... and the hunting of the elves." He looked for regret and sympathy from them and found none. "Aye my people were treated as little better than animals, hunted to near extinction by your kin, and more so by those that you call Sindar."

"I have seen many places that have long been hid from the eyes of all except the creator. Seek the mountains due south of here and you will find a lost place within. But if my home is revealed then I curse you to a lifetime of suffering and torment." His eyes snapped venomously suddenly.
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2195 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Ah, that's what he needed to know. He smiled, they had gotten something very good, hopefully.
"Fear not child of Aule, no word of you or yours," Angloths arm sweeping in their surrounds. "Shall ever pass these lips or those of my companions." He steps forward, kneels, then offers the Sunflower. "Your prize for this information, which I hope proves true and then you shall gain a greater gift in our friendship."
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Anarion
The White Lion

#2196 Post by Anarion »

The petty-dwarf clutches the gift hungrily and watches as the companions depart whence they'd come, back down through the rift behind the waterfall and into the forest below. For a long time he stood upon the precipice watching them pass through the woods, Uialfea in the lead, heading south.

The lands of the Falas appear devoid of habitation, both for good or evil. Each passing day brings the southern clutch of mountains closer and Uialfea leads them along without real fear of being seen. The dwarf's words are mysterious for he hasn't said whether the hidden place they seek is beneath the mountains or within them. It is an odd formation of mountains, very small, only half a dozen towering peaks, surrounded by a score or so of lesser ones. The lower mounts are extend just barely over the treeline and only the six tall peaks have any snow upon their summits.

The companions search at length in the following days, finding nothing, neither entrance to any cave of interest, nor any secret ways to hidden sanctuaries. Finally, upon the western flanks of the mountain they spotted a a slight crack of an entrance within the mountains.

OOC: roll observe TN 15
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2197 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

A lifetime of suffering and torment, Alcarmor thought darkly. He found the mountain paths more difficult to traverse than the others, and he moved more slowly due to his limp. Surely, what he had now was that lifetime!

ooc: Rolled a 3.
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2198 Post by Etherion Fenix »

At the least while they traveled there had been no sign of their foe. Nor any sign of friend either sadly. Still, it lifted his weary heart a little that no ill had yet befallen them.
As they came across the "mountains" and he was hardly want to use that word on these, eyes scan constantly for the mysterious spot the Naugrim had mentioned.

OOOC: Total 15, exactly. :shock:
Anarion
The White Lion

#2199 Post by Anarion »

The crack, just narrow enough for them to slip through widens into a passage into the mountains almost immediately Angloth observes. The placement of brush and the development of further growth around this entrance would conceal it from anyone. Though he could not see what lay deeper within.

A shadow passed over the sun slightly. Alcarmor noticed nothing, but looking up quickly Angloth sees an eagle floating on the updrafts high above them. With a casual flap of its mighty wings it sweeps away to coast upward on the next draft rising up the mountain slope.
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2200 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"Eagles? This place must be watched by Manwe," he spoke mostly to himself then anybody in particular. Angloth keeps moving towards this gap.
Shandiar

#2201 Post by Shandiar »

"An eagle?" Elenquenwë said looking towards the sky. "Perhaps this is the sign we have been looking for as the Valar still support us."

Elbereth, dear kindler of the stars, I hope this is the sign we have been looking for.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2202 Post by Anarion »

The eagle floats on, high above them in the sky. The narrow entrance into the mountain side is at a place where the slopes are nearly sheer, and what is possibly climbable is covered in loose scree that would make it treacherous. One by one the companions slip through the opening, edging along it for a few metres until it widens slowly into a tunnel. It is pitch black within, until Ainare sheds light on it with a whispered word to Lillohtasëa. The granite walls of the tunnel are rough and jagged and the floor is pitched and broken. It is clearly a natural passage. In places it is necessary to climb over fallen rock or duck under low ceilings. The tunnel appears to go neither up nor down all that much, although it does bend around corners. At last there is a glow of natural light ahead, mingling with the light of Ainare's staff. Not a single branch or fork in the tunnel have they found, it is a direct path from one end to the other.

The companions step out into the sunlight to find themselves walled into the mountains within a deep valley, narrow where they stand and broadening in the south. The six high peaks now stand sharply on all sides of them. High in the sky the eagle flies still above them, lower now.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2203 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"This would appear ideal," Alcarmor said. "Ainare, can you call to the eagle? If we befriend them, they would be a most useful ally."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2204 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"Potential, that is what this is." Eyes scanned the area, trying to work out every chink in the mountain armour. "The Naugrim has proved faithful, even under the thrall of greed. If this proves to be a boon we must remember to send another gift of thanks to him." He moved forward to take a better look. Once the Eagle is spoken to we should explore thoroughly and then, return to the Isle." He left that hanging as he wasn't entirely sure how they were to accomplish that feat.

OOC: Total 16 for observe.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2205 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"What he has told to us could just as easily be told to another," Alcarmor warned.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2206 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"So what then would you suggest?" He spoke with a frown.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2207 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Ainare caught Alcarmor's eye and nodded slightly, he believed they were in complete agreement.

"He cannot be allowed to live, especially given the stakes. He is privvy to too much." Ainare spoke with Lillohtasëa, half attempting to convince the spirit.

"The Eagles have likely long known we were here. I can not call to them, but I could perhaps draw further attention to us."
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2208 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"I advise caution - and, perhaps, that we do not simply abandon the Naugrim, but make him our friend. He holds great bitterness for our race, but should we act to allay his suspicions, he would be a useful ally. If it took Uialfea to track him down, then his skills at woodscraft are formidable indeed." Alcarmor rubbed his scarred chin. "Likewise, the Eagles. Either one could provide us with advance warning should our position be discovered - and the Eagles may be able to help us find a second way out of this place. Concealment is not enough: should the Enemy discover our presence here, we would be trapped too easily as it stands."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Shandiar

#2209 Post by Shandiar »

"Gondolin is intertwined with Ulmo and his blessing. It would be folly to believe we had any incident with the Eagles for something great."

Low he whistled, soon in a stronger tone. Eagles were not bent to his will, that much he knew, but perhaps this eagle had a message from the Valar in store for them.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2210 Post by Anarion »

Not in response to any call or request the eagle folds its wings in a stoop and plummets toward them, and then extends them broadly to brake its descent before coming to rest settled upon a large outcrop above them. It is vast in size, a great eagle of Manwë indeed, though nowhere near the bulk attributed to the legendary Thorondor, whose eyrie is upon Thangorodrim itself.

"Greetings Noldor," it says in clear Sindar. "For many days have I watched you from aloft, ere you have found this hidden kingdom, the first of your people to lay eyes upon it." It falls silent, looking at them with its piercing clear gaze, unblinking.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2211 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Greetings, great child of Manwe," Alcarmor said, bowing respectfully to the mighty raptor. "I am Alcarmor Aranion; with me are Angloth, Elenquenwe, Ainare and Uialfea. We have been searching for a hidden place when our people might live, for we are much beset by the forces of Morgoth."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2212 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Angloth nods at Alcarmors words, exactly what he had thought. Though any chance for further words was swiftly taken by the winged arrival of the great eagle. He remained silent still as Alcarmor spoke words of greeting and intent.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2213 Post by Anarion »

The eagle cocks its head to one side slightly, fixing a single great golden eye upon them. "I am Lintaramë," he says. In reply to Alcarmor he says, "You have found such a haven from Morgoth. In all the years that I have had my eyrie upon these mountains no one has ever set foot upon these places except the beasts and birds that live here. Save for one only. The minions of Morgoth pass through these lands often though, for the Falas is a rich land. Yet none has espied the hidden entrance.

We servants of Manwë have our homes above and our eyes upon this place. It would be safe enough."
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2214 Post by Shandiar »

"Greetings child of Manwë." Elenquenwë said as he marvelled at its beauty, its bearing and its noble presence. "So this place is safe? What is it called by the Lords of the Sky?"
High Priest of ASS
Dargon

#2215 Post by Dargon »

Uialfëa found himself greatly comforted by the words of the Eagle. This place was a mighty natural sanctuary indeed, and aided by the arts of the Eldar, the entrance could perhaps be concealed further still, so that even the Noegyth Nibin could not find his way to it again.
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Anarion
The White Lion

#2216 Post by Anarion »

"It is safe for now," Lintaramë answered. "No place is safe forever, not while the malice of Morgoth endures." He shifts restlessly. "If you have need of me you have but to call when I am aloft." With several beats of his powerful wings he launches into the air.

The companions are left to explore the hidden land, which proves to be bountiful and well protected. Lintaramë shows them a second route out of the sanctuary, a high pass through the western mountains, one which ends upon a cliff face. There is no visible route down but the companions observe mountain goats climbing it. There is a way, however treacherous. Both entrances could be held long against an enemy.

Lillohtasëa stirs in Ainare's hands finally, slow to respond to his thought. "I do not understand your malice to the child of Aule. But if this place is to remain secret, his silence must be ensured."

OOC: do you wish to do something about the dwarf now or just return to the Isle to begin the settlement?
Never moon a werewolf.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2217 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

It is not so much a matter of malice, he knows of our plans for a settlement and its location. He is not of the Noldor and is mistrusted even amongst his own people, he cannot be trusted given the gravity of the circumstance.

OOC: Can we discuss this on MSN at somepoint?
Shandiar

#2218 Post by Shandiar »

"So...what now?" Elenquenwë probed the others for their next move. "This vale looks safe for now and it's easy to defend, but we cannot sit idle on our hands in a hidden vale hoping Morgoth will not strike for he will. We will have to move against him once more, but I do not know how." The minstrel sighed feeling more burdened than he could remember.
"I know what you are thinking - that the Naugrimm knows of this place, but we shouldn't touch him. Though dangerous it is the way of Morgoth, first to bribe, persuade and trick, then to kill or deceive. I will know naught of that."
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2219 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"You should return to the Isle swiftly to bring crasftman and builders. I will see to our "friend" in the north, I will offer him sanctuary, or at the least friendship." That he had been he one to so bribe him probably put him in good steed he left unsaid.
Dargon

#2220 Post by Dargon »

"I would aid Angloth in his task. There has been too much death and destruction of late, and I find I no longer have a taste for it", Uialfëa criptically echoed what Elenquenwë had alluded to, but deliberately left unsaid, without doubt on all their minds - the option of silencing the Dwarf permanently. It was... wise. But to repay the exraordinary gift of this hidden sanctuary with cold, heartless death? No, Elenquenwë had the right of it. Such action was the way of Morgoth.

"I find the offer of sanctuary a wise one. The Child of Aule is crafty, and will likely detect the presence of the enemy long before even we do. If the enemy come, he can seek us out to conceal and protect him before the enemy are even aware of him, which will serve our purpose equally."
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]