You probably never saw this coming

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

Re: You probably never saw this coming

#31 Post by Ricold »

I'm going to turn that last question around at the users: Any last objections?
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#32 Post by Prince of Spires »

Depends. Will we remain 'Ulthuan.net' or will it be Ulthuan.Druchii.net

The first, no issue. In that case it would be simply a technical thing. The second I'm less sure about.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#33 Post by Ricold »

In the same way we were briefly 45.40.135.47/~ulthuan/forum we will briefly be ulthuan.druchii.net while we transfer the domain name across
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Daeron
Scotty? Laforge? Kaylee? Engy? Evil Wrench?

#34 Post by Daeron »

I doubt it is Naggie's intention to remain at Asrai.druchii.net.

In theory.. I think it's possible to cut down the downtime of ulthuan.net. Ricold, how large is the database?
Unless I'm mistaken, what we could do is do a file migration (and include the db for giggles), but disable the forum on the druchii.net host. Then, migrate the DNS. As soon as the DNS changed, deactivate the board on this host, and then migrate the database again to update to the latest state. If the database is very big, then you could just update the latest posts, but that's a little... well.. messy :P

That should avoid needing "ulthuan.druchii.net" as much as possible, with one small inconvenience: there may be a brief moment when the board is "disabled" (but otherwise online)
Oops
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#35 Post by Ricold »

Daeron wrote:Ricold, how large is the database?
Just over 1GB
Daeron
Scotty? Laforge? Kaylee? Engy? Evil Wrench?

#36 Post by Daeron »

That lies just outside the comfort zone for a quick migration, so it'll be either a brief downtime (a couple of hours?) or a more complex migration which includes an update.
Oops
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#37 Post by Ricold »

In which case I'm making a decision. We will be going to the Druchii server, and we'll have downtime to deal with in the middle.

The slight flaw with your plan there Daeron is that DNS changes have been known to take up to a week to propose to all the cache servers across the internet. We'll just have to deal with that though.
Giladis
The Merlord

#38 Post by Giladis »

Full speed ahead guys and damn the torpedoes.

United we stand.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#39 Post by Ferny »

+1 public vote of support for Ricold with this decision, and indeed any you might make. Good luck with the transition tech guys, and many thanks for all the behind-the-scenes support.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
The Duke of Tiranoc

#40 Post by The Duke of Tiranoc »

Hi All

First time poster under this name (I'm an old member - I used to be on here as username Cyrannoc)

This seems like an excellent idea, I just logged in today to check-in after a very loooooooong absence

I used to be on here all the time! and the merger of Asrai, Druchii and Ulthuan is great.

A few concerns:

How do I log-in under my old name 'Cyrannoc', I've tried resetting my password (I long-ago forgot it!)
Perhaps this is something the admin can help with?

But also, what does the merger mean for all the old content and my re-ignited passion for High Elves and plogging about them...? - will we get to keep our usernames and content, or is it Tabula Rasa?
I'd really like to get back involved with the community here (ideally under my old username, with access to all of my old content too - especially the custom banners I made ages ago).

I'd really appreciate a response and some help from someone who can please?
Last edited by The Duke of Tiranoc on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#41 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

As far as merging goes, for now what you see is what it is. We kind of decided we didn't want to give up Ulthuan, and not much as acutally happened on the DE/WE side either.
The Duke of Tiranoc

#42 Post by The Duke of Tiranoc »

Hi

Can Anyone help please (I'm note sure if this is the right place, but it does seem to be a fairly active thread...)

As I said in my last post here:

How do I log-in under my old name 'Cyrannoc', I've already tried resetting my password (I long-ago forgot it!)

But I haven't received the reset link / password / procedure at my email address.

Does anyone have any ideas why?

Perhaps this is something that an admin can help with?

Really very much appreciated - I would love to have access to all my old posts / content here if possible..
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#43 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

That bit I can't help with. I'm not 100% sure any of our admins can anymore either. We're are on the dark elf server now, so i'm not sure how much techincal control anyone here has. It's possible that a post on their site will be seen soon by the guy most able to help.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#44 Post by SpellArcher »

Shannar may well be right but hopefully Rod will log in tomorrow and as Loremaster, he may be able to shed more light.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#45 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome back. I am in fact able to help you. I just wasn't online yesterday. 2 small kids kept me busy... ;)

I've changed your password and send an email to the email address attached to the Cyrannoc account. Please let me know if you've received it. If not, I'll try something else. Once you log in, you should be in your old account with all the old posts.

In general, I've got access to most things, as long as they are not technical. So, if you've got any questions, shoot me a PM or email.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
The Duke of Tiranoc

#46 Post by The Duke of Tiranoc »

Thanks very much Prince of Spires.

I have received your email and the replacement password

I will attempt a log-in under my old alter-ego.

This might not be the last you will hear from The Duke...

Very much appreciated.
Cyrannoc

#47 Post by Cyrannoc »

Huzzah!

"It is I! Cyrannoc, back from the dead after a long meditation in the Tower of Hoeth.

Much has changed since I walked these lands..."

So can I log-into the druchii fotums using the same handle & password or do I have to set up a new user.

Is this forum becoming a complete ghost town, or are things still alive & kicking?

Be nice to know where I should start my new painting log...
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/lodek0wn.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img]
[img]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4286/wolvesofulthuanbanner02.th.jpg[/img]
Learned Something New Today
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#48 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Still separate sites, so separate accounts.

We're still alive. Not what we once were, but alive. Any new content you can give us only helps.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#49 Post by Prince of Spires »

What Shannar sais. We're not as big and active as we once were. But we're still here and doing better then many WH sites.

Painting logs are probably best placed in the Painting and Modelling section. Also, if at some later point you think it should be moved I can just move it around for you. So nothing is final. :)

Welcome back.

Check out my plog