Tales of Beleriand

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Dargon

Re: Tales of Beleriand

#2251 Post by Dargon »

Uialfëa was likwise to find a measure of comfort in their all too temporary respite from the ravages of Morgoth. He had taken often to losing himself amid the wilderness of this new land, and revelled at the peace of being alone and one with a natural world relatively free of the taint of Orc or Man. Many a time, Uialfëa found himself sitting for hours upon the Naugrim's private plateau, and simply... watching.

Though Uialfëa took great pleasure in satisfying his natural curiosity, his explorations were not without purpose. Always he would endeavour to return with what food he could manage alone for the settlers, and more importantly, detailed maps of his findings. They had learned to considerable sorrow that the Great Enemy was not to be underestimated, and Alcarmor would have need of contingencies. Every secret Uialfëa could glean from this place might prove a potential weapon in the future, and he hoped to uncover and record every one long before the settlers might ever have need.
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Anarion
The White Lion

#2252 Post by Anarion »

Lintaramë cocked his head and fixed a golden eye upon the minstrel. "If your heart calls to this maid, then why do you not go to her?" Elenquenwë also spoke to the loremasters who had joined them, and they urged him too to seek out Maedhros and Maglor for other reasons. "Surely the knowledge of the sons of Fëanor can be added to our burgeoning trove," they said. The eagle ruffled its wings. "I will bear you thence if you wish it, Elenquenwë."

Angloth raised the great wooden doors into the gate, the first part of the wall of the new city that was raised. The heavy doors he banded in iron and inset with jewels. Above it the capstone of the gate was set.

"It would be best," said Telumendil at the meeting, "If the naming of the city was done by those who discovered this fair place."

OOC: alright a couple wrap up posts and then we'll leave the establishment of the city to unnamed artisans. I've some plans to kick off.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2253 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"I propose that this place be called Nan Thoronald, The Valley of Hidden Eagles," Alcarmor said.
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Shandiar

#2254 Post by Shandiar »

"She has always been close to heart and mind, but these days are not easy for travellers, though fair their purpose may be. I will gladly take your offer, for the sons of Fëanor deserve to hear the news as well so we all can plan accordingly." Elenquenwë said deeply pleased. "For this you will always be a kind friend Lintaramë and if I can repay you in any way, I promise I will."

The minstrel smiled and praised Alcarmors suggestion. "A sound and fitting name, as well as a reassuring one."
High Priest of ASS
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2255 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

OOC: Apologies for post delay.

Ainare sought out Angloth at the gateway, "Angloth, as mighty and tall as we make our walls, they will be wholly insufficient. I would have you assist me in making them true bastions against the enemy."
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2256 Post by Etherion Fenix »

For a moment Angloth stopped in thought, then nodded. "It seems a worthy name to me."

He turned from the work of finishing the doors, the capstone just being laid as Ainare spoke. "What have you in mind?" He spoke with general curiousity.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2257 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

"I seek a vessel to bear my enchantments, you are the only one here known to me that could provide the means to do so. Your moon-letters would suit my needs. As might as these walls are, they would shield us from sling, arrow, orc and atanahini alike, but against prying eyes and curious minds they offer nothing. I offer an answer to an unasked question."
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2258 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"Let me then be the instrument of fate. Though," he raises a hand. "Perhaps only those Edain who carry the shadow of darkness in their hearts may be blinded to that which we see. Not all have turned from our ways as those of the East did."
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Anarion
The White Lion

#2259 Post by Anarion »

Lintaramë bore Elenquenwë up on his back, his gigantic size making the weight of the Noldo seem like a trifle and the minstrel soon became one of the few who had been borne aloft in this way. The land below seemed distant and it was cold, though Elenquenwë was unaffected. The eagle flew swiftly east; looking below him Elenquenwë could see river and forest and plain in a tapestry of color.

OOC: Ainare and Angloth check your respective spell TN's and proceed. This will be my only post today, workday from hell upcoming.
Never moon a werewolf.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2260 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

OOC: Like you need to ask! Auto-pass, but have some freebie rolls just 'cause I'm feeling generous. 7, 4, 10, 7
Shandiar

#2261 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë was in awe at the sight of Beleriand below, it was as if he was looking down at an immense map perfectly drawn and cared for every detail and the minstrel loved every second of the travel.

"Lintaramë, this is fantastic, I envy you and your brothers wings and ability to fly, but also hold you in higher esteem than ever before, because of this."
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2262 Post by Etherion Fenix »

With care and precision, Angloth began the process of inscribing the letters upon the walls. Each delicately crafted so not a thing would fail.

OOC: Rolled 7, 5, 9, 8. I think I'm near auto-pass also.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2263 Post by Anarion »

Angloth and Ainare begin their work of veiling the newly established city of Nan Thoronald, the smith carefully etching the moonletters into the stones of the gate while the magician mingles his own enchantments about them. All about them the work goes on apace and will for a long time. Alcarmor and Uialfea aid where they can, organizing supporting tasks. The ranger soon brings back a detailed knowledge of the valley and its surroundings. Alcarmor still leads, though he urges for a true leadership to be established. "But who is fit to lead us?" asked Telumendil.

Lintaramë slowly descends toward the hills below. The trip has been far quicker than could be achieved any other way. He had paused for rest in the hills of Andram on night, and the next day the rest of the distance covered. Keen eyes sighted Noldor below and as they grew closer Elenquenwë too could see familiar faces and a settlement he recognized as one left several years before. Then the minstrel alighted from the eagle's broad back and Lintaramë surged aloft once more, calling, "I will return ere long." With wonderment about him Elenquenwë soon found himself before his lord Maglor, and Maedhros, sons of Fëanor. "What mystery is this?" they asked.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2264 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë bowed as he took their hands in turn while he said. "My Lords, assemble the council, we have much to discuss."

The minstrel recounted in great detail their trip as they headed out in search of Alcarmor, bearing gifts for the remaining Noldo leaders. "Much evil have befallen the North with the remaining Edain dispossessed and Hithlum in enemy hands. Still Gondolin remain hidden though."
His beautiful voice continued with the encounter with the men of Brethil, the rescue of the Edain from the Easterlings clutches and their first appearance in the caves of Nargothrond. "There we were greeted as kin and King Orodreth was presented with one of the gifts."

Elenquenwës voice had a sad ring to it as he continued. Of the rescue of the scout from the catacombs of Tol Sirion, of the grand army Morgoth had sent south, of Gorfaug and of the discoveries of the serpent, of these things he talked. Great was the crowds amazement at the fall of Gorfaug. And great was the sorrow at the fall of king Orodreth, the kings guard and the sack and destruction of Nargothrond.

"We have gathered the survivors from Nargothrond in a hidden vale Nan Thoronald with Cirdan Shipwrights blessing. It has been a long time and I thought you had better receiving the news and of our fate as well." The minstrel said without revealing the true location of the vale.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2265 Post by Anarion »

A great murmur arose at this news, though not all of it was news to the sons of Fëanor. The elves surrounding him began to speak all at once, but Elenquenwë's attention was drawn away from them, for at the outskirts of the council appeared Tiniel, and his own sister Nimlorn. Both of them had tears of joy in their eyes.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2266 Post by Shandiar »

"Tiniel! Nimlorn!" He said with a smile full of happiness. "How I have missed you so dearly. I am delighted to see you are both well."

He took Nimlorns hands and looked her deeply in her eyes. "I bring greetings from Ainare, he is well too." Finally he took Tiniels hands, but his voice failed him in the aura of her beauty.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2267 Post by Anarion »

Tiniel embraced Elenquenwë warmly, her lips brushing a greeting across his cheeks. No more than that, for decorum ruled in the presence of her father and uncles. She smiled happily. "I feared I would not see you again," she whispered. "Are you here to stay this time?"

OOC: long weekend here in Canada, but I'm back in action now.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2268 Post by Shandiar »

He smiled back no less joy on his face. "I promised I would be back, but the road was long and full of peril. I cannot promise the road will end soon, but that is matters we need to discuss the three of us. As you heard we have established a new haven at Nan Thoronald to the west. I wish for both of you to accompany me there, if not now then as soon as possible." Elenquenwë said full of renewed hope
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2269 Post by Anarion »

Nimlorn simply nodded. "If you wish it brother, I will go with you." But Tiniel said, "If my father Maglor consents, then I am with you. We have spent enough time apart, Elenquenwë and I wish that to end. Nonetheless, only if Maglor agrees."

She gives him a gentle push toward the second son of Fëanor, and the minstrel is aware that she is eager to be with him.

OOC: rolled insight for Elenquenwë
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2270 Post by Shandiar »

"Maglor my lord and liege. For a long time I have carried out your wishes and orders of the sons of Fëanor, and I have done so willingly well aware of the risks and the rewards if we are to succeed."
He paused and met Maglors wise gaze.
"Now I feel it is my turn to ask for a favour and your blessing. I will ask you for Tiniel to accompany me to Nan Thoronald to build a fair future for us and the city. But... I do not wish to cut off all communication, we will have need of each other ere long I'm afraid."
The minstrel bowed signalling his speech was over.
High Priest of ASS
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2271 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

In Nan Thorinald, Alcarmor continued to address the issue of government. Although he was reluctant to simply take control of the city, he could see that he was the lord in all but name. Using his authority, then, he traveled through the new settlement to talk to the different groups: the weavers, the masons, the farmers, the soldiers. To each group, he spoke of a ruling council, and asked for them to choose one from amongst them to serve upon it. When this was done, he and his comrades would lay down their authority - unless they were chosen for the council. Alcarmor expected that Elenquenwe and Angloth would be chosen to be amongst the twelve sitting on the council; for himself, he would accept a seat if asked to, but otherwise the prospect of a rest felt highly appealing.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Anarion
The White Lion

#2272 Post by Anarion »

Maglor appraised Elenquenwë with a smile. "It is what Tiniel has long wished for," he said. "You have my blessing to do this. You are right I fear, we will have need of each other again." After a time, Elenquenwë returned to Nan Thoronald with his sister Nimlorn, and Tiniel accompanying him.

Alcarmor's designs for the rule of the city are met receptively. In acceptance of his own wishes they agreed to let the scarred lord not sit upon the council, though Telumendil was clear that Alcarmor's advice would ever be sought. As chiefs among their respective skills Ainare, Angloth and Elenquenwë were all asked to take seats if they would.

OOC: see my PM.
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2273 Post by Etherion Fenix »

It was with reluctance that Angloth accepted the council seat. Politics and the minutiae of such a position did not so appeal but so many of those of stature and glory had been lost that he found himself unwilling to leave the settlement without guidance.
For each position he crafted a small symbol of authority, medallions with the name of their new home and words of truth, guidance and reason upon the other side.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2274 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor's thoughts drifted now. He sat quietly and restfully in a small garden, outside the council chambers, and dozed lightly in gentle meditation. This was true lordliness, he decided. He had ensured through his actions that the people of Nan Thoronald would have the best chance possible. In an era of darkness, their settlement would be a light that would burn brightly as a symbol of how hope would never be lost for those who strove for it. Now, his labours complete, he cast his mind to what he would do next. The lull of peace tempted him, but there was still one great unresolved ill that he had wrought which still lingered on his conscience.

"Uruviel," he whispered to himself.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Shandiar

#2275 Post by Shandiar »

Never had he felt such content and happiness. Here he was protected by the natural geography and eagles soaring the sky with his one true love and his brother and sister. Still the thought of the enemy lingered close in his mind and Elenquenwë continued his studies with renewed vigour with his mind on Tiniel, their forthcoming baby and the safety of the city, never lowering his guard.

He had gladly accepted his duties in the council, being there to inpsire and offer his council to those who would need it for the best of Nan Thoronald, it was a blessed time for the minstrel.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2276 Post by Anarion »

OOC: For whatever small readership we have (I know there are one or two of you), Tales of Beleriand is on indefinite hiatus while we are still at a point where we can leave it and not be mid adventure. It may be picked up again some day when I can do it justice.
Never moon a werewolf.
Lorien

#2277 Post by Lorien »

It is a pity that this RP has been stopped; I would be pleased to see it resume again.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2278 Post by Anarion »

Thanks. However since I now only drop by less than occasionally I think I can safely close the book on this RP.

I had plans to work the inhabitants of Nan Thoronald through the stories of the second and third kinslayings and the fall of Gondolin. After that, any who survived the kinslayings would further engage in the War of Wrath and the sinking of Beleriand. That would have concluded the First Age and any survivors would have been some of the greatest elves of the second age.

Unfortunately that would have taken another 50-75 pages to tell and I just didn't feel I could do it.
Never moon a werewolf.